View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

NoOkie
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm definitely not bummed that we're going to dodge 6+ inches. A few inches with the slick roads may be bad enough if I have to travel tomorrow.

venture
12-25-2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd2209.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2209
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1102 AM CST TUE DEC 25 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...SWRN/W-CNTRL/S-CNTRL OK...WRN NORTH TX

CONCERNING...BLIZZARD

VALID 251702Z - 252100Z

SUMMARY...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE DEVELOPING ACROSS
SWRN/W-CNTRL/S-CNTRL OK...AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH AROUND 22-23Z.
NLY WINDS OF 25-35 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS OF 40-45 MPH WILL COMBINE
WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-1.5 IN/HR TO GENERATE NEAR-ZERO
VISIBILITIES AND WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

DISCUSSION...LATEST SFC MESOANALYSIS AND OK MESONET OBSERVATIONS
SUGGEST THAT THE TIGHT SFC PRESSURE GRADIENT AND STRENGTH OF THE
LOW-LEVEL FLOW ARE TRENDING STRONGER THAN THE BULK OF SHORT-RANGE
MODEL GUIDANCE. WITH CONTINUED DEEPENING OF AN E-TX SFC
LOW...LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL FURTHER STRENGTHEN. THIS IS SUGGESTED BY
RAPID-REFRESH FORECAST SOUNDINGS...WHICH DEPICT 0-1-KM MEAN FLOW
INCREASING TO ABOVE 40 KT DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS. INCREASING
DIFFERENTIAL COLD ADVECTION AND DECREASING STATIC STABILITY IN THE
LOWEST KILOMETER AGL WILL ALLOW THIS FLOW TO BE MANIFESTED AT THE
SFC AS SUSTAINED WINDS OF 25-35 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS OF 40-45
MPH. THESE WINDS WILL COMBINE WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-1.5
IN/HR...AS ADDRESSED IN MESOSCALE DISCUSSION NUMBER 2208...TO
GENERATE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS WITH NEAR-ZERO VISIBILITIES AND
WIDESPREAD BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. QUARTER-MILE VISIBILITIES HAVE
ALREADY BEEN OBSERVED AT CLINTON OK WITH 30 KT SUSTAINED WINDS
GUSTING TO 38 KT...AND SIMILAR CONDITIONS WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE
AREA THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. THESE WINDS/SNOW SHOULD CONTINUE THROUGH
AROUND 22-23Z. ACCORDINGLY...THIS BLIZZARD MESOSCALE DISCUSSION HAS
BEEN ISSUED UPON COORDINATION WITH THE NORMAN OK WEATHER FORECAST
OFFICE.

..COHEN.. 12/25/2012

ATTN...WFO...FWD...OUN...

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Like most weather, predicting snow is not an exact science, even up here in Colorado. They were saying it should start around 6:00 last night here, there was none as we got out of the 5:00 Christmas Eve church service, it was around 7:30 when we started getting some at dinner out in Parker. On the road home to Aurora we could see that it had been going on a little longer. Totals are an even more inexact science, last winter they predicted a trace and we had 14" of snow.

I understand a bit of the vitriol and a little of it is probably warranted, but then again, I never change my plans on what the weather might do, and I do complain when we don't get the 'white death' as so often hyped here when the s-word enters the forecast.

I travel in as prepared a fashion as I can and let the weather sort itself out.

That being said, it is what Christmas Day should be. It's way too damned cold to be outdoors, it's not in the mid- to high 50s as many of them are, too cold to really do much, too warm for a fire in the fireplace, the gray-green-brown usualness of an Oklahoma winter day.

It's freezing, almost wretched, inclement, gray-sky soul comfort food.

Ham's in the oven, fire is coming on and crackling, cider is on the stove mulling, sleet is ticking off the windows outside, the house is warm and fragrant, the dog and cat are asleep in front of the hearth near the Christmas tree. I have three books to read and four old clocks that need repairing.

I and mine are warm, safe, and well.

That's not a bad Christmas.

venture
12-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Precip rates are starting to increase a good deal now over Cleveland and Southern Oklahoma counties. We are now almost 100% snow in Norman.

venture
12-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Updated in new post.

venture
12-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Urgent - winter weather message...updated
national weather service norman ok
1137 am cst tue dec 25 2012

okz016-022-023-027-035-038>041-046-050-260145-
/o.can.koun.ws.w.0001.000000t0000z-121226t0600z/
/o.new.koun.bz.w.0001.121225t1737z-121226t0600z/
custer-wa****a-caddo-grady-kiowa-comanche-stephens-garvin-murray-
carter-love-
including the cities of...weatherford...clinton...cordell...
Anadarko...chickasha...hobart...lawton...duncan... pauls valley...
Sulphur...ardmore...marietta
1137 am cst tue dec 25 2012

...blizzard warning in effect until midnight cst tonight...
...winter storm warning is cancelled...

The national weather service in norman has issued a blizzard
warning...which is in effect until midnight cst tonight. The
winter storm warning has been cancelled.

* timing: Blizzard conditions from snow...blowing snow...strong
winds...and visibilities below one quarter mile at times will
occur through this evening. Any precipitation will turn to snow
by 2 pm cst. The heaviest snow will occur through 6 pm cst
before tapering to flurries. However...blizzard conditions will
likely continue during the evening hours due to strong winds.
Improving conditions will occur after midnight cst as winds
diminish.

* main impact: Blizzard conditions can be expected at times. The
combination of total snow accumulations of 2 to 6 inches with
locally heavier amounts...north winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to
45 mph...and visibilities under a quarter mile at times will
cause whiteout conditions. Considerable drifting will also
occur...especially on west to east roads.

* other impacts: Considerable blowing and drifting snow and
whiteout conditions will continue to make travel hazardous this
afternoon and evening. Wind chill values will be in the -10 to
+20 range allowing for possible hypothermia.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Do not travel! Stay inside! Strong winds and blinding snow will
make travel nearly impossible. This is a life threatening storm.

venture
12-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm not going to be completely shocked to see McClain and Cleveland added to the Blizzard Warning if the heavier precip continues to build north. Right now it is about 10 miles away to the South of Norman proper.

Achilleslastand
12-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Whats the forecast for the NW metro area? 1-2 inches still?

venture
http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radar/screengrab.png

yukong
Venure79, is the metro/north metro pretty much out of it?

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I can't tell if it is me looking through my snow-goggles or my eyes are really deceiving me, but it looks like the system may have already started its jog to the east north east? This would pull those blizzard bands right into Central OK. In fact, I am just north of downtown OKC and it is snowing moderately at the moment. Winds are beginning to pick up. The snow is very dry, so it is being tossed around everywhere. If it continues to increase, it will definitely approach blizzard-like levels or very close soon.

Perhaps we all blew the whistle a little early for a bust for OKC?

venture
12-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Venure79, is the metro/north metro pretty much out of it?

Considering the Metro area is 9 counties, it is definitely going to vary. LOL

Grady County (still part of the Metro area) is under the Blizzard warning. I think McClain and Cleveland could see near Blizzard Conditions at times this afternoon. Canadian, Oklahoma, Pott counties are going to be right on the edge of a light 1-2" to southern sections could see 3-5". North of there in Kingfisher, Logan, and Lincoln counties probably looking at more of around an inch maybe 2 in spots if you get under a good shower.

BBatesokc
12-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Just got out a few minutes ago in SE OKC near Tinker. Streets were actually fine. No slipping whatsoever. Made a 7-11 and CVS run.

Morganwxright
12-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I invite you to follow me on twitter
@Morganwxright

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Look at north east OK, looks like Tulsa is about to get in on the action. WSW are being issued for virtually the entire state with the exception of extreme NW OK.

If the bands developing near Tulsa connect with the ones in central OK, we could get some nice banding action that can drop a few extra inches.

venture
12-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Look at north east OK, looks like Tulsa is about to get in on the action. WSW are being issued for virtually the entire state with the exception of extreme NW OK.

If the bands developing near Tulsa connect with the ones in central OK, we could get some nice banding action that can drop a few extra inches.

I'm a little concerned we'll see the bulk of the energy start to move east quickly that will cause Central OK to see a bit of a dip in the action compared to Western and Eastern OK. We'll have to wait and see how this continues to evolve.

venture
12-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Starting to see more 30+ mph sustain and 40+ mph gusts showing up.
http://www.mesonet.org/data/public/mesonet/maps/realtime/current.gustarrows.gif?1356459673506

venture
12-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Looks like a break in the falling precip continues to move in east of I-35 and north of Hwy 9.

Plutonic Panda
12-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Looks like a break in the falling precip continues to move in east of I-35 and north of Hwy 9.Permanent break?

venture
12-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Permanent break?

Hard to say. Not seeing much redevelopment back to the NE except up in NE OK. HRRR wants to keep a good amount of snow for the area just south of I-40, but I think it is off by 40 miles.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/from_jet/hrrr_dev1/2012122515/t5/acsnw_t5sfc_f15.png

OKCisOK4me
12-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Off of Waterloo & Midwest Boulevard its the usual story...thin layer of ice and an occasional snowflake ore two at least right now. Have seen some light snow and right right now....nothing.

Plutonic Panda
12-25-2012, 11:44 AM
:( ..... well hopefully something might change. Thats what I'm hoping for.

venture
12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Pending redevelopment or some wrap around, yeah...we are pretty much done now. Just down to a light flurry here in Norman now.

venture
12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh and for those that are wondering, yes the Jan 1st storm is gone but GFS has accumulating snow on Jan 2nd. ;) I guess I should look at the entire run before speaking. LOL

ZYX2
12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm not very good at reading radars and such.....does it look like Bixby could see any snow?

blangtang
12-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Winter Storm Euclid is petering out here in OKC

Jesseda
12-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Pending redevelopment or some wrap around, yeah...we are pretty much done now. Just down to a light flurry here in Norman now.

so the so called snowstorm here in oklahoma city is over completely? Wow I love how the news channel kept saying early this morning that they warned us it was coming and now its here, ummm where? not really here in okc like they said it would, a dusting and sleet is not a storm

venture
12-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Winter Storm Euclid is petering out here in OKC

I should slap you for even using the stupid Weather Channel winter storm names. :-P

so the so called snowstorm here in oklahoma city is over completely? Wow I love how the news channel kept saying early this morning that they warned us it was coming and now its here, ummm where? not really here in okc like they said it would, a dusting and sleet is not a storm

The main snow belt is still established 25 miles to the SW of Downtown OKC. Now don't take this the wrong way but...

25 MILES

That really isn't that far off when you consider the typical variance in weather forecast models and how I've always hit on these things can give or take 50-75 miles. This storm was also advertised to have a tight gradient, but initially it was flipped here OKC would have the snow and places like Norman and Pauls Valley would be dry or very little. From the way it is shaping up, the 12Z NAM nailed this.

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/models/nam/221/maps/2012/12/25/12/NAM_221_2012122512_F24_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Dustin
12-25-2012, 12:52 PM
This sucks...

Jesseda
12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
This sucks...

Yeah I was telling my kiddos last night that there mom can make snow cream tonight and that they can make snow angels and have snowball fights.. um well i lied. The news is just ratings, and with the weather (an everything else) they talk the worse all the time to keep people watching even when they know that its going to not happen they still try talking it up to the very end. I hate the news lately because of that crap

rx7guy
12-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know how the roads are on the majority of reno between morgan and say may?

Bunty
12-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Winter storm warning dropped for Stillwater. Very little ice or snow there. Stillwater was often near the edge of snow and ice areas so highways just outside of town may be slick in spots.

SoonerDave
12-25-2012, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=rx7guy;606235]Does anyone know how the roads are on the majority of reno between morgan and say may?[/QUOTE

Ice covered beneath a decent dusting of snow. Exercise caution, keep speed modest. Easy to spin out.

WilliamTell
12-25-2012, 02:19 PM
im going back to my old winter weather lifestyle.

im not following this thread and not watching the idiots on tv talk this thing up for 2 weeks to have a light dusting.

OKCisOK4me
12-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I still have to drive 20+ miles.

Bunty
12-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not very good at reading radars and such.....does it look like Bixby could see any snow?

I doubt it. I suspect most of the entire northeast quadrant of Oklahoma has been bypassed by this storm.

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Damn! What a bust! This storm was very complex. The models seemed to have it down after the consistency for the last 2-3 days until the night of, then it all blew up.

I feel bad for the local media and forecasters everywhere.

At least we saw snowflakes on Christmas Day. That was cool. Alright on to the next system (that we won't talk about until it is [maybe] here.

Easy180
12-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Newsok.com still has this graphic up lol

Winter weather: Tracking the Christmas storm

Follow along with winter storm updates, road closings and travel conditions here. Up to 7 inches of snow are possible on Christmas Day in Oklahoma City.

bandnerd
12-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah I was telling my kiddos last night that there mom can make snow cream tonight and that they can make snow angels and have snowball fights.. um well i lied. The news is just ratings, and with the weather (an everything else) they talk the worse all the time to keep people watching even when they know that its going to not happen they still try talking it up to the very end. I hate the news lately because of that crap

So, this should be a lesson learned for both mom and kids: never make promises that involve weather, especially winter weather, in Oklahoma.

There is enough snow on the ground for snow angels, still. I should hope that your entire day wasn't ruined because we didn't get as much snow as you promised.

Achilleslastand
12-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Agreed......
Fear mongering ,sensationalism and ratings at its finest{or worst}.

Bill Robertson
12-25-2012, 05:02 PM
My most sincere apologies to all of those who wanted a real snow storm. But for me it means I don't have to be at work in the wee hours in the morning to clear the parking, sidewalks, ramp and taxiway. Sorry for any seflishness but after dreading the past few days of forecasts this is a truly Merry Christmas for me.

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Damn! What a bust! This storm was very complex. The models seemed to have it down after the consistency for the last 2-3 days until the night of, then it all blew up.

I feel bad for the local media and forecasters everywhere.

At least we saw snowflakes on Christmas Day. That was cool. Alright on to the next system (that we won't talk about until it is [maybe] here.

One particular forecaster seemed rather militant in saying he called it over while everyone else was dealing dire imprecations. Still, one would think that as new data became available, the model outputs would get better (more accurate). Maybe they did, I dunno, but we sure got nowhere near even an inch here, although that sparse amount has blown back and forth across the yard a hundred times.

My daughter texted me from Harrah and said some of the weather guys on TV were doing a mea culpa..we blew it, we miscalculated, etc, but I didn't see it.

Based on what Venture said earlier about the 25 mile thing, I don't know if it's scientifically correct to say they got it wrong, but if they did, there ought to be some quality control measures they can look at...process improvement, etc. Certainly not saying they ought to jail them like those idiots did in Italy for the seismologists failing to predict the earthquake, but these guys cried "wolf" a lot, half the town cancelled Christmas plans, and there's not even enough snow for Frosty the Dwarf Snowman.

Lots of disappointed kids of all ages, and lots of p*ssed off adults who watch TV news.

Philosophically, I'm OK with it. Does no good to be p*ssed off at the sky like primitive savages, and snow on Christmas is really just background mood music for the holiday, and what we got filled the bill nicely.

No idea how people in warm climates can even have Christmas. I hear all the bragging about going to the beach on Christmas day, cooking out, etc, and I can't think of a more horrible way to spend the day than that. A warm Christmas. It's like ....warm beer. Maybe worse.

If you listen to the "Snow Miser" part of the song from The Year Without a Santa Claus, you'll have my entire philosophy on what perfect weather would be. "I never wanna know a day that's over 40 degrees..."

Easy180
12-25-2012, 05:23 PM
My most sincere apologies to all of those who wanted a real snow storm. But for me it means I don't have to be at work in the wee hours in the morning to clear the parking, sidewalks, ramp and taxiway. Sorry for any seflishness but after dreading the past few days of forecasts this is a truly Merry Christmas for me.

I'm with ya...Was really dreading the commute tomorrow so beyond happy it was a dud

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Did it snow in the broadcast area? If so, then they were correct. Remember, the OKC metro area is a a huge area and weather can be very local. They blow snow predictions all the time here in the Denver area where snowfall is a much more common occurrence. There were forecasts with this storm here that stated more snowfall in the Foothills and less on this side of town, there was more here in Aurora than the Foothills. If they predict no winter weather and it hits then everyone will be pissed off anyway, so there is no "winning" either way for them.

adaniel
12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Based on what Venture said earlier about the 25 mile thing, I don't know if it's scientifically correct to say they got it wrong, but if they did, there ought to be some quality control measures they can look at...process improvement, etc. Certainly not saying they ought to jail them like those idiots did in Italy for the seismologists failing to predict the earthquake, but these guys cried "wolf" a lot, half the town cancelled Christmas plans, and there's not even enough snow for Frosty the Dwarf Snowman.

Lots of disappointed kids of all ages, and lots of p*ssed off adults who watch TV news.

No offense, but I think you are being a bit unreasonable. The meteorologists said nothing different than the national weather service was saying. Several of the models that are well respected were all saying the same thing. That, of course, doesn't change the fact that it is extremely difficult to predict snow in this area. But that's the best we got.

How completely ridiculous would it have been for the meteorologists to say, "hey all these models are showing a major snowstorm, but don't worry, its probably nothing!" Its so easy to say that after the fact, but everyone has to work with the best data they have. FWIW, the folks in DFW where I'm at were saying we were going to get nothing; instead we got nearly 4 inches (which is a lot in this area) and there have been scores of accidents, some pretty serious.

And even with the storm being not what is was advertised, there was still a high number of wrecks. Bummed kids and irritated adults will get over it; people's safety is first and foremost.

Now, back to the armchair quarterbacking.

venture
12-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Quick random thought. I think the models gave us a sign it wasn't going to be that much in the immediate OKC area late in the game. When things have been consistent for awhile, it is hard to buy into a last minute change. 12Z NAM run nailed the dry slot from the North over NE and Central OK. I didn't buy in, like many others, and got burned. However, my previous point that were only 25 miles from a heavy snowfall shows just how a slight difference in track can make things.

boscorama
12-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Disappointed as I was (love me a weather event), it was amusing to see live coverage of the Red Andrews Dinner, with the news people encouraging everyone to venture out and come on down. How often do you hear that during a stormageddon? :)

ou48A
12-25-2012, 08:36 PM
It would interesting to hear more about how the drought impacted this storm over central Oklahoma and rather or not if there was enough near by precipitation to have any meaningful impact on the next major system.

Mike Morgan said tonight at 6 pm there was strong WX system that would impact our WX about New Year’s Eve.

LocoAko
12-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Quick random thought. I think the models gave us a sign it wasn't going to be that much in the immediate OKC area late in the game. When things have been consistent for awhile, it is hard to buy into a last minute change. 12Z NAM run nailed the dry slot from the North over NE and Central OK. I didn't buy in, like many others, and got burned. However, my previous point that were only 25 miles from a heavy snowfall shows just how a slight difference in track can make things.

Yep. I was back home in NJ for this one (sort of glad I didn't miss a nice big storm in a schadenfreude sense) but in the 24 hours leading up to the storm the models, which had been fairly consistent up until that point in showing quite a large snowstorm for OKC, suddenly shifted south (starting yesterday afternoon). Of course you can argue about whether consistency in the forecast is better than sudden changes, etc. but the potential was definitely there. I think it was better sampled once the shortwave responsible for the storm finally came ashore that led to drastic changes. It is what it is... models aren't perfect but I doubt the conspiracy beliefs that stations purposely busted this forecast for ratings. I think they'd get better ratings if they had correct forecasts. :P

As venture said, the 12Z NAM from this morning did fairly well (second link), but by that time the writing was on the wall. (All graphics courtesy of Patrick Marsh)

http://www.patricktmarsh.com/gifs/2012122418_last4namnest.gif

https://twitter.com/pmarshwx/status/283574097332539392/photo/1/large?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=pmarshwx&utm_content=283574097332539392

Uncle Slayton
12-26-2012, 07:33 AM
No offense, but I think you are being a bit unreasonable. The meteorologists said nothing different than the national weather service was saying. Several of the models that are well respected were all saying the same thing. That, of course, doesn't change the fact that it is extremely difficult to predict snow in this area. But that's the best we got.

How completely ridiculous would it have been for the meteorologists to say, "hey all these models are showing a major snowstorm, but don't worry, its probably nothing!" Its so easy to say that after the fact, but everyone has to work with the best data they have. FWIW, the folks in DFW where I'm at were saying we were going to get nothing; instead we got nearly 4 inches (which is a lot in this area) and there have been scores of accidents, some pretty serious.

And even with the storm being not what is was advertised, there was still a high number of wrecks. Bummed kids and irritated adults will get over it; people's safety is first and foremost.

Now, back to the armchair quarterbacking.

Not trying to be unreasonable, as I said, the storm was more than adequate for my purposes on Christmas Day. I just sampled the 'zeitgeist' of the local internet and reported back on some of what I found.

I was disappointed, but have come to peace with the fact that there's probably not a place on earth, short of living at the poles, or on the summit of a mountain that will fully accomodate my preference for not seeing the sun for protracted periods of time. My favorite form of precip is actually sleet...so, living where I currently live, I'll take what I can get. I actually walked barefoot to the wood pile and back several times yesterday...totally exhilarating, although that's not the term The Redhead used...but I digress.

As for the musings about process improvement, etc, I work in a field of science where we submit results to a refereeing body external to us, and I have had to write pages of justifications, improvement plans, and the like when we missed a result by one tenth of a part per billion, so that's my frame of reference (and I do realize the lack of comparability between testing within fairly ordered systems and testing within comparatively chaotic ones...it's not artillery shelling, where a 25 mile target miss would be useless at best and disastrous at worst).

If they assayed weather forecasts like they assay analytical chemistry, each forecaster would get a bottle of water vapor, a canister of cold air, with instructions to chill both to a predetermined temperature, open simultaneously into a strong crosscurrent of wind and predict within +/- 0.2 inches how much snowfall would be produced assuming a surface area of one square mile, or you lose your certification. That'd probably make the forecasts a *lot* more conservative, lol

OKCisOK4me
12-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I received a little chuckle from Mike Morgan last night when he was promoting his new Twitter account with his username being Morganwxright (Morgan weather right). Yeah buddy, we know you're right all the time...lol.

OKCTalker
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Television weather people must be an odd lot.

They are educated as scientists - "members of the American Meteorological Socitey - which is all about data and trends and models and analysis. And then they are hired by local news stations which are all about hype and spin and exaggeration and ratings ("if it bleeds it leads"). One day you're learning about atmospheric dispersion models, and the next day you're forecasting spring weather based upon a groundhog seeing its shadow. All while fearing that The Lost Ogle will publish a screen shot of you with a phallic storm path depicted on a weather map.

kelroy55
12-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Channel 9 weather last night was still calling what we got a blizzard. I was wondering if I missed it or if they did.

BoulderSooner
12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Channel 9 weather last night was still calling what we got a blizzard. I was wondering if I missed it or if they did.

southwest oklahoma did have a blizzard

Bunty
12-26-2012, 11:49 AM
southwest oklahoma did have a blizzard

It might have been the first time it did, if the Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009 missed that area.

OKCisOK4me
12-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Believe it or not, their signal boosts farther than the bounds of Oklahoma City proper...

bluedogok
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Television weather people must be an odd lot.

They are educated as scientists - "members of the American Meteorological Socitey - which is all about data and trends and models and analysis. And then they are hired by local news stations which are all about hype and spin and exaggeration and ratings ("if it bleeds it leads"). One day you're learning about atmospheric dispersion models, and the next day you're forecasting spring weather based upon a groundhog seeing its shadow. All while fearing that The Lost Ogle will publish a screen shot of you with a phallic storm path depicted on a weather map.
Mississippi State has a Broadcast Meteorology program, some of the ones here in Denver and in Austin went there, including the one in Austin who grew up in Lindsay and went to East Central in Ada. Many of the others in the Austin market went to A&M

It might have been the first time it did, if the Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009 missed that area.
They got hit, we drove up from West Texas the day after Christmas and it was blanketed from Abilene all the way to OKC.

venture
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I know I'm going to regret this...

New Year's Eve snowfall is showing back up for parts of the state. Right now best chance for accumulating snow will be north of a line from Hollis - Altus - Oklahoma City - Tulsa - Miami. Amounts generally 1-3" and this would be from 6PM Dec 31st through 6AM Jan 1st. South of that line looks like a Rain to Rain/Snow mix to Light Snow just before ending. Storm system is coming up from the South will spread moisture and rain along and south of I-44 starting around Noon on the 31st. Change over will take place north of 44 through the afternoon/evening. Looks like the NW 1/3rd will see less than a 0.5" of liquid, Central 1/3rd 0.5 to 1" of liquid, and SE 1/3rd 1-2" of liquid. Now when I say liquid that is melting anything frozen down as well.

Take it for what it's worth. Heck at this point, this is probably when we'd get the foot of snow - when it isn't expected. :-P

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Wooooooo yeah blizzaaaaaaarddddd. Lets get it on. ;)

kevinpate
12-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Truthfully I hope that fizzles away. I like the idea of attending Opening Night this year, but not if it's dropping freezing yuck in the metro, particularly between DT-OKC and Norman, throughout the eve.