View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

OKCMallen
12-24-2012, 08:35 PM
That would be pretty awesome just to leave laptops open and check from time to time. ESP since the line is tracking south! #weatherdork :)

venture
12-24-2012, 08:37 PM
00Z NAM is out and has pulled snowfall totals way back to more reasonable levels. Not sure I really would go with it totally, but it is interesting.

NW OK - 1-3"
NC OK - 3-6"
NE OK - 0"
SW OK - < 1"
C OK - 3-6"
SC OK - 4-7"
EC OK - 3-7" (East Central OK)
SE OK - 1-3"

Now here is the kicker...it has total accumulated precip (when melted down) over 1" from east of I-35 from Pauls Valley to the TX Border almost due east if you took a big fat marker to the AR border. Some areas could even see over 2". This makes me think it is calling for very active convection/storms in that area or just south that is going to cut the moisture feed. I've seen this before when you get a strong system with a very active severe weather outbreak (Mod Risk tomorrow SE of OK) that just blocks a lot of the moisture from being pulled back. This could very well be the solution it is going with. Now if that doesn't happen, more moisture will get pulled back and we'll see higher snow totals. We are also seeing a trend for a slight more southern solution to the track of the main storm system which is shifting things down a bit.

Like I said earlier though, I hate late minute quick changes to things. The main take away...we will have a White Christmas.

venture
12-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Put together a radar page on the website...

Live Radar (http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radarlive.html)

I mark it as live, but it is the NWS feed so it has the standard 3-5 minute delay. :)

It has all the new Dual Pol products includes so you can see which echoes are actually rain, ice, snow, or something else.

OKCMallen
12-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks a ton man! :) We came back to Norman a day early from Lubbock to avoid the mess. My newlywed wife is missing out on her traditional Christmas, so we're hoping we didn't come back early just to avoid 1" of blowing snow. B)

venture
12-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Here you go you addicts. ;)

Oklahoma Winter Storm Dec 25 2012 | Liveblog live blogging (http://www.scribblelive.com/Event/Oklahoma_Winter_Storm_Dec_25_2012)

venture
12-24-2012, 11:02 PM
More reports of light rain/sleet mix spotty across the area. Good patch of precip moving up.

HCA Key: HA = Hail, GR = Graupel, BD = Big Drops, HR = Heavy Rain, RA = Rain, WS = Wet Snow, DS = Dry Snow, IC = Ice Crystals, GC = Ground Clutter, BI = Biological

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radar/ktlx_hca1.png

Anonymous.
12-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Haven't checked into here with a post in a while. Just drove home from family events (we rescheduled to tonight to avoid tomorrow). There was fog forming and what looks like the beginning of freezing drizzle in areas along the way.

Been keeping up with the models, I hate it when the models change at the very last second like this. I am not sure I am buying the Low being that far south - but guess we will find out. I may be wishful thinking in that the metro will get bulls-eyed. This storm just won't make up its mind.

Per current radar, it looks like the moisture streaming up right now from the southwest could ice things up a bit tonight before the snow comes in. Kinda hoping I didn't blow it with the family by encouraging everyone to have Christmas tonight... lol

venture
12-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Pretty good shield of moisture moving up. Radar showing a good mix of just about everything with this batch coming in. We are below freezing now, so be careful out there. I'm stepping away from the chat room to get some rest, but it will remain up throughout the night.

Dustin
12-25-2012, 12:45 AM
It's raining... greeeaaatttt.

So under the snow will be ice.

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 01:19 AM
The precip shield developing along I-40 and moving north is falling as almost pure freezing rain. This could get real nasty before the sun even rises and the snow begins to fall.

Hollywood
12-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Two pile ups in the area of I44 (or I40, unclear on Springlake Air) and I35, one consists of two semis and upwards of fourteen cars. I-35 NB now shut down at 15th Street.

Jon27
12-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Freezing rain is coming down pretty good in Yukon.

Dustin
12-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Ok... Now I'm hearing no snow at all? Jon Slater posted on FB that the storm is tracking too far south for anything major to happen in OKC. Really? People cancelled plans because of the threat of heavy snow and now nothing????

venture
12-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Ok... Now I'm hearing no snow at all? Jon Slater posted on FB that the storm is tracking too far south for anything major to happen in OKC. Really? People cancelled plans because of the threat of heavy snow and now nothing????

NAM/GFS are all pretty well aligned right now having the highest snow totals south of I-40 and east of I-35. NWS Norman's morning discussion said the model guidance is pretty much trash right now as it isn't handling things correct. They are still going for 3-5" over the Metro area but with obviously more icing right now. I would say the ice threat is worse than snow, so I wouldn't say nothing major happening. Apparently we already have had a 20 car pile up on I-35. I would say that is major. Granted, with icing, a pile up is expected when I didn't notice ANY pre-treatment to the roads by ODOT.

venture
12-25-2012, 03:46 AM
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd2204.gif
MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2204
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0232 AM CST TUE DEC 25 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF WESTERN AND CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 250832Z - 251230Z

SUMMARY...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL IMPACTS PARTS OF
WESTERN AND CENTRAL OK THE NEXT FEW HOURS. WHILE PRECIPITATION IS
EXPECTED TO BE SCATTERED AND LIGHT...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN
DEVELOP WITH ONLY SMALL ICE ACCUMULATION.

DISCUSSION...LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WAS BEING TRANSPORTED INTO THE AREA
VIA ELY LOW LEVEL FLOW /AS EVIDENT IN KTLX 88-D VWP DATA/. AN
INITIAL SHORTWAVE IMPULSE MOVING ACROSS CENTRAL OKLAHOMA EARLY THIS
MORNING AHEAD OF THE MAIN UPPER TROUGH WAS PROVIDING FORCING FOR
ASCENT AND RESULTING IN LIGHT WINTRY MIX PRECIP TYPES. FREEZING
RAIN/SLEET AND SNOW RATES WILL BE LOW THE NEXT FEW HOURS AS MIDLEVEL
MOISTURE ONLY SLOWLY INCREASES. HOWEVER...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ON ROADWAYS WILL LEAD TO HAZARDOUS TRAVEL
CONDITIONS. AS MID LEVEL TEMPERATURES COOL AFTER SUNRISE...SLEET MAY
MIX WITH SNOW FOR A BRIEF PERIOD BEFORE A TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW
OCCURS AND PRECIPITATION BECOMES HEAVIER.

..LEITMAN.. 12/25/2012

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 04:25 AM
The low looks to be exiting in a path to give OKC and central OK significant amounts of snow. The wrap around is going to dump a lot. The Low is wrapping itself up and dry slotting southern OK thus far. I am tellen you the models are taking/took the Low too far south.

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Local TV is excruciating. I have no idea how much snow to expect during the day, but I know there's a Waffle House open somewhere and they have pumpkin spiced something...

Seriously?

ShiroiHikari
12-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. All the weather conditions I've checked say that wintry mix is falling in Norman but hardly anything fell on my side of town. Are we gonna get screwed out of significant precipitation yet again? And everyone is forecasting something different. Did I cancel all my plans for nothing?

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. All the weather conditions I've checked say that wintry mix is falling in Norman but hardly anything fell on my side of town. Are we gonna get screwed out of significant precipitation yet again? And everyone is forecasting something different. Did I cancel all my plans for nothing?

That ol' familiar feeling of a couple years ago is starting to come over me again. We were virtually assured snow and at the last minute, whoops, a layer of warm air aloft that they didn't see/predict, etc, turned everything into rain.

Same vibe. Hope I'm wrong.

adaniel
12-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Well, that's what happens when you try and predict snow in this part of the world. It is hardly an exact science, and I'm certainly not about to armchair quarterback just because some people thought they would wake up to snow. Also, I doubt you cancelled your plans for nothing as most of the fam in OKC is reporting pretty icy conditions and there is a big mass of snow in the TX panhandle that still needs to move through (which is largely in line with the forecasts).

I'm in Dallas right now with my parents. They only predicted light rain and a bit of snow today. Instead, it has been raining buckets and hailing all morning, and they've been slowly nudging up the snow amounts, so the system may very well be "blocking" moisture from heading up to OK.

kelroy55
12-25-2012, 07:07 AM
I haven't seen a snowflake yet :(

venture
12-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Mmmk. Well the freezing rain/mix portion of this lasted a bit longer than I had expected, but whats news. Main thrust of moisture is moving north now and rapidly expanding. We should see a complete change over to snow here in the next hour or two.

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Mmmk. Well the freezing rain/mix portion of this lasted a bit longer than I had expected, but whats news. Main thrust of moisture is moving north now and rapidly expanding. We should see a complete change over to snow here in the next hour or two.

So Ch 5 is pulling back the snowfall to 2.5 inches tops? "A 200 mile wobble sure can make a difference..."

Edit: and Ch 4 says 4-8 ,maybe localized 10" in south metro.

Guess I'll stick w/ the time-honored tradition of looking out the door.

MadMonk
12-25-2012, 08:03 AM
First thing that came to mind this morning when looking out the window. :wink:
The Price is Right losing horn - YouTube (http://youtu.be/1ytCEuuW2_A)

venture
12-25-2012, 08:04 AM
So Ch 5 is pulling back the snowfall to 2.5 inches tops? "A 200 mile wobble sure can make a difference..."

Oh well, I guess it counts as snow.

Guess the next hope is a massive New Year's Day winter disaster.

I really don't even think they can reliably say 1-2" is a good forecast right now. This is not being an easy one to forecast.

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I really don't even think they can reliably say 1-2" is a good forecast right now. This is not being an easy one to forecast.

Well, I'm calling this a bust early, perhaps prematurely...did that New Year's thing just evaporate?

venture
12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radar/ktlx_hca1.png

From ground reports, it appears anything North of I-44 is snow now, south is still a mix. This band of precip is really increasing right now though, so it could easily dump a few inches once it is established.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Well, I'm calling this a bust early, perhaps prematurely...did that New Year's thing just evaporate?

New Years storm hasn't been in the model solutions for 3 or 4 days now. So I would say its completely gone.

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 08:11 AM
New Years storm hasn't been in the model solutions for 3 or 4 days now. So I would say its completely gone.

I thought as much, since the chatter has died down. Two more years til early retirement, then I'm moving to Montana or the Dakotas. Somewhat improves my chances of protracted periods of time in the deep-freeze.

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Well woke up to looking like we missed the boat on this one. When I last looked the Low looked to be exiting perfectly. Now it has reestablished directly over southwest OK and is going to dissolve the original out in the pandhandles. All that you see developing on the radar is going to sag southeast and honestly it looks like the Red River is going to win afterall. Unless the system begins its march to the northeast now - OKC may be looking at what we get.

You can see the sagging of the Low as the precip heading into the north metro is evaporating and receding to the south. Norman may still get some good amounts as there will be a sharp cut off at the top of the Low.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Well woke up to looking like we missed the boat on this one. When I last looked the Low looked to be exiting perfectly. Now it has reestablished directly over southwest OK and is going to dissolve the original out in the pandhandles. All that you see developing on the radar is going to sag southeast and honestly it looks like the Red River is going to win afterall. Unless the system begins its march to the northeast now - OKC may be looking at what we get.

You can see the sagging of the Low as the precip heading into the north metro is evaporating and receding to the south. Norman may still get some good amounts as there will be a sharp cut off at the top of the Low.

If you are looking at the last 10-15 minutes of radar data you will notice it is starting to re-expand back to the North and East. Though I won't be shocked if we see areas like Norman walk out with 3-5" and places like Guthrie barely get an inch.

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I am surprised Dallas has not been issued a WSW yet, the system looks to be taking aim to give them a white Christmas.

if they get it, they really hit the jackpot, they have had thunderstorms all night dumping much needed rain, and it looks like they will cap it off with a nice blanket of snow.

Envious? I definitely am.

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I guess it was a good thing that we didn't make our typical OKC/West Texas Christmas trip this year. We are saving our time off to move to our house next month (close on January 4).

We had a few inches of snow over night here in Aurora.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Main band of precip continues to intensify. It is going from Taloga - Hinton - Chickasha - Pauls Valley - Tishomingo/Ardmore. A secondary band is starting to form just to the east of it from Chandler to Shawnee to Holdenville to Coalgate.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I am surprised Dallas has not been issued a WSW yet, the system looks to be taking aim to give them a white Christmas.

if they get it, they really hit the jackpot, they have had thunderstorms all night dumping much needed rain, and it looks like they will cap it off with a nice blanket of snow.

Envious? I definitely am.

Why would they for a couple inches of snow? They are going to need to high snowfall rates just to overtake ground melting on a warm/wet ground. They'll get that eventually but nothing to warrant a WSW right now.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Now over to sleet/snow mix here in Norman.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd2208.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2208
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0931 AM CST TUE DEC 25 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/SWRN/S-CNTRL OK...WRN NORTH TX AND PARTS OF
N-CNTRL TX

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 251531Z - 252030Z

SUMMARY...INITIALLY MIXED PRECIPITATION DEVELOPING OVER...AND 120
STATUTE MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE RED RIVER...WILL INCREASE IN
COVERAGE AND INTENSITY DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO. PRECIPITATION
WILL TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW BETWEEN 17Z AND 21Z.

DISCUSSION...WATER VAPOR LOOPS DEPICTS A WELL-DEFINED CYCLONIC SWIRL
MARKING THE CENTER OF A COMPACT MID-LEVEL VORT MAX 55 NNW ABI AS OF
1445Z...WHICH IS TRACKING EWD. PRECIPITATION RATES WILL LIKELY
INCREASE DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO...OWING TO STRONG DCVA
PRECEDING THE CYCLONE CENTER...COMBINED WITH ISENTROPIC ASCENT ATOP
AN OROGRAPHICALLY ENHANCED COLD DOME E OF THE ROCKIES. WITH
LOW-LEVEL TRAJECTORIES EMBEDDED WITHIN A WARM CONVEYOR BELT FAVORING
THE INFLUX OF RELATIVELY RICHER MOISTURE -- UPSTREAM SOUNDINGS AT
00Z AND 12Z SUGGESTING LOWEST 100-MB MEAN MIXING RATIOS OF
4-7 G/KG -- PRECIPITATION RATES WILL FURTHER INCREASE AS THE FORCING
FOR ASCENT INCREASES.

THROUGH 17Z...A MIX OF PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR OWING TO THE
EXISTENCE OF WARMER AIR ALOFT -- E.G. ELEVATED WARM NOSE SAMPLED BY
THE 12Z NORMAN SOUNDING FEATURING 2-2.8C TEMPERATURES IN THE
900-815-MB LAYER. SLEET...ALONG WITH FREEZING RAIN WITH RATES OF
0.05-0.10 IN PER HOUR...WILL BE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS S-CNTRL
OK IN CLOSER PROXIMITY TO WARMER TEMPERATURES ALOFT. RAIN WILL
REMAIN POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF N-CNTRL TX WHERE ABOVE-FREEZING
TEMPERATURES EXIST THROUGH A DEEPER LAYER IN THE LOWER TROPOSPHERE.
PRECIPITATION WILL MORE QUICKLY TRANSITION TO SNOW WITHIN AN ARC
FROM CNTRL OK TO SWRN OK AND WRN NORTH TX...AS DEEPER COLD AIR WRAPS
AROUND THE NWRN QUADRANT OF A ERN-TX SFC LOW AND ADIABATIC COOLING
OCCURS WITH FORCING FOR ASCENT LEADING THE MID-LEVEL VORT MAX.

BETWEEN 17Z AND 21Z...SNOW WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD...WITH THE
PRECIPITATION-TYPE TRANSITION ZONE SHIFTING EWD/SEWD ACROSS S-CNTRL
OK AND NRN TX. SNOWFALL RATES REACHING 1-1.5 IN/HR WILL OCCUR AS
MID-LEVEL ASCENT EXTENDS THROUGH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE CENTERED
AROUND 600 MB. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES WILL OCCUR ACROSS
SWRN/S-CNTRL OK AND WRN N TX...WHERE CONFLUENCE WITHIN A DEFORMATION
ZONE ALOFT SHOULD LOCALLY ENHANCE THE ASCENDING BRANCH OF A
FRONTOGENETIC CIRCULATION W/NW OF THE DEEPER CYCLONE.

OF NOTE...LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS
SWRN/S-CNTRL OK AND ADJACENT NRN TX...WHERE FORECAST SOUNDINGS
INDICATE 0-1-KM MEAN FLOW INCREASING TO 30-40 KT. OK MESONET
OBSERVATIONS ALREADY INDICATE 20-30 MPH SUSTAINED NLY WINDS WITH
HIGHER GUSTS ONGOING. WIND SPEEDS SHOULD INCREASE OWING TO THE
TIGHTENING SFC PRESSURE GRADIENT AND INCREASING DIFFERENTIAL COLD
ADVECTION IN THE LOW LEVELS SUPPORTING DESTABILIZATION JUST ABOVE
THE SFC. FREQUENT GUSTS OF 35-40 MPH MAY OCCUR IN SOME
LOCATIONS...SUPPORTING WHITEOUT CONDITIONS/NEAR-ZERO VISIBILITIES.

..COHEN.. 12/25/2012

venture
12-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Just a reminder the chat room is going: https://client.scribblelive.com/Event/Oklahoma_Winter_Storm_Dec_25_2012

Anonymous.
12-25-2012, 08:53 AM
I-40 in the western half of the state looks to be getting slammed. Heavy snow bands developing. I can't believe it looks like OKC is going to miss this by about 15 miles. So frustrating. This will just add to the piles of people that already don't trust the forecasts around here.

venture
12-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Moderate sleet now in Norman

iambecoming
12-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Barely sleeting on north west side of Norman now. I'm bummed. I was really looking forward to snow and now it looks like we'll get not much of anything.

venture
12-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Patience people. :)

Things are starting to fill in over the Metro area.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/radar/screengrab.png

bandnerd
12-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't they tell us yesterday that the snow wouldn't start until after 9am and as late as midday? Just because we didn't wake up to blankets of white doesn't mean it can't still happen. As venture said: patience.

That said...my lights keep flicking off and on. Is this happening for anyone else on the NW side or are we just special?

Uncle Slayton
12-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Didn't they tell us yesterday that the snow wouldn't start until after 9am and as late as midday? Just because we didn't wake up to blankets of white doesn't mean it can't still happen. As venture said: patience.

That said...my lights keep flicking off and on. Is this happening for anyone else on the NW side or are we just special?

No, my lights have been flickering in Norman (Lindsey/24th) and it's not because I've been in the mulled wine.

Morganwxright
12-25-2012, 09:11 AM
It's O-V-E-R....and has been for quite a while. .....just a light additional dusting of snow/sleet in south metro... Dew points are low, very little PVA (storm too far south)...and stable air moving in from the north....intensified by the Oklahoma drought...this "storm" never really had a chance.......some icy patches out there before it all sublimates, so be careful!

JamesFiend
12-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Lights flickering a bit out in Harrah as well. According to the KOCO Livewire (http://livewire.koco.com/Event/Live_Wire_Oklahoma_winter_storm_Dec_25-27), it's happening all over the city.

venture
12-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Indeed we were expecting a mix early on in this. Change over is starting now and should be done before the main patch of moisture moves through.

kelroy55
12-25-2012, 09:13 AM
No flickering here around 50th and May... and patience my ass, I want lots of snow :P

Jesseda
12-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Power has been flickering here at the airport and my wife called from moore and said it has been flickering there as well

venture
12-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Any power issues are probably going to be wind related if anything. I can't see the small coating of ice we got being a major issue for the power lines. Unless OG&E has been cutting back and putting up the cheap stuff. ;)

WilliamTell
12-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Choctaw / Nicoma Park / Midwest City area has been getting a small amount of ice and now sleet all morning, its so disappointing that if we do get snow it will be a very small amount....

Just crazy that for weeks now they were saying 4-8 inches even up until 5am-6am this morning. Just a few hours later it doesnt look like hardly anything.

bandnerd
12-25-2012, 09:18 AM
They at least came through here early in the fall and trimmed up our trees away from the lines in the back, so I had hoped that wouldn't be a problem. I know this sounds totally selfish and awful, but it's nice to know we're not the only ones.

Stepped outside with the dog for a minute, driveway is freaking slick. The sleet looks like it melted on impact and then re-froze together. The grass in the backyard is frozen. Funny how it can be so warm for so long, but it can freeze so quickly in the right conditions.

Guess we'll be spending Christmas in our house alone for the second time since we moved here. Glad we got to see some of the family last night, at least. There's always the weekend. But, if I'm going to be stuck here: Bring on the snow!

kevinpate
12-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Drive to WRWA to ditch the rental this am at 8:40 wasn't bad at all, though I did some some air bag deployed, cars crunched and off the road, scene long cleared, just off I-44 past 59th exit. I presume they hit slick pre slat and sand and hope they were less crunched than the vehicles.

Took an AE mini van back to Norman so the lovely dinna need to get out and follow me to the city. Driver said it was slicker earlier (he started his day at 4:30 am) Nice chap, and I very much appreciate being his on duty this am. It was nice to walk back in the house to cherry Christmas g-baby sounds and a smiling Nana rather than the babies and our grown kiddos waking up to both of us gone.

Storm or bust, I'm not planning on seeing any ore of it except through the window.

Merry Christmas,and to all a warm heart.

Easy180
12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
KOCO has dialed it down to 1-2 for OKC

Jesseda
12-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Snowing pretty good at will rogerss airport right now

RadicalModerate
12-25-2012, 09:33 AM

Our lights were flickering just a bit when I rolled out of bed around 7:45. I just talked to someone in Jones who said their light were also flickering. We are not special. =)

I just hope that this doesn't interfere with Plan D (forget Plans A, B and C) and prevent me from cooking the humble turkey breast left over in the freezer from Thanksgiving for my wife and I. No visitors. All travel plans cancelled.

adaniel
12-25-2012, 09:34 AM

I checked on Live Wire at KOCO...BIG mistake. The vitriol people are slinging on there is unreal. "OMG You weather people RUINED our Christmas!" pretty much sums it up. Get a grip, people! So much for joyous Christmas spirit.

Glad to see at least someone is seeing some sort of winter precip. Here in Dallas it is still raining and thundering. Honestly can say I've never been in a thunderstorm on Christmas Day.

venture
12-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Latest from Norman...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
1034 AM CST TUE DEC 25 2012

...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM WILL OCCUR THROUGH THIS EVENING...

.UPDATE...
THE WINTER STORM WARNING AND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ARE
IN FINE SHAPE AND WILL NOT ALTER AT THIS TIME.

INCREASED ICE ACCUMULATIONS NEAR A DUNCAN TO PAULS VALLEY TO
ADA LINE.

LOWERED SNOWFALL TOTALS AND PRECIPITATION CHANCES NORTH OF AN
ALVA TO CHANDLER LINE.

&&

.DISCUSSION...
A CHRISTMAS DAY WINTER STORM IS UNFOLDING ACROSS THE AREA.

AT 1020 AM CST...THE SNOW/MIXED PRECIPITATION LINE WAS NEAR A
OKLAHOMA CITY TO WICHITA FALLS LINE. ACCORDING TO LATEST MODEL
GUIDANCE...THIS LINE WILL SHIFT SOUTHEAST OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

APPEARS THE BEST ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH HAVE
OCCURRED NEAR A DUNCAN TO PAULS VALLEY TO ADA LINE BASED ON RADAR
RETURNS AND SURFACE TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING.

THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL AXIS THROUGH THIS EVENING WILL MOST LIKELY
BE NEAR A CLINTON TO LAWTON TO ATOKA LINE. THE HEAVIEST SNOW HAS
BEGUN ACROSS WESTERN OKLAHOMA AND FAR WESTERN NORTH TEXAS. THIS
WILL SHIFT EAST OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS...AND AFFECT THE OKLAHOMA
CITY...LAWTON...AND WICHITA FALLS AREAS BETWEEN NOON AND 4 PM CST.
NEAR BLIZZARD/WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE THIS
AFTERNOON...AND WILL CLOSELY MONITOR.

CONSIDERED DOWNGRADING/REMOVING WARNING/ADVISORY NORTH OF
AN ALVA TO CHANDLER LINE WHERE APPEARS SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE
LESS THAN CURRENTLY FORECAST. DID NOT ALTER AT THESE PRODUCTS AT
THIS TIME...BUT THESE AREAS INCLUDING STILLWATER AND PONCA CITY
MAY NOT RECEIVE SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION. THE HEAVIEST SNOW
WILL LIKELY STAY SOUTH OF THE OKLAHOMA CITY METRO AREA.

MBS

bandnerd
12-25-2012, 09:38 AM
People get upset so quickly. They have to understand that in Oklahoma, all bets are off for several times during the year if you're planning on travel. I would rather have erred on the side of caution and have Christmas another day than to have someone get in an accident trying to get to me (or me to them) because you HAVE TO, IT'S CHRISTMAS.

I think a nice Christmas steak is in order for dinner tonight. Grilling in the snow? Why not.

venture
12-25-2012, 09:38 AM
I checked on Live Wire at KOCO...BIG mistake. The vitriol people are slinging on there is unreal. "OMG You weather people RUINED our Christmas!" pretty much sums it up. Get a grip, people! So much for joyous Christmas spirit.

Glad to see at least someone is seeing some sort of winter precip. Here in Dallas it is still raining and thundering. Honestly can say I've never been in a thunderstorm on Christmas Day.

KOCO's LW is terrible most of the time. Hence why I like our little setup here. LOL

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Like most weather, predicting snow is not an exact science, even up here in Colorado. They were saying it should start around 6:00 last night here, there was none as we got out of the 5:00 Christmas Eve church service, it was around 7:30 when we started getting some at dinner out in Parker. On the road home to Aurora we could see that it had been going on a little longer. Totals are an even more inexact science, last winter they predicted a trace and we had 14" of snow.