View Full Version : Places to Avoid in Norman, OK my daughter is transferring to OU safe apartment areas?

military_dude_texas
11-25-2012, 11:58 PM
I am a concerned father from Texas my daughter will be transferring to University of Oklahoma January 2013 to Norman Oklahoma. A lot of people in Texas have told me to be careful about drugs, prostitution, just general dangerous places in Oklahoma, for the most part of what I have heard its in OKC areas specifically areas near Robinson Ave which is heavy with drugs and prostitution.

My daughter will be needing to get a apartment and it may or may not be relatively close to campus based on availability and price so apartment could be anywhere in the Norman City Area so with that said what areas instead of naming all the places that are safe what areas should I steer away from, places to avoid Streets, Bad Neighborhoods, or regions in Oklahoma I should avoid that just attract this type of behavior. I am not familiar with Norman as I am with OKC because I don't have any contacts living in Norman. Every town has those areas to avoid so also my daughter is very naive when it comes to matters of this nature so just makes this issue even more important.

Help would be appreciated.

jeff.
11-26-2012, 07:28 AM
If you're really that worried, visit Norman. You'll find that you have nothing to worry about. There isn't anywhere in OKC that you could compare to say, the 5th ward in Houston. I'm curious where these "lot of people in Texas" come from...

kevinpate
11-26-2012, 07:46 AM
FYI -
Robinson avenue, specifically South Robinson Ave in Oklahoma City, routinely has prostitution and drug issues.
Robinson Street, in Norman, runs east/west, and is in no way related to the OKC road.

For rentals in Norman, there are numerous student centric apartment complexes around town. Some close in to campus, others less so. Numerous small houses for rent as well. Some people, when budgets permit, purchase a house, and rent out other rooms to friends of their own children, and then either resell after graduation or land a mgmt. company and retain as an investment.

My spouse and I have been in Norman since 86,and raised three children here. Feel free to kick a pm this way if you want to have an in depth discussion about Norman.

adaniel
11-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I am a Texas transplant who came to this area via OU in 2004. Before I came here, I didn't hear anything negative concerning Norman and crime problems. So I am really curious as to what you heard from these folks in the know lol. Maybe the confused Robinson with the avenue in South OKC, and while that can be rough in parts, its no worse than, say, Harry Hines Blvd in Dallas. Unless I am misunderstanding your post, your daughter will be attending the main campus in Norman, not the OUHSC in OKC, so she really has no reason to be in the South Robinson Ave. area.

Norman is very safe outside the usual college-town idiocy with students. Outside of some grubby looking apartments around Lindsey and SE 12th, there is really no area that I wouldn't live in. So you can pretty much base your decision on where to live based on distance to campus, house or apartment, price, etc. Also, last time I check out of state students compromised nearly 40 percent of OU's undergrad population, with the vast majority of that coming from TX, so it can't be too bad.

soonerguru
11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I am a concerned father from Texas my daughter will be transferring to University of Oklahoma January 2013 to Norman Oklahoma. A lot of people in Texas have told me to be careful about drugs, prostitution, just general dangerous places in Oklahoma, for the most part of what I have heard its in OKC areas specifically areas near Robinson Ave which is heavy with drugs and prostitution.

My daughter will be needing to get a apartment and it may or may not be relatively close to campus based on availability and price so apartment could be anywhere in the Norman City Area so with that said what areas instead of naming all the places that are safe what areas should I steer away from, places to avoid Streets, Bad Neighborhoods, or regions in Oklahoma I should avoid that just attract this type of behavior. I am not familiar with Norman as I am with OKC because I don't have any contacts living in Norman. Every town has those areas to avoid so also my daughter is very naive when it comes to matters of this nature so just makes this issue even more important.

Help would be appreciated.

Not to belittle your concerns, but why is your daughter "naive" to the dangers of crime, drugs and prostitution? Probably your biggest concern should not be Norman's nabes, which are very safe, but your daughter's naivete. OU is a big school and there is a lot of drug and alcohol use there, even in the safe parts of town. I don't believe I've ever seen a prostitute in Norman and street crime is extremely limited.

PennyQuilts
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I see this differently than some. Candidly, I think it is GOOD thing for a young woman to be "naive" to the dangers of crime, drugs and prostitution if that means she wants to avoid them. It would be naive for her to think she can get anywhere close to crime, drugs and prostitution without getting burned. In some circles, that sort of thing is normal. In others - most - it isn't.

Good for dad for thinking ahead. Kids will always find ways to rebel and I've no doubt his daughter will do the same, but it would be stupid to drop her in the midst of such things, "naive" or not. That sort of stuff isn't typical college age rebellion - it is dangerous dysfunctionality that could get someone killed. I've managed to go my whole life without the need for hanging out with hookers, druggies and criminals and most of the rest of us can say the same. Equating an aversion to street crime with being naive is off the mark, seems to me.

But as for dad - my own kids went to Baylor and still managed to find out where the "fun" parties were. Norman is a college town and there will be partying going on. If she wants to find such things, she will, but she'll have to work as hard as anyone else to do it. I wouldn't think twice about living in Norman in terms of safety and crime. Like all towns, there are areas to avoid but Norman is a delightful place and plenty safe. Congrats to your daughter for choosing OU - I bet she loves it, gets a great education and has fun.

venture
11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
The only places that come to mind as far as ones to avoid would be along the railroad tracks. Main areas are going to be just north of Robinson and another area just east of Downtown. Other than that, I can't think of any other areas to really avoid outside of the typical run down apartments you'll find scattered all over town.

soonerguru
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I see this differently than some. Candidly, I think it is GOOD thing for a young woman to be "naive" to the dangers of crime, drugs and prostitution if that means she wants to avoid them. It would be naive for her to think she can get anywhere close to crime, drugs and prostitution without getting burned. In some circles, that sort of thing is normal. In others - most - it isn't.

Good for dad for thinking ahead. Kids will always find ways to rebel and I've no doubt his daughter will do the same, but it would be stupid to drop her in the midst of such things, "naive" or not. That sort of stuff isn't typical college age rebellion - it is dangerous dysfunctionality that could get someone killed. I've managed to go my whole life without the need for hanging out with hookers, druggies and criminals and most of the rest of us can say the same. Equating an aversion to street crime with being naive is off the mark, seems to me.

But as for dad - my own kids went to Baylor and still managed to find out where the "fun" parties were. Norman is a college town and there will be partying going on. If she wants to find such things, she will, but she'll have to work as hard as anyone else to do it. I wouldn't think twice about living in Norman in terms of safety and crime. Like all towns, there are areas to avoid but Norman is a delightful place and plenty safe. Congrats to your daughter for choosing OU - I bet she loves it, gets a great education and has fun.

As is often the case, Penny, you have misread my post. Let me try to make it more clear. I'm not suggesting the father "drop" his daughter into a wanton, criminal environment. Nor am I suggesting his daughter "hang with hookers" to "learn" more about the "lifestyle." That would be stupid and irresponsible. What a preposterous suggestion. Geez. All I'm suggesting is that he educate his daughter about the dangers he is hoping she should avoid.

When I was at OU, some of the kids who got in the worst trouble were kids who had been sheltered. Penny, you have lived in large urban areas, and you know that the people who are often targeted for crime are the ones who look naive and out of place.

All I'm saying is he has an opportunity to help his daughter understand the dangers of the world. "Hope" is not a parenting strategy. We want to protect our kids' innocence but his daughter is a legal adult, not a 12-year-old, and probably shouldn't be naive about dangerous crime. Knowledge will not shatter her innocence.

OU is a big school and there is a lot of opportunity to get into trouble, and be victimized, and make dumb decisions. Probably a good time to have a talk before she goes there.

That being said, neither Norman nor OU are particularly dangerous places, such as major city campuses might be.

OKCisOK4me
11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I would agree with the general assessment that there was a confusion by the OP thinking that S. Robinson in OKC is the same as Robinson in Norman. OP, Robinson between I-40 and I-240 is probably what you've heard bad things about. That's nowhere near where your daughter will be.

PennyQuilts
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
As is often the case, Penny, you have misread my post. Let me try to make it more clear. I'm not suggesting the father "drop" his daughter into a wanton, criminal environment. Nor am I suggesting his daughter "hang with hookers" to "learn" more about the "lifestyle." That would be stupid and irresponsible. What a preposterous suggestion. Geez. All I'm suggesting is that he educate his daughter about the dangers he is hoping she should avoid.

When I was at OU, some of the kids who got in the worst trouble were kids who had been sheltered. Penny, you have lived in large urban areas, and you know that the people who are often targeted for crime are the ones who look naive and out of place.

All I'm saying is he has an opportunity to help his daughter understand the dangers of the world. "Hope" is not a parenting strategy. We want to protect our kids' innocence but his daughter is a legal adult, not a 12-year-old, and probably shouldn't be naive about dangerous crime. Knowledge will not shatter her innocence.

OU is a big school and there is a lot of opportunity to get into trouble, and be victimized, and make dumb decisions. Probably a good time to have a talk before she goes there.

That being said, neither Norman nor OU are particularly dangerous places, such as major city campuses might be.

I guess where I am coming from is that you seem to reading a lot into his comment that isn't necessarily there. I missed the part about how he was relying on "hope" as a parenting skill or that he hadn't talked to her about such things. And as a guardian ad litem in quite a few custody cases, I often had the experience of dealing with a "protective" parent vs. one who had your philosophy. I never saw a single judge agree with it. Nor do I. The "new normal" for many people is to argue that you should expose kids to the underbelly of life as some sort of vaccination against such things. I don't see it helping all that much. The "naive" kids that I see are the ones whose families have given them a safe nest and, as a result they trust people too much. Do you honestly think this dad isn't cautioning his daughter about the world? Willing to bet he is but telling kids they can't trust people doesn't usually hit home until they experience betrayal, unfortunately. She can learn that lesson at age twenty and handle it better than she can at 12, if you ask me. And I am willing to bet a dad who went to the trouble to try to find out answers to his concerns may well have sheltered his daughter. But I would be willing to bet the farm that in the long run, she'll be the better for it. She might be unlucky and run into a bad situation and those are the kids we always hear about. But I don't think that is the rule. Most kids with strong families who care enough to shelter them do just fine.

ou48A
11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
With same normal precautions that you would take in any average city Norman is comparatively a safer place, particularly in the OU student environment.
The only real big thing to avoid is the traffic around a football game.
If she can’t stand football she had better go someplace else.

But Norman is a very different place than the heart of south side of OKC. But even so I feel safe in most areas of south OKC in the daytime……..As an OU student she would have zero reasons to ever go into the rougher areas of OKC.

soonerguru
11-28-2012, 04:04 PM
I guess where I am coming from is that you seem to reading a lot into his comment that isn't necessarily there. I missed the part about how he was relying on "hope" as a parenting skill or that he hadn't talked to her about such things. And as a guardian ad litem in quite a few custody cases, I often had the experience of dealing with a "protective" parent vs. one who had your philosophy. I never saw a single judge agree with it. Nor do I. The "new normal" for many people is to argue that you should expose kids to the underbelly of life as some sort of vaccination against such things. I don't see it helping all that much. The "naive" kids that I see are the ones whose families have given them a safe nest and, as a result they trust people too much. Do you honestly think this dad isn't cautioning his daughter about the world? Willing to bet he is but telling kids they can't trust people doesn't usually hit home until they experience betrayal, unfortunately. She can learn that lesson at age twenty and handle it better than she can at 12, if you ask me. And I am willing to bet a dad who went to the trouble to try to find out answers to his concerns may well have sheltered his daughter. But I would be willing to bet the farm that in the long run, she'll be the better for it. She might be unlucky and run into a bad situation and those are the kids we always hear about. But I don't think that is the rule. Most kids with strong families who care enough to shelter them do just fine.

This is ridiculous. Where did I suggest one should drag their kid through the "underbelly" of life? Or "expose them" to that? I didn't say that and I don't believe that is good parenting.

You are assuming the absolute worst about everything I say. This is why I have no desire to converse with you. I cannot imagine that you are like this in real life, and if you are, God help all of those who are in your life.

PennyQuilts
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
This is ridiculous. Where did I suggest one should drag their kid through the "underbelly" of life? Or "expose them" to that? I didn't say that and I don't believe that is good parenting.

You are assuming the absolute worst about everything I say. This is why I have no desire to converse with you. I cannot imagine that you are like this in real life, and if you are, God help all of those who are in your life.

What?

Wait. Come on, SG. The man asked about whether the area was safe and mentioned that his daughter was naive. You took that and ran with it, talking about how "Hope" is not a parenting strategy and that people are somehow misguided in wanting to protect their kids' innocence and that, as an adult, she shouldn't be naive about dangerous crime. You went on to say that knowledge would not shatter her innocence.

You and I are both making assumptions, I suppose. For some reason, you've equated being "naive" about crime to being a child whose parents haven't talked to her and who are trying to keep her innocent by keeping her sheltered. I honestly don't know where you'd get that from. The man is sending his daughter out of state, for heaven's sake. That doesn't sound, to me, like a man who is wrapping up his daughter in cotton and teaching her to be a victim. I don't know if you are a parent but from what he told me, I would assume he is the kind of parent who adores his girl and is probably just going through the same sort of angst any good parent goes through when the send their daughter out into the world. Checking out the crime in the neighborhoods is exactly the sort of thing a good dad does. I can't imagine taking from that any suggestion that he is somehow being over protective. I wish we had more dads like that. Too many of them throw their daughters to the wolves. It isn't such a bad thing for a dad to be shooting daggers at some guy on the make, seems to me. No harm done. It's what good dads do and they are routinely ignored when daughter reaches a certain age.

Where I am probably making my assumptions is his use of the description that she is "naive." Based on the circumstances as he described it, coupled with his attempt to find information, I would be inclined to equate "naive" with being "too trusting." And there are plenty of young people who are "too trusting" as a result of being treated decently by their family and friends. There is nothing wrong with dad's parenting just based on the mere fact that his daughter is "naive." You'd need more than that to reach any kind of negative conclusion. From what I know about young women, you can talk to them until you are blue in the face - doing everything you are supposed to do on that score short of tossing them in with criminals - and they are still going to be trusting and naive. It is partly a product of their personality, part age, part gender, and part good experiences, to date. I feel quite confident in saying that MOST young women - unless they have been treated badly or negligently - tend to be too trusting. And most of us have to learn the hard way who we can trust and who we can't. I expect this girl is no different and I also suspect this dad has done everything he can to bring home to her that she needs to be careful, not everyone can be trusted, she needs to keep her wits about her, she can't believe everything some bad boy has to tell her, she shouldn't drink and drive, etc. That is MY assumption and perhaps I am wrong.

G22
11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
As a recent OU grad I would say nearly all of Norman is safe. If you live off campus and work part time while going to OU things stay pretty tame unless you are looking are a really good time. My little sister is at OU and I feel that she is safe in Norman. Tell you daughter to choose her friends carefully and she will be fine.