View Full Version : Dairy Queen

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

megax11
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Why can't we have Dairy Queen back in OKC?

I miss that place, and I don't feel like driving to Chickasha for a Blizzard. McDonald's have bootleg Blizzards.

The new Dairy Queen on NW Penn and about 146th is open now.

okcisok
04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh, I am right there with you!! Blizzards are the best. I like Sonic but nothing comes close to a Blizzard. Or a dipped cone. Or a Dilly Bar. yummy

Debzkidz
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Oh wow, I would love a dipped cone!!!!

adaniel
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Dairy Queens got "Sonic"ed right out of the state. Its the same way in all bordering states too, sadly.

I'm always willing to support an Oklahoma based-company but nothing comes close to the bliss from a Oreo Blizzard on a hot summer day.

Achilleslastand
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Because people here for some strange reason go gaga over Sonic. Sonic on a good day is merely average. I want my DQ back as well as taco-tico.

flintysooner
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/own-a-dq/

dmoor82
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Not just The Blizzard's DQ also had Awesome burgers as well!

bucktalk
04-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Oh wow, I would love a dipped cone!!!!
You can get dip cones at Johnnies Burgers....but you have to share....

JayhawkTransplant
04-29-2011, 07:43 PM
YES. Braum's ice cream is great, but I grew up on DQ blizzards and miss them dearly.

It's funny that it's been mentioned that Sonic drove them out--I hadn't thought of that. In Kansas, Sonic and Dairy Queen co-exist peacefully...and yes, Kansans love their Sonics.

Doug Loudenback
04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
My wife and I love a Dairy Queen cone and have driven to Chickasha to get one. I hope that it will return to Okc.

Larry OKC
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Really bugs me every time I see their commercials on TV since they aren't here!

Many places (not just McDonald's have their version of the Blizzard (Sonic, Braums etc). There are some McDonald's where you can get a dipped cone too.

We used to have plenty of DQs and then they slowly closed. A few years ago there were a couple of new ones built but think they are gone as well (Edmond, near the college) and Mid-Del (think it was over on the north/south street at the intersection where Wal-Mart & Target used to be).

Good to know there is one in Chickasha, thought you had to go all the way to Texas!

Dustin
04-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Did Sonic run out Burger King too? I can't find a damn BK anywhere in this state..

ljbab728
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Did Sonic run out Burger King too? I can't find a damn BK anywhere in this state..

There are 10 Burger King locations in OKC area with 9 of those being on the south side.

metro
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Shoot, you can get a food dipped cne anywhere.....Tim's, Lions Choice and McDonalds come ro mind, I also think Freddie does too.

Larry OKC
04-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Burger Kings are scarcer than they used to be but they do still exist (same with Grandys, Furrs, Dennys, Del Rancho, Big Eds etc)

megax11
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
My wife and I love a Dairy Queen cone and have driven to Chickasha to get one. I hope that it will return to Okc.

You know, I thought that with the cities economy doing better than other states, mixed with the Thunder's arrival in the city, and the city just growing overall, that DQ would come back, as well as Jack in the Box.

We got Jack in the Box. Now we need DQ back and this city will be golden.

I have driven to Chickasha as well for a Blizzard, but man, who wouldn't like to drive a few miles in this city, plus have that franchise again in our beloved city?

To the person who mentioned Taco-Tico. I hear they still have one in Shawnee. My mother goes there sometimes, when she goes to Firelake, but she said their burritos don't taste the same as they did back in the 80's.

Still though, it would be nice to see as many franchises here in OKC as possible, as that's more money for the city, plus more options for food selection.

Sara Belle
04-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Tulsa has a Orange Julius / Dairy Queen combo in Woodland Hills Mall

Achilleslastand
04-30-2011, 10:25 AM
You know, I thought that with the cities economy doing better than other states, mixed with the Thunder's arrival in the city, and the city just growing overall, that DQ would come back, as well as Jack in the Box.

We got Jack in the Box. Now we need DQ back and this city will be golden.

I have driven to Chickasha as well for a Blizzard, but man, who wouldn't like to drive a few miles in this city, plus have that franchise again in our beloved city?

To the person who mentioned Taco-Tico. I hear they still have one in Shawnee. My mother goes there sometimes, when she goes to Firelake, but she said their burritos don't taste the same as they did back in the 80's.

Still though, it would be nice to see as many franchises here in OKC as possible, as that's more money for the city, plus more options for food selection.

Yep there is a taco tico in shawnee and tastewise it dosnt even resemble the way they used to be.

OKCTalker
04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Reason that Dairy Queen went out of business in central Oklahoma: Charlie Dunn was the long-time franchisee for local DQs (readers here "of a certain age" will remember "Dunn's Dairy Queen"). In the late-1980s, Dunn was looking for a way to sell out and retire, but no-one would pay his stratospheric price. Enter a young and very charismatic Daniel K. Borgen of Houston. He contracted with Dunn to pay the asking price, but only if Dunn would finance the no-money-down purchase, which he did. Under Borgen's control, he immediately stopped paying vendors and landlords (and employees occasionally), and funneled cash into exempt Texas trust accounts for his two young children. Dunn sued for breach, and the morning of the hearing Borgen took the company into bankruptcy, further delaying Dunn from regaining control, and vendors and landlords from suing for monetary damages. The landlords were also prevented from evicting him under bankruptcy protection. The court returned control of the company to Dunn, but by this time it had no cash, no receivables, no customes, no vendors, no leases and few employees. Charlie tried to resurrect it, but he was by then an old and financially-ruined man, and it didn't work. Other, smaller franchisees tried to make a go in central Oklahoma, but none succeeded. I served as landlord representative to the bankruptcy court, and owned several locations that were leased to DDQ.

McDonald's succeeds nationally (and internationally) for the same reason that DQ does not: Consistency. Say what you will about quality, but a Big Mac tastes the same whether you're in OKC, Moscow, Melbourne or Venice. You can't say the same about DQ products from differing franchisees even in the same city. They are notoriously independent, even to the point of suing Warren Buffet who bought DQ years ago with the hope of turning this company around as he had done on scores of other occasions. His goal: Introduce consistency. Their response: Go fly a kite. The result: No growth and miniscule market share.

kevinpate
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting OKCTalker, and info I wasn't aware of. Except that part about DQ folk being independent. The owner of the small town DQ where I grew up lived near me. Independent nature doesn't even begin to describe that fellow, lol.

As for McD's, I know they strive to hit the consistency you reference, and probably do the vast majority of the time. But it's not always there. When I worked on the south side of the city, there always seemed, to me at least, a notable difference in the quality of the unit off SE 66th/I-35 N frontage compared to SE44th/Shields. The former generally was better for lunch/evening fare and the latter seemed to have its act together better for the breakfast menu.

Noticing this was what told me I was probably popping in (way) too often at McD's.

Larry OKC
05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Thanks OKCTalker for the info!

As a former Mickey D's employee for Company owned and Owner/Operator (franchised) stores, there may be differences from time to time, but rest assured Corporate kept a fairly tight leash on such things and when it comes to their attention, it isn't allowed to continue for very long. In extreme cases, might even result in the franchisee losing control of the store or pulling their franchise completely.

Other companies are much looser on their franchisees. Taco Bueno didn't franchise for the longest time (citing quality control issues). All of their stores were company owned which lead to slow but steady growth. They finally are allowing it but was told they require any potential franchisee to be able to open at least 10 stores (instead of starting ith 1 nad expanding as it succeeds). They want instant success. Thing is, I can't think of any business that started out big. They all started with a single store and grew. From McDonald's to Wal-Mart, the story is the same.

Larry OKC
05-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Good to hear about Orange Julius..that is another company that I miss (thought they didn't exist at all any more).

Tavia
05-01-2011, 01:39 PM
There is also a taco tico in Claremore. We were there in April for a dance competition. It was awesome and clean. We have been to Shawnee a few times, to Duncan when one was there and also Elgin. I believe the latter two are closed now. The location in Claremeore was packed with little dancers from OKC and their parents who remembered Taco Tico.

Jim Kyle
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Last time I was in Quail Springs Mall there was an Orange Julius on the second level. Is it gone now?

Soonerman
05-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Theres a Taco Tico in Duncan as well.

metro
05-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Folks, Oklahoma still has DQ, Orange Julius, and BK. As someone said, the nearest DQ is Chickasha, OJ in Quail and I think Sheperd still has one. And I believe there is more than one BK on the north side. I can think of 4 off top of my head Edmond at 33rd, NW 23rd and Meridian, and Meridian and I-40, and NW expressway and council.

kevinpate
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Norman has two BK, that I can think of, one west side, one east side. Its only DQ went buh=bye a while back. Ditto for the Julius that used to be at Sooner mall.

ljbab728
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Folks, Oklahoma still has DQ, Orange Julius, and BK. As someone said, the nearest DQ is Chickasha, OJ in Quail and I think Sheperd still has one. And I believe there is more than one BK on the north side. I can think of 4 off top of my head Edmond at 33rd, NW 23rd and Meridian, and Meridian and I-40, and NW expressway and council.

metro, you're correct about more than one Burger King on the north side. I just did a quick search on their website which is obviously wrong. I go to the the one at 23rd and Meridian occasionally and I actually forgot about that when I looked. The one at I40 and Meridian is on the south side though (721 S. Meridian).

Larry OKC
05-02-2011, 12:17 AM
metro, I think you are confusing the demise of some (like DQ) in OKC proper and if some still exist in the state (45+ minutes away and about the same dollar amount in gas now days).

I rarely get to the malls but haven't seen an Orange Julius in ages (in OKC). Seems like there was an OJ in every mall, now we are down to the 1 @ Quail Springs. Interesting, one site stated that there are 225 combination Dairy Queens/Orange Julius'. As far as BK, there are definitely a few left in OKC but not near as many as there once was. Is the one on NW Expressway & Council still there (thought it had closed? The one in Edmond that was in front of Wal-Mart, reportedly was "disassembled". There used to be one at 39th & Portland (became a Mexican place years ago that has recently closed), now vacant. The ones that I have been to recently @ nw 23rd/Meridian and sw 29th/May are in serious need of renovation.

Their website lists a Taco Tico in Guyman as well as the ones in Claremore, Duncan & Shawnee

On the positive side, I did notice a "new" Del Rancho in the former Sonic at nw 50th & MacArthur.

ljbab728
05-02-2011, 12:31 AM
On the positive side, I did notice a "new" Del Rancho in the former Sonic at nw 50th & MacArthur.

Larry, it's not open yet. I made the mistake of pulling in there a few days ago to get a steak sandwich supreme. I was very disappointed.

Larry OKC
05-02-2011, 12:35 AM
LOL...good to know, I thought it looked a bit deserted the other day (hoped it hadn't come and gone before I even knew it was there) LOL

Just a side note, while they aren't near the size/quality of the Del Rancho ones, Coits has a decent steak sandwich (oversized, sticks well off the bun) and they are half price this coming Tuesday ($2.75 or so w/tax).

megax11
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
McD's might be consistent, but that means they're also consistent with making crappy McFlurry's, which are bootleg Blizzards.

First off, most of the time, when I order a McFlurry, I ask for extra Oreo. One time I got like less than one scoop of Oreo, but paid for extra. In essence, I had one bite of Oreo and ice cream, before the rest of my large McFlurry was nothing but ice cream.

When I get a Blizzard, those bad boys have chunks of Oreo in it, not just crumbs. That's quality.

bluedogok
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
A bad franchisee did Burger King in the OKC market, they shut down all of them not long ago for a time while it worked its way through the court system. Burger King has always been pretty inconsistent in OKC. I have found one near my office here in Austin that is pretty consistent and good. I always knew that franchisee issues always did DQ in the OKC market.

Thanks OKCTalker for the info!

As a former Mickey D's employee for Company owned and Owner/Operator (franchised) stores, there may be differences from time to time, but rest assured Corporate kept a fairly tight leash on such things and when it comes to their attention, it isn't allowed to continue for very long. In extreme cases, might even result in the franchisee losing control of the store or pulling their franchise completely.

Other companies are much looser on their franchisees. Taco Bueno didn't franchise for the longest time (citing quality control issues). All of their stores were company owned which lead to slow but steady growth. They finally are allowing it but was told they require any potential franchisee to be able to open at least 10 stores (instead of starting ith 1 nad expanding as it succeeds). They want instant success. Thing is, I can't think of any business that started out big. They all started with a single store and grew. From McDonald's to Wal-Mart, the story is the same.
Isn't McDonalds a real estate company that sell burgers? I remember reading something about that was the origins but maybe they have moved from that model.

Taco Bueno has opened up in the Central Texas market in recent years but they haven't made it to 10 stores yet, they are franchises. There is one in South Austin by me, Round Rock, New Braunfels, San Marcos and one in San Antonio. There is one in The Woodlands in the Houston area, I know some people that I grew up with in the Houston area who wishes they would move closer into Houston.

Caboose
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Why seek out DQ's average frozen treats when Braum's is so much superior and easily accessible?

HewenttoJared
05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Agreed. Braum's ftw

kevinpate
05-02-2011, 09:06 PM
can't argue with that logic. Braum's is often slow, even mega slow, at times, but Braum's be GOOD!

metro
05-02-2011, 09:13 PM
metro, I think you are confusing the demise of some (like DQ) in OKC proper and if some still exist in the state (45+ minutes away and about the same dollar amount in gas now days).

I rarely get to the malls but haven't seen an Orange Julius in ages (in OKC). Seems like there was an OJ in every mall, now we are down to the 1 @ Quail Springs. Interesting, one site stated that there are 225 combination Dairy Queens/Orange Julius'. As far as BK, there are definitely a few left in OKC but not near as many as there once was. Is the one on NW Expressway & Council still there (thought it had closed? The one in Edmond that was in front of Wal-Mart, reportedly was "disassembled". There used to be one at 39th & Portland (became a Mexican place years ago that has recently closed), now vacant. The ones that I have been to recently @ nw 23rd/Meridian and sw 29th/May are in serious need of renovation.

Their website lists a Taco Tico in Guyman as well as the ones in Claremore, Duncan & Shawnee

Not confused about anything Larry, the one in Edmond is still there, was there 3 weeks ago and I drive by the one at council and Expressway all the time. I know the local franchisee. As for DQ, never stated any in OKC, I mentioned Chickasha was the nearest one.

Joe Kimball
05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Why seek out DQ's average frozen treats when Braum's is so much superior and easily accessible?

Well, to strictly compare, Braums does not serve soft ice cream, instead offering frozen yogurt. Their Mix is made with frozen yogurt, and it cannot be substituted with ice cream upon my request once. Maybe this was an isolated incident; perhaps someone else is able to get a Mix with actual ice cream?

Dairy Queen serves a unique soft serve ice cream.

Larry OKC
05-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Not confused about anything Larry, the one in Edmond is still there, was there 3 weeks ago and I drive by the one at council and Expressway all the time. I know the local franchisee. As for DQ, never stated any in OKC, I mentioned Chickasha was the nearest one.

My mistake, your response to people posts about DQ not being in the CITY ended up with you talking about ones in the STATE.

Guess the article I read about the Edmond BK was wrong then, I stand corrected.

55ranchwagon
05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
other places may offer more options but the dq blizzards are still the best

Debzkidz
05-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Yes the Burger King in Edmond, in front of the old Walmart/now new Hobby Lobby location is still there. I think they did some remodeling a couple of years ago. I read in the Edmond Sun a couple of months ago that they were wanting to build another one near at Danforth and Santa Fe, but apparently it was going to back up to a housing addition and there were issues with the lighting and drive-through location being basically in someones backyard! I haven't seen any further mention of it, so I don't know if they are working on changing the plans, or if they have just scrapped the idea.

MsDarkstar
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
There's a DQ in Clinton. I've got a friend that lives here in OK but works a 2 week rotation in Pennsylvania; he says they've got DQ there but that it's ONLY "frozen treats." He said the first time he saw one there he was so excited, he went to the drive thru & ordered a burger & a blizzard without even looking at the menu and they were mystified as to why he'd think he could get a burger there lol.

For those of you that miss Orange Julius drinks, I've got a recipe for at home versions that amazingly enough taste just like the real deal. Got it out of a Tulsa Junior League cookbook from 1978 lol. I make them all the time!

Dustin
05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
A bad franchisee did Burger King in the OKC market, they shut down all of them not long ago for a time while it worked its way through the court system. Burger King has always been pretty inconsistent in OKC. I have found one near my office here in Austin that is pretty consistent and good. I always knew that franchisee issues always did DQ in the OKC market.

When I was in Dallas for a convention I stopped by a BK for a quick meal and it was glorious!!! It was the best BK I have ever been to. The food was piping hot and delicious! I wish I could lift that place up and lay it down right next to my house.

metro
05-22-2011, 08:11 PM
For those who miss DQ, try Lions Choice, it's better!

BigBadBen
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
We have been to Shawnee a few times, to Duncan when one was there and also Elgin. I believe the latter two are closed now.

The Taco Tico in Duncan is alive and well.
I rarely go there when I'm in town, but prefer it to the bell.

Pete
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
For those of you wanting good soft-serve ice cream, try Tim's at NW 50th & Meridian. The have the DQ-style dipped cones as well.

They also have great Indian tacos, coneys, limeades and more.

ctchandler
06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Pete,
Isn't that NW 50th and MacArthur? I have had the Indian taco and it is very good.
C. T.

For those of you wanting good soft-serve ice cream, try Tim's at NW 50th & Meridian. The have the DQ-style dipped cones as well.

They also have great Indian tacos, coneys, limeades and more.

Achilleslastand
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Pete,
Isn't that NW 50th and MacArthur? I have had the Indian taco and it is very good.
C. T.

Yes it is 50th and MacArthur. Everything ive had on the menu was quite good and the chocolate dipped cones are huge!

Pete
06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, meant 50th & McArthur! Sorry about that.

Tim's has been there for decades and is a great family-run local business.

ctchandler
06-10-2011, 10:00 AM
They have a daily special and before I retired I went there often. I never had anything that wasn't good. I wouldn't say any one item is the best in town, just always good. And of course, as Pete says, it's a family run business.
C. T.

Yes it is 50th and MacArthur. Everything ive had on the menu was quite good and the chocolate dipped cones are huge!

metro
06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Tms is awesome for food, but it's ice-cream isn't near as good as Lions Choice.

jmarkross
06-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Why are there no Dairy Queen's in OKC?

Simple. Incredibly poorly-run franchises--no quality control. They did/do everything the OPPOSITE of the leaders...Ray Kroc and Col. Harlan Sanders--who were both extraordinarily strict about just that--and they were wildly successful. I mean--how hard is that?

MikeOKC
06-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Isn't McDonalds a real estate company that sell burgers? I remember reading something about that was the origins but maybe they have moved from that model.

I've heard that before. They were smart enough very soon in their operations to only buy land for locations. No leasing. After a certain number of years, it was clear how smart that was - a huge percentage of their worth was in the land their restaurants were built on.

55ranchwagon
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
i dont mind the chickasha drive

kevinpate
09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
i dont mind the chickasha drive

I don't either, but since I greatly prefer either of my nearby Braum's, I save oodles and poodles on gas.

BBatesokc
09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
When I was very young my grandmother would take me to church and the two choices when we got out were DQ or Long John Silvers. I usually picked DQ because it also meant I got dessert!

But, from what I remember, DQ soon started going the way of Del Rancho and even Braum's...... Outdated stores that were dirty and poorly staffed. Braums recognized this and made wonderful improvements (for the most part) - DQ did not and died and I have no idea what keeps Del Rancho in business.

The only thing that runs someone else out of business is someone else who does your job better.

kevinpate
09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
... and I have no idea what keeps Del Rancho in business. ...

I can't begin to speculate how DR instills it, but customer loyalty is the only plausible answer.
I'm not a fan, but there are folks who would rather do DR than eat their own home cooking.

Snowman
09-03-2012, 08:38 PM
But, from what I remember, DQ soon started going the way of Del Rancho and even Braum's...... Outdated stores that were dirty and poorly staffed. Braums recognized this and made wonderful improvements (for the most part) - DQ did not and died ...

Since a good expansion on the reasons behind this I though I would repeat it, the condition of the stores and staff were only a symptom of someone conning every party involved in the region out of money due them.

Reason that Dairy Queen went out of business in central Oklahoma: Charlie Dunn was the long-time franchisee for local DQs (readers here "of a certain age" will remember "Dunn's Dairy Queen"). In the late-1980s, Dunn was looking for a way to sell out and retire, but no-one would pay his stratospheric price. Enter a young and very charismatic Daniel K. Borgen of Houston. He contracted with Dunn to pay the asking price, but only if Dunn would finance the no-money-down purchase, which he did. Under Borgen's control, he immediately stopped paying vendors and landlords (and employees occasionally), and funneled cash into exempt Texas trust accounts for his two young children. Dunn sued for breach, and the morning of the hearing Borgen took the company into bankruptcy, further delaying Dunn from regaining control, and vendors and landlords from suing for monetary damages. The landlords were also prevented from evicting him under bankruptcy protection. The court returned control of the company to Dunn, but by this time it had no cash, no receivables, no customes, no vendors, no leases and few employees. Charlie tried to resurrect it, but he was by then an old and financially-ruined man, and it didn't work. Other, smaller franchisees tried to make a go in central Oklahoma, but none succeeded. I served as landlord representative to the bankruptcy court, and owned several locations that were leased to DDQ.

Steve
09-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Snowman, do you think new franchisees could resurrect the brand in OKC? I've noticed a similar resurrection is underway with Jack in the Box and Dunkin Donuts....

Snowman
09-03-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't see why not, they went from operating normally to gone fast enough it should not have a permanent stigma from many around at the time, on top of that with it happening over twenty years ago a large portion of the potential customer base will have no idea what the stores were like then. Plus we have had several brands from other regions come in and do well between now and then. The main question on that I expect would be when is our fast food market over saturated.