View Full Version : Big 12 Championship Title

Pages : [1] 2

MonkeesFan
11-25-2012, 03:03 AM
The Sooners will have to win at TCU next week and the Longhorns to defeat Kansas State to win their 8th Big 12 Championship Title, it will be hard to do but anything can happen

Easy180
11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Certainly backed into championships before lol

SoonerBoy18
11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I will root for Texas to win but do you really think they are gonna try to win and let their rival become conference champions? Lol

Easy180
11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
The shorthorns have very little chance up north so hoping for an OU win and a trip to the Sugar Bowl for a rematch with the Gators

MonkeesFan
11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I will root for Texas to win but do you really think they are gonna try to win and let their rival become conference champions? Lol

Probably not but Kansas State is their rival too so it is a lose lose situation for the Longhorns

bluedogok
11-25-2012, 08:45 PM
A team worth anything doesn't think that way, they want to win no matter the circumstances. A team that throws a game for any reason is worthless.

dankrutka
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
The Sooners will have to win at TCU next week and the Longhorns to defeat Kansas State to win their 8th Big 12 Championship Title, it will be hard to do but anything can happen

This is inaccurate. Under the old system tiebreakers sent teams to the championship game where the champion was determined. That is not the case anymore. If KSU and OU finish with the same record then they are co-champions. The tiebreaker will only determine who goes to the Fiesta Bowl to represent the Big 12.

If OU beats TCU then they can put Big 12 champs on the stadium. This happened a million times in the old Big 8 when there was no conference championship.

ljbab728
11-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I won't expect OU to be putting any Big 12 champs signs on the stadium anytime soon even if they win it this year.

BoulderSooner
11-26-2012, 06:31 AM
I won't expect OU to be putting any Big 12 champs signs on the stadium anytime soon even if they win it this year.

you will be disappointed then if OU and kstate win on sat the conf champs number on the stadium will go up one

Martin
11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
you will be disappointed then if OU and kstate win on sat the conf champs number on the stadium will go up one

i'm not sure i follow... if both teams win this saturday, then they both finish with one conference loss. wouldn't ksu's head-to-head win over ou make them conference champs?

-M

edit: nevermind... looked up the rules on big12sports.com. apparently the tiebreaker is for determining the big 12 bcs representative and not the big 12 champ.

MonkeesFan
11-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Reminds me of Texas A&M putting conference champions on the wall even they did not even win one which is stupid

MonkeesFan
11-26-2012, 07:34 AM
This is inaccurate. Under the old system tiebreakers sent teams to the championship game where the champion was determined. That is not the case anymore. If KSU and OU finish with the same record then they are co-champions. The tiebreaker will only determine who goes to the Fiesta Bowl to represent the Big 12.

If OU beats TCU then they can put Big 12 champs on the stadium. This happened a million times in the old Big 8 when there was no conference championship.

Thank you for the correction but if OU beats TCU and Kansas State wins, the Sooners are not going to put Big 12 champions on the stadium since Kansas State will have a better record than the Sooners by 1 game

Just the facts
11-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Thank you for the correction but if OU beats TCU and Kansas State wins, the Sooners are not going to put Big 12 champions on the stadium since Kansas State will have a better record than the Sooners by 1 game

They play the same number of conference games and both will have lost 1.

MonkeesFan
11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
They play the same number of conference games and both will have lost 1.

Sooners are 9-2 Kansas State are 10-1

kevinpate
11-26-2012, 09:54 AM

each team has one conference loss. The hurt put on OU by the Irish was a non-conference schoolin'

venture
11-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Overall doesn't matter when it comes to conference records. That is the one only that will matter in this case.

BoulderSooner
11-26-2012, 09:59 AM

your wrong ..

Hawk405359
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
The shorthorns have very little chance up north so hoping for an OU win and a trip to the Sugar Bowl for a rematch with the Gators

If OU doesnt' win the conference championship, they may not even get to a BCS bowl, depending on if Kent State can move up 1 spot.

venture
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
If OU doesnt' win the conference championship, they may not even get to a BCS bowl, depending on if Kent State can move up 1 spot.

Indeed. Mixed feelings on this one for me. I grew up in MAC country (even though you could claim it was Big Ten as well, bu I can't stand them LOL) and it would be nice to finally see one of their teams break into the BCS.

However a Texas win over KSU would likely block them from moving up to #16. They also need Stanford to win, which isn't that far fetched at all. Of course it means nothing if they don't beat Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship this week.

dankrutka
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Reminds me of Texas A&M putting conference champions on the wall even they did not even win one which is stupid

Not the same at all. Texas A&M claimed a conference championship for being a co-division champion. Under that system you had to win the conference championship game to get a conference championship. What A&M did was not only lame, but against the rules that were agreed to prior to the season. I have no problem if they had claimed a co-division championship (even if that is kind of lame). If OU wins this week then they are playing by the rules agreed to by all teams prior to the season. I have no problem with it. Big 8 teams did it for 50 years. Comparing the two situations is silly because they're totally different.

SoonerDave
11-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Big 8 teams did it for 50 years.

Exactly. One of the most memorable ties was back in 1978, when a dominant Sooner team went up to Lincoln and basically fumbled away a national title shot at Nebraska, with Heisman winner Billy Sims fumbling at the 3 yard line as he was tightroping the sidelines for what would have been a game-winning score. Nebraska won 17-14, and it looked like they'd win the Big 8.

The next week, Oklahoma played OSU in Norman in what was then a mop-up game, and Nebraska played Missouri in Lincoln. While OU was wiping the floor with the Pokes to the tune of something like 62-7, strange cheers would come up from the crowd at weird times (remember, this is WAAAAY before cell phones and internet) because they were listening to their RADIOS as announcements of the Husker score came in. Finally - the scoreboard and the PA announcer (the late Bill Boren) announced "Final from Lincoln - Missouri 35, Nebraska 31" The crowd went nuts. OU and NU finished the Big 8 at 7-1, as official "co-champs." Out of conference records mattered not one bit, just as they don't matter now in the round-robin Big 12.

The end-game? While Nebraska won the head-to-head match to get the "conference" berth in the Orange Bowl, the Orange Bowl reps decided that the best possible game was to rematch the Huskers against the Sooners, in a game the Sooners won 31-17 in a game that wasn't that close (NU scored a garbage TD literally as time expired).

I'll never forget the film of the phone call to Tom Osborne inviting them to play OU. It was dead silence, like they'd had their Christmas turkey stolen. The Orange Bowl rep heard nothing after the invite, and said "Hello? Hello?" And Osborne finally said "We're here." The expression was priceless.

As is the memory.

bluedogok
11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I'll never forget the film of the phone call to Tom Osborne inviting them to play OU. It was dead silence, like they'd had their Christmas turkey stolen. The Orange Bowl rep heard nothing after the invite, and said "Hello? Hello?" And Osborne finally said "We're here." The expression was priceless.

As is the memory.
You mean this one?
O8tcxfQ3_bs

SoonerDave
11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Bingo. Absolute classic.

ou48A
11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
IF both OU & KSU win Saturday as said before there will be Co big 12 champions according to the conference rules…. Since OU would be awarded a share of the conference title they would add it to the list giving OU 44 all-time conference titles...That more than any other university in the US.

PS:Many of the old Big 8 conference championships were split

MonkeesFan
12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
The Sooners just won their 8th Big 12 title but honestly, I do not think they should be shared

OKCDrummer77
12-01-2012, 02:04 PM
This is only the 2nd time in my life I have ever said this: Go Longhorns.

MonkeesFan
12-01-2012, 02:39 PM

When was the first?

MonkeesFan
12-01-2012, 02:46 PM
If Kansas State loses, do the Sooners win the Big 12 title outright?

Just the facts
12-01-2012, 02:48 PM

I would rather share a title and send two Big XII teams to a BCS bowl then see Texas win and only send 1 to a BCS game. OU has nothing to gain with a Texas win.

Conspiracy theory alert... we should do what the SEC does and tell Texas to keep it close and then do something stupid at the end to lose.

OKCDrummer77
12-01-2012, 02:50 PM
The first was when Texas, led by Vince Young, beat USC for the 2005 national championship. There we 2 reasons: 1) I wanted the Big XII to win the national championship, even if it was Texas. 2) If USC had won, it would have been their 35th straight (maybe 36th, I'm not sure). It would have put them in striking distance of surpassing OU's record 47-game streak. No one has come close since, and OU's record is safe for several years at least.

To answer your other question, a K-State loss gives OU the outright title, as they will have the only 8-1 conference record.

SoonerDave
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I would rather share a title and send two Big XII teams to a BCS bowl then see Texas win and only send 1 to a BCS game. OU has nothing to gain with a Texas win.

Conspiracy theory alert... we should do what the SEC does and tell Texas to keep it close and then do something stupid at the end to lose.

Not nothing...outright title is on the line. I don't want UT to win, I just want KSU to lose. If it happens to be UT that does it, its collateral damage. Besides, it might keep the hounds in Austin at bay to keep Mack around a while longer so he can continue clapping his way to irrelevance... :)

MonkeesFan
12-01-2012, 03:31 PM
The first was when Texas, led by Vince Young, beat USC for the 2005 national championship. There we 2 reasons: 1) I wanted the Big XII to win the national championship, even if it was Texas. 2) If USC had won, it would have been their 35th straight (maybe 36th, I'm not sure). It would have put them in striking distance of surpassing OU's record 47-game streak. No one has come close since, and OU's record is safe for several years at least.

To answer your other question, a K-State loss gives OU the outright title, as they will have the only 8-1 conference record.

Thank you!

kevinpate
12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I've decided while I am ok with KState having a terrible horrible no good very bad day, I'll be better about it if UT also happens to have a terrible horrible no good, very bad, but just a hair slightly better than KState, day. Of course, I also dream about it raining puppies and guppies sometimes so it probably doesn't matter much how i hope things go.

Stan Silliman
12-01-2012, 05:06 PM
I've decided while I am ok with KState having a terrible horrible no good very bad day, I'll be better about it if UT also happens to have a terrible horrible no good, very bad, but just a hair slightly better than KState, day. Of course, I also dream about it raining puppies and guppies sometimes so it probably doesn't matter much how i hope things go.

Won't the puppies eat the guppies if they land close to each other? Or will the puppies die
and the guppies, if they land in a pond, survive? It's hard to root against puppies but the
guppies are babies, too.

Just the facts
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Georgia got the SEC memo. Instead of running 3 plays from 10 yard line for the win - they let Alabama win.

Just the facts
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Not nothing...outright title is on the line. I don't want UT to win, I just want KSU to lose. If it happens to be UT that does it, its collateral damage. Besides, it might keep the hounds in Austin at bay to keep Mack around a while longer so he can continue clapping his way to irrelevance... :)

After today OU will have 44 conference championships. Nothing KSU and UT will do will change that. A UT win will cost OU $2 million.

Dustin
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
After today OU will have 44 conference championships. Nothing KSU and UT will do will change that. A UT win will cost OU $2 million.

How does it cost them 2 mil?

Just the facts
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
How does it cost them 2 mil?

That will be OUs share if KSU goes to a BCS game. KSU loses, no BCS game for them, OU loses $2 million.

Dustin
12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
That will be OUs share if KSU goes to a BCS game. KSU loses, no BCS game for them, OU loses $2 million.

Gotcha.

MonkeesFan
12-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I knew Texas would choke in the 2nd half

Popsy
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM

If KSU loses, OU goes to the BCS Bowl, so tell us again how OU loses two million dollars. You might need to look into changing your handle.

ljbab728
12-01-2012, 09:29 PM
If KSU loses, OU goes to the BCS Bowl, so tell us again how OU loses two million dollars. You might need to look into changing your handle.

Popsy, actually OU is almost assured of going to a BCS Bowl in either situation. If KState lost OU would go to the Fiesta Bowl. If KState wins OU will likely go to the Sugar Bowl. Thus if KState loses, the Big 12 only gets one team in a BCS Bowl and less money.

venture
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Congrats to KSU on the win tonight and becoming Co-Champs.

Hopefully OU gets picked for the Sugar Bowl to get a bigger pay day for the Big 12.

The sad thing...Rose Bowl gets a 5 loss team. Terrible.

ljbab728
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Hopefully OU gets picked for the Sugar Bowl to get a bigger pay day for the Big 12.

The sad thing...Rose Bowl gets a 5 loss team. Terrible.

I never feel sorry for the Rose Bowl if they get a bad matchup. They are always more concerned about tradition than about football.

stick47
12-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Bob Stoops, 2011 (Tulsa World):
"There will be one. That's just how I see it," Stoops said. "Again, I don't know any other way to look at it. If you're all going to play each other, it pretty well sets up that way."

Bob Stoops, 2012 (ESPN):
"Big 12 champs or co-champs, either way, they're recognized as champions," Stoops said. "There seemed to be a little confusion about it, but there isn't. ... Nobody here made those rules. At the present time, that's where we're at."

So which is it, Bob? I guess it depends on whether you beat K State or K State beat you. This year OU is the bridesmaid and Bob still wants a share of the title. He should go into politics. No way Gundy would say that if OSU had been in that position.

ou48A
12-02-2012, 12:02 PM
That will be OUs share if KSU goes to a BCS game. KSU loses, no BCS game for them, OU loses $2 million.Not true….

By rule (and you can look it up if you want) if a second team from a conference makes a BCS game the payout is drastically reduced to I think in the 4/5 million dollar range. In the B12 after team expenses this figure is split equally (I think its 11 ways) as are all the bowl game pay outs of conference members and divided up.

There are 9 bowl eligible BIG 12 conference members this year.

bluedogok
12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Every good coach is political, just like Saban griping about the hurry-up offense after the A&M game and then using it last night. It's just a nature of the position. Yes, by rule they are co-champions as there is no championship game in the Big 12-2 now, just like in the old Big 8 days. Head to head only matters in the BCS bid. Would head to head matter if OU was ranked ahead of KSU? If OU hadn't of lost to ND then there would be a good chance they would have moved ahead of KSU because KSU lost late. Just shows how screwy the polls can be.

SOONER8693
12-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Bob Stoops, 2011 (Tulsa World):
"There will be one. That's just how I see it," Stoops said. "Again, I don't know any other way to look at it. If you're all going to play each other, it pretty well sets up that way."

Bob Stoops, 2012 (ESPN):
"Big 12 champs or co-champs, either way, they're recognized as champions," Stoops said. "There seemed to be a little confusion about it, but there isn't. ... Nobody here made those rules. At the present time, that's where we're at."

So which is it, Bob? I guess it depends on whether you beat K State or K State beat you. This year OU is the bridesmaid and Bob still wants a share of the title. He should go into politics. No way Gundy would say that if OSU had been in that position.
You're full of cr*p aggie.

Just the facts
12-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Not true….

By rule (and you can look it up if you want) if a second team from a conference makes a BCS game the payout is drastically reduced to I think in the 4/5 million dollar range. In the B12 after team expenses this figure is split equally (I think its 11 ways) as are all the bowl game pay outs of conference members and divided up.

There are 9 bowl eligible BIG 12 conference members this year.

Either way, 2 BCS plus 7 other bowls pays more than 1 BCS plus 8 other bowls. Anyhow, it doesn't matter now.

As for the Rose Bowl, good for them. If they are happy with a 5 loss team I am happy they have a 5 loss team. Pus, the highest ranked team in the PAC-12 didn't even get to play in their own conference championship game. After seeing the event unfold, I hope the Big XII never goes back to a conference championship game no matter how many teams are in the conference. Let the season decide it.

BTW - how can KSU in one week go from the best undefeated team to the 4th best 1-loss team?

stick47
12-02-2012, 01:54 PM
You're full of cr*p aggie.

Anyone who would claim to be co-champs with a team w/an equal conference record, who had BEAT them is a person I wouldn't call credible or objective. Keep dreaming sooner8693.

SOONER8693
12-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Anyone who would claim to be co-champs with a team w/an equal conference record, who had BEAT them is a person I wouldn't call credible or objective. Keep dreaming sooner8693.
Hey aggie, 51-48, OUCH! You're dismissed. Take the next order at the drive thru.

zookeeper
12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Hey aggie, 51-48, OUCH! You're dismissed. Take the next order at the drive thru.

I'm a Sooner fan but am embarrassed that Stoops would offer 2 different philosophies on this situation in 2 consecutive years. The sports networks are having a ball showing the video of the conflicting opinions over 12 months from Coach Stoops. We have the same record and KSU beat us in the head to head matchup, let's be honest that Stoops was correct last year and that Kansas State is the champion of the Big 12. I wonder if this is really Bob's campaign to get the conference championship bonus in his contract.

Just the facts
12-02-2012, 02:58 PM

But KSU lost to a team that OU beat. See how it kind of goes in a circle. KSU gets the Big XII BCS slot because of the head to head win.

..or are you saying Baylor should be the Big XII champ because after all, they beat KSU.

stick47
12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Quite appropriately, Zookeeper's post says it all. As for OSU losing to OU this year, not unexpected with as many Srs as they had graduate in 2011. (when the score wasn't quite as close..)

venture
12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Northern Illinois has been picked by the Orange Bowl. OU will not be going to a BCS bowl.

stick47
12-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Obama had the fix in.

zookeeper
12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
L.A. Times -

Northern Illinois' bid knocks out Oklahoma, the presumed at-large bid from the Big 12.

BCS rules stipulate a team from a "nonqualifier" conference earns a bid if it finishes in the top 16 ahead of a major conference champion. Northern Illinois is already assured of finishing ahead of both the Big East (Louisville) and Big Ten (Wisconsin) champions.

Northern Illinois, 12-1, started the weekend at No. 21 in the BCS standings and then defeated Kent State in double overtime Friday night to clinch the MAC title.

Four schools ahead of Northern Illinois lost -- Nebraska, Texas, UCLA and Kent State -- increasing the chance the Huskies could slip in and steal the last spot.

The real shocker was Nebraska dropping eight spots to No. 21 after a 70-31 loss to Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game.

The news firms up this year's bowl lineup:

BCS: Notre Dame vs. Alabama

Rose: Stanford vs. Wisconsin

Fiesta: Oregon vs. Kansas State

Sugar: Florida vs. Louisville

Orange: Northern Illinois vs. Florida State

The only downside to the news for Northern Illinois is that Coach Dave Doeren announced after Friday's win that he had accepted the head coaching job at North Carolina.

Reports: Northern Illinois earns BCS berth to Orange Bowl - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-northern-illinois-orange-bowl-20121202,0,68959.story)

So where does that leave the Sooners? Any word on a backup bowl if BCS didn't work out? I'm really surprised.

bluedogok
12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
So I guess that you disavow the 1976 Big 8 Co-Championship that OSU claims? It was a three way tie between OU, OSU and Colorado. OSU beat OU and lost to Colorado.

stick47
12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
My cousin started on that team so I have personal reasons to give OSU the Title.

Easy180
12-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Poor Orange Bowl. That will be some god awful ratings for that stinker

Kinda cool for fans of N Illinois to get to experience a BCS bowl