View Full Version : Boycott Black Thursday

SoonerQueen
11-21-2012, 01:02 AM

I think spending time with family is so important. I think a few days each year should be honored as holidays and businesses should stay closed. Have a day with your family and friends on Thanksgiving and then go shop all you want on Friday.

soonerguru
11-21-2012, 01:50 AM
I agree. Also, please boycott Black Friday, too. Go see a movie with the family or just go out and get rip-roaring drunk at one of our fine drinking establishments. Holidays should not be synonymous with consumption. And I say that as an Obama supporter wanting to see our economy grow.

Why should we be compelled to buy stuff on certain days at the whim of industry? What a lifeless, soul-destroying affair.

Bill Robertson
11-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I agree. Also, please boycott Black Friday, too. Go see a movie with the family or just go out and get rip-roaring drunk at one of our fine drinking establishments. Holidays should not be synonymous with consumption. And I say that as an Obama supporter wanting to see our economy grow.

Why should we be compelled to buy stuff on certain days at the whim of industry? What a lifeless, soul-destroying affair.Pretty much my plan.

kevinpate
11-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I still have mixed emotions on places being open on holidays. In HS and early adult days, I worked in food places, mainly pizza. We'd be closed during the daytime but open evenings on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years day. When we opened on holiday evenings, we were never, ever lonely. They were also some of the best (fun-wise) nights of the year, with decent tips for the wait staff.

However, I imagine the retail sales folk don't enjoy those shifts near as much as we did.

BBatesokc
11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm torn a bit too. I personally don't participate in Black Friday, but not because of 'family' or anything other than I'm not a crowd person, I find the general public to be rude and annoying and I've never found the deals to be that great.

Now Cyer Monday? I'm all in!

We actually try and get out of town for Thanksgiving & the shopping frenzy that follows. Right now we are almost to New Mexico for some snowboarding.

Personally we stopped shopping for friends & family years ago. We'll get something for the house, I'll put a fun stocking together for the wife and then we'll take a vacation in January (Belize this year).

We'll go buy toys for a couple of charities - most likey mostly for No Boundaries' Operation Christmas Shoebox (http://nbint.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012ChristmasShoebox-copysmall.jpg).

I remember working holidays in retail and food service. I actually liked it as a young person. But it would be a drag if you were an adult parent and having to miss those family moments.

Of course sometimes we forget there are plenty of other occupations that require holiday working hours. A friend couldn't come with us for this trip because she works at a hospital.

Regardless, happy holidays!

bluedogok
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I just don't see the benefit of sales to the companies, it seems like there is a point of diminishing returns when you add the increased expenses. Sure there might have been a bump in sales last year when there were only a few open but when everybody is doing it, you lose that advantage. I think that most of the same people that are nuts at 5:00 AM on Friday (like my wife) are going to be the same ones on Thursday (which she is not participating in) that you get to a point where you are doing nothing but spreading it out more, not increasing sales.

venture
11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I'll last last year was the first time I did Black Friday stuff and it was crazy. It was also interesting to witness your stereotypical soccer moms get nasty with each other.

This year I'm doing most of my shopping online. Amazon has already started and several other big box retailers have their sales going on now as well. No need to wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday when the sales are already here and before most people notice them.

Just the facts
11-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Count me in for the boycott. I am tired of 'profit at all cost' economics. Personally, I wish stores wouldn't open until noon on Firday.

kevinpate
11-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Bbates, hope you enjoy your holiday. Back when my folks were younger, they were regular skiers over Thanksgiving, first at Red River, then for many many years at Wolf Creek in southern Colorado. They had so much fun and went so often they were well known to the locals and the ski area staff. The first time I ever tagged along to South Fork with them it was truly no different than walking into places in my home town with them. They were recognized on site, and recognized folks right back, just as if they'd been living there for ages.

They're both gone now, but I thank you for bringing back some wonderfully happy memories to me today.

OKCisOK4me
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Im up for good ole fashioned procrastination when it comes to Christmas shopping...I don't like being herded around like the general masses of sheep.

adaniel
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I will be keeping my butt firmly planted at my parents house. I did one black friday event a few years a go and that was enough for me. The thought of giving up family time on Thanksgiving day to do the same thing is repulsive.

How ironic that the day we should be giving thanks for what we have in our lives, people will be spent at the mall being savages towards each other to get a crappy off-brand flat screen television. As already pointed out, unless you can get the "doorbuster" products, which generally sell out in the first 30 seconds the store opens, the deals are usually not that good. Also, my heart goes out to the workers who get paid $8.00 an hour to put up with this crap.

I just think its ridiculous that the retail industry has whipped up such a frenzy. They are really going to get someone killed.

Plutonic Panda
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I will be keeping my butt firmly planted at my parents house. I did one black friday event a few years a go and that was enough for me. The thought of giving up family time on Thanksgiving day to do the same thing is repulsive.

How ironic that the day we should be giving thanks for what we have in our lives, people will be spent at the mall being savages towards each other to get a crappy off-brand flat screen television. As already pointed out, unless you can get the "doorbuster" products, which generally sell out in the first 30 seconds the store opens, the deals are usually not that good. Also, my heart goes out to the workers who get paid $8.00 an hour to put up with this crap.

I just think its ridiculous that the retail industry has whipped up such a frenzy. They are really going to get someone killed.Technically they "indirectly" already have

13 Most Brutal Black Friday Injuries/Deaths (http://www.ranker.com/list/13-most-brutal-black-friday-injuries-and-deaths/john-barryman)

venture
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM

I just think its ridiculous that the retail industry has whipped up such a frenzy. They are really going to get someone killed.

Yeah, I'm not doing a Midnight event this year. There is no point when the "doorbusters" are available online as well (even as early as today). No need to deal with the crowds.

I would be a bit careful about the sympathy for the workers. I have a relative that works for the evil one (Walmart) in management, and their hourly workers are getting paid holiday pay on top of overtime during these peak days on top of 20% discounts for the rest of the year. So they are making out very well.

Plutonic Panda
11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not doing a Midnight event this year. There is no point when the "doorbusters" are available online as well (even as early as today). No need to deal with the crowds.

I would be a bit careful about the sympathy for the workers. I have a relative that works for the evil one (Walmart) in management, and their hourly workers are getting paid holiday pay on top of overtime during these peak days on top of 20% discounts for the rest of the year. So they are making out very well.For those who would rather spend Thanksgiving with their family instead of making a few extra bucks, they don't have a choice and are being forced to work there.

Just the facts
11-21-2012, 12:45 PM
For those who would rather spend Thanksgiving with their family instead of making a few extra bucks, they don't have a choice and are being forced to work there.

My wife and I talked about this morning. The bottom line is, when choose to work in retail you go into knowing you are going to work on holidays. If you think you can work at a retailer and NOT work on the busiest time of the year you clearly didn't think things through. The objective should be to not make it their busiest time of the year by not shopping during the extended hours. That is the job of the consumer. Sooner or later we as shoppers are going to have to realize that our appetite for saving a few dollars is having a serious negative impact on others.

bluedogok
11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
It just goes down to what kind of retail, if you work for the big national chains, you should expect these type of hours and situations. If you work for smaller, local places it is not as common,

As far as "time with family", I think that is becoming less and less common every year and many don't seek the traditional holidays anymore that many of us grew up with. I know that my holidays bear little resemblance to those when I was growing up.

Easy180
11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
It just goes down to what kind of retail, if you work for the big national chains, you should expect these type of hours and situations. If you work for smaller, local places it is not as common,

As far as "time with family", I think that is becoming less and less common every year and many don't seek the traditional holidays anymore that many of us grew up with. I know that my holidays bear little resemblance to those when I was growing up.

Yep. Our turkey day get togethers now just run between noon and maybe 3:00 which suits me just fine.....They can spend all day with their families and get holiday pay to help with buying presents...Not bad at all IMO

boscorama
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I hate Thanksgiving being turned into Black Thursday.

Snowman
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I have pretty munched always avoided the Black Friday shopping lines

SSEiYah
11-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Black Friday is for folks who don't know better. There are better deals to be had year-round if you watch the deal site forums such as slickdeals.

I do want a generator, however it is unclear if Home Depot is still running the $200 3500watt deal. OGE seems to not care about power in my neighborhood, as last time power went out it took them 18 hours to get it back up and running. It would be nice to have a generator to run heaters/Air Conditioners, however that deal may be dead at this point.

betts
11-22-2012, 04:05 AM
I try to never shop online unless something isn't available locally. I'd rather pay sales tax than shipping, as I can support MAPS. I do shop Dillard's excellent New Year's Day sale but otherwise I pretty much avoid holiday shopping. Spending time with my family is far more important than saving a few bucks.

WilliamTell
11-22-2012, 05:34 AM
I always boycott black friday. I participated once and realized it was just a waste of time and i dont understand some peoples almost manic obsession with shopping. The jewelry that i was looking at getting was quite literally doubled in price (overnight) then marked down 50 percent! Literally, checked it thanksgiving week and went back on black friday and it was like that at multiple stores. The only real 'deals' that they were on almost industrial grade jewelry that was cloudy and dull.

Outside of that if you look at the electronic deals its typically all off brand items that you wouldnt ever consider buying or a very limited number of brand name electronics with cheapened internals that are typically sold overseas. The best true deals ive found have been after Christmas or during the summer doldrums.

Another story - last year i did particpate online and purchased something from walmart.com. I purchased a braun 3 series shaver to replace my old braun 3 series shaver after 2-3 years of daily use. My old one was made in germany, the new one in china. Its made of cheaper materials, feels alot more flimsy and doesnt have the same features....

BBatesokc
11-22-2012, 05:43 AM
I try to never shop online unless something isn't available locally. I'd rather pay sales tax than shipping, as I can support MAPS. I do shop Dillard's excellent New Year's Day sale but otherwise I pretty much avoid holiday shopping. Spending time with my family is far more important than saving a few bucks.

Unfortunately, virtually every major purchase (and lots of minor) I've made in the last few years (besides cars, and large appliances) has been a much better deal online than locally. I can't justify spending 20-50% more for an item locally when I can order it online without any hassles and usually the shipping is free.

I am hoping Home Depot or Best But will have a similar refrigerator deal as they did last year - a really nice double door frig with a lower freezer that sales most days for $2599. They had it for $1500.

I get most of my electronics this time of year around Cyber Monday. Memory cards are usually 50% off and even nicer camcorders are 30-50% off.

We are waking up this Thanksgiving a.m. at the Sipapu Ski Resort in NM (next to Taos). First trip here - the cheapest skiing I've ever experienced ($20 lift tickets with zero lines). They are having a large traditional Thanksgiving dinner tonight at family style tables. We are looking forward to it.

WilliamTell
11-22-2012, 05:53 AM
We are waking up this Thanksgiving a.m. at the Sipapu Ski Resort in NM (next to Taos). First trip here - the cheapest skiing I've ever experienced ($20 lift tickets with zero lines). They are having a large traditional Thanksgiving dinner tonight at family style tables. We are looking forward to it.

I was coming back from Taos earlier this year and almost hit a huge mule deer(might of been an elk) right outside the entrance!

MonkeesFan
11-22-2012, 06:06 AM
I do not see what the problem is? Families have all day to enjoy Thanksgiving....

rcjunkie
11-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I refuse to shop at any business that's open on Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, I started this self imposed boycott several years ago and don't plan on stopping.

kevinpate
11-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I refuse to shop at any business that's open on Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, I started this self imposed boycott several years ago and don't plan on stopping.

Good on ya! Folks who don't wanna be somewhere ought not inflict themselves on those who do.

bluedogok
11-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Black Friday is for folks who don't know better. There are better deals to be had year-round if you watch the deal site forums such as slickdeals.

I do want a generator, however it is unclear if Home Depot is still running the $200 3500watt deal. OGE seems to not care about power in my neighborhood, as last time power went out it took them 18 hours to get it back up and running. It would be nice to have a generator to run heaters/Air Conditioners, however that deal may be dead at this point.
If you know what you are shopping for and just buying the loss leaders you can come out pretty well. A couple of years ago my father got a Ridgid Shop-vac at Home Depot for $30 instead of the normal $90. They key is you have to know what things are priced for the rest of the year and buy only those items that are priced to get you in to buy other things.

Unfortunately, virtually every major purchase (and lots of minor) I've made in the last few years (besides cars, and large appliances) has been a much better deal online than locally. I can't justify spending 20-50% more for an item locally when I can order it online without any hassles and usually the shipping is free.
For me it depends on what it is and the price difference, I would prefer to buy local but many of the items that I buy I just can't find local and sometimes I can but not anywhere close to what I can find online. I will pay a premium to buy local but it varies on the type of item.

The mountain manager there is a PC North grad, 1985 I think. I met him on a Texas motorcycle forum when he lived in Austin, about a mile from our house.

boscorama
11-22-2012, 08:43 PM
I do not see what the problem is? Families have all day to enjoy Thanksgiving....

Some families have genuine quality time doing the Black shopping thing.

I think the problem is the STORY has shifted from giving thanks, eating, and football, to buying stuff. Couldn't even wait till Friday. Sad.

MonkeesFan
11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Some families have genuine quality time doing the Black shopping thing.

I think the problem is the STORY has shifted from giving thanks, eating, and football, to buying stuff. Couldn't even wait till Friday. Sad.

Well, same thing goes for other holidays too

bluedogok
11-22-2012, 09:01 PM
My sister is at the Target at NW Expressway & Rockwell right now, she said there were about 500 people in line in front of her. Now they are inside the store and the power went out.

My nephew is with his dad down in Lawton, if he was in town she probably would not be out there but since he isn't, she went shopping.

RadicalModerate
11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
My sister is at the Target at NW Expressway & Rockwell right now, she said there were about 500 people in line in front of her. Now they are inside the store and the power went out.
Perhaps it was the spirits of angry Pilgrims . . .

boscorama
11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Well, same thing goes for other holidays too

You got that right. Thanksgiving, however, for long was the only major holiday that wasn't about buying stuff, aside from food and things related to Thanksgiving itself.

Long ago and far away, I guess.

OKCDrummer77
11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I saw this on another message board. Something to think about when you're out shopping:

Don't be the kind of person about whom people say, when they see you finally leave, "I am so glad I don't live with that jerk!"

RadicalModerate
11-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Every "holiday" needs a song . . .
Remember: You heard this here first (before it begins to be played incessantly in stores and elevators beginning around Halloween or Labor Day).

I'm Dreaming of a Black Thursday
(Radical Moderate, 11/25/12)

(Introduction)
I remember Thanksgivings of childhood
I recall family dinners and time
Together around the old table
With warmth and good feelings sublime.

There were stories about the old pilgrims
And Squanto and Indian guides
There was turkey and taters and stuffing
And football on TV besides . . .

I'm dreaming of a Black Thursday
With phony bargains all around
The day when witches
and sons o' bitches
Crush Walmart greeters to the ground

When discount mayhem will abound
When dad-eyed zombies
and sock-her mom-zies
Line up to make the screams resound

The day that Mammon gets his due
When greedy mobsters
and seedy slobsters
Prove their material lust is true

And when the money counting's through
The grasping masses
and retail asses
Will say Black Wednesday's overdue

RadicalModerate
11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Okay . . . So technically this isn't about Black Thursday . . .
But here's a "Black Friday" carol to the tune of "Let It Snow":

Go Mayhem
(by Radical Moderate 11/28/12)

Well the weather outside's appalling
And the cranky kids are squalling
It's four forty-nine a. m.
Go mayhem, go mayhem, go mayhem.

We're crushing into the entry
And trampling on the sentry
It's Friday at five a. m.

When we finally get inside
And start piling stuff in the cart
Stay out of our way or decide:
Break your arm or rip out your heart.

Well the holiday buys are thrilling
Turn loose or there'll be a killing
It's five twenty-one a. m.

Jon27
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm the opposite. I've always had fun on Black Friday. I'm not a morning person, so going Thursday night was much better this year. We spent all day with our family. We wanted to hit Target and Kohl's for deals on toys for our 3 month old for Christmas and birthday. So while we went shopping, his grandma had a blast spending some alone time with him. My wife and I had a blast like we always do. When we get to play with our son with the toys we got, that'll also be awesome! We probably got 2 times as many toys with the savings as opposed to normal shopping days. I think to each his own. I bet the majority of the people that are working that night are loving the extra money they receive. I'm sure they also spend a lot of times with their families. When I was in high school, I would have to work some Thanksgivings after 4 when I was in fast food. I got triple time, and I spent the entire day before work celebrating with my family. To each his own I guess. My opinion is that we're over reacting a little with this. Don't throw stuff at me, just my opinion, and I respect everyone else's.

RadicalModerate
11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm happy for you, SC7. I have to be. It's $ma$, you know . . .
Radical "The Anti-Scrooge" Moderate

Jon27
12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
It's $ma$, you know . . .

LOL!!! I can't disagree with this.