View Full Version : Flaming Lips frontman brings grenade to Oklahoma City airport; fine expected.

Achilleslastand
11-20-2012, 11:59 PM
The Beatles err i mean the Flaming Lips frontman brings grenade to Oklahoma City airport; fine expected...

Flaming Lips frontman brings grenade to Oklahoma City airport; fine expected | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/flaming-lips-frontman-brings-grenade-to-oklahoma-city-airport-fine-expected/article/3730507)
Coyne, of Oklahoma City, was on a trip to Los Angeles on Nov. 10 when a TSA agent spotted a hand-grenade in his bag at a security checkpoint.

The agent closed the checkpoint and began protocols for dealing with a live bomb. The TSA explosives expert was not on duty at the time but quickly arrived and determined the grenade, painted gold, had been deactivated and posed no threat. According to police reports, Coyne said the grenade, which had a hole in the bottom, was a gift given to him at a party in Arkansas.

The west security checkpoint was closed. While people in line behind Coyne missed flights during the one-hour security delay, most were rebooked and sent on their way.

Neither Coyne nor Flaming Lips manager Scott Booker could be reached for comment.

I guess any publicity is good publicity isnt it.
On the other hand.....
Looks like my faith in the TSA has been restored.

soonerguru
11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
A little surprised they didn't have an explosives person on site. Kinda scary.

Midtowner
11-21-2012, 06:55 AM
They needed an expert to determine a golden grenade with a hole in the bottom wasn't dangerous??

Just the facts
11-21-2012, 07:04 AM
They needed an expert to determine a golden grenade with a hole in the bottom wasn't dangerous??

Yes, because it doesn't show up gold on the x-ray. Would you prefer a non-expert, or someone not even trained in the area, determine that it is no big deal?

RadicalModerate
11-21-2012, 07:05 AM
What better disquise for a terrorist threat--except maybe for a pair of shoes.
Sort of like The Purloined Letter(bomb).

ThomPaine
11-21-2012, 07:12 AM
The Beatles err i mean the Flaming Lips frontman brings grenade to Oklahoma City airport; fine expected...

Flaming Lips frontman brings grenade to Oklahoma City airport; fine expected | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/flaming-lips-frontman-brings-grenade-to-oklahoma-city-airport-fine-expected/article/3730507)
Coyne, of Oklahoma City, was on a trip to Los Angeles on Nov. 10 when a TSA agent spotted a hand-grenade in his bag at a security checkpoint.

The agent closed the checkpoint and began protocols for dealing with a live bomb. The TSA explosives expert was not on duty at the time but quickly arrived and determined the grenade, painted gold, had been deactivated and posed no threat. According to police reports, Coyne said the grenade, which had a hole in the bottom, was a gift given to him at a party in Arkansas.

The west security checkpoint was closed. While people in line behind Coyne missed flights during the one-hour security delay, most were rebooked and sent on their way.

Neither Coyne nor Flaming Lips manager Scott Booker could be reached for comment.

I guess any publicity is good publicity isnt it.
On the other hand.....
Looks like my faith in the TSA has been restored.

I hope you're joking! :) Not too hard to recognize this shape in your magic x-ray machine:

RadicalModerate
11-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I wonder what in the world was going on in Wayne Coyne's mind . . .
Maybe this was supposed to have been filled with water and set to squirt the first person who handled it in the face . . . Like one of those daisys that used to be advertised in the back of comic books. Or maybe it was supposed to vibrate like a "joy buzzer" except the battery was dead.