View Full Version : Golfsmith

Pete
11-13-2012, 08:55 AM
$465,000 building permit to remodel the 32,000 square foot old Ultimate Electronics space to Golfsmith.

Believe this will be their first location in Oklahoma:

Golfsmith — Golf Clubs - Golf Equipment - Golf Bags - Golf Shoes - Golf Balls & Golf Apparel (http://www.golfsmith.com/)

Anonymous.
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Yawn...

MikeLucky
11-13-2012, 09:11 AM
That's a good get... especially to fill something that's been empty for so long....

BoulderSooner
11-13-2012, 09:14 AM
great news ...

onthestrip
11-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Dang, thats some serious golf retail competition up there. This will make 3 golf stores within a quarter mile of each other. Or about a driver and a 3 wood for me :)

kevinpate
11-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Even though it's been decades since I held a club in my hand, I find myself wishing UNP in Norman had three golf shops close together instead of three mattress shops within a freaking 1/2 mile of each other.

Anonymous.
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I was kind of hoping for some type of entertainment establishment to go in. Like go-carts/lasertag/mini golf.

Oh well.

OKCSteel
11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
That would put 4 golf stores within about a mile of each other. Doesn't make much business sense.

LakeEffect
11-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Dang, thats some serious golf retail competition up there. This will make 3 golf stores within a quarter mile of each other. Or about a driver and a 3 wood for me :)

What's made this area such a golf mecca? Golf USA, Golf Galaxy, and Golfsmith? Also, I hear that Dick's has quite the golf section as well.

People in OKC should support Golf USA, in my opinion. Its HQ is OKC. Granted, it's not as fancy of a store as some of the others...

MikeLucky
11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I was kind of hoping for some type of entertainment establishment to go in. Like go-carts/lasertag/mini golf.

Oh well.

Really? lol

kevinpate
11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
How many courses exist within 10-15 miles of the epicenter of these stores? I haven't played any of them but in my admittedly few trips up that way it seems no matter which way I am traveling I end up passing more than one.

GaryOKC6
11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
This actually helps our stats by fillilg up 32000 sf of empty retail space. Those empty big box stores don't make OKC look very good on paper which unfortunately is how we are viewed a lot.

cedbled
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
love this place; I may just get back out there on the green, they really have some reasonable deals

Anonymous.
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Really? lol

Fun man...

mgsports
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Sports Authority has Golf stuff to and so does Wal-mart.

BoulderSooner
11-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Sports Authority has Golf stuff to and so does Wal-mart.

not in the same universe of golfsmith ..

GolfUSA
11-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone. My name is David Webb and I am the manager of the Golf USA here in north OKC. I completely agree with you guys in thinking that 4 golf stores within a drivers length is a little crazy, but I may be biased! I just wanted to say how appreciative we have been of all the support that OKC has given us the last 19 years. We strive to give everyone the best possible customer service we can and I feel that we have the most friendly and knowledgeable staff out of any of the other "big box" stores. While I cannot prevent the corporations from coming into the city, I can promise that we will step our game up even further to stay the number one golf shop in the OKC metro.
I really appreciate your comment cafeboeuf. We are a 100% locally owned and operated franchise based out of the OKC metro. I know that the other corporate stores have a little more of a "wow factor" when walking in them, but I hope everyone who is in the market for anything golf related gives us a fair shot. It is very difficult for us to “out flash” the deeper pockets of the other stores, but we will make sure that more money stays in your pocket and you leave happy!
I can also say that we have some of the best club repair technicians in the entire state. We have taken many classes and are one of only a few stores to earn the name "Performance Fitting Center" by the number one shaft manufacturer in the golf business. We can do almost anything from custom grinds, custom paint fill, and hot melting to offering tour issue exclusive products.
Please stop by and see us. We would love the opportunity to earn your business and keep your money in OKC!

onthestrip
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
We appreciate it GolfUSA. I do what I can to go to your store first. My last set of irons came from you guys and I also dropped way too much money at your big sale from a few months back. Got lots of golf stuff I had been wanting but not looking forward to paying full price, and your sale helped out. I now understand why there were hundreds of people in line with me.

Lafferty Daniel
11-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Hello everyone. My name is David Webb and I am the manager of the Golf USA here in north OKC. I completely agree with you guys in thinking that 4 golf stores within a drivers length is a little crazy, but I may be biased! I just wanted to say how appreciative we have been of all the support that OKC has given us the last 19 years. We strive to give everyone the best possible customer service we can and I feel that we have the most friendly and knowledgeable staff out of any of the other "big box" stores. While I cannot prevent the corporations from coming into the city, I can promise that we will step our game up even further to stay the number one golf shop in the OKC metro.
I really appreciate your comment cafeboeuf. We are a 100% locally owned and operated franchise based out of the OKC metro. I know that the other corporate stores have a little more of a "wow factor" when walking in them, but I hope everyone who is in the market for anything golf related gives us a fair shot. It is very difficult for us to “out flash” the deeper pockets of the other stores, but we will make sure that more money stays in your pocket and you leave happy!
I can also say that we have some of the best club repair technicians in the entire state. We have taken many classes and are one of only a few stores to earn the name "Performance Fitting Center" by the number one shaft manufacturer in the golf business. We can do almost anything from custom grinds, custom paint fill, and hot melting to offering tour issue exclusive products.
Please stop by and see us. We would love the opportunity to earn your business and keep your money in OKC!

Agree with this 100%. Their guys definitely do a wonderful job. Does Mickey still work at the one on Memorial? Great guy.

GolfUSA
11-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the support guys! Yes, Mickey still works here...He does an amazing job for us and we are happy to have a guy like that on our side for sure.
Like I said earlier...we take a lot of pride in what we do and are here to help everyone who walks through our doors. We know that golf products are very personal and will make sure you leave with products both us and you are confident in.

OKCSteel
11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm new to the area. I will have to stop in and check out GolfUSA.

bradh
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
It's crazy competition for sure, but my uncle who owns a grocery chain in Texas said that the best place to put one of his stores his across the street from another store. Don't really get it, but I guess the overflow and proximity is somewhat of a benefit.

catch22
11-20-2012, 05:50 AM
If you eliminate the location factor of your customers, you can then compete on service and price.

For example, if you have a 5 sq. mile catchment area. If only 2 stores are in the market, you place your 2 miles away from the other store. You will lose business based on the other store being closer to half your target market.

If you locate across the street, people will still make the drive so you have the potential to capture more market because you are bringing the entire market to a single area.

bluedogok
11-20-2012, 07:35 AM
It makes sense in stores where you do a lot of comparison shopping. I remember when furniture stores were scattered all over OKC and to comparison shop (not just on price but style) you had to travel all over town. With most of them located close to each other it allows you to visit different stores to find what you like. I think it makes sense in specialty items, in general items like what a Walmart, Target or grocery stores would carry I don't think it has as much of an impact.

GaryOKC6
11-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Look at CVS and Walgreens. You nearly always see on across the street from the other.

OKCSteel
11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
That's what Cain's seems to be doing to Chik-fil-a. They are right next to them in Quail Springs Mall and now they will be right next to them right outside the mall.

Lafferty Daniel
11-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Same strategy with car dealerships.

bluedogok
11-20-2012, 04:42 PM
That is something unique in OKC, in Austin and Denver it isn't as common. In many cases it is developer driven, it was with the developers that we worked with on Walgreen's stores in OKC. I know that from going to a Walgreen's architects meeting at their HQ (and I assume it is the same for CVS and Rite-Aid) that demographics matter the most, more so than a competitor nearby. I think for the developers it makes it an easier sell because there is established traffic in the area. If you think about it most grocery stores, Walmart and Target all have pharmacies, so there literally is competition on almost every corner already.

Drake
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I have thought Golfsmith carried the best selection in clothing. As well as the main line (Nike, Adidas, Footjoy etc) they have their Snake Eyes brand of clothing and accessories. Good looking stuff that is usulayy a little cheaper than bigger brand stuff. That is just a personal opinion.

Also Dick's and Golf Galaxy are owned by the same people. Apologize if that has alredy been mentioned

BoulderSooner
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I have thought Golfsmith carried the best selection in clothing. As well as the main line (Nike, Adidas, Footjoy etc) they have their Snake Eyes brand of clothing and accessories. Good looking stuff that is usulayy a little cheaper than bigger brand stuff. That is just a personal opinion.

Also Dick's and Golf Galaxy are owned by the same people. Apologize if that has alredy been mentioned

i agree ... golfsmith .. is my second favorite golf store ... the only one i like better is Edwindwatts

MonkeesFan
12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Pretty cool but it is too far from me :(

Dustin
12-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I always thought a Sprouts would've done good in that location.

zuluwarrior0760
12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Furniture stores all moving together to feed off each other's cracks me up!

The only thing that happened when all the furniture stores became bedfellows is
the Mattress Brothers incinerated them all with a short range nuclear weapon......

Now all the furniture stores that moved in together are now owned by the Mattress
Brothers, the mattress company is owned by Mattress Brothers......the others
are owned by relatives of the mattress brothers and the ones that aren't owned
by the mattress brothers buy all their inventory from the mattress brothers

:))

Turanacus
12-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Buy Buy Baby ?

mgsports
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Buy Baby to open their a Bed bath and Beyond needs to be in the Shopping Center.

MonkeesFan
01-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Is it open yet?

Richard at Remax
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I didn't really know where to put this since it really doesn't need a new thread. But investors are in the process of finalizing a deal to put a Top Golf type facility somewhere along the memorial corridor, most likely around Penn. No land has been bought yet but they do have concept drawings and should be a full service facility with bar/food/ect. They have been testing the technology out at Oak Tree National and it is just like top golf. I was able to view the plans and they are really cool as well. I see this as a 75% chance of getting green lit I just thought I would share with the board.

onthestrip
06-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I didn't really know where to put this since it really doesn't need a new thread. But investors are in the process of finalizing a deal to put a Top Golf type facility somewhere along the memorial corridor, most likely around Penn. No land has been bought yet but they do have concept drawings and should be a full service facility with bar/food/ect. They have been testing the technology out at Oak Tree National and it is just like top golf. I was able to view the plans and they are really cool as well. I see this as a 75% chance of getting green lit I just thought I would share with the board.

This would be awesome.

Mississippi Blues
06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
This would be awesome.

Awesome indeed.

BoulderSooner
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM

sad that it is not in or close to downtown

Richard at Remax
06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Nah its not sad. Land downtown would almost double the cost to build. Plus along with no one wanting to haul clubs to downtown and back, a lot a other people would complain it was wasted space due to the large footprint it will bring. Plus with the numerous golf stores and actually courses to close proximity of the desired area, it is a no brainer.

MikeLucky
06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
sad that it is not in or close to downtown

Nah its not sad. Land downtown would almost double the cost to build. Plus along with no one wanting to haul clubs to downtown and back, a lot a other people would complain it was wasted space due to the large footprint it will bring. Plus with the numerous golf stores and actually courses to close proximity of the desired area, it is a no brainer.

If boulder was being sarcastic, then well done... if not, then I agree with cook... this facility being downtown would be a horrible idea.

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
I would love for this to be along the Memorial corridor. That would be great for the area! One thing I'd wish they would build is a TRUE Dave and Busters in Bricktown, that could include something like virtual golf.

GoOKC1991
09-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Golfsmith files for bankruptcy, some stores could close.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-golfsmith-filing-for-bankruptcy-means-for-the-future-of-its-stores

Roger S
09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Maybe this means I can get the new driver I want a lot cheaper.