View Full Version : Jessie Jackson Jr? Surely not?!?!?!?!?! ;)

bucktalk
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Jesse Jackson Jr hires lawyer, possible plea deal, resignation: reports - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/jesse-jackson-jr-hires-lawyer-possible-plea-deal-193245743.html)

boscorama
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
That apple didn't fall far from the tree.

RadicalModerate
11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
A chip off the old blockhead . . .
Birdbrains of a feather . . .
Like father like scum . . .

OKCTalker
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
A train wreck with tracks coming from all directions. Substance abuse, mental health issues, misuse of funds, failure to represent his district or resign from his seat, an insistence upon running for re-election, being re-elected by 60%+ of his constituents, and less than one week after he was re-elected, he's negotiating a Chicago politics-style deal that will probably result in a hand-chosen buddy (possibly his wife) ending up with his seat.

Just the facts
11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
A train wreck with tracks coming from all directions. Substance abuse, mental health issues, misuse of funds, failure to represent his district or resign from his seat, an insistence upon running for re-election, being re-elected by 60%+ of his constituents, and less than one week after he was re-elected, he's negotiating a Chicago politics-style deal that will probably result in a hand-chosen buddy (possibly his wife) ending up with his seat.

Embrace it. It is the new American way. All you have to do is promise stuff to people and they will vote for you.

HewenttoJared
11-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Embrace it. It is the new American way. All you have to do is promise stuff to people and they will vote for you.

I would have voted for him. Do you think it's because I want free stuff or maybe is there MONUMENTALLY obvious reason for doing so?

rcjunkie
11-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I would have voted for him. Do you think it's because I want free stuff or maybe is there MONUMENTALLY obvious reason for doing so?

Free Stuff!

boscorama
11-14-2012, 07:30 PM
New euphemism out there: low information voters.

bucktalk
11-14-2012, 07:33 PM
My father in law who was an army vet passed away in 1978. I've often thought how disgusted and shocked he would be at the recent vote in our country as well as the conditions of our politics. I hope we don't see a 'welcome to Rome' sign hanging above the capitol building.....

venture
11-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Just saying "I believe in Faith, Family, and Freedom" with nothing to show for it is enough to get you the Governor's office in Oklahoma. :)

People don't research their candidates, nor hold them to any expectations. Hence why once you get into a seat it isn't too bad to hold on to it. Look at how many in this state voted for the incumbent regardless of their record and the dismal 15% approval rating. Sheep sheep sheep. I'm in the wrong line of business.

zookeeper
11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Just saying "I believe in Faith, Family, and Freedom" with nothing to show for it is enough to get you the Governor's office in Oklahoma. :)

People don't research their candidates, nor hold them to any expectations. Hence why once you get into a seat it isn't too bad to hold on to it. Look at how many in this state voted for the incumbent regardless of their record and the dismal 15% approval rating. Sheep sheep sheep. I'm in the wrong line of business.

Congressman Jackson Jr was under federal investigation and disappeared for a long time before surfacing at a detox in Arizona and then again at the Mayo Clinic. The Democratic leadership had even issued statements that his constituents deserve to know something as they were basically going without representation. He was re-elected and people like hewenttojared says he would have voted for him. Seriously? He was re-elected for his name only.

kelroy55
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Congressman Jackson Jr was under federal investigation and disappeared for a long time before surfacing at a detox in Arizona and then again at the Mayo Clinic. The Democratic leadership had even issued statements that his constituents deserve to know something as they were basically going without representation. He was re-elected and people like hewenttojared says he would have voted for him. Seriously? He was re-elected for his name only.

Lots of politicians are

HewenttoJared
11-15-2012, 07:12 AM
He was re-elected for his name only.

You guys really can't think of a reason?

RadicalModerate
11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Perhaps because the slice off of the old scrote offered a Free Shakedown Cruise?

ThomPaine
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM

John Sullivan was re-elected four times, AFTER his police record became public, and once after he checked into the Betty Ford Clinic for alcoholism. Your point?

PennyQuilts
11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
John Sullivan was re-elected four times, AFTER his police record became public, and once after he checked into the Betty Ford Clinic for alcoholism. Your point?

I don't know the circumstances of Mr. Sullivan but as I understand it, Jr. didn't even campaign, didn't do a lick of work for months, was under investigation for misuse of public funds and was in the Mayo clinic (and had been hospitalized for months in various places). Who in the world could win a seat under those circumstances? I can't even imagine what was going through the voters' minds. What could he possibly offer this district in terms of work or representation. He sounds like an extremely sick man unless this was all a ploy to stay out of jail.

ThomPaine
11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't know the circumstances of Mr. Sullivan but as I understand it, Jr. didn't even campaign, didn't do a lick of work for months, was under investigation for misuse of public funds and was in the Mayo clinic (and had been hospitalized for months in various places). Who in the world could win a seat under those circumstances? I can't even imagine what was going through the voters' minds. What could he possibly offer this district in terms of work or representation. He sounds like an extremely sick man unless this was all a ploy to stay out of jail.

Not saying the folks that re-elected him aren't fools, just pointing out the power of incumbency and stupidity across state and party lines.

Midtowner
11-19-2012, 07:03 AM
"Faith, family, freedom."

kevinpate
11-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Irrespective of whether 'stuff' is food stamps or unwanted ship contracts, when, pray tell, was there ever a politician who wasn't making promises he or she felt folks inclined to vote wanted to hear?