View Full Version : 33rd and Broadway

Charlie40
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Was wondering if anyone knows whats being built in the SE corner of 33rd and Broadway in Edmond. There was a building to Kabuki japanease restaurant that was recently torn down withing the last day or two and wondered what was going in it's place.

Pete
11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
If you mean just to the east, there is a small office building used by a charity (Citizens Caring for Children). The ownership has not recently changed hands.

As it's in Edmond, I can't readily see any demolition or building permits.

Plutonic Panda
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
As it's in Edmond, I can't readily see any demolition or building permits.Edmond doesn't doesn't publicize them?

Pete
11-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Edmond doesn't doesn't publicize them?

They just have their own system.

The City of OKC has a great, on-line system that makes it much easier to do research.

Charlie40
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
No this was a former restaurant on the east side of Broadway at the corner of 33rd street, It was once a Peperoni Grill and most recently was Kubuki the sign is still up by the road but the building is a pile of rubble. Hope that helps describe it better

OklahomaNick
11-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Permit for demolition, but no plans yet for the property.
Strange..

Kabuki had a $800,000 renovation permit just 4 years ago!
Someone took a bath on that.

jbkrems
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Kabuki was a terrible restaurant as was Portobellos its predecessor, and Pepperoni Grill before that, as well. The restaurant location was basically "cursed," if you ask me. Good thing they demolish it and start over with hopefully better parking and more profitable business establishment.

Pete
11-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Trying to remember the restaurant that was before Pepperoni Grill... Was there in the mid-80's and lasted a couple of years. Seafood, broad menu and totally forgettable.

It didn't last long either.

You are right, that old building is cursed.

CuatrodeMayo
11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I believe it was a Cocino de Mino for awhile.

ChaseDweller
11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
That building was originally a Westoaks restaurant and drive-in. I remember going there as a kid in the 1970s. Retro Metro posted some of their commercials on youtube.

Westoaks Restaurant - YouTube (http://youtu.be/hjdGzYfcB2c)

Here's a review from the 1980s in the OKlahoman:

Diners won't regret a trip to Edmond's Westoaks | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/diners-wont-regret-a-trip-to-edmonds-westoaks/article/1991915#axzz2CJJKtGzL)

As I recall, the burgers weren't bad.

OklahomaNick
11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
I also believe this building was an El Chico in the 90's before they built a free standing building (which is now Rib Crib) north on Broadway in the Academy (Then Venture or K-Mart) parking lot.

Whoa.. that was a lot of old Edmond name dropping!

Anonymous.
11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
That RibCrib is awesome. I don't understand why I hardly ever see anyone there. Althought it is a chain, it is still solid BBQ and the price is right on track.

hipsterdoofus
11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't remember el chico - maybe it was. I remember cocino de mino, pepperoni grill, and portobello's. I actually enjoyed portobello's as a lower cost italian place in Edmond, but thought it was foolish that just as they got a little successful, they moved to that spot to die (they were at the old grandy's location prior).

Hollywood
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
That RibCrib is awesome. I don't understand why I hardly ever see anyone there. Althought it is a chain, it is still solid BBQ and the price is right on track.

I can't make the decision to pull into Rib Crib when Earl's is just to the north!