View Full Version : Fence Repair

soonerwatcher
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
A friend and I have been doing side work of replacing broken fence post. We are a big help to the do it yourself crowd because we come in and quickly remove the fence post and concrete plug. This leaves a perfect hole to drop in your new post and concrete. We also do the replacement as well if requested.

My question is, how do we get this service out there, in the metro area, without an advertisement budget? So far it has been word of mouth. We have saved people hours of hard work and hundreds of dollars but we are not sure how to spread the word.

BBatesokc
11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
I'd put myself in your potential customer's position and instead ask..... "How do my customers seek out my type of service when needed?"

Most likely they either do it themselves, look on Craigslist, look on Angieslist, ask a friend/neighbor, do a Google search or possibly even open a phone book (I haven't held on to one of those though in years).

So, I'd post a Craigslist ad (with photos) and then repost it say every two weeks, get on AngiesList and have a REAL former customer or two review you (if they are members) and I'd definitely get an Internet presence. You can have a site up and running in a day for $0 - $100. Your Craigslist, Angieslist and any other promotions (fliers, business cards, etc.) should all invite people to visit your site and see photos of your work and REAL testimonials. Also, consider what you're going to do about being insured/bonded - some people don't care, and others insist on it.

You can have someone (or yourself) spend an afternoon or two putting small fliers on doors (need a permit) and see if that generates any leads. We've used a lawn guy and a handyman from fliers that were done right (looked good, had a website, were insured). Probably best to target an area after a storm, etc. But you will also be competing with all the other service providers too and that can annoy people. Depending on your margins though, this could be a lot of effort for little return.

Some home improvement type places let you put a business card on a board - not sure how well that works though. I've seen the boards, but never called anyone from them.

macfoucin
11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
There are some inexpensive local classified ads you might consider; the electric company OEC has a local paper where the classified adds are just 25 cents a word (Classified Ads - Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, Inc. (http://www.okcoop.org/community/ads.aspx)). You might also consider creating a Facebook page for your business to generate local leads.