View Full Version : Employer Social Media Policies

OKCTalker
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I just read about a young employee who posted a negative message about her employer on Facebook, it was discovered by management, and she was called on the carpet for it and given a warning (apparently they didn't have a policy). Instead of seeing the bigger picture and learning a valuable lesson about tact and discretion, the employee wrote a long, rambling, accusatory letter to her boss which concluded with her resignation, and then she (wait for it) posted it on Facebook. She'll certainly have a difficult time getting another job, and may even end up in a lawsuit, but it points to the need for employers to have social media policies.

So - does your place have such a policy, and if so, what does it say?

RadicalModerate
11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
It is an unwritten policy . . . I mean rule . . . No . . . Make that "guideline" . . .
That goes something like this:

We don't employ stupid, whining malcontents who vent in public.

You pretty much have to violate all four of the conditions simultaneously to suffer consequences.

HewenttoJared
11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
At-will employment means everyone has social media policies whenever they want to.

RadicalModerate
11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
At-will employment means everyone has social media policies whenever they want to.

Bingo.

!Viva La Raza!
no . . .
!Viva La Raises!
no . . .
'Viva Los Retailoros Mejores (de productos de Chine)!
=)

It's a big, wide wonderful New World Order. =)
(p.s.: Obama bought all of the advertising time on back to back to back episodes of The Mentalist. =)

windowphobe
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
We have no formal policy where I work. I have a long-standing personal rule: work friends and Facebook friends will not at any time intersect. (Several coworkers are on FB, but not on my friend list.) My boss follows my Twitter feed for some reason. I don't think anyone else at the shop is on Twitter.

OKCisOK4me
11-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Just don't vent about work issues on social media...plain and simple. My work friends are my regular friends because its such a small company and I've worked there a long time. Kinda hard to separate regular friends from work friends and especially in OKC if you're the type of person that knows everyone as it is. Best not to vent. There are other ways to air your laundry...

WilliamTell
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Only venting i do is in person so i can deign it if need be.

Easy180
11-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Play it way safe on FB but my company's policy is pretty much ranting is ok as long as your posts don't make it seem you are speaking on behalf of the company or disclosing confidential info

HewenttoJared
11-02-2012, 06:02 AM
I just don't vent. ;)

kevinpate
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I just don't vent. ;)

And we thank you for doing your part on reducing global warming.
:wink:

RadicalModerate
11-02-2012, 11:33 AM
And we thank you for doing your part on reducing global warming.
:wink:

LMFAO . . . (another form of venting, btw.)

Stew
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Employers need to grow a thicker skin.

I applaud the young lady for resigning. Who wants to work for somebody who gets thier panties in a wad over a Facebook posting. I'm glad she took the bold step of not enabling such prickish behavior. Therein lies the lesson for the working class.

windowphobe
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Best not to vent.

I've had a Web column of sorts called The Vent since 1996. And boy, is it ... venty.

Just the facts
11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Employers need to grow a thicker skin.

I do occasional work for a company that has no sense of humor. They are darn near gestapo in protecting their corporate image and demand total 100% obedience from their employees (and receive it). But they don't think twice about laying off people and if an employee buys the wrong product, eats at the wrong place, stays in the wrong hotel, or makes the wrong comment they will fire the employee in a second.

kevinpate
11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I do occasional work for a company that has no sense of humor. They are darn near gestapo in protecting their corporate image and demand total 100% obedience from their employees (and receive it). But they don't think twice about laying off people and if an employee buys the wrong product, eats at the wrong place, stays in the wrong hotel, or makes the wrong comment they will fire the employee in a second.

just curious, were they once a bit fanatical about perfect harmony?

HewenttoJared
11-04-2012, 07:03 AM
I've fired people over Facebook comments, but never for just venting. It was usually venting about individual clients by name...after multiple warnings.

bandnerd
11-04-2012, 07:48 AM
No written, formal policy, but we were told at one point not to have current students on our FB accounts. Co-workers are fine. I never vent about work on social media. In fact, I make sure to instead say all the GOOD things about my job and brag about it ;) I also never post pictures of me drinking, nor do I mention it, or anything about parties or going out. I also typically don't post much politically-charged or religious stuff, either. Just in case.

I have seen others complain, though. Some have done it several times. I shake my head at them.

I know some teachers make the rule to never friend graduated students on FB. I do, but only certain ones who I would like to keep in contact with, either to encourage them through their college years, for alumni matters, or to have them come back to visit the school for certain reasons.

HewenttoJared
11-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Yea I would never have a student on my Facebook. Or most co-workers.

mugofbeer
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
My company has a formal policy but in my industry we are also regulated as to what can be on the site and what MUST be on the site. The company monitoring would make it highly inadvisable to say negative things about the company, however. You also cannot say things holding yourself out as a representative of the company or the industry. The company bans the sites from the company internet and also makes it very clear that anything said using the company computer is company property and is recorded.