View Full Version : HMS Bounty Replica Sunk

HewenttoJared
10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Oops
2 missing as Hurricane Sandy sinks HMS Bounty - Nova Scotia - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/29/ns-hms-bounty-hurricane-sandy.html?cmp=googleeditorspick)

The replica of HMS Bounty, which launched in Lunenburg in 1960, was made famous in a 1962 movie starring Marlon Brando — Mutiny on the Bounty. It has also appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest starring Johnny Depp.

ThomPaine
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Looks like there was an Oklahoman on the crew. Hope she's okay.

RadicalModerate
10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I hope she is okay too--as well as the other missing crewmember(s) . . .
Still, I just have to ask: How did the captain of the vessel get to be a "captain"?

It's not as if I have a vast amount of experience with sailing on the high seas (in fact, zero experience) but I did see "The Perfect Storm" and have to wonder what could possibly have possessed someone to attempt to sail a ship like this (or any other) into, through or around an approaching hurricane that has been in the news for weeks.

Consider for a moment the safety of all the rescue crews that have been dispatched to deal with this anomaly in judgment . . .
This isn't "second-guessing" . . . It's more along the line of WTF????

Achilleslastand
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Im quite sure Trevor Howard and Mr Christian could have saved her.

RadicalModerate
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
If it turns out that there was a film crew from The Weather Channel or National Geographic or The History Channel on board to record this event for posterity, I would imagine there will be hell to pay.

RadicalModerate
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
ZlV3oQ3pLA0

HewenttoJared
10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I hope she is okay too--as well as the other missing crewmember(s) . . .
Still, I just have to ask: How did the captain of the vessel get to be a "captain"?

It's not as if I have a vast amount of experience with sailing on the high seas (in fact, zero experience) but I did see "The Perfect Storm" and have to wonder what could possibly have possessed someone to attempt to sail a ship like this (or any other) into, through or around an approaching hurricane that has been in the news for weeks.

Consider for a moment the safety of all the rescue crews that have been dispatched to deal with this anomaly in judgment . . .
This isn't "second-guessing" . . . It's more along the line of WTF????

I wondered the same. Perhaps they didn't think it would survive in harbor and every mile south seemed more safe.

ThomPaine
10-29-2012, 02:17 PM
It is a privately owned "tall ship" TallShipBounty.org (http://www.tallshipbounty.org/) I would assume the captain okayed sailing her with the owner. As for the Coast Guard being called out, I'm not sure how that gets paid for other than our tax dollars, but I would hazard a guess that most of their distress calls are due to "questionable judgment" by an operator, even in calm seas.

I know that climbers/hikers pay fees to use certain parks, that pay for your rescue if you screw up. If you don't properly pay in advance, they can charge you the cost of your rescue when you screw up.

PennyQuilts
10-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Last I heard, they rescued all but the Captain and one of the crew members. Then, they rescued the crew member several hours later but she wasn't responsive. Haven't heard anything else about the captain. Not sure this story has any more information that the original link.

UPDATE 3-Crew rescued from HMS Bounty as hurricane rages; captain missing | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/storm-sandy-bounty-idUSL1E8LT1Q320121030)

RadicalModerate
10-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Hidden deep
Within The Annals
o' Maritime Justice
Involving all
o' the Vagaries
o' The Sea
(and so forth) . . .

There simply
has to be
An Implied Contract