View Full Version : Norman City Council Member in favor of bullying?

ljbab728
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Norman councilman votes against anti-bullying proclamation | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/norman-councilman-votes-against-anti-bullying-proclamation/article/3722001)

I hope he has a good explanation for this.

kevinpate
10-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Norman councilman votes against anti-bullying proclamation | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/norman-councilman-votes-against-anti-bullying-proclamation/article/3722001)

In his mind I imagine the no vote makes perfect sense. What was that line from Lion King ... there's one in every family, two in mine actually.

Snowman
10-25-2012, 07:28 AM

I doubt if they failed to proclaim October National Bullying Prevention Month it would really have much of an effect on anything. Come to think of it, they voted on the 23rd of October, shouldn't this have been voted on last month?

venture
10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
http://ci.norman.ok.us/sites/default/files/City_Council/images/Councilmember-Spaulding-120.jpg

Dave Spaulding seems to be the one bad apple in the bunch. His interests apparently are more rooted in the Rural Eastern half of Norman, even though he still represents several neighborhoods towards Central Norman. He was found to be in charge of a partisan group that attacked a candidate for council in NW Norman by unveiling political ideologies, which is strictly forbidden in Norman politics. He claimed no responsibility but then remained quiet. He also tends to vote against anything to do with equality in the city. I'm not sure, but I think he has allegiance to the Tea Party and bases a lot of his actions off of that. Then take the news a couple days ago...

No high density yet » Headlines » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1133189977/No-high-density-yet)

In other city business, council member Dave Spaulding opposed some volunteer appointments by the mayor. Norman has a long tradition of not disparaging volunteers who serve on city boards and commissions.The appointments are placed on the consent agenda and approved by consensus without discussion or debate over any individual’s character or qualification.

“I have been asked by members of this council to remove all of these appointments,” Mayor Cindy Rosenthal said of the appointments to the Human Rights Commission. “I have been asked to remove the only Native American member of this commission. I have been asked to remove the only Hispanic member of the human rights commission.”

Council members Roger Gallagher and Dave Spaulding had asked for removal of the Human Rights Commission nominees. Rosenthal removed all of the appointments proposed for the Human Rights Commission and the council approved the other appointments.

Spaulding also voted against a proclamation making the month of October National Bullying Awareness Month and was the sole “no” vote against granting special use of a bar for Opolis at 113 N. Crawford Ave. in downtown Norman.

In addition, Spaulding was the lone “no” vote on a resolution to approve and authorize an interest-free loan from Republic Bank to finance parking meters for the downtown parking lot on Gray Street between Crawford and Peters avenues.

Really don't know what this guys deal is except to vote no on everything. I feel sorry for those in Ward 5 that have to deal with him. However, this is probably setting up a pretty good opportunity for someone to come in and beat him in the next election.

Looking at this previous election website, http://votedavespaulding.com/, he is definitely not shy about political leanings...

Conservative Family Values!
Pro Business!
Pro Growth!

I'm sorry. If i'm looking for a candidate, then I would hope points 2 and 3 would be well ahead of any social agenda. Judging Spaulding's behavior so far does seem to back up that conservative social issues is more important than anything. Doing a Google Search on him also found that he was one of the main speakers (with his wife) that spoke out against Norman's LGBT history month last October. The one meeting with the 19-year old kid took his life because he felt so hated after the things that were said at that meeting.

“What gives the gays the special treatment to have a month named for them? And why is the city council even addressing the issue?” That’s how Dave kicked off his tirade against your “special” rights, promising to use his power to unseat any councilmembers who supported the measure. “Do they want equality, or do they want to be placed on a podium? Make up your mind.”

“There is still a disservice to our community and our children if we allow this proclomation pass. Equal rights for all, special rights for none,” says Eve. “There are not heterosexual history months or straight marriage months. Therefore the organizations referenced in this proclamation specifically state that it is their request to be treated equally, and equally is not proclaiming a month to celebrate their history.”

Eeesh.

jedicurt
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
i dont' take him voting no as being him in support of bullying, but against a city spending time making proclamations that don't actually do anything

ljbab728
10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
i dont' take him voting no as being him in support of bullying, but against a city spending time making proclamations that don't actually do anything

That's certainly possible but he hasn't given any explanations yet. Based on some of his past votes as shown above, I would still think his motives have to be in question.

Spartan
10-25-2012, 10:01 PM
He looks gay in his photo, or at least like he spends a lot of time in the tanning bed getting orange.

ljbab728
10-25-2012, 10:04 PM
He looks gay in his photo, or at least like he spends a lot of time in the tanning bed getting orange.

Spartan, that's a very strange comment for you to make. I've never heard that having a tan was gay and, even it was, it would be very irrelevant to this topic.

Spartan
10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Spartan, that's a very strange comment for you to make. I've never heard that having a tan was gay and, even it was, it would be very irrelevant to this topic.

I think it's relevant. Homophobes and bullies are usually pretty insecure people.

ljbab728
10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I think it's relevant. Homophobes and bullies are usually pretty insecure people.

But you weren't saying he was a homophobe. You were saying he looks gay.

ljbab728
10-26-2012, 12:12 AM
OK, here is his explanation.

Norman councilman explains anti-bullying vote | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/norman-councilman-explains-anti-bullying-vote/article/3722355)

He would have been better off to not give an explanation. He's just proving that he is an idiot. How did a city like Norman ever elect someone like that. I'm almost ashamed to say that it's my hometown.

venture
10-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Geez. This guy just needs to go. He is overly obsessed with the "gay agenda" since he ran for council. Which I guess plays well in most of his ward:

http://ci.norman.ok.us/sites/default/files/WebFM/Norman/Mayor%20and%20City%20Council/ward%205%20WebMap%20Large.pdf

HangryHippo
10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

What in the hell are you talking about? And what would this have to do with anything?

kevinpate
10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Some commenter at newok.com referred to the councilman as a Teabilly.
I think that's the first time I've run across that particular nick/insult/jab.

iMAX386
10-27-2012, 03:30 AM
So when is this guys term over? There needs to be a massive movement to get this guy off the council even from those outside his district.

venture
10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
So when is this guys term over? There needs to be a massive movement to get this guy off the council even from those outside his district.

From the Norman website: Current Term Ends: 07/03/13

Questor
10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't understand the dude's rant. I'm sure gays would be glad to give up their history month in return for marriage rights, inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, family health care rights, and on and on and on. You know, equality.

Oh well I'm sure this guy is representing his ward the way they want him to. Lots of good old boys over by the lake.

venture
10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't understand the dude's rant. I'm sure gays would be glad to give up their history month in return for marriage rights, inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, family health care rights, and on and on and on. You know, equality.

Oh well I'm sure this guy is representing his ward the way they want him to. Lots of good old boys over by the lake.

The sad thing is, his Ward also includes part of the more urban/suburban areas of Southeast Norman around the new school by 24th SE. Though I have a feeling they are outnumbered by the backwoods people out by Dirtybird. If I remember correctly, he lives out around 106th or further east than that. So yeah, he definitely doesn't really have any interest in those that aren't in rural areas. Might be hard to get rid of him without redrawing the Wards.

LocoAko
10-30-2012, 11:07 PM
As a gay man who recently moved to Norman I find this all very troubling. I already had my reservations about OK in this subject area coming from the East Coast but Norman so far has seemed like a nice little progressive bubble. I didn't realize there was such a contrast between the town and east Norman - obviously out by the Lake is more rural, but it is still Norman, after all. Is it that drastic a culture change? I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far of Norman in this area... haven't had a single incident or comment yet. I remember seeing videos of the town hall meeting after which that poor young man took his life and was kind of shocked to hear some of the comments from the residents, though I haven't heard any of that in-person. Is it just an undercurrent that is unspoken here unless asked about? Sorry for the rambling... stream of consciousness, etc. :)

kevinpate
10-30-2012, 11:18 PM
fwiw, rural east Norman has no monopoly on attitudes that would be discomforting to members and supporters of the gay community. Every segment of the community has folks with diverse views on many topics, including this one.

venture
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
As a gay man who recently moved to Norman I find this all very troubling. I already had my reservations about OK in this subject area coming from the East Coast but Norman so far has seemed like a nice little progressive bubble. I didn't realize there was such a contrast between the town and east Norman - obviously out by the Lake is more rural, but it is still Norman, after all. Is it that drastic a culture change? I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far of Norman in this area... haven't had a single incident or comment yet. I remember seeing videos of the town hall meeting after which that poor young man took his life and was kind of shocked to hear some of the comments from the residents, though I haven't heard any of that in-person. Is it just an undercurrent that is unspoken here unless asked about? Sorry for the rambling... stream of consciousness, etc. :)

I wouldn't worry too much. Norman is probably the more progressive city in the state. As far as East Norman goes, you don't get into the rural parts of until you get past East 36th. Now this is still Oklahoma and the South, so its not going to be as accepting as the coasts or more progressive/moderate states. As the state grows and more out of town people move in it will eventually change and evolve.

Welcome to Norman!

iMAX386
11-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Grew up in Norman and never got the impressions that this rogue council member is espousing from the majority of the population there. Even most the conservatives I know there have a progressive view on homosexuality. Of course that's only more true around campus, which is both pretty politically and culturally liberal compared to the rest of the city and state.

Like has been said past E. 36th it gets more rural, and I'm sure more culturally conservative, but most people in Norman consider that area not a true representation of Norman. That's just Lake Thunderbird (dirtybird) and its kin.

gamecock
11-01-2012, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. Norman is probably the more progressive city in the state. As far as East Norman goes, you don't get into the rural parts of until you get past East 36th. Now this is still Oklahoma and the South, so its not going to be as accepting as the coasts or more progressive/moderate states. As the state grows and more out of town people move in it will eventually change and evolve.

Welcome to Norman!

As a former east coaster who lives on the East side of Norman (before 36th), I agree that you shouldn't be worried.

Welcome to Oklahoma and Welcome to Norman!

soonerguru
11-26-2012, 11:00 AM

All councils vote on stuff like this all the time. It doesn't take much time to vote yea or nay. He's making it a big deal with his "no" vote for special attention. He just hates the fact he reps a progressive community. He should probably move to Moore or Little Axe.

venture
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
All councils vote on stuff like this all the time. It doesn't take much time to vote yea or nay. He's making it a big deal with his "no" vote for special attention. He just hates the fact he reps a progressive community. He should probably move to Moore or Little Axe.

Easy solution to this is redraw the Ward districts to split the Eastern rural half of Norman. Still keep Ward 5, gut make it less reliant on the eastern sections. I would rather see wards (congressional districts and such) all balanced out instead of lopsided to one part of the political spectrum.

kevinpate
11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
.. I would rather see wards (congressional districts and such) all balanced out instead of lopsided to one part of the political spectrum.

Which is precisely why those who decide such matters prefer folks who think like you do be off fishing, dancing, bird watchin' ... anywhere but in the same room as the line drawing folks. Even for non-partisan slots, the line drawing can and will more often than not be quite partisan in nature.
;)