View Full Version : Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Pages : [1] 2

JohnH_in_OKC
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
As part of NewsOK.com's tribute to Ray Ackerman, in an interview Steve Lackmeyer, Mr. Ackerman at the conclusion made a wish for Oklahoma City to nickname itself "The Big Friendly". I hope we do this. In conjunction, I suggest we rename our proposed Oklahoma City Boulevard to "The BIG FRIENDLY Boulevard". Also, our new central park might be called "The Big Friendly Park".

Here's the link to Steve's interview: Businessman, civic leader Ray Ackerman dies | NewsOK Videos (http://newsok.com/businessman-civic-leader-ray-ackerman-dies/multimedia/video/1907246284001)

http://www.newsok.com/businessman-civic-leader-ray-ackerman-dies/multimedia/video/1907246284001

What is your opinion?

metro
10-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh please no

UnFrSaKn
10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh please no

Well that settles it then.

reverend
10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Why not Ray Ackerman Boulevard?

Bellaboo
10-22-2012, 09:20 AM
The Big Friendly just doesn't seem quit right.. Just my opinion though.

Pete
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
"The Big Friendly" has been floating around for a while but has never gotten any traction.

I think the general consensus was that most people found it lame (with no offense to The Admiral, who was an amazing man).

HangryHippo
10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Ackerman Boulevard or Ackerman Park or something honoring the man, but anything with "the Big Friendly" gets a resounding no from me.

OKCisOK4me
10-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Pardon my ignorance but who was this Ray Ackerman? I 120% agree with metro.

Bellaboo
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Pardon my ignorance but who was this Ray Ackerman? I 120% agree with metro.

See post #1.

OKCisOK4me
10-22-2012, 09:34 AM
See post #1.

Its Monday..thanks lol

Rover
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Ray is the one who renamed the river the Oklahoma River. Where do you think the idea came from to name the boulevard the Oklahoma City Boulevard? I guess if you are truly wanting to honor him then we accept the name...as bland as it is.

CaptDave
10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I think Ackerman Boulevard would be appropriate. "Big Friendly Blvd" gets a "Please no" from me though. That is possibly the most contrived name of all those suggested yet.

OKCisOK4me
10-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't even know what to call the term Big Friendly without hurting someone's feelings. Such a horrible name, I don't know how anyone could come up with that concept. Considering lots of our streets are named after civic grandfathers or sports guys, I think a last name is more appropriate than a nickname!

reverend
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
"Big Friendly" would sound pretty weird over police scanners...

SoonerDave
10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Uhmm....with all due respect to the late Mr. Ackerman, no.

I can't help escaping the notion that we'd immediately starting seeing BBates regularly taping at any street named "Big Friendly." :o

HangryHippo
10-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Sid, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure if it's because I think Oklahoma City has been devoid of respect from outsiders for far too long or if it's a personal inferiority complex or something else entirely, but I think the name of the boulevard should be a little more stately and/or eloquent. I just don't feel like Oklahoma City has reached a point where we should consider goofiness in the naming of what is hopefully an iconic boulevard. While I do agree that no city should ever take themselves so seriously that they miss out on the opportunity to have something unique, I don't think the boulevard is the place for such goofiness at this time (i.e. go left at the Eiffel Tower on Big Friendly Blvd just doesn't work for me).

Jake
10-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Respectfully, no.

The Big Friendly Boulevard sounds like a show on Nick Jr.

OKCisOK4me
10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
It is no wonder that some of the best places to live in the world are cities always are willing to tinker and never take themselves too seriously.

Exhibit B:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/22/1350894488057/bouncybridge1.jpg

Trampoline bridge could let you bounce across the Seine | Art and design | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2012/oct/22/trampoline-bridge-bounce-river-seine-paris)

Lemme guess, this bridge must be called "Big Flagellum"...

Spartan
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
The big friendly flagellum..

Thundercitizen
10-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Big Friendly will make people smile. Just saying it in the context of giving someone directions will cause everyone to smirk or smile. And maybe that was Ray's idea all along?
Sid,

I understand, I think, the angle you're approaching this with and I agree. Look at how ridiculous some mascots, NBA uniforms, or other representative things seemed initially. They (some of them) caught on and became more than just a historical reference or vanilla symbol. They stood out from the norm and became something special to a lot of people. The Big Easy...the big easy what? Sounds silly, but it works. Friendliness IS something that sets OKC apart from a lot of metros.

I'm not altogether sure about "The Big Friendly", but it may well work. The parallel to "The Big Easy" tag might be too transparent, though.

ljbab728
10-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Keep in mind that a city doesn't have to have just one moniker. New Orleans is the "Big Easy", the "Crescent City", and the "City that Care Forgot". If some people like the "Big Friendly" it's OK even if it doesn't appeal to everyone. With that said, I think renaming the boulevard "The Big Friendly Boulevard" sounds a little affected. It just doesn't sound right. If we had a long history with that connotation I might feel differently.

Thundercitizen
10-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks. "Big" certainly isn't claimed by anyone. Big Ben, Big Easy, Big Apple, Big Dipper, Big Bang.... :)

True, it's really not a..........Big Deal.

soonerguru
10-23-2012, 01:43 AM
As part of NewsOK.com's tribute to Ray Ackerman, in an interview Steve Lackmeyer, Mr. Ackerman at the conclusion made a wish for Oklahoma City to nickname itself "The Big Friendly". I hope we do this. In conjunction, I suggest we rename our proposed Oklahoma City Boulevard to "The BIG FRIENDLY Boulevard". Also, our new central park might be called "The Big Friendly Park".

Here's the link to Steve's interview: Businessman, civic leader Ray Ackerman dies | NewsOK Videos (http://newsok.com/businessman-civic-leader-ray-ackerman-dies/multimedia/video/1907246284001)

http://www.newsok.com/businessman-civic-leader-ray-ackerman-dies/multimedia/video/1907246284001

What is your opinion?

When I first read this, I honestly thought it was snark. I was about to admonish you for picking on Ray for his terrible ideas.

This is actually the worst idea I've heard in a long time. NO. NO EFFING WAY. Please, let it go. Ray did much for our city -- and he was empowered to rename our river. Let's stop there.

JohnH_in_OKC
10-23-2012, 02:52 AM
It looks like most everybody thinks "The Big Friendly Boulevard" doesn't work. I just think The Big Friendly Boulevard is so quirky, no one will ever forget it.

One of the world's greatest boulevards is Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Translated it means "The Prominade". The new boulevard is likely to be Oklahoma City's signature street (overtaking Classen, Broadway, Memorial, May Ave, and Shields).

Oklahoma City Boulevard is a dignified name & is the choice of the Oklahoma City Council and the OKC Chamber of Commerce and many of the public. I even think it's a good name. But it's a banal name in my opinion.

A little less quirky, but in the theme of Las Ramblas, we might name our boulevard "The Friendly".

Any more opinions or other memorable alternate names for our new boulevard?

Bellaboo
10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
How about 'Thunder Road'.

Spartan
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
How about... OKC

I'll just go ahead and take credit for that one now.

catch22
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think Big Friendly works for our Blvd.

However maybe a district name or future point of interest. Kind of like the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. The Friendly.

1972ford
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I think it should be called tornado alley big friendly is just a little weird

hoya
10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Nothing involving Friendly. That's lame. Not only is it lame, it's an in-joke that most people won't get. There are maybe a few hundred people in the world who will know why it is named that. And no, it won't inspire people to research the name and figure out why someone would pick it. They will just think it is lame. You could pick a weird star trek reference and at least a few million people would understand what it meant. This? Many people on this forum don't even get it.

Praedura
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
You could pick a weird star trek reference and at least a few million people would understand what it meant...

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."
:wink:

Spartan
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
This?

Yeah, this thread is one of the worst ideas to ever come out of this forum lol

bchris02
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I think Oklahoma City Blvd or Thunder Blvd would be good choices. "Big Friendly" is corny and lame. If OKC had a history with the slogan or had a better national image then it might work, but OKC isn't in a position now where it could pull something like that.

Bellaboo
10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
It looks like most everybody thinks "The Big Friendly Boulevard" doesn't work. I just think The Big Friendly Boulevard is so quirky, no one will ever forget it.

A little less quirky, but in the theme of Las Ramblas, we might name our boulevard "The Friendly".

Any more opinions or other memorable alternate names for our new boulevard?

I was trying to be nice earlier when I said I didn't think it works, but to be honest, anything with 'Friendly' sucks.

I kind of liked the 'OKC' Spartan had.

Dubya61
10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
you know what came to mind (and was SICK AND WRONG) would be to offer it up for naming rights and let the "purchaser" paint their logo big and bright as day all over it!

Bellaboo
10-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Again, I'd like to ask the question. What is kind of goofy or catchy that we should/could latch on to as a community?

(please don't say energy anything)

How about a take off from the skydance bridge and call is 'Scissortail Blvd'...? or 'Flycatcher', no one would forget that one. lol

Skyline
10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Along with the state themed names, someone in the past mentioned "Rose Rock Avenue".

JohnH_in_OKC
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I forgot that Thunder Road (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Road_(disambiguation)) was a popular alternative name for the OKC Boulevard. I like it better than any of my Ray Ackerman road name suggestions (The Big Friendly) or Oklahoma City Boulevard. It's apropos since our boulevard runs directly in front of Chesapeake Energy Arena.

But we have to convince Mayor Cornett, the city manager & the city council & I believe they've all already approved Oklahoma City Blvd. Maybe the owners of the Thunder will push the City Council to adopt the "Thunder Road" name. I hope the new boulevard will have a large tree-lined sidewalk in the center median like Boston Commonwealth Ave. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Avenue,_Boston) or Barcelona's Las Ramblas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rambla,_Barcelona).

I suggest that the sidewalk in the center median be embedded with bronze plaques commemorating famous Oklahomans. The sidewalk might be dubbed "the Oklahoma Walk of Fame". This will encourage people to walk the length of the Boulevard, like people do on Los Angeles's Hollywood Blvd (Hollywood Walk of Fame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame)), to check out all the famous names.

Here's a link to a fun-loving video condensing the 1958 Robert Mitchum movie named Thunder Road: Thunder Road Song & Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdwUpxkfSJw)

Any additional comments?

hoya
10-23-2012, 08:46 PM
The Big Apple has been associated with New York for forever. The Big Friendly has been associated with OKC since never. I could ask a thousand people in OKC where the Big Apple is an virtually every one of them will say New York. I could ask a thousand people in OKC where the Big Friendly is and none of them will say here. It's not a nickname. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where George decided he wanted to be called T-Bone. Except no one had ever called him T-Bone. Except T-Bone is kinda cool, so the analogy would be better if he tried to get everyone to call him Elroy McSissypants The Big Friendly is not our nickname. It's something a guy thought should be our nickname that never ever caught on except for like 6 people on this website. You sound like Berry Tramel trying to get people to call the Thunder the Boomers.

As far as a name? Well, all kinds of crap is already named after Will Rogers. We need a famous Oklahoma Citian that doesn't already have something named after him. That'll be hard.

You really want to piss people off? Do something daring and controversial, while honoring someone with a very strong connection to our state?

John Steinbeck Blvd

Thundercitizen
10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Sounds like a little road rage on Big Friendly Boulevard.;)

CuatrodeMayo
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Skyline Drive
Or a nod to a classic Oklahoma street name, Division.

Or better yet, California Ave/SW 3rd St. =)

hoya
10-23-2012, 11:20 PM
First, you know I am just keeping this up because this is an internet forum...

Second, the Big Apple was started by a couple of laymen (journalists). It is a little bit besides the point to say that everyone doesn't know our 'catch phrase' at the moment you are trying to create one. Obviously, I'm thinking that we should think about what we want to be when we grow up if you will. It would take time, lots of time. Which was also the point I made earlier about other projects that people ridiculed but eventually become iconic.

Anyway, I think it's worth the dare. Completely understand if others don't.

I don't really want Big Friendly to become associated with my city. :D

We've got Indians, weather, oil, buffalo, cowboy stuff, red dirt...

Hey, what if we called it Red Earth Blvd and had a bunch of Indian themed public art in the median and on the sides? Like sidewalks that had Indian markings and arrows and feathers engraved into them? Color the sidewalks so it looks like sandstone and there you go. I'm not aware of anywhere else in the world that has a street like that.

Teo9969
10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Land Run Avenue

The Lane (So people can say they drove "The Lane" to a Thunder game...)

...Thunder Alley

...OKC Boulevard (OKC not Oklahoma City)

All of these are horrible ideas compared to what CuatrodeMayo offered up. Let's stick with SW 3rd/California

Teo9969
10-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Actually...all the more reason to have the grand Roundabout that was drawn up when FBB first started. We'll call it Ackerman Boulevard, and instead of calling it Market Circle, we'll call it "The Big Friendly"

And there will be a Build-a-Bear shop

Praedura
10-24-2012, 12:01 AM
I think we should call it Smuckers.

With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good!

bchris02
10-24-2012, 10:18 AM
How about Red Earth Blvd? I like the idea of having a Native American theme to the Blvd and it would be completely unique to OKC. This is OKC's chance to create something memorable and iconic to this city to set it apart from anywhere else.

Spartan
10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I think we should call it Smuckers.

With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good!

Then people driving down it could be the Smuckers Truckers on their commute out west to Yukkers

Best idea yet, clearly.

Plutonic Panda
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Again, I'd like to ask the question. What is kind of goofy or catchy that we should/could latch on to as a community?

(please don't say energy anything)Energy Blvd. ;)

jedicurt
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Boulevard!

Thundercitizen
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Part of the "not risky, goofy, or silly" (forgettable) list:

Oak Avenue
Elm Street
Oklahoma City Street
Bill's Road
Smith Boulevard
Jones Lane
The Other Main Street
Metropolitan Avenue
2nd Street

Whatever it turns out to be will hopefully be what it is meant to be and will have some prominence while being beneficial.

Praedura
10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Going all out on the silly front...

Larry's Lane
Nichol's Frills
Mick's Meander
Cornett's Crosstown
Okie Fin Okie
OK Can You C
The Wooly-vard
Rumble's Rampart
Durant's Detour
Thunder Pass
Pedestrian Way
Scissortail Slice
Interurban Artery
Yellow Brick Road <-- this one might already be taken
Electric Avenue <-- ditto
Les Boulevards de OKC <-- French, very classy

KayneMo
10-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Hey, what if we called it Red Earth Blvd and had a bunch of Indian themed public art in the median and on the sides? Like sidewalks that had Indian markings and arrows and feathers engraved into them? Color the sidewalks so it looks like sandstone and there you go. I'm not aware of anywhere else in the world that has a street like that.

How about Red Earth Blvd? I like the idea of having a Native American theme to the Blvd and it would be completely unique to OKC. This is OKC's chance to create something memorable and iconic to this city to set it apart from anywhere else.

I really like those ideas!

Thundercitizen
10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Agreed. Red Earth is an easy theme to build to. Not a bad name either.

JohnH_in_OKC
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM

I think Red Earth Blvd sounds cool & the Native American theme would be a BIG tourist draw plus we could possibly extend our Red Earth Boulevard beyond I-35 to the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum (http://www.theamericanindiancenter.org/)(if we ever get it completed).

HOT ROD
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry - Big Friendly sounds like OKC is trying to copy off of New Orleans' slogun (the Big Easy). Please stop copying other cities' and come up with something original already.

Central Boulevard (or even just 'Boulevard' by itself) gets my vote.

bchris02
10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry - Big Friendly sounds like OKC is trying to copy off of New Orleans' slogun (the Big Easy). Please stop copying other cities' and come up with something original already.

Central Boulevard (or even just 'Boulevard' by itself) gets my vote.

Yeah 'Big Friendly' to me is so corny yet so unoriginal its embarrassing just discussing it. I also believe Columbia, SC already has the nickname 'Big Friendly.'

How about a faux French name for the Boulevard.

ljbab728
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Yeah 'Big Friendly' to me is so corny yet so unoriginal its embarrassing just discussing it. I also believe Columbia, SC already has the nickname 'Big Friendly.'

How about a faux French name for the Boulevard.

Le Grand Amour?

Praedura
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Le Grand Amour?

that's it... :banned2: (for the crime of trans-lingual punning)

HotStuff80
10-30-2012, 11:15 PM
For suggestion's sake and from one who has not lived in OKC since 1962, how about:
Oklahoma Blvd., Oklahoma River Blvd, or perhaps... Rush Drive (as in "Land Rush")?

Snowman
10-31-2012, 07:24 AM
For suggestion's sake and from one who has not lived in OKC since 1962, how about:
Oklahoma Blvd., Oklahoma River Blvd, or perhaps... Rush Drive (as in "Land Rush")?

I like Land Rush Boulevard

catch22
10-31-2012, 08:03 AM
If it's not elevated....

Bob Kemper Drive.