View Full Version : Chesapeake Arena and Phone/Data problems inside

okc_bel_air
10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Everytime we go to anything at the Peake it seems I can never get a connection inside. No data or phone. I show full strength on my phone but can not use data and almost never can dial out. I see others around me using their iPhones. I am on ATT and use an HTC. Does anyone else have problems using their cell phones inside?

Buffalo Bill
10-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Was there last night for the Nuggets game. No problems at all with ATT and Iphone. I have had problems in the past, but not last night.

onthestrip
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I have had trouble the previous years with my ATT iphone 4. Its been the same at OSU football games as well. However I have a iphone 5 now and being on 4G/LTE, my texts and data seemed to be coming through no problem now. Havent been to a thunder game yet but Im hoping itll work better now.

okc_bel_air
10-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Mine is 4G. If I go out and stand by the window I can call out. But I still can not use data until I actually go outside the building.

TaoMaas
10-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm with AT&T and I was having trouble texting last night. Tried to send a buddy a pic of the inside of the arena, but never could get it to go. Thought it was just me.

okc_bel_air
10-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Ya, I tried to go to any website, text, or facebook and could only get connection errors. I thought I read something awhile back that they were trying to upgrade the arenas wireless system.

OKCisOK4me
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Its not just any of you. I have a Galaxy Note, 4g lte and all and can't do any kind of multimedia messaging or Facebook oriented things while inside the arena & this was even after they said they improved the arena for coverage of phones...

onthestrip
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I believe if you are on a business account, may work for individual accounts as well, you can pay a few extra bucks a month and get priority over others. The AT&T rep essentially said your text calls would be punched through first when there are a bunch of people around. Not sure about the data though

betts
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a business account, and last year I was lucky if I got a text message. I couldn't send them, and had to stand by a window to try to call out. Since I'm on call about 1 day in 3, it's a big problem going to a game on a call night. I was out of town for both pre-season games, but now have a iPhone 5 and am hoping this year will be better.

OKCTalker
10-22-2012, 03:18 PM
This is an unbelieveable situation because Thunder games attract a well-heeled, influential group of people who don't like being out of touch. As with Betts, some NEED to be n touch. Can you imagine having to turn down Thunder tickets because your phone doesn't work? At the last night of Thunder Alley during the playoffs, my AT&T iPhone wouldn't even work outside.

One would think that AT&T would bring in equipment to increase capacity during games. I'll post a similar question regarding OU's Memorial Stadium...

bluedogok
10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
My service has been sporadic for me in the Pepsi Center for Avalanche or Nuggets games, that was with my iPhone 3G on AT&T or my Droid Incredible (3G) on Verizon. It was non-existent at Owen Field (as I stated in the other thread) most of the time. I actually had service this year at Mile High for the Broncos-Texans game and that was with my Incredible before I got the iPhone 5. I think it is pretty much a demand overwhelming capacity issue at all large events. I know when I lived in Austin friends would complain about the lack of service at UT games, ACL Fest and SXSW and that was even with providers rolling in temporary cell site trailers.

BoulderSooner
10-23-2012, 07:58 AM
This is an unbelieveable situation because Thunder games attract a well-heeled, influential group of people who don't like being out of touch. As with Betts, some NEED to be n touch. Can you imagine having to turn down Thunder tickets because your phone doesn't work? At the last night of Thunder Alley during the playoffs, my AT&T iPhone wouldn't even work outside.

One would think that AT&T would bring in equipment to increase capacity during games. I'll post a similar question regarding OU's Memorial Stadium...

att connect to the antenna inside the arena .. last season .. but they still need to add a multiplexer to take full advantage of the extra capacity ..

ryanokc3
11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
I asked the people who operate the arena and they said they were working on it (making so people w/AT&T can use their phones) so far nothing has been done cause my 3GS doesn't work there

bluedogok
11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
There was an article in the Denver Post around the start of the NFL season about upgrades to Mile High. It talked about how one provider tends to take the lead and do the engineering and the others piggy back on that trying to maximize utilization and how they work together to expand capacity in terms of repeater antenna locations and switchgear. Verizon was the lead there but I am sure that AT&T would be the lead at a place like Cowboys Stadium.

zookeeper
11-02-2012, 10:33 PM
There was an article in the Denver Post around the start of the NFL season about upgrades to Mile High. It talked about how one provider tends to take the lead and do the engineering and the others piggy back on that trying to maximize utilization and how they work together to expand capacity in terms of repeater antenna locations and switchgear. Verizon was the lead there but I am sure that AT&T would be the lead at a place like Cowboys Stadium.

Yes, AT&T is everywhere at Cowboy's Stadium and they don't even have naming rights. Jones is the lone holdout in the NFL by keeping "Cowboy's Stadium". He doesn't need the money and the stadium is almost paid for so most expect him to stand pat.

Snowman
11-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes, AT&T is everywhere at Cowboy's Stadium and they don't even have naming rights. Jones is the lone holdout in the NFL by keeping "Cowboy's Stadium". He doesn't need the money and the stadium is almost paid for so most expect him to stand pat.

The thing is Jones wants more for the naming rights than currently anyone is willing to pay (something like 50% more per year than the current highest in the NFL) and he is ok with holding out till someone is willing to pay what he thinks it works.