View Full Version : Avalon Seafood (closed)

Mel
10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
shrimp, clams, scallops, salmon, cooking classes, recipes, Avalon Seafoods, Fresh Seafood, sushi fish, Cameron Stovetop smoker, sword, tilapia, grouper, ahi tuna, flounder, red snapper, sole, roughy, cod, crab cakes, oysters, cobia, catfish, Fresh Fi (http://avalonseafoodsokc.com/avalonseafoodsokc.com/AVALON_SEAFOODS.html)

It had been a little while since I had been able to shop there always had the best seafood. Got to know Ron and his crew when they would pick up their inbound shipments at the SWA freight dock. Tis economy has torn down the good with the bad.

Mel
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Sorry that link is so goobered up. I don't try this often.

betts
10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
That's a shame. I wonder if Whole Foods hurt them too.

Mel
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
He first started as a OKC branch of Bodeans seafood out of TUL.
Been independent a while. Always good product, good recipes, had cooking classes the whole shebang.

RadicalModerate
10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Shocked at the fact that the news of the unexpected closure of Avalon (on May) took so long to filter down into the "Fresh Seafood" buying demographic far, far away from the Sea.

Just one more reason i eschew "sushi/sashimi" . . . =)

I personally,and relatively recently, learned of the unexpected closing of this purveyor of "Fresh Fish" while in search of halibut . . .
Went to Gulfport up the street . . . it was open . . . with a great selection and semi-surly "waitperson/server" . . .
The price was right . . . I just have to wonder about the iced down offerings behind the sneeze-guards . . . =)

RadicalModerate
10-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I think a recently reopened ["noobee"] restaurant, up there in Guthrie, might need another nudge in the right direction . . . =)
Perhaps Mrs. Sainte Pauls? . . . =)

Did you know that "goobered up" (culinary lingoized "peanuts") are a great, locally grown, substitute for . . . almonds . . . cashews . . . macadamias . . . for an addition to a "breading" for whatever? Especially fish. =)

Martin
10-21-2012, 08:39 AM
can't say i'm surprised. i've always wondered how both gulfport and avalon could both exist so close to one another... -M

soonerguru
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Shocked at the fact that the news of the unexpected closure of Avalon (on May) took so long to filter down into the "Fresh Seafood" buying demographic far, far away from the Sea.

Just one more reason i eschew "sushi/sashimi" . . . =)

I personally,and relatively recently, learned of the unexpected closing of this purveyor of "Fresh Fish" while in search of halibut . . .
Went to Gulfport up the street . . . it was open . . . with a great selection and semi-surly "waitperson/server" . . .
The price was right . . . I just have to wonder about the iced down offerings behind the sneeze-guards . . . =)

Respectfully, your esoteric writing style makes it very difficult to understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying you don't trust the "fresh" labels on seafood? Are you saying you won't buy seafood now that Avalon has closed or that Gulfport is a good alternative? Please be more clear.

RadicalModerate
10-21-2012, 06:23 PM
1) I am somewhat suspicious of the "fresh" labels on seafood.
2) Gulfport seems to be a good alternative to the dear, departed, Avalon.