View Full Version : Kindle Fire

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Anybody have the Kindle Fire? If so how do you like it?

SoonerDave
10-17-2012, 07:51 AM
No Kindle here...daughter has a Nook, she's happy with it.

In retrospect, I'm not sure I wouldn't just get a nice tablet and download the preferred eReader software (Kindle or Nook, or even both), and then not get roped into provider-specific content and provider-specific hardware (yeah, even a proprietary USB charging cable) as B&N does with the Nook. Really, really annoying aspect of an otherwise very nice reader.

Don't know if Kindle does the same thing...

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Wife bought a Kindle from Sam's. She liked the smaller size over the iPad, but unfortunately, after using the iPad she really couldn't stand the Fire. So, it just sits in a drawer. Its okay though, depending on what you want to do with it. She just didn't find it as responsive or nearly as many apps as she wanted. She also found it easier to put her ripped DVD's and TV shows on the iPad. I know others with a Fire that primarily just use them to surf the web, email and read and they like them.

I think the wife is going to try the smaller iPad due out soon.

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I was probably just going to use it for surfing and reading and use my laptop for everything else.

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I was probably just going to use it for surfing and reading and use my laptop for everything else.

Then the fire is probably your best bet for the money.

soonertoad
10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
The Google Nexus 7 has double the processor power, easier access to android apps, a mini usb input and costs about the same as Kindle fire.

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info.... didn't consider the Nexus but I'll take a look at it.

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Decent article comparing the two.... Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7: Which one is right for you? | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/)

BoulderSooner
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
if there is any truth to the rumors the ipad mini will be out soon and in this price range

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Decent article comparing the two.... Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7: Which one is right for you? | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57507776-251/kindle-fire-hd-vs-nexus-7-which-one-is-right-for-you/)

Thanks !!

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I wish either one had a SD card slot

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I wish either one had a SD card slot

That's the one thing i really want on the iPad. They could have simply come out with a single 16GB iPad with a fully functional SD slot (unlike the limited one via the adapter) and had only one SKU, but, that would have hurt the profits.

Roadhawg
10-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I'll probably hold off getting one until they have more than 16/32G or come with a SD slot.

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll probably hold off getting one until they have more than 16/32G or come with a SD slot.

I'm imagining the average user finds it hard to fill a 32GB tablet (many even a 16), but considering how cheap hard drive space is, its a shame they don't just make them all larger.

NoOkie
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm imagining the average user finds it hard to fill a 32GB tablet (many even a 16), but considering how cheap hard drive space is, its a shame they don't just make them all larger.

They can make more money this way!

RH, I got a Nexus 7. Really happy with it. Rumor mill is saying a 32 gig model is coming out. They may drop the price point on the 16Gb and add the 32 as top end one. There's also a Nexus 10 in the works, but I find myself really liking the 7" format.

Roadhawg
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I haven't read up on The Cloud too much but is it possible to keep stuff on it and not need all that space or a SD slot? Plus I would like to see 4G wireless in it as well.

NoOkie
10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I haven't read up on The Cloud too much but is it possible to keep stuff on it and not need all that space or a SD slot? Plus I would like to see 4G wireless in it as well.

Yeah. Google has a lot of cloud storage services. Google music is all in the cloud(With local cache services), plus there is google drive, which is cloud storage and the regular cloud storage stuff works pretty well, like Dropbox. 99% of the android apps for phones still work on the tablet. It also has apps for both the Kindle and Nook readers, so you can read those. Not sure about Amazon Streaming Video, but Netflix also has an app.

I don't think there are plans for a 4G version, but I use my phone as a hotspot when I need it. The tablet for me is mostly a couch surfing device. I still use my phone when mobile, for the most part.

BoulderSooner
10-23-2012, 08:36 AM
another kindle fire competitor will be announced today at 12 the ipad mini or whatever they call it

HewenttoJared
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Mini price point might make it less competitive. We were thinking of buying one, but when you can get a 2 for just a few bucks more..

Roadhawg
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
A comparison.... iPad Mini: A comparison with other small tablets - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/24/tech/mobile/ipad-mini-comparisons/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

BBatesokc
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Mini price point might make it less competitive. We were thinking of buying one, but when you can get a 2 for just a few bucks more..

I personally wish the price was lower but I think their pricing strategy is well suited for them and their shareholders. The fact that the only thing 'mini' is the size, it's going to be a home run for Apple (again). I still remember when even people on this forum doubted the iPad would hold up to the plethora of competitors and it has continued to crush them.

BBatesokc
10-26-2012, 09:32 AM
After looking at the specs - if you don't own other Apple products, then the mini iPad is probably not your best budget purchase. I'm getting the mini Nov 2 simply because I prefer a smaller tablet and I already own two other iPads, two MacBook Pros, a MacPro and two iPhones. I love that all the same apps, files, pics are on all my Apple devices. That makes it worth the premium to me. Otherwise, go with a $199 tablet.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
After a year or so of watching my wife squint at her old, crappy, tiny, and did I mention crappy?, phone for her Facebooking and emailing from the couch (she hates laptops), I bought her a Kindle Fire for her birthday this year. She absolutely LOVES the thing. Her use is pretty much what you say you'd use it for; Reading, web, email, etc. It's pretty locked down and not very configurable, but that's what my wife needs ;), she's not a techie, and just wants it to work. And work it does. It's slaved to your Amazon account, so purchases are easy. She has figured out how to purchase and watch TV shows directly off of Amazon, download books, grab apps (MAN did I not see her love of Angry Birds coming!)...And this is a person who has a hard time getting pictures from her camera to her computer. The Fire was perfect for her. She just got the iPhone 5 though, we'll see how long the Fire stays on the end table before she stops using it :eek:

I have a Asus tablet that cost more than twice what the Fire cost, and it's much more open to customization, but she hates it. I like it, but if I'm going to read an ebook? I get her Fire. A full sized tablet does not lend itself to book reading at all. Too big and awkward to hold for extended periods. The Fire can be held one-handed with ease.