View Full Version : deadCENTER film festival

metro
06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
I attended last nights awards ceremony and screening of the Fearless Freaks about OKC's own Flaming Lips. It was great. The festival is really growing. Several of the bigger movie producers even said this festival in a few years will be the new "it" film festival. Let's continue to support it. Anyone else go and have thoughts??

Luke
06-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Sounds really cool. I wish I would have gone to some of the events. Next year I'll plan to for sure!

travis
06-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I came up from Dallas to see the girlfriend and took her to see Fearless Freaks Saturday night at Kerr Park. Had a great time. The movie was good and the venue was even better. They did a great job putting it on. The location was good; we parked in Bricktown and had drinks there before and after the movie. I was also glad to see that Randy Marks made the awards, which provided a good local angle to the event, in addition to the subject of the movie. I would highly recomend hosting other movies there. I just wished that they could have gotten the lights turned down.

metro
06-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Glad you came up to OKC Travis, indeed it was a great venue. The lights didnt bother me too much, the darkness kept it highly visable dispite the kerr park lights on. The only thing that bugged me was all the rude people smoking in the amphitheater, it sure made it hard to breathe

jbrown84
07-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I went for the first time this year and it was great. It's gotten so much bigger than what it was just 3 years ago. I agree I think it could become really big.

I went to the Oklahoma Shorts at Stage Center and then the Horror Shorts at IAO. IAO was a cool place to have it, but it was a little cramped. There's definetely room for growth.

metro
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
It's time for deadCENTER film festival 2007 right in downtown OKC!! If you haven't been you need to. This event is becoming bigger and bigger every year and its becoming an internationally known film festival. We need to keep supporting it!

2007 Festival Details
The 7th annual deadCENTER Film Festival opens Wednesday, June 6 screening 100 local, national and international films through Sunday, June 10. Once again the festival is in the deadCENTER of downtown Oklahoma City with screenings at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, the Individual Artists of Oklahoma Gallery, Kerr Park, the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, the Harkins Bricktown Theater, the Skirvin Hotel, and the lawn at 3rd and EK Gaylord.

The festival kicks-off on Wednesday, June 6 at 9pm at with a free outdoor screening at Kerr Park. The kick-off film, Shut Up and Ride, documents the lives of a group of bull riders competing in the IPRA (International Pro Rodeo Association), which is based in Oklahoma City. Featuring Spencer native Danelle Tipton, this film is an exciting tribute to our western heritage and our creative future.

On Thursday, June 7, the festival moves into full swing with screenings all over downtown. The Oklahoma City Museum of Art will once again host our official Opening Night Party and film. This year the fest is thrilled to offer a Sundance favorite, Year of the Fish. This animated, modern-day adaptation of Cinderella is based on an old Chinese version of the story. With a crescendo that takes place at the height of the Chinese New Year the film spins the traditional fairy tale in ways that are both surprising and engaging. A tattoo-party at IAO celebrating the film, Flesh and Blood and an after-party at Maker’s Cigar bar offer late-night options for festival attendees.

Films continue all day Friday, June 8 including a free Kid’s Film Fest at the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library and the much-applauded panel series at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. The Filmmaker Cocktail Reception at the XO Lounge (sponsored by the Oklahoma Film and Music Office) and the Friday Night Frolic at the IAO are just two of the party options Friday night. For those with a taste for the truly independent; the Horror Shorts and Midnight Shorts at the IAO are always an edgy hit.

This year deadCENTER added a screenplay competition to the fest. On Saturday, June 9 dCFF is pleased to present a table-read of the winning screenplay with the screenwriter and some of OKC’s best talent in the theater at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. This is a unique opportunity for aspiring and established screenwriters, directors and producers to hear and see the process involved in transforming the words in your head to words on a page.

Throughout the fest audience members can check in with the future of Oklahoma filmmaking. With 26 films made in, featuring or created by Oklahomans, deadCENTER continues to showcase the very best Oklahoma film artists. With everything from the premiere of the documentary Widowbago to the beautifully shot and well-acted featurettes Contactee and Love Letters or the ever-popular Okie Shorts on Friday night, the Okla-homies are well represented at the 7th annual fest.

The excitement reaches into the stratosphere Saturday night with the Awards Presentation and premiere of the Flaming Lips doc, U.F.O.s at the Zoo – The Legendary Concert. Bring a chair or a blanket to the lawn at 3rd and EK Gaylord and relive the concert event filmed in September 2006 at Oklahoma City’s Zoo Amphitheatre. The hometown love affair begins with a UFO light show, proceeds through bubbles, aliens and dancing Santas as the Lips perform songs that span their career. After the film, festival attendees will converge at the Purple Bar at Nonna’s for the Closing Night party.

Sunday, June 10th the festival ends with one screening - The Best of Fest at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. Featuring the short films awarded top honors the previous night, the Best of Fest is the perfect conclusion to an exciting weekend in art and entertainment.

All-access passes are $100 and include entry into all festival screenings, parties, and panels, and a goodie bag. A basic pass is also available for $50 and includes entry into all screenings. Tickets for most individual screenings are $8 and are available at each venue.

deadCENTER Film (http://www.deadcenterfilm.org) for more info.