View Full Version : Construction Projects Going On At OSU

Bunty
10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Construction projects rolling along at Oklahoma State University » Local News » Stillwater NewsPress (http://www.stwnewspress.com/local/x253529924/Construction-projects-rolling-along-at-Oklahoma-State-University)

ou48A
10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
The multipurpose OSU workout venue will not have heat……. but will feature six large doors on each side of the building.

That’s not going to be a very comfortable winter work out area and really not that much of a selling point for OSU + Those doors will blow around in the wind and make lots of noise.

This workout facility is a drastic cut back compared to the $50 million dollar faculty that had been planned several years ago with dollars that held more value.

MonkeesFan
10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
The building will not have air conditioning or heating units, okay, what the hell is this?

Why? There must be a very good reason why they will have no air condition or heat

This had me baffled....

ou48A
10-16-2012, 05:27 PM
The building will not have air conditioning or heating units, okay, what the hell is this?

Why? There must be a very good reason why they will have no air condition or heat

This had me baffled....
It’s called not enough money and doing things on the cheap.
T. Boone needs to put up one of his spare windmills.

MonkeesFan
10-16-2012, 05:39 PM

I am laughing right now because that is ridiculous, I bet nobody will come work out in the summer or winter

WilliamTell
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I am laughing right now because that is ridiculous, I bet nobody will come work out in the summer or winter

I was at OSU in the early to mid 2000's when we had the old colvin center - started the updates and moved us to the intramural gym that didnt have a/c or heat just chain link fence on the sides - then finally back to the renovated colvin center. I've worked out religiously since early highschool and more people than you can imagine continued to work out during the winter and summer months. I cant say i would be excited about it today, but college kids are pretty good about staying in shape regardless of the weather. Plus if you have ever played sports competitively the big thing has been (prob will always be) practicing and training in unfavorable elements so they have less on an effect when you are playing.

I never played sports at a college level (well, club for awhile) but historically the big name football teams that win a lot are from extreme norther or southern climates. It can be a huge advantage.

OKCisOK4me
10-16-2012, 06:31 PM

This had me baffled....

Mike Gundy said a long time ago that there was no reason for air conditioning or heating considering the team plays on an outdoor field, ie, they're not practicing on a field that has a ground temp of 135 degrees, like a game day scenario and they can practice on a rainy day. Chances are, if it's a rainy day, it's not like if a tornado is coming through Stilly, that the team would be practicing outdoors anyway. It's just a cheaper, more efficient way of protecting the practices from some elements but not all of them.

As far as the $50 million proposed IPF, that was proposed before the Boone fund got tanked by the national economy. Also, note that the $20 million donated by Sherman was to maintenance the facility for umpteenth years following it's completion.

CuatrodeMayo
10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
The multipurpose OSU workout venue will not have heat……. but will feature six large doors on each side of the building.

That’s not going to be a very comfortable winter work out area and really not that much of a selling point for OSU + Those doors will blow around in the wind and make lots of noise.

1. The vast majority of indoor practice facilities are not climate controlled. Generally, enclosed practice buildings are not intended for moderating temperature but for protection from the elements. Given the wide range of temperatures a football game could be played, always practicing in 72 degree weather could negatively affect conditioning.

2. I don't know why you think the doors are a bad thing. It is really quite innovative and no practice facility in the country has such a system. In decent weather the doors can all be opened which will essentially turn the building into a massive open-air pavilion. These are aircraft hanger doors that have been sucessfully used all over the country. The largest doors on this project are 150' long by 50' tall.

Bunty
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM

This workout facility is a drastic cut back compared to the $50 million dollar faculty that had been planned several years ago with dollars that held more value.

So is OU's indoor practice field climate controlled?

onthestrip
10-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Leave it up to ou48A to come on this thread and find a way to criticize it. If you didnt know any better, OU is the gold standard for everything. If there was even an argument on which US college had the best sidewalks Im sure hed say it was OU. Also the comment about doing things cheap is way off. I believe OUs ipf was around $5-6mil. So Id say a $20mil facility will suffice. Plus spending $50mil on it is a total waste.

The fact is that this indoor facility will look 10x better than OU's and it will provide a place to practice during inclement weather (rain, snow). No need to heat or cool a space that has over a 100 foot ceiling. Would make no economical or enviromental sense.

And the comment about rattling doors...I just have to laugh at that.

OKCisOK4me
10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Leave it up to ou48A to come on this thread and find a way to criticize it. If you didnt know any better, OU is the gold standard for everything.

I know, right? Kinda makes me want to pee on every OU thread on this forum, but I don't cause I'm not a child. He hasn't responded since my post (#7) which is a legit answer and reason.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
1. The vast majority of indoor practice facilities are not climate controlled. Generally, enclosed practice buildings are not intended for moderating temperature but for protection from the elements. Given the wide range of temperatures a football game could be played, always practicing in 72 degree weather could negatively affect conditioning.

2. I don't know why you think the doors are a bad thing. It is really quite innovative and no practice facility in the country has such a system. In decent weather the doors can all be opened which will essentially turn the building into a massive open-air pavilion. These are aircraft hanger doors that have been sucessfully used all over the country. The largest doors on this project are 150' long by 50' tall.

1.We are being told that this is a multipurpose facility… the lack of heat would impact the spring sports much more than football.
According to an article I read several years ago the vast majority are heated. The ones I have seen have ventilation systems to reduce heat. The University of Texas is on their third indoor facility. Their most recent is air conditioned but they have a soft team. Gundy is right for not wanting air conditioning for his football team IMHO but he could turn off the heat and not harm the efforts of other sports. But this is trully an issue of money for OSU.

2.Have you ever spent any time in a large building with similar doors?
I use to work in building with doors like they are putting in IMO the noise would be very distracting during a practice.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
So is OU's indoor practice field climate controlled?

The new indoor practice facility has heat, no air, there is ventilation, and they do provide cooling areas at times. It’s been so long since I have been in the old indoor that was built in the 80’s , I don’t remember.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Mike Gundy said a long time ago that there was no reason for air conditioning or heating considering the team plays on an outdoor field, ie, they're not practicing on a field that has a ground temp of 135 degrees, like a game day scenario and they can practice on a rainy day. Chances are, if it's a rainy day, it's not like if a tornado is coming through Stilly, that the team would be practicing outdoors anyway. It's just a cheaper, more efficient way of protecting the practices from some elements but not all of them.

As far as the $50 million proposed IPF, that was proposed before the Boone fund got tanked by the national economy. Also, note that the $20 million donated by Sherman was to maintenance the facility for umpteenth years following it's completion.

The fact is that OSU officials have admitted that they got too greedy with the BP hedge fund.
Had they not been so greedy they would have already had a very nice indoor facility and more.
At the time it was plan OSU people were bragging that the 50 million dollar indoor facility was going to have heat and air.
It's pretty funny that now that it’s not, that it’s more than ok among many of the OSU faithful.

OKCisOK4me
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
OSU faithful isn't using it. OSU athletes are using it. I highly doubt of all the improvements to the football facilities since the days of Rustolium Stadium when I was a student there, that they're gonna be like, "oh nooooo, there's no air conditioning in this new IPF!". All of what OSU has now waaaaaaaay outweighs air conditioning or heat for that matter.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Leave it up to ou48A to come on this thread and find a way to criticize it. If you didnt know any better, OU is the gold standard for everything. If there was even an argument on which US college had the best sidewalks Im sure hed say it was OU. Also the comment about doing things cheap is way off. I believe OUs ipf was around $5-6mil. So Id say a $20mil facility will suffice. Plus spending $50mil on it is a total waste.

The fact is that this indoor facility will look 10x better than OU's and it will provide a place to practice during inclement weather (rain, snow). No need to heat or cool a space that has over a 100 foot ceiling. Would make no economical or enviromental sense.

And the comment about rattling doors...I just have to laugh at that.

OU’s IDF was 9 million dollars in 2001 money. Much of this was donated. But I could identify about one billion dollars’ worth of improves for the OU athletic wish list. OU is way behind Texas in this area.
Sometimes I post things just to get a rise out of the insecure. But the OSU IDF is what it is and if you don’t like it go get rich and do something about it.

PS: OU/ Norman sidewalks around campus into many cases suck. I have made my feelings known to appropriate officials who say they will slowly be improving them.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
OSU faithful isn't using it. OSU athletes are using it. I highly doubt of all the improvements to the football facilities since the days of Rustolium Stadium when I was a student there, that they're gonna be like, "oh nooooo, there's no air conditioning in this new IPF!". All of what OSU has now waaaaaaaay outweighs air conditioning or heat for that matter.

Current and former OSU athletes are part of the OSU faithful… if they are not there are some problems with perception.

OKCisOK4me
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah...I wasn't thinking about that lol. I can't even remember the last big former athlete from OSU that donated money to the program..unlike OU, which recently received that donation from Bradford.

ou48A
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah...I wasn't thinking about that lol. I can't even remember the last big former athlete from OSU that donated money to the program..unlike OU, which recently received that donation from Bradford.

Thurman Thomas has donated to OSU causes…
So have some of the OSU golfers.

OKCisOK4me
10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I meant recent student athlete grads. That's great for the golf guys. You seem fairly knowledgeable when it comes to OSU donations. Is it a general donation to the overall athletic fund or are they specific donations targeted at individual programs? IM assuming Thurman Thomas is not donating to the Equestrian team as those golf grads aren't donating to the Tennis team or where the university sees fit to spend the money. My bet is the donators are earmarking where their gifts go...

Bunty
10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
The fact is that OSU officials have admitted that they got too greedy with the BP hedge fund.
Had they not been so greedy they would have already had a very nice indoor facility and more.
At the time it was plan OSU people were bragging that the 50 million dollar indoor facility was going to have heat and air.
It's pretty funny that now that it’s not, that it’s more than ok among many of the OSU faithful.

The manager of the hedge fund should have been smart enough to have gone by the investment wisdom of letting the trend be your friend. When those handsome returns reversed and started trending down, it was time to get the hell out to protect gains.

ou48A
10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
I meant recent student athlete grads. That's great for the golf guys. You seem fairly knowledgeable when it comes to OSU donations. Is it a general donation to the overall athletic fund or are they specific donations targeted at individual programs? IM assuming Thurman Thomas is not donating to the Equestrian team as those golf grads aren't donating to the Tennis team or where the university sees fit to spend the money. My bet is the donators are earmarking where their gifts go...

I don’t know a lot about OSU donations but I do follow the business side of college sports closer than many fans and have done so for many years. As most OSU fans have learned good facilities help recruiting and can play a role in helping a team win.
OU has good facilities but OU could easily spend well over ½ a billion dollars just to bring its facility up to a match the best of what others have. When it comes to facilities over all nobody is going ever match the University of Texas. They have something like 10 Boone Pickens and some of them make T. Boone look poor. They also have hundreds of other significant donors.
They also have a giant endowment and there state provides much better levels of funding than what we have that also indirectly supports their athletic endeavors. But for all they have its isn’t the end all as we saw this past Saturday.

ou48A
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
The manager of the hedge fund should have been smart enough to have gone by the investment wisdom of letting the trend be your friend. When those handsome returns reversed and started trending down, it was time to get the hell out to protect gains.

That particular hedge fund only let you withdraw your money every quarter and you had to give due notification well in advance. I think it was 3 months’ time but I am not sure. OSU had intentions of withdrawing its money and only missed the date by about 2 or 3 weeks before the energy market crashed.

Anyone who has been involved in investing and particularly in energy for any length of time had to know this was extremely risky way of conducting business for OSU. Few others would have done this.

OSU is in a much better position now to be sure.... but at the time much of the OSU fan base was say that everything Boone Pickens touches turns to gold. Knowing something about the man’s professional and personal life I knew that wasn’t true.
The hedge fund has recovered and Boone Pickens has recovered some of his losses.

Now if OSU could just collect on those life insurance policies.
Who’s willing to take one for the team?

Oh wait?

Spartan
10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Sometimes I post things just to get a rise out of the insecure.

It's called trolling. I sometimes poke on my Poke friends and Gooner die hard friends just to get a rise out of them, but you go beyond with incendiary remarks and insisting that one is superior over the other.

And the ironic thing is that the new IPF is hardly in the top 5 impressive new things being built in Stillwater right now.

ou48A
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
It's called trolling. I sometimes poke on my Poke friends and Gooner die hard friends just to get a rise out of them, but you go beyond with incendiary remarks and insisting that one is superior over the other.

And the ironic thing is that the new IPF is hardly in the top 5 impressive new things being built in Stillwater right now.

No, it’s called getting a rise out of people like you who has been proven wrong before about the facts.
Trolling can be talking out of turn and without facts backing up your opinion.
And I think I said that OSU has made some very nice campus improvements.
Like anyone else, they need to make many more.

Bunty
10-19-2012, 10:59 PM
And I think I said that OSU has made some very nice campus improvements.
Like anyone else, they need to make many more.

Like what? OSU needs to get more serious about getting a really great school of architectural building, like OU did?? At least one improvement it doesn't need is at the Student Union after spending around $60 million remodeling it. The north side of it is now totally different.

Bunty
10-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Like what? A couple, or so, new off campus apartment complexes? The new Farmhouse fraternity? Two new elementary schools to replace old ones? Stillwater High School's athletic village to be built just to the north of the school's new stadium is at least several years away from starting construction.

onthestrip
10-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Like what? OSU needs to get more serious about getting a really great school of architectural building, like OU did?? At least one improvement it doesn't need is at the Student Union after spending around $60 million remodeling it. The north side of it is now totally different.

The architecture building was remodeled and expanded a couple years ago. Great looking building.

Bunty
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM
The architecture building was remodeled and expanded a couple years ago. Great looking building.
I agree, but doesn't compare well with OU's new architecture building with its HUGE arch. I reckon since Bruce Goff was so famous with his unusual art and plans and infamous in other ways, it's fitting.