View Full Version : Blue Belle Saloon in Guthrie

boscorama
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
They should contact Robert Irvine immediately!

Not that any of my party actually ate there. You see, their menu consisted of fried chicken, fried catfish and bbq ribs. There were sides, as well. Someone ordered ribs, only to be told they were sold out. Funny, as the only other patrons were drinking beer, not eating. None of our party wanted fried foods, so away we went. But not before being served drinks (iced tea, cokes) in styrofoam cups complete with lids and straws :rolleyes:

The menu offered no sandwiches, hamburgers, nor appetizers.

Lord, please bring Blue Belle a new owner soon, before it closes for another five years!

Larry OKC
10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Never heard of it, where is it?

ljbab728
10-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Never heard of it, where is it?

Guthrie.

RadicalModerate
10-17-2012, 07:25 AM
The Blue Belle Saloon is one of the most famous historical landmarks in Guthrie, as noted above. Tom Mix, the famous old-time actor in Westerns was a bartender there for awhile. Bill Tilghman, the famous law-enforcement officer and gambling den operator, probably enjoyed more than a few beverages within its hallowed walls. Plus it's haunted. This time apparently by people who don't really understand how to run a restaurant or order enough food to take care of patrons. Sure hope they didn't revamp the interior of the place . . .

Larry OKC
10-17-2012, 03:20 PM
From the name I was expecting an old-fshioned Ice Cream parlor complete with root beer (hence the saloon) floats

boscorama
10-17-2012, 07:19 PM
From what I saw, the integrity of the interior hasn't been compromised.

The Sunday morning Ch 4 news (Is This a Great State or What) featured the Blue Bell this past Sunday. The new owners have no restaurant experience. Sigh.

Pete
10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.okpri.com/BlueBelleSaloon.htm

October 15, 2012
New owners restore Blue Belle Saloon to western glory (http://www.edmondsun.com/business/x1200631821/New-owners-restore-Blue-Belle-Saloon-to-western-glory)
Van Mitchell
Special to The Sun

GUTHRIE — Annie Silvers moved to Guthrie in 1998 and fell in love with the historic Blue Belle Saloon. After it closed in 2009, she envisioned a day when the Blue Belle would once again see its grander days.

Last month that opportunity arrived when the Blue Belle Saloon, at 224 W. Harrison, opened its doors under new ownership, which includes Silvers and Brian and Cindy McGhee.

“I fell in love with this building,” Silvers said. “We wanted to bring back the feel and flavor of the Old West. During the last six weeks, I have worked many days and nights to bring the spirit of the west back into this old building. When people walk in the doors, it should feel like they were never closed. The Blue Belle Saloon is a landmark and tribute to Guthrie and to (western movie star) Tom Mix. For me, it was also about bringing this beautiful gem back to its former brilliance.”

The Blue Belle reopened on Sept. 19 and is open Wednesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. It employs about eight staff members and has seating for 150 people.

Silvers said the public response to the Blue Belle’s reopening has been great.

“The day we reopened, we were overwhelmed by the support that our town showed us,” Silvers said. “This community has been waiting for this day.”

Cindy McGhee, who also serves as the chief chef, said when she walked into the restaurant for the first time she knew there was a lot of work to be done. She said renovations began last spring and lasted through the summer.

“There was nothing left in here except the bar,” she said. “We renovated the kitchen and brought in new furniture. It has been everything from the ground floor up.”

McGhee, who previously worked as a sous chef at another Guthrie restaurant, said the Blue Belle menu features many of her specialties including fried chicken, fried catfish, ribs and pork loin sandwiches.

“The menu is a lot of my specialties,” McGhee said. “We are doing specials every day.”

Silvers said she wanted to keep an Old West theme for the Blue Belle. She greets customers wearing a saloon-era costume. She said employees also will occasionally perform skits and line dances in saloon-era outfits.

The Blue Belle Saloon and Miss Lizzie’s Bordello, which was located above the Blue Belle, have played a significant part in Guthrie’s history. Mix worked at the Blue Belle from 1902-04. Mix’s movie career spanned 26 years from 1909-35. In all, he made 336 feature films, produced 88, wrote 71 and directed 117. Some of Mix’s friends would drop by and see him including Will Rogers and Lucille Mulhall.

In keeping with the western theme, Silvers decorated the restaurant with photos, art and memorabilia of Mix and other local celebrities. The original ceiling is intact and still has the original gunshot holes to prove it.

Silvers said gunfighters will perform on Saturdays starting around 10 a.m. to about 2 p.m. on the street outside the Blue Belle and also inside the restaurant. Additionally, Silvers said the Blue Belle will feature musical entertainment.

Silvers said her hope is for people to not only enjoy the great food and atmosphere, but also learn a little about Guthrie’s historic past.

“We want to make it fun and educational for children and adults,” she said. “We also want this to be a destination point for travelers. There is truly something special about this place.”

OKCTalker
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
It's been years since I was in Guthrie, and the only game downtown was "Granny Had One," a restaurant run by the Coffin family. All others were hole-in-the-wall joints with fried foods & BBQ, but nothing that would make you want to go back. The only thing differentiating the Blue Belle Saloon was its appearance.

Has anything changed, or is this the same basic composition?

RadicalModerate
10-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Ever heard of The Sand Plum restaurant? It was very, very good.
But this is about The Blue Belle . . .
What if the owners tried to figure out what might actually have been served here, when the place was in its heyday and build a menu around that . . .?

Eg: no pizza . . . no chicken strips . . . no burritos . . . no hamburgers . . .
Instead: tough steaks, tough pan fried chicken, maybe corned beef, pork chops, stew, beans, biscuits, cornbread, hardtack and . . .

In all honesty, I wish the new owners well in their venture.
I was in the Blue Belle a few times helping to set up various Guthrie Festival venues and thought it was a very interesting place.

boscorama
10-20-2012, 07:33 PM
In Guthrie, if you build it they will come, at first anyway. Blue Belle looked busy when I drove by at lunch time a few days ago. No idea how many were repeat customers. The place always attracted families/tourists with children on Saturdays, so they sure as heck better improve on their menu. The saloon girl thing can sell only so much fried chicken.

The immediate previous owner, a woman named Vivian, drove the place to the ground like nobody's business. At least these new people have their hearts in the right place.

Perhaps I'll come across someone who had a good experience there (thus far, 0 for 2). It can only get better, right?

RadicalModerate
10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
In Guthrie, if you build it they will come . . . The saloon girl thing can sell only so much fried chicken.

The immediate previous owner, a woman named Vivian, drove the place to the ground like nobody's business. At least these new people have their hearts in the right place.

Perhaps I'll come across someone who had a good experience there (thus far, 0 for 2). It can only get better, right?

In Guthrie--Proper--"They" don't want anything "built" . . . "They" want the little town on the edge of the landrun that time forgot restored and maintained at/to its original glory. And is that so wrong? =)
Rhetorical Question: Answer: No. It Isn't (wrong) =)

Interesting Historical Trivia:
Karen Silkwood and The Recently ReNewZerated Sherri "The Jewel Theft Victim" Ellis used to haunt the place.
Perhaps one reason why the mysterious "Vivian" couldn't make a go of it . . . ? (or not?)

Point is . . . The Blue Belle Saloon is a Guthrie Icon. A real memento of the past . . .
(you can look up old photos of the Guthrie PD and they were taken right there)

Ambiance Suggestion (as apparently the "authentic" olde barroom furniture was removed for no apparent reason):
Get an authentic period player piano that doesn't play when a kid puts in a token.
As soon as the kid--and then the parents--begin to whine . . . the piano starts to play.
Haunted. =)

And then the Tom Mix hologram says: Y' know, Ma'am, this here saloon wuz never intended for children . . . =)

boscorama
10-21-2012, 07:26 PM
In the context of Guthrie it should have been stated if you open a restaurant they'll come. But everything you said here makes sense :wink:

RadicalModerate
10-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Right after Robert Irvine, they need to contact this guy's booking agent for the Live Music teaser . . .
If the stage costume isn't period--which it is--at least the music is: Good. Period.
mtfXb1zUF9E
(even if the drummer looks like one of The Evil Scientist Guys from MST3K =)

Or, if Roy is too busy . . . (for authenticity's sake . . . =)
LC5uyackyLA
(i really used to think that Leon Redbone was Frank Zappa's alternate stage persona. Like Garth and Chris =)

boscorama
08-24-2013, 08:56 PM
UPDATE: No surprise, the restaurant went dark a while back. Good news is, it has re-opened under new management. Robert Painter (Iguana Mexican Grill/Cafe) has taken over as of June 21. I went for lunch last week.

Good news! Lots of stuff on menu. Salads, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, chicken, etc. My friend had a burger (1/2 lb) which was decent though seasoned beyond his preference. The bun was good. Having requested mustard, he was bemused at receiving a single pack of mustard (way insufficient for this beef and bun) as well as two ketchups for the generous portion of house made fries! Fries were good but not outstanding (like Garage). My chicken sandwich was good. Since I don't use ketchup, my partner got to use my two packets.

Before we left, a customer next to us was delivered a chicken fried chicken dinner. OMG! I'm going back for that!

Today's Guthrie News Leader featured a front page story about the reopening. Painter goes on about how people won't come in due to past experience. Quite rightly.

Here's a tip for management: Get bottled ketchup on the tables. Mustard, too.

Edit: Looking at the historic bar, something was missing. Liquor! Bottles of beer, not so ornamental. No skin off my nose.

cindycat
02-10-2015, 08:29 AM
We returned to Oklahoma in late 2013, after eight years away. Went up to Guthrie for the library book sale and decided to go to Blue Belle...hadn't been there in at least ten years. We visited with the new owner Robert Painter, whom we'd met at the Iguana. Food was great! Oh, that chicken!! Last Friday there was that book sale again, so we drove from Choctaw for some pre-sale fried chicken. No one inside. No sign. Nothing. We asked one of the locals while we ate at The Stables and they said it was something about a liquor license. I know they'd had beer when we were there last year. Anyone know the story? Thanks.

boscorama
02-18-2015, 08:15 PM
We returned to Oklahoma in late 2013, after eight years away. Went up to Guthrie for the library book sale and decided to go to Blue Belle...hadn't been there in at least ten years. We visited with the new owner Robert Painter, whom we'd met at the Iguana. Food was great! Oh, that chicken!! Last Friday there was that book sale again, so we drove from Choctaw for some pre-sale fried chicken. No one inside. No sign. Nothing. We asked one of the locals while we ate at The Stables and they said it was something about a liquor license. I know they'd had beer when we were there last year. Anyone know the story? Thanks.

When Blue Bell closed (again) a couple months ago, it surprised most people. I've heard there's a reputable new owner who can't take possession until existing lease expires sometime in April. That's just hearsay, far as I know.

ctchandler
02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
When Blue Bell closed (again) a couple months ago, it surprised most people. I've heard there's a reputable new owner who can't take possession until existing lease expires sometime in April. That's just hearsay, far as I know.

Boscorama,
Interesting, I just received a Groupon email yesterday with a Blue Belle Saloon & Grill coupon, so I assume they are now open again?
C. T.

harp23
02-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Drove by there last Saturday night. They were still closed then. The back dining room had a lot of junk in the way where tables and chairs would normally be set up. I currently have a $40.00 dollar Groupon and a $25.00 gift card that I probably will never be able to use. Lucky me.

boscorama
02-19-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't know about Groupons but it'd be real bad PR for new owners to not honor them. I'll let you know when I hear more.

RadicalModerate
02-20-2015, 08:55 AM
I honestly have a hard time with why the Blue Belle Saloon is constantly having all these sorts of problems. Perhaps the only logical explanation is that it is haunted by the ghost of Tom Mix. And he ain't happy for some reason. When I worked in Guthrie I had several opportunities to enjoy the ambiance and hospitality of the Blue Belle. Actually even ate there once. Maybe it just ain't trendy enough to attract a sufficient number of Neo-Hipsters instead of Former Beatnik Hippies.

harp23
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
I had a conversation this summer with the owner and she said they wanted to sell mixed drinks (they have beer and wine) but if I understood correctly because of historical codes and the way the restaurant fronted the street they were not able to do so. She said they were working with the owner of the building to put in a new entrance or design of the building to allow them to do so.

boscorama
04-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Windows of Blue Belle now sporting For Rent signs :(

If you're planning a day in Guthrie during 89er's week, be mindful that not only is the Blue Belle closed, but also Boneyard.