View Full Version : West Virginia Beat Down

Just the facts
10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
The West Virginia/Texas Tech game shows what happens when a team goes from a bad conference to a good conference. Having to play a quality opponent every weekend is a lot harder than only having to play 2 or 3 big games a season. If West Virginia was still in the Big East they would be playing for a National Championship and have a Heisman winner. Instead, they got slobber knocked by Tech.

We will see how they bounce back, if they bounce at all. They easily could hit the floor with a thud, and stay there. Their next five games are KSU, TCU, at OSU, OU, and at Iowa St. They could lose all 5 and not even be bowl eligible until the final game of the season vs. Kansas.

Hawk405359
10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
What it shows most of all is that that is not a team that can play if they get down. They're offense only, they can't fight back because they can't really stop anyone with any regularly.

Even OSU last year was pretty good at forcing turnovers. WVU has no semblance of defense.

Snowman
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
What is a bit ironic in this game is WVU plays more like the teams from TT's past decade than TT is.

Just the facts
10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
What it shows most of all is that that is not a team that can play if they get down. They're offense only, they can't fight back because they can't really stop anyone with any regularly.

Even OSU last year was pretty good at forcing turnovers. WVU has no semblance of defense.

Yes, but if all they had to play was Big East schools they don't need a defense. Here is who they would have been playing this year in conference

Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
USF
Temple

They could walk through that schedule with their eyes closed. Instead, they got a huge black eye on Saturday.

BTW - Tech fans, stop running on the field. Act like you have won a game before and that winning isn't so shocking that you have run on the field in celebration.

Hawk405359
10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh most definitely. The Big East is a joke, any slightly above average team could win that pretty easily.

It's probably good for WVU to not get embarrassed in the NC game, as they probably would have playing the best SEC team.

dcsooner
10-14-2012, 03:57 PM
The West Virginia/Texas Tech game shows what happens when a team goes from a bad conference to a good conference. Having to play a quality opponent every weekend is a lot harder than only having to play 2 or 3 big games a season. If West Virginia was still in the Big East they would be playing for a National Championship and have a Heisman winner. Instead, they got slobber knocked by Tech.

We will see how they bounce back, if they bounce at all. They easily could hit the floor with a thud, and stay there. Their next five games are KSU, TCU, at OSU, OU, and at Iowa St. They could lose all 5 and not even be bowl eligible until the final game of the season vs. Kansas.

They could also just as easily beat the crap out of OU depending on which OU team shows up. I would caution against getting too haughty over beating a young Texas Team

Just the facts
10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes, WVA could come back and run the table but I take it you aren't a College Game Day viewer. The national college football media already awarded the Heisman to Gino Smith (I think it was Mark May on Satruday that said they should give him the trophy now). One of the on-going discussion in college football is if teams that have good records but play in midlevel conference could continue with those good records if they had to play in a better conference. For example, in any give season is the 3rd place PAC-12 team better than Boise St. What WVA does this season will go a long ways towards answering that question. If they were still in the Big East they very well could play for a NC. In the Big XII 6-6 is not out of the question.

ljbab728
10-14-2012, 09:56 PM
They could also just as easily beat the crap out of OU depending on which OU team shows up. I would caution against getting too haughty over beating a young Texas Team

Maybe I missed something but I saw no evidence that Kerry was making any references to getting haughty about anything concerning OU. I would say that WV and Texas have exhibited similar traits on defense but you're correct that humility is only a week away as WV found out.

dcsooner
10-15-2012, 05:57 AM
Maybe I missed something but I saw no evidence that Kerry was making any references to getting haughty about anything concerning OU. I would say that WV and Texas have exhibited similar traits on defense but you're correct that humility is only a week away as WV found out.

So could OU against ND, WV, OSU, ISU or TCU

Just the facts
10-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Let me clear it up, I am not talking about OU. I am asking if West Virginia will answer the age old question if a team with a good record that switches to a solid conference can continue winning. When Miami was independent they produced 3 national championships. Then they moved to the Big East and won 2 more. Then they moved to the ACC and thud - and the ACC is a suspect conference itself.

Bellaboo
10-15-2012, 08:22 AM

So could OU against ND, WV, OSU, ISU or TCU

Sure, you also predicted that OU would take a beatdown from Texas...................Notre dame is probably going to get their first beatdown in a couple of weeks the way it looks. We'll see.

bluedogok
10-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I would caution against getting too haughty over beating a young Texas Team
That was their excuse for the past few seasons, it doesn't really apply to this years team. Especially the defense as they are mostly juniors and seniors (2-SO, 7-JR, 2-SR) and most of their sophomores have played a bunch last season.

Just the facts
10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
I guess just like every news article in the paper comes down to Obama/Romeny sucks, every thread in the sports section comes down to OU sucks/doesn't suck.

dankrutka
10-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Let me clear it up, I am not talking about OU. I am asking if West Virginia will answer the age old question if a team with a good record that switches to a solid conference can continue winning. When Miami was independent they produced 3 national championships. Then they moved to the Big East and won 2 more. Then they moved to the ACC and thud - and the ACC is a suspect conference itself.

I actually think it has more to do with the teams than the conference. For example, this West Virginia loss is very similar to what happened to them annually in the Big East... They'd get ranked high and then lose to some crappy team. Of course, playing in the Big 12 leaves less room for error, but if you have a good team you can join a major conference and do well. TCU has lost about half its team to suspensions and crushed Baylor this past weekend. They could have legitimately competed for the Big 12 title with all their players IMHO. I bet West Virginia loses a couple more, and finishes with a respectable 6-3 conference record.

Just the facts
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Hold on - are you saying a victory over Baylor is a pre-curser to competing for the Big XII title? TCU lost at home to Iowa St 37-23. TCU doesn't win again this year. Well, maybe against Texas.

Ooops - sorry. I misread your post about the suspension. Who knows what they could have done. One thing is for sure though, their Big East record would have been better than their Big XII record.

Just the facts
10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
West Virginia beat-down Part 2. Wholly cow, Kansas St could have won by 100 if they wanted to. I hope Geno Smith didn't start writing that Heisman acceptance speech yet. I shudder to think that if WVA was still in the Big East that they could have actually played for the national championship this season.

Last two games they have been outscored 104-28. I didn't see the Tech game but KSU could have scored any amount they wanted.