View Full Version : Sooners vs Longhorns

Pages : [1] 2 3

MonkeesFan
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I was really hoping that the Longhorns would win today so the Sooners would give them their 1st loss! How about the Sooners give them their 2nd loss? :D

Spartan
10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Texas doesn't look bad.

ljbab728
10-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Texas doesn't look bad.

Their defense does for what was supposed to be one of the better ones in the country.

SoonerBoy18
10-07-2012, 01:50 AM
I was really hoping that the Longhorns would win today so the Sooners would give them their 1st loss! How about the Sooners give them their 2nd loss? :D

Hopefully Texas drop in the rankings, while OU jumps ahead of them, so the trend of the higher ranked team always wins (except for once) can continue in this rivalry :)

venture
10-07-2012, 07:51 AM
This year definitely looks like it will be very close between the two teams. I have to give OU a slight edge on it coming off a win and getting some great pointers (courtesy of WVU) on how to beat them. It is all going to come down to the O Line for OU and giving Landry time. If they can keep the run going strong and let Landry relax and pick and throw...they got it. However, Texas can strike very fast and will be pumped as usual. It'll be interesting.

venture
10-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Hopefully Texas drop in the rankings, while OU jumps ahead of them, so the trend of the higher ranked team always wins (except for once) can continue in this rivalry :)

Mixed blessing. If OU can come together they could find their way back in the BCS hunt. They have good players that can be great if they all work together. Of course it would be better if Texas had won and then we could beat WVU later. It is interesting to see Jerry Palm saying WVU will go to the title game now...even though I don't see them escape the Big 12 schedule.

dcsooner
10-07-2012, 11:11 AM
this is going to be a beatdown of overrated ou by texas. wv and nd as well

dankrutka
10-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I've watched almost all the games for both teams, and this looks like a pretty even match up. We'll see who, as Stoops says, executes. This really is a big game for OU. I think this could make or break their season. Win and you're back in the BCS hunt. Lose and you're probably out of it and staring down an 8-4 season. It comes down to OU's front 7 on D for me. They've been awful except in the 3rd quarter against Tech. They need to play better. Maybe getting Frank Shannon snaps over Wort at LBer could do the trick...

ABryant
10-08-2012, 04:13 AM
I think the game could go either way. I do know that after watching WV this year I am on their bandwagon of crazy football offense . Except when they play OU.

Laramie
10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
This will be another emotional cotton-pickin' game; however, expect the Sooners to be hungry enough to get back in the Big 12 championship-contention picture. Texas is coming off a tough loss and their defense against the run will be tough starting out. They are working on their defense against the run.

Landry is going to have to open up the running game with some quick first down passes...

BoulderSooner
10-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Sooners win by double digits again

dankrutka
10-10-2012, 09:51 PM
OU found out today that Jalen Saunders, a speedy WR transfer from Fresno State, is now eligible. He will play this weekend. It is ridiculous that the NCAA just now ruled on this (costing this kid 4 games), but it will be interesting to what impact he will have. OU was already stacked at WR, probably more so than any other position, but he is a deep threat. I'm sure Texas isn't happy about the timing of this.

ou48A
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
OU found out today that Jalen Saunders, a speedy WR transfer from Fresno State, is now eligible. He will play this weekend. It is ridiculous that the NCAA just now ruled on this (costing this kid 4 games), but it will be interesting to what impact he will have. OU was already stacked at WR, probably more so than any other position, but he is a deep threat. I'm sure Texas isn't happy about the timing of this.

Do you have a link or source to this information? This would be huge news.
This guy is the fastest player on the OU team.
He has speed that very few other football players have. He is also an elusive runner.

venture
10-10-2012, 10:21 PM
He has speed that very few other football players have. He is also an elusive runner.

NCAA clears All-WAC transfer Jalen Saunders to play for Oklahoma, just in time for Texas - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20540028/)

CBS about 2 hours ago. :)

ou48A
10-10-2012, 10:23 PM
THANKS

@OU_Football
Coach Stoops confirms that the appeal of WR Jalen Saunders has been approved by the NCAA. Eligible to play!

@Jake_Trotter
Stoops says Saunders could play this weekend

soonerguru
10-10-2012, 10:41 PM

You're kidding, right? When I read this initially I thought it was snark. What good is the guy going to do us now with zero game experience? F the NCAA.

ljbab728
10-10-2012, 11:05 PM
You're kidding, right? When I read this initially I thought it was snark. What good is the guy going to do us now with zero game experience? F the NCAA.

What a silly comment. So in your opinion, OU would be better off without him?

MonkeesFan
10-11-2012, 05:23 AM

Who cares about speed? The important question is that can he catch?

BoulderSooner
10-11-2012, 06:07 AM

he had over 1000 yards and over 10 TD's last year for fresno st and he is the fastest guy on the team

so1rfan
10-11-2012, 07:15 AM
How I see it: Texas is one overturned call from being 0-2 in conference. Their much ballyhooed defense can't stop a nosebleed. Their offense which was supposed to be terrible is actually pretty decent. Oklahoma whose offense was supposed to be their strength has faltered at times. It goes how Landry goes. Ou's defense may give up yards but they really play much better than people think. OU's starting defense allowed zero touchdowns against UTEP, one against Florida A&M (due to a backup safety being out of position), one against K-State that wasn't the result of a turnover, and one against Texas Tech (the 2nd TD was in garbage time.) Starting defense is actually pretty stout. I give OU the edge because they can make stops. Boomer Sooner. OU by 20.

Roadhawg
10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
this is going to be a beatdown of overrated ou by texas. wv and nd as well

I think this could be called a 'rebuild' year for OK but don't think that will fly since you have a lot of the same players. I think OK could lose to TX, WV and ND and have 4 losses this year.

Bellaboo
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM

He had the option to redshirt this year, but chose to play the rest of this season. He may be the best receiver on the team, and will certainly be the most exciting. Had 6 touchdowns last year over 50 yards.

He's been practicing all year with the team.

onthestrip
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
OU fans are hilarious. Lose to Kstate and its season over, we are losing 5 games. Then beat average tech team and now it's we are pounding Texas and we will go undefeated for rest of season.

MDot
10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
OU fans are hilarious. Lose to Kstate and its season over, we are losing 5 games. Then beat average tech team and now it's we are pounding Texas and we will go undefeated for rest of season.

What you said is true, but I don't think it has been implied yet that OU will win out, some have even expressed concern over beating Texas. At least I haven't taken any comments to mean that.

ou48A
10-11-2012, 09:00 AM

No sane OU fan has said that for this season. For many years several OSU fans masquerading as OU fans have called into WWLS saying silly things that try to make OU fans look bad.

soonerguru
10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
This is a better Texas team than we've faced the last couple of years. I think OU has an edge, but it's going to be a dog fight.

BoulderSooner
10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
This is a better Texas team than we've faced the last couple of years. I think OU has an edge, but it's going to be a dog fight.

this is one of the worst texas D's that we have seen in a decade

ou48A
10-11-2012, 09:41 AM
As Landry goes, so will OU.

To keep the OU defense rested it will be to OU’s advantage to go on as many ball control drives as possible and run the clock. The Texas defense has good players but coaching has been a problem for them. It’s not often been the case in this game but OU has an advantage in the kicking game.

The forecast calls for ......
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. South wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Take your rain gear, drive carefully, and have fun. I plan on it.

MadMonk
10-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't normally try to predict this game, but what the heck, this isn't Vegas. I'm going to say it will be 38-21 Sooners.

soonerguru
10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
this is one of the worst texas D's that we have seen in a decade

You're correct that their run defense is poor. But they do have a very stout defensive line. I know it's unlikely to see a huge change in their performance from last week but changes / tweaks to their run fits could cause us problems. Depends on how good a coach Manny Diaz is (doesn't seem great to me).

If you recall from the WV game, their d-line and LBs were overrunning the pursuit, and WV was just running right by them. Hopefully they don't make adjustments!

OU could win this game handily, but something in my gut tells me it's going to be closer than what we've gotten used to the last couple of years. Hope I'm wrong.

soonerguru
10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
As Landry goes, so will OU.

To keep the OU defense rested it will be to OU’s advantage to go on as many ball control drives as possible and run the clock. The Texas defense has good players but coaching has been a problem for them. It’s not often been the case in this game but OU has an advantage in the kicking game.

The forecast calls for ......
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. South wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Take your rain gear, drive carefully, and have fun. I plan on it.

It's not just Landry. It's also the O-line and receivers. They're all going to have to play a solid game to win.

I liked what I saw from all three units against Tech. They looked pretty polished. That's why I'm a bit concerned about Saunders. How do we work him in now that we've finally found a solid rotation?

Should be a great and memorable game.

onthestrip
10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
No sane OU fan has said that for this season. For many years several OSU fans masquerading as OU fans have called into WWLS saying silly things that try to make OU fans look bad.

I've heard several talk like this year and have seen several in my fb feed say about the same. By as you say, maybe it's some OSU fans that have been masquerading as OU fans all their life...

soonerguru
10-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I've heard several talk like this year and have seen several in my fb feed say about the same. By as you say, maybe it's some OSU fans that have been masquerading as OU fans all their life...

You're suggesting that some football fans are falsely optimistic? Wow, never heard that before. And I've never heard OSU fans say things like "greatest offense on earth" or anything else superfluous and hyperbolic before. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

ou48A
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Going back almost 20 years on air WWLS employees have told me (off air) that OSU fans have called in saying ridiculous or silly things to make OU fans look bad….

They say the station likes it’s because it generates phone calls and the controversy that the station thrives on….. WWLS and particularly Traber has become too much like a Jerry springer show for me to tune into very much.

ou48A
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
You're suggesting that some football fans are falsely optimistic? Wow, never heard that before. And I've never heard OSU fans say things like "greatest offense on earth" or anything else superfluous and hyperbolic before. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

OSU fans are offered a new gimmick virtually every summer by the university’s marketing or athletic department.
Many OSU fans latch on to the new gimmick; however they did a good job of rejecting the silly Cowboys forever song.

I was 7 years old in 1965 the first time I heard that OSU was a team on the rise. To the day I die I will remember laughing.
OSU has recycled team on the rise about 3 times.

onthestrip
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
OSU fans are offered a new gimmick virtually every summer by the university’s marketing or athletic department.
Many OSU fans latch on to the new gimmick; however they did a good job of rejecting the silly Cowboys forever song.

I was 7 years old in 1965 the first time I heard that OSU was a team on the rise. To the day I die I will remember laughing.
OSU has recycled team on the rise about 3 times.
Speaking of gimmicks, you should YouTube "OU anthem." If you haven't already seen it. It makes Cowboys 4ever sound like Hey Jude.

MDot
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Speaking of gimmicks, you should YouTube "OU anthem." If you haven't already seen it. It makes Cowboys 4ever sound like Hey Jude.

That was horrible. I saw that this morning and was honestly speechless in the worst way possible.

dankrutka
10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
He had the option to redshirt this year, but chose to play the rest of this season. He may be the best receiver on the team, and will certainly be the most exciting. Had 6 touchdowns last year over 50 yards.

He's been practicing all year with the team.

Everyone needs to settle down about Saunders. He's a nice pick up, but he's not better than Stills and probably not better than Shepherd.

Roadhawg
10-12-2012, 06:46 AM

That was pretty bad.... I'm going to say it will be a 28-21 game and it can go either way.

Bellaboo
10-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Everyone needs to settle down about Saunders. He's a nice pick up, but he's not better than Stills and probably not better than Shepherd.

Didn't realize anyone was 'worked up' over Saunders. Guess you haven't seen his highlight reel ?

Snowman
10-12-2012, 07:52 AM

While the top three results for that were all bad, they were all fan made songs, which tend to bemore misses than hits

dankrutka
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Didn't realize anyone was 'worked up' over Saunders. Guess you haven't seen his highlight reel ?

A lot of people seem to think he'll be the difference on Saturday, but he's going to have to crack the deepest position on the team. Several people have gotten worked up over him on this thread and elsewhere. I have seen his highlights. He's good, but I'd just keep the expectations in check until he does something.

Spartan
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Huh???

Care to shed any more light on this grand conspiracy of yours?

ljbab728
10-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Huh???

Care to shed any more light on this grand conspiracy of yours?

Actually I have heard the same idea from some of the WWLS people. They think fans of both OU and OSU do that occasionally.

Hawk405359
10-13-2012, 11:16 AM
It'd be pretty easy too. Call up under a silly moniker and say some outlandish things to rile people up. A radio version of trolling, so to speak. I imagine there are people who do it pretty regularly for a lark, especially against Traber.

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Sooners win by double digits again

Looks like you are going to be right, good call and I am not complaining about that! I am so enjoying this! :D

Hawk405359
10-13-2012, 11:57 AM
In the first half, Texas has 65 yards and OU has 407.

I'm pretty sure Texas has fewer yards than Florida A&M had in their first half against OU.

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
In the first half, Texas has 65 yards and OU has 407.

I'm pretty sure Texas has fewer yards than Florida A&M had in their first half against OU.

Would be nice to see the Sooners have over 1,000 yards but I think it is impossible though

venture
10-13-2012, 12:12 PM
This OU team needs to stick around for the rest of the year. :)

venture
10-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey there is the Landry we all love. LOL

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey there is the Landry we all love. LOL

I can not wait until Landry is gone, he is overrated

BBatesokc
10-13-2012, 01:05 PM

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Love this!

BlackmoreRulz
10-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Why is Jones still in the game?

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Because he wants to score over 50 points

Hawk405359
10-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Bob Stoops is a very charitable person. He wants to give Texas a chance at more points.

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 01:42 PM
And he did! :D

kevinpate
10-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Love this!

I think maybe somewhere someone's mama isn't all that proud of her.

Hawk405359
10-13-2012, 02:03 PM
21-63 and somehow the final score still didn't illustrate how big of a route it was.

MonkeesFan
10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
21-63 and somehow the final score still didn't illustrate how big of a route it was.

It is still a big route