View Full Version : Historical Importance

Karried
06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Once again, someone had something negative to say about OK on the travel board but it got me thinking, does Oklahoma take a lot of interest in Historical preservation - I think with all of the districts wanting to preserve historical homes, that would seem that the state is very active in that regard. I found these sites. What do you think?

http://www.ok-history.mus.ok.us/

http://www.criteriongroup.org/index.html

okcpulse
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Karrie, you brought up some very good points about Oklahoma's interest in historic preservation. There are a countless number of towns in Oklahoma entering in mainstreet programs. The capital of historic preservation in our state is Guthrie, with its well-preserved historic downtown.

Guthrie would be one of Oklahoma's "cool" towns to visit. Unfortunately, Guthrie is for the most part impoverished.

In any case, Karrie, I wouldn't put much stock in travel boards. Those are based in visitor experience, not expert advice. What some of these posting members don't realize is that Oklahoma's urban history only goes back to the 1890's. Many other states have a century on us. There's nothing that can be done. I used to read these travel boards closely, but there was just too much jargon for me to stay interested.

BDP
06-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's something interesting for you guys. A little personal anecdote. My wife is from northern California and her parents group up in Los Angeles. My wife and I live in OKC now, her parents live in Vegas. Her parents have been talking about retiring and maybe getting a smaller house and maybe another house. When my father in-law asked my mother-in-law where she would want another house, she said OKC. Why? She said she didn't want to live in CA again, and that some parts of OKC reminded her of where they lived in Northern California, in that it had nice trees, nice neighborhoods, and small community things to do.

This is interesting because these things are what OKC is criticized for not having. Now, my wife and I live in a historic neighborhood. We hang out in the Paseo, on Western, and downtown for the most part. So, when her mom comes to OKC, that's pretty much what she sees and experiences. The end result is that she regards OKC as a nice historical and communal place to live with fun activities. Granted, her daughter lives her, but she has family in LA, San Jose, Fresno, and other places she could live also.

Now, obviously, there is a lot of OKC, most of it in fact, that is very different from her experiences, but it shows that not only are there historical and interesting areas of the city with which to impress and attract visitors, but one can easily build a life around those things as well. And, often, when one visits a city that has well designated districts and tourist sites, the visitors only experience those things and are shielded from some of the more, let's say, mundane or common aspects of the area. It is not entirely out of the question that OKC could so the same thing.

I think it goes back to another thread about promoting more of the city than just downtown and bricktown to visitors. Whether they actually buy property in OKC or not, my mother in laws reasons for possibly wanting to do so just reinforced to me that OKC can be sold as everything it is criticized for not having, if just the city would realize what it has and actually help visitors experience it all.

Diogenes
06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
I am a member of the Oklahoma Historical Society and I know that Oklahoma is very good with perserving Oklahoma's historical areas; however I believe the average Oklahoman is somewhat lacking in historical knowledge about the state. Oklahoma history is weird because we haven't been a state long, but that doesn't deprive us of history. Oklahoma was Indian Territory and many parts of Eastern Oklahoma are very rich in history. Personally, I am frustrated to hear of Oklahomans-particularly middle aged and young Oklahomans, who know little or nothing about our state's history.

Doug Loudenback
06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I am a member of the Oklahoma Historical Society and I know that Oklahoma is very good with perserving Oklahoma's historical areas; however I believe the average Oklahoman is somewhat lacking in historical knowledge about the state. Oklahoma history is weird because we haven't been a state long, but that doesn't deprive us of history. Oklahoma was Indian Territory and many parts of Eastern Oklahoma are very rich in history. Personally, I am frustrated to hear of Oklahomans-particularly middle aged and young Oklahomans, who know little or nothing about our state's history.
Well, then, Diogenes, how about giving us some links and educate us ... before or after Indian Terrtory!

Doug

windowphobe
06-08-2005, 05:17 PM
The Criterion Group, to its credit, considers central Oklahoma City to be anywhere within the old Grand Boulevard loop, which presumably means that they have some concerns on the southside (as far as 36th, anyway) in addition to the usual historic districts north of the river that get most of the attention.

The problem with our historic districts, though, is once you venture out of them, who knows what sort of stuff you're going to find? For the most part, the HDs and the Urban Conservation Districts tend to be isolated from one another. (I live in a UCD myself.)

TheHill
06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Windowphobe, what do you mean, the Criterion Group "have some concerns on the southside (as far as 36, anyway)". Would you elaborate?

Pete
06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
OKC is famous for it's poor judgment in adopting and enacting the Pei Plan without thinking through the consequences of leveling many blocks of historical buildings. At the time (60's & 70's) this approach was all the rage in 'urban development' but it has proven to be a very bad idea. Once historical structures are gone, there is no turning back.

However, it seems we've learned from our mistakes, although there will always be some exceptions.

The city was very wise to offer St. Anthony's all kinds of incentives to stay in Midtown, as that area's recovery is the key to a link between OKC's most historic neighborhoods and downtown.

windowphobe
06-09-2005, 06:34 PM
It's not a laundry list of specifics; it's simply that Criterion considers its purview, as an organization concerned with historical preservation, to extend that far south.

From their Web site:

"In 1910, Oklahoma City developed a comprehensive plan to enhance the quality of life for its residents. A portion of that plan involved the construction of a grand boulevard to ring the city. Over time, this loop served as a significant landmark for construction and development of the city. Today, the remainder of this loop serves as a significant collector of the city’s historic resources. The Criterion Group, Inc. was formed in response to the loss of significant resources and inappropriate development within this historic loop."

One project they've been working on is getting some of the earlier OKC public school buildings onto the National Register.