View Full Version : Quite Suspicious?

bucktalk
09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
I recently posted a truck I was selling on Craigslist. The truck was a 3rd vehicle - a clunker. I listed it for $2500.00. Within a few hours I had 5 serious inquiries. What was suspicious was all 5 potential buyers had a mexican dialect and assured me they would pay cash! So I'm somewhat suspicious how all five inquires had that much cash and could barely speak English. Maybe just coincidence? Would you be suspicious?

Pete
09-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Lots of people get paid in cash, especially if they are doing manual labor.

What have you got to lose by taking cash?

LandRunOkie
09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I've never been taken advantage of on craigslist.. only thing I can tell you is maybe your asking price is too low..

JayhawkTransplant
09-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Not the least bit suspicious. There are plenty of Spanish-speaking people buying cars. Do you think they don't buy cars? And many people who use Craigslist pay in cash. It's easier.

Buy a marker that you can mark the bills with to ensure they aren't fake. I advise you to do that with any cash buyer, regardless of whether their primary language is English. You can get them for 3 bucks at an office supplies store.

kevinpate
09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
If you are concerned about taking cash, or being near a stranger, even on neutral ground, with cash, nothing says you can't have them bring it as money orders.

If it is the fact they offer to pay cash, not unusual at all. Your situation may be nothing more than even sight unseen some folks are thinking your clunker can be flipped for a profit.

Easy180
09-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Lot of Hispanics prefer to deal with everything in cash so don't be surprised at all

WilliamTell
09-30-2012, 06:28 AM
i can understand your original concern about people paying cash but thats only because we have been conditioned to think that you must go through a bank, get a loan above the amount you can afford, then pay for it with interest and fee's over multiple years making the banks even richer.

atleast the mexicans are showing enough self discipline to save up there money and then buy something. thats something we all used to do.

Midtowner
09-30-2012, 08:58 AM
It's probably because you won't require them to show proof of insurance, whereas a dealership has to.

Pete
09-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Don't you have to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle?

LandRunOkie
09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
I know you do to renew your tag but not sure about registration. You can get a "black tag" without insurance because they're for undriveable vehicles.

Double Edge
09-30-2012, 10:29 AM
You may have priced it too cheap for several reasons, including demand that drives up prices on some models for export to the mexican market. I know that is true for some early Nissan trucks because I sold one for 80% of what I paid for it brand spanking new and after putting nearly 200K+ miles on it. The buyer was a dealer who bought it for that purpose, export. He paid cash too.

I personally would expect cash on most person to person sales that were less than a few thousand dollars.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Lot of Hispanics prefer to deal with everything in cash so don't be surprised at all

Yup. I had one guy show up with $20,000 to buy a truck a couple of years ago. I felt bad for him, because it was 5k less than I would take...But the dude showed up with that much money in his coat pocket. Drove up from Dallas too. I guess he thought that the sight of all that green would make me lose my mind and sell the truck for 10k under book.

A lot of people prefer dealing in cash...Most recent truck I sold (around 8 grand), the guy (not Hispanic) showed up with cash.

BBatesokc
09-30-2012, 11:38 AM
It's probably because you won't require them to show proof of insurance, whereas a dealership has to.

What? I buy cars all the time. I've NEVER had to show proof of insurance.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh, and Double Edge is right too...Used trucks are going for RIDICULOUS prices. Have been for a couple of years. The $8,000 truck I mentioned above, I owned for 3-4 years, put 50-60k miles on it, sold a few parts that were on it (that came with it), and sold it for almost exactly what I'd paid for it. Wound up making a few bucks on it if you count the money I got for the extra set of wheels and the painted to match camper shell that was on it. All I ever did was change the oil and drive it.

blangtang
09-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Right. Most any truck that runs and is sub $5000 will have lots of interest.

kevinpate
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
hmmm, would that apply to suburbans as well. Got an 89, well the body/interior is. Motor is from a 95 silverado IIRC. Drive train is somewhat newer still yet.
maybe it's time to let it go.

bucktalk
09-30-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm very curious to know how many people who are a strict 'cash only' buyer - are at the same time 100% compliant with paying income taxes. I've known a few small home repair guys who deal with cash only and have never filed income tax or at least very limited amount reported on their income tax.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm very curious to know how many people who are a strict 'cash only' buyer - are at the same time 100% compliant with paying income taxes. I've known a few small home repair guys who deal with cash only and have never filed income tax or at least very limited amount reported on their income tax.

Kind of hard to get away from paying the tax on a vehicle.

But yeah, that's why a lot of people do cash only...To either 1) not have to file taxes on their business every quarter because they're lazy and they hate America or 2) So they're still eligible for unemployment/welfare/WIC/etc and they hate America.

soonerguru
09-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I recently posted a truck I was selling on Craigslist. The truck was a 3rd vehicle - a clunker. I listed it for $2500.00. Within a few hours I had 5 serious inquiries. What was suspicious was all 5 potential buyers had a mexican dialect and assured me they would pay cash! So I'm somewhat suspicious how all five inquires had that much cash and could barely speak English. Maybe just coincidence? Would you be suspicious?

No this is common. You're selling a cash car. Many Mexican laborers will save an enormous amount of cash and return to Mexico -- or send money home. They often will buy vehicles here before returning to to Mexico.

Mel
09-30-2012, 09:05 PM
It's cool. take the money and run.

UncleCyrus
09-30-2012, 10:56 PM
I pay cash for most things, including my last three cars. There aren't any shady reasons behind it other than I save for what I want and don't believe in paying a bank to let me use their money.

UncleCyrus
09-30-2012, 10:58 PM
What? I buy cars all the time. I've NEVER had to show proof of insurance.

The last new car I purchased was not released to me by the dealer until I had my proof of insurance in hand.

Snowman
09-30-2012, 11:30 PM
The last new car I purchased was not released to me by the dealer until I had my proof of insurance in hand.

Did you get a loan through the dealer? it might be condition of that.

UncleCyrus
09-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Did you get a loan through the dealer? it might be condition of that.

No, I don't do loans, especially through the dealer.

BBatesokc
10-01-2012, 08:12 AM

I've heard about that law. But I've never had anyone ask. But I mostly buy from smaller lots who I guess don't pay much attention when its a cash sell.

OKCTalker
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Anyone selling something on Craigslist would be wise to accept only cash.

And any seller of a car would be wise to bring a bill of sale to be signed by the buyer, and copy his drivers license information onto the document. The reason being if it is used in a crime before the registration is changed (anything from a parking ticket to vehicular manslaughter), the bill of sale will help prove that you sold it.

kevinpate
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Along those lines, there is no need to rely on the buyer to promptly register the change of ownership. A seller can file a Form 773 with OTC regarding the transfer of the vehicle. the Form 773 is online at http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/773.pdf

Bellaboo
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
What you need more than anything is a signed and dated Bill of Sale. Have 2 copies, one for you and one for him. You both need to sign both copies.

This is just in case he doesn't have insurance and has an accident and hurts or kills someone on the way home or anytime there after.

BBatesokc
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
I never sell a car with the plates still on it. I meet them at the tag office and make them register it then and there or no deal. Can be a pain because they need to make insurance arrangements in advance. But I learned the hard way not to trust that someone will change the registration.