View Full Version : DVR to DVD

Roadhawg
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Is there a way to copy from a DVR to DVD?

BBatesokc
09-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Yes. Several.

The ways I do it are....

1. With a DVD recorder (like your typical old fashioned VHS recorder but for DVD's). Just connect the red, yellow, white from one to the other and hit play on the DVR and record on the DVD. Helps if you also connect your TV so you can monitor it. If it accepts other cables then use those as the resolution will be higher.

2. With a portable DVD recorder. I have two different Sony brand handheld DVD recorders with tiny preview screens built in. One does standard DVDs and the other does Blu-Ray DVDs. Just connect the red, yellow, white cables from the DVR to your portable DVD recorder.

3. Connect a camcorder to your DVR and record the signal. Then connect your camcorder to your computer, download the footage (either from tape or hard drive) and then burn to DVD.

4. I also have two or three other portable media recording devices that connect directly to any audio/video source and record the signal digitally. I then can take the resulting file, put it on my computer and burn a DVD.

5. I also like to use my Elgato EyeTV HD device. Turns your computer into a DVR and will take the recordings and format them for iDevices, DVD, etc.

Roadhawg
09-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info

Just the facts
10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Try DVDFab. I haven't tried what you want to do but it has tons of recording options. I use it to copy movies from DVD to my network drive. It has a full feature 30 day free trial.

DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Copy, DVD Ripper, Blu-ray Ripper Software. Copy DVD, DVDR, Blu-ray Disc to PSP, or iPad/iPhone/iPod. Copy Blu-ray to BD-R, MKV, or Hard Drive for both Windows and Mac. (http://www.dvdfab.com/)

SoonerDave
10-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Do the Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes used by Cox put a downconverted analog signal on the outputs? They specifically had this option in the old firmware, but it was taken out when they upgraded the UI about a year or so ago...have not tried to copy anything across those outputs since.

BBatesokc
10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Do the Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes used by Cox put a downconverted analog signal on the outputs? They specifically had this option in the old firmware, but it was taken out when they upgraded the UI about a year or so ago...have not tried to copy anything across those outputs since.

My Cox SA DVR has analog outputs I use all the time. For connivence I usually output to my digital camcorder, pop out the SD card and put it in my Mac and then use the file to post online or archive.