View Full Version : Banana splits in OKC?

TechArch
09-28-2012, 11:34 AM
My wife and I were wanting to go to a restaurant that serves ice cream and she got me thinking about banana splits. I used to live in Bakersfield, CA and we had an ice cream shop there. Then I lived in Midland, TX and we had a Swensen's near my house. Is there any restaurants in OKC other than Braums or Sonic that serve banana splits?

Martin
09-28-2012, 11:43 AM
marble slab? cold stone creamery? -M

GaryOKC6
09-28-2012, 11:45 AM
marble slab? cold stone creamery? -M

Try Baskin Robins.

kevinpate
09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Denny's on S Meridian maybe? Just guessing. Can't recall the last time I wanted a split, but it was probably on a whim at a Braum's, which doesn't help.

Pete
09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Kaiser's in Midtown is a fantastic spot with homemade ice cream and sundaes. I didn't see a banana split on their menu, though.

Gabriella's has a massive banana split:

http://a2.urbancdn.com/w/s/GZ/AUQuD2o5sRiSv5-640m.jpg

And others may not agree, but Braum's still makes a great one with lots of options.

TechArch
09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I looked up Kaiser's too and noticed that they didn't have a banana split on their menu.

I will have to try Gabriella's for the massive banana split and be sure to take plenty of friends in order to eat it all.

I need to try Braum's, but I feel like Oklahoma City is missing out on not having a good restaurant with an ice cream shop attached that also has a banana split. If Kaiser's starts making a banana split, then that may seal the deal. Maybe the new grocery store at Nichols Hills Plaza will have a eatery inside that offers ice cream as well.

Mel
09-28-2012, 04:50 PM
"Gabriella's has a massive banana split:"

Yeah buddy. That looks good.

ShiroiHikari
09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Sometimes I wish Braum's wasn't the only ice cream option (I don't consider Sonic an option, their "ice cream" kind of sucks). It's not that Braum's does a bad job (in fact I'd argue that ice cream is the ONLY thing they do well these days). I just want to go someplace else sometimes. I'm still crying over the loss of the Norman Marble Slab location, and the Cold Stone at Target is very hit-or-miss.

I'd like to try Kaiser's the next time I'm in the area.

Pete
09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
You should also try some of the frozen custard places.

Basically the same as ice cream but with eggs and often a higher cream content and thus richer.

ShiroiHikari
09-28-2012, 07:28 PM
That's true, I don't know why but I always forget about Rusty's even though I like their custard.

kevinpate
09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Maybe when the Freddie's is built and opens at 24th and Main in Norman it'll be an option for you. Don't know their menu myself.

ShiroiHikari
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Not gonna lie, I'm excited about them coming to Norman. Not looking forward to trying to get in the parking lot though...

Debzkidz
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
My wife and I were wanting to go to a restaurant that serves ice cream and she got me thinking about banana splits. I used to live in Bakersfield, CA and we had an ice cream shop there. Then I lived in Midland, TX and we had a Swensen's near my house. Is there any restaurants in OKC other than Braums or Sonic that serve banana splits?

Freddy's Frozen Custard? I'm not sure if they offer true banana splits, but I know they have some kind of ice cream dish they serve that has bananas. If they didn't have one on the menu, you could always custom build one.

Hey, we must have lived really close to each other in Midland. We lived close enough to Swenson's my kids would ride their bikes to Swensons for ice cream or fries.

TechArch
10-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Freddy's Frozen Custard? I'm not sure if they offer true banana splits, but I know they have some kind of ice cream dish they serve that has bananas. If they didn't have one on the menu, you could always custom build one.

Hey, we must have lived really close to each other in Midland. We lived close enough to Swenson's my kids would ride their bikes to Swensons for ice cream or fries.

I will have to check Freddy's to see if they have a banana split. Yeah I lived in Saddle Club South in Midland. However, that was 12 years ago.

Debzkidz
10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I will have to check Freddy's to see if they have a banana split. Yeah I lived in Saddle Club South in Midland. However, that was 12 years ago.
We lived in Polo Park. Moved away almost 10 years ago.

Larry OKC
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
it isn't listed on their menu, so don't think Freddy's has a banana split per se, BUT bananas are listed as an ingredient option so probably sliced up???

Been to Freddy's a handful of times now and really not impressed. Value for the money isn't there. Overpriced and dried out burgers. Dogs are way over priced etc.

BBatesokc
11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Tried Gabriella's banana split today.... it was huge and probably one of the best I've ever had.