View Full Version : New Central Park for Moore

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jesseda
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Proposed Central Moore Park G.O. Bond Project List | City of Moore (http://www.cityofmoore.com/proposed-central-moore-park-go-bond-project-list) 60 acre central park

mcca7596
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Looks like 50% parking.

Jesseda
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
you just looking at one picture the park will extend all the way from 4th street to 19th street, one mile in length

Martin
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
interesting... seems awfully close to the rail lines, though. -M

Jesseda
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I think there is even plans for amtrak to stop at the park as well, they are putting a depot at the park City of Moore - Proposed Central Moore Park - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFio6rsb7ZM&feature=youtu.be)

Jesseda
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
the park setting it going to be further south just past the farmers market pavilions there has to be parking people lol, plus i think all that stuff is a lot better then what other cities have been planning. Moore is getting a couple NEW parks added to its city.

bille
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
you just looking at one picture the park will extend all the way from 4th street to 19th street, one mile in length
Well, almost to 19th st. Living in Moore I've been wondering what was to become of all that farm land that stretched on that side of the tracks. As soon as I heard about the new park I knew that was the only central location in Moore where it could happen.

interesting... seems awfully close to the rail lines, though. -M
The land runs right up to and along the tracks so yes, you're correct.

The artist rendering does look like it has a lot of parking but knowing how parking sucks at most of the other parks I'm ok with there being 'extra'. Per the ammenities listed there will be a lot included at this one location. I'm excited to see how it all actually pans out of course. With this plan going forward ten years surely things will change, perhaps a lot, by the time everything is done.

Jesseda
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Its going to be just south of downtown. First its new community center, new city swimming pool, plus small city waterpark, amplitheater, new farmers market and city event entertainment area 2 mile walking trail, large pond, lol what more should a small city like ours need. SOME people I guess will never be happy or some people get jealous of moore progressing.

MDot
09-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, no actually. Not usually. Parks are neighborhood assets. They should be accessible to their neighborhood. You don't drive to parks. Well wait, you drive to amusement parks. But not municipal parks and certainly none that use the phrasing "central park".

Words mean less today. You can build a parking lot with trees and call it a central park. Just like you can build a Wal-Mart shopping complex and call it a Town Center.

I have never been to a central park with a massive parking lot like that. It is a beautiful parking lot though. I'll give them that.

Nailed it.

bille
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Over the next five years, not ten...not sure why I was thinking 10 years.

Dubya61
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
It looks like a nice suburban plan for land that otherwise wasn't going to see much use right away. It's a shame that the link only shows the parking lot.

Roger S
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, no actually. Not usually. Parks are neighborhood assets. They should be accessible to their neighborhood. You don't drive to parks. Well wait, you drive to amusement parks. But not municipal parks and certainly none that use the phrasing "central park".

Words mean less today. You can build a parking lot with trees and call it a central park. Just like you can build a Wal-Mart shopping complex and call it a Town Center.

I have never been to a central park with a massive parking lot like that. It is a beautiful parking lot though. I'll give them that.

I "don't" drive to parks? So when I drive to Earlywine Park to use the jogging trail or to South Lakes Park to take advantage of the "Close to Home" fishing program. What did I drive to? I suppose one could say I am driving to South Lakes to be amused but my drive to Earlywine is not for recreational purposes.

I think you are correct in that words mean less today. Perhaps I "should not" drive to a park but I do.

And why is it called a park in the first place if none of us are driving there? Shouldn't it be called a walk? ;)

As a new member of the Moore community I'm happy to see this land being developed as a, well whatever it's going to be called, and I hope it has a nice walking/jogging trail. So I don't have to drive all the way to Earlywine.

As inconsiderate and irresponsible as drivers are these days I do not feel safe walking/jogging or riding my bike along public streets. Even the ones designated as bike routes.

Just the facts
09-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I wonder how many parents are going to let their kids ride their bike to this park.

BoulderSooner
09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I wonder how many parents are going to let their kids ride their bike to this park.

do parents let their kids ride their bikes anywhere??

soonermike
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
First of all, it isnt called Central Park, it is the Central Moore Park, meaning it is the park at or near the center of Moore. Second, it isn't designed to be a neighborhood park, but a destination for the whole community. With the community center, farmer's market, ampitheater, and aquatic center all staged in this location, it's silly to not plan for adequate parking. As it is, many people stay away from activities at Buck Thomas park because of the lack of parking - an issue also to be addressed under a seperate question on the ballot November 6. My only concern is the proximity to the railroad tracks and trains running so close to a play area for children. Also, the noise of a train passing will cause performances in the ampitheater to have to pause, which could be awkward. Overall though, I'm glad to see the city try and do something to improve quality of life to our community.

Roger S
09-26-2012, 01:09 PM
do parents let their kids ride their bikes anywhere??

Only the ones that are trying to correct the harm they've done to the gene pool.

mcca7596
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
First of all, it isnt called Central Park, it is the Central Moore Park, meaning it is the park at or near the center of Moore. Second, it isn't designed to be a neighborhood park, but a destination for the whole community. With the community center, farmer's market, ampitheater, and aquatic center all staged in this location, it's silly to not plan for adequate parking. As it is, many people stay away from activities at Buck Thomas park because of the lack of parking - an issue also to be addressed under a seperate question on the ballot November 6. My only concern is the proximity to the railroad tracks and trains running so close to a play area for children. Also, the noise of a train passing will cause performances in the ampitheater to have to pause, which could be awkward. Overall though, I'm glad to see the city try and do something to improve quality of life to our community.

Oklahoma City's Central park will be a destination for the whole metro and I guarantee you there will be nothing other than streetside parking for it. Weird how Moore's will need so much just to accommodate visitors from within its borders.

soonermike
09-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of surface parking lots within a reasonable walking distance of the Central park in OKC; Moore doesn't have that option. There is nowhere for streetside parking on the roads surrounding this area unless you're going to widen 4th, 19th, or Broadway for the sole purpose of adding parking on busy streets. A parking area is the logical way to go on this. Face it, this is Moore - the epitome of suburb living.

soonermike
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I agree with both of your thoughts Sid. It would be better to have a few small parking lots than one humongous asphalt jungle. I am hoping that the plans include some type of wall along the eastern edge for noise and safety reasons.

G.Walker
09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I live in Moore, and the City of Moore must have been reading my mind. My wife and I were just talking the other day that we hated driving all the way to Earlywine Park for recreational activities, as Moore does not have a recreation campus and it needed one desperately, being that Earlywine Park/YMCA was developed to serve all of Moore and south Oklahoma City, so its very crowded.

With that being said, associated parking is needed to support aquatic center and community/fitness center. The renderings look like it will be an Earlywine Park #2, which is fine by me, as Earlywine Park is a great place to go. I wonder if the YMCA will be the operator of the community/fitness center, hope so!

G.Walker
09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Moreover, I don't know why people get worked up over conceptual renderings. This was clearly mocked up for promotional and voting purposes, its not even a done deal, nor has a architect been chosen. I am sure if the G.O. Bond passes, and architect hired, final plans will be totally different.

jn1780
09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Moreover, I don't know why people get worked up over conceptual renderings. This was clearly mocked up for promotional and voting purposes, its not even a done deal, nor has a architect been chosen. I am sure if the G.O. Bond passes, and architect hired, final plans will be totally different.

True, this whole thread is arguing about a rendering that was just thrown together. The parking was way over done in the rendering. Its about three times the amount at Earlywine. Its largest parking lot is for the YMCA.

Just the facts
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Nothing says health and fitness like driving to a walking path.

s00nr1
09-26-2012, 09:20 PM
This is nothing short of a positive development for Moore on an empty plot of land in the central part of town. Like a previous poster said some people will never be satisfied.

MDot
09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
...Like a previous poster said some people will never be satisfied...

I don't have a huge issue with this development and it's too early to even complain much about it as G. Walker pointed out but it drives me nuts when people say things like "some people will never be satisfied" yet those same people are the one's that suggest things and believe in those things that can -- and will -- better a community. You won't get any true changes or progress if you're satisfied with every proposal or development that takes place on a vacant piece of land.

I'm not picking on this development, but it's no secret that all you have to do in Oklahoma is put make-up on a pig and it's a date (minus a few recent projects). I'm also not picking on you s00nr1 or Jesseda, just trying to make a point.

Snowman
09-26-2012, 10:54 PM
The 'Historic Depot Museum' caught my attention, since there neither seems to be an existing depot there to be historic, nor is there a line item for one to be built. Do they have one they are relocating or is it going to be a recreation of a depot?

Easy180
09-27-2012, 04:21 AM
This should pass pretty easily and be a great addition to our city

Jesseda
09-27-2012, 06:42 AM
The 'Historic Depot Museum' caught my attention, since there neither seems to be an existing depot there to be historic, nor is there a line item for one to be built. Do they have one they are relocating or is it going to be a recreation of a depot?

It was written somewhere that said the historic depot that is going to be relocated to this park was one of the first structures in moore. Moore had a depot that was located on what is now shields blvd. I think they have plans to move the 100 plus year old depot to this park. I know they have it somewhere in moore right now that is out of the public eye, I just do not know exactly where it is.

Just the facts
09-27-2012, 07:06 AM
... but it drives me nuts when people say things like "some people will never be satisfied" yet those same people are the one's that suggest things and believe in those things that can -- and will -- better a community. You won't get any true changes or progress if you're satisfied with every proposal or development that takes place on a vacant piece of land.

This! It isn't like the new urbanist on OKCTalk don't offer ideas or suggestions to improve what is being proposed.

s00nr1
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't have a huge issue with this development and it's too early to even complain much about it as G. Walker pointed out but it drives me nuts when people say things like "some people will never be satisfied" yet those same people are the one's that suggest things and believe in those things that can -- and will -- better a community. You won't get any true changes or progress if you're satisfied with every proposal or development that takes place on a vacant piece of land.

I'm not picking on this development, but it's no secret that all you have to do in Oklahoma is put make-up on a pig and it's a date (minus a few recent projects). I'm also not picking on you s00nr1 or Jesseda, just trying to make a point.

There is a difference between being satisfied with every proposal and being outspoken against all of them. The point of me saying "some people will never be satisfied" was to say that some people will always find something to bitch about regardless of a proposal's overall positive impact to the community. Not pointing any fingers but there are several of these type of posters here. And to call this "putting make-up on a pig" is quite the stretch. Drive by the property in its current state (as I do from my home on SE 4th to work every day) and then look at this proposal and compare the two.

bille
09-27-2012, 09:01 AM
It was written somewhere that said the historic depot that is going to be relocated to this park was one of the first structures in moore. Moore had a depot that was located on what is now shields blvd. I think they have plans to move the 100 plus year old depot to this park. I know they have it somewhere in moore right now that is out of the public eye, I just do not know exactly where it is.

Yep. Actually before this massive parks project got started the plan was to put it back at it's original location on Main St after the new police station is built and that may very well happen too, who knows at this point.
There is a difference between being satisfied with every proposal and being outspoken against all of them. The point of me saying "some people will never be satisfied" was to say that some people will always find something to bitch about regardless of a proposal's overall positive impact to the community. Not pointing any fingers but there are several of these type of posters here. And to call this "putting make-up on a pig" is quite the stretch. Drive by the property in its current state (as I do from my home on SE 4th to work every day) and then look at this proposal and compare the two.

Don't let the haters on FB know there's talk about Moore development happening somewhere they can't come poopoo all over it and bring up a bunch of unrelated stuff. Most of them live in Moore and constantly complain about how crappy of a job the council members/Mayor/etc. are doing. I've lived in Moore my whole life and I think those folks are doing a great job.

Dubya61
09-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Nothing says health and fitness like driving to a walking path.

There's nothing healthy or fit about lying in a ditch after being hit by a car.

MDot
09-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Not disagreeing that people will always complain and there are those type's of posters on here that post regularly. And I guess you completely overlooked the part where I specifically said "I'm not picking on this development" right before the "make-up on a pig" comment; I even started out by saying "I don't have a huge problem with this development". Lord, read what I said before going on the defensive like that.

Jesseda
09-27-2012, 12:42 PM

I like you response....... oh and I was thinking. Almost (cant think of one that doesnt) Every park has a parking area here in Oklahoma. This isnt downtown chicago or new york city this is Moore Oklahoma, I can kinda understand having a large park with little amount of parking space in a downtown Oklahoma City that is ten times larger then moore, but having a 60 acre park that has the city pool,city water park community center, gym, amplitheater,farmers market, museum,, large open field south of where the amphitheater and pond etc and not have any parking for this is kind of a stupid planning. Im glad the city is adding enough parking for all these things

Just the facts
09-27-2012, 02:41 PM

I agree, that is why they would be better served spending their time, money, and effort making Moore walkable, not creating yet another place people have to drive to. That way people who can't drive, for any number of reasons, could also benefit.

Dubya61
09-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree, that is why they would be better served spending their time, money, and effort making Moore walkable, not creating yet another place people have to drive to. That way people who can't drive, for any number of reasons, could also benefit.

Unless you're starting from scratch, though, making Moore more urban and walkable is something done a block or quarter section at at time. For the time being, this park makes good use of land that otherwise wasn't benefiting anybody. Perhaps the creation of the park will encourage someone to develop / redevelop surrounding blocks in a more urban style that better benefits the people and coffers of Moore. For now, this is a good thing for Moore.

Just the facts
09-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Unless you're starting from scratch, though, making Moore more urban and walkable is something done a block or quarter section at at time.

Once again I agree. They should start now. I would start at Main and Broadway and work my way out one block at a time. The depot should go at Main and the railroad so it could actually be used as a train depot, or better yet, as a multi-modal station for a future walkable downtown Moore.

At one time Moore must have had a plan to rebuild downtown because they have a space for updates on their web site. I wonder what happened to the plan.

Stew
09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
This looks like a nice 'get' for Moore.

s00nr1
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Not disagreeing that people will always complain and there are those type's of posters on here that post regularly. And I guess you completely overlooked the part where I specifically said "I'm not picking on this development" right before the "make-up on a pig" comment; I even started out by saying "I don't have a huge problem with this development". Lord, read what I said before going on the defensive like that.

Read what I said before making the judgment that I was even talking about you (because I wasn't other than the pig make-up bit).

Lindsay Architect
09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
I'd say a park in Moore would be a nice addition. It's hard to force a 100 year old metro area into being a careless utopia. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I'm all about pedestrians and the city scape, it 'can' work in downtown, I don't think it can be forced in the suburbs- and it won't work in Moore; but getting people to appriciate real design with development would go a long way. Just don't bet your luck on a rendering when it comes to a bond issue, you never get what you pay for. I don't remember seeing the rendering for MAPS with an elevated "boulevard" and a convention center that will end up being value engneered like the ford center was taking up half of a proposed park! This might be a decent project however, there are probably a lot less bureaucrats in Moore making decisions for designers.

MDot
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Read what I said before making the judgment that I was even talking about you (because I wasn't other than the pig make-up bit).

That's what I referenced...the make-up on the pig comment. I never suggested you said anything else about me...

Dubya61
09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Sid, i love it (your thoughtful response -- the promise it would hold for Moore -- the dialogue you've engaged in and thus encouraged). Well said! What I don't like about your response is that I'm trying to take in all the details on my so-called smart phone without my glasses. If Moore leaders or concerned citizens are reading your reponse, then your time wasn't without gain. I look forward to studying your response later with better vision.

flintysooner
09-28-2012, 10:05 AM
This plan began to develop in 2011 and numerous meetings were held for citizen involvement. This is simply the next step in ascertaining whether or not the citizens want to proceed. The old city pool has been shut in for some time so the idea of the new aquatic center generated high interest.

Also the Moore community is very active in redeveloping the "Old Moore" area including building a new Police Station building at Main and Broadway.

Just the facts
09-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks Flintysooner. That just adds to the mystery why they would try to build such a larger park where they should be focusing on higher density. Parks this size should be further out on the urban fringe.

flintysooner
09-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The Fixed Guideway Study had a station at 4th Street (134th) and the tracks.
http://www.okfgs.org/documents/System%20Plan%2005-1219.pdf

Just the facts
09-28-2012, 12:58 PM
The Fixed Guideway Study had a station at 4th Street (134th) and the tracks.
http://www.okfgs.org/documents/System%20Plan%2005-1219.pdf

Yes - they planned to build a large park and ride lot there, but we know that isn't going to happen now. Plus, the Fixed Guideway Study was done years before Moore decided to rebuild their downtown. Kind of like ODOTs plan for the new boulevard, things changed faster than they could implement their 20 years plan (which used to not be a problem in Oklahoma because very little would change in 20 years).

OkieChick26
09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I grew up in Moore from ages 5-23. If I would have had anything like this when I was growing up it would have been fantastic. I personally think it's an upgrade for Moore and it's a move in the right direction.

bille
10-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I think the rendering is perhaps overcompensation for what seems to be a lack of convenient parking no matter where you go these days. Although parking is being addressed in some of those situations, the idea of parking and walking a couple of blocks is 'absurd'. Supporting infrastructure that turns that 'long, boring walk' into something people want to do would be ideal and I like Sid's idea. That said, a lot of Moore's population lives far enough away that walking isn't realistic at all, at least not walking all the way there. The location of this park will be in a sparsely populated area, of course the same could be said for just about anywhere the proposed location would be. Regardless of where they put it the majority of the people that go to it will have to drive, plain and simple.

Dubya61
10-01-2012, 10:02 AM
The solution isn't huge grand projects, one at a time. It is proper use of the grid in Moore, one block at a time. Which is precisely why I would try to develop this land as follows:

1) Add trees staggered with bollard lighting along the west side of Broadway along the current sidewalk (4th-19th)
This will provide a nicer N/S walking experience for those walking into the park toward one of the several "collector" cross walks on Broadway. Also, people enjoy walking beside green spaces without actually having to enter them. This allows people to just peer in and feel included in the beauty of them. Many people will enjoy the new look of everything on the East side of Broadway but not everyone will want to cross Broadway just to use the trail.

2) Install good crosswalks all along Broadway from 4th to 19th. Signals aren't required. Zebra stripping does wonders to slow traffic down and make them aware of potentially crossing pedestrians. Especially contemporary versions like this (http://www.tcgmn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Ergo-Crosswalk-Project-Makes-Case-For-Altering-Zebra-Stripes-To-Minimize-Road-Accidents-2-500x306.jpg), which actually allows pedestrians to "time" their crossing based on traffic more easily and get safely on across the curb cut quicker. If traffic speeds are an issue here, especially during low-light times of the day, flashing bollards might be as sufficient solution.

3) Add streetside parking on the east side of Broadway from 4th to 19th.

4) Duplicate trees and lighting on east side of Broadway " "

5) Add 12' sidewalks along Broadway from 4th to 19th on the east side of Broadway

6) Plat land along the south side of 4th and then south along Broadways (east side) to Howard. We'd form-based zone this to achieve something along the lines of this (http://www.clarkecatonhintz.com/work/index.php?menu=1&submenu=1§ion=Architecture&category=Affordable+%26+Senior+Housing&pid=04f29a2b47d4fc). An "L" Shaped development that will frame any future park space to the south and not waste really valuable commercial frontage.

7) Plat along Broadway between Howard & 14th for the same reason.

7a) I'd even want to get input from neighbors to see if they would like to see a few batches of townhomes along Broadway to help break up the length of the park and to add more context to it all. They wouldn't need to be deeper than 50' (see the 4th Street Lofts in Deep Deuce, OKC for an example (https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.470949,-97.509898&spn=0.00086,0.001321&t=h&z=20)) This would further use up space along Broadway without destroying the ability for the park to exist and adequately serve the whole neighborhood. It would also generate revenue for the purchase and maintenance of the park. If this did occur, I'd extend the streets across Broadway but they could remain pedestrian only east of Broadway. A narrow "way", if you will, flanked briefly by the new housing along Broadway. Ground floor commercial could also be considered to provide a few amenities to those living in the neighborhood to the west. The new parking along Broadway helps those who don't live nearby still get to these amenities. On the east side (balcony side), there could even be a small corner shop or two that looked out into the park. A charming coffee shop perhaps?

8) Narrow, pedestrian, cycle oriented walkway on the east side of the new development that spans the entire distance from 4th to 19th would be tree lined and would give a buffer the new development and function as the west leg of the new "trail".

Notice we haven't built a park yet. But what we have done is create an incredibly logical and sustainable place for one. Also, a place that people will love to walk to and will be dying to live next to...even before park has been built. If you asked anyone what they would like to see done with this property at this point in the development, they would tell you, a park. Also, how much of the $26M do you think we have spent so far? And we have only used a fraction of the original land.

9) The trail construction would continue around the rest of the property. A typical 12' walkway (trail as we like to call them in the US) tree lined on both sides, with bollard lighting. The kind of place that would be the home to many serious family talks, lighthearted chatting, and plenty of room for exercise.

10) On the east side of the property, a wall would be built to shield the park from the train line.

11) Remaining monies would spent to add two main "play areas". Both with different age appeal. I'd also add one main courtyard in the center with a major piece of artwork. Plenty of seating here and throughout the park among the trees.

12) Future improvements could include a pedestrian bridge over the rail line (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/4589284491/) that would connect hundreds more homes to the park. In fact, two bridges could be constructed and similar type of park space could be added on the east side of the rail line which would dramatically increase the size of the park.

Major future conceptual options could include adding a large body of water or fountain. I'd really like to render something up or spend more time to talk about all the little details that could go into making this park a cherished (and sustainable) asset for the community of Moore for generations to come but I'm actually first more interested in hearing thoughts on this type of approach.

Sid, this was an incredibly well thought out plan. If the people of Moore were thinking they needed an aquatic recreation center (if that was the main purpose of this park), that could also go in the park, right? If the absence of the Farmer's Market is a real issue, that could be something done in the Warren Theatre Parking Lot, I think. You're comments were spot on. Moore doesn't need to be stuck in the suburb mindset. I see other threads on OKC Talk that have other cities wanting to escape the suburb mindset, too. Norman (high density living thread), Edmond (ideas for Edmond), Midwest City (thinking about their own MAPS tax), and this one for Moore. It's great to see these cities (or at least their concerned citizens on OKC Talk) look at ideas that might harken back to a time when they weren't so much under the OKC shadow and wanted to forge their own future. This would be a HUGE step for Moore to undertake. I hope somehow, the leaders get wind of these ideas.

rxis
10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
The cost for Central Moore Park is going to be levied on property owners. Home owners should expect a $48 annual increase in property tax per $100,000 in assessed value. As home owners, do you think you would be satisfied with having to pay this fee annually?
Is it not possible to increase or enact participant fees?

I have used the Buck Thomas Park for its baseball/softball facilities for many years and I have always wondered why the participants and tournament organizers don't pay more of their share of the costs.

Easy180
10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
No problem with the increase rxis as these enhancements will surely enhance my home's value come selling time

sharpshooter
10-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Like the idea of a new central park but don't like the cost. At least not right now. The city is flush with money right now due to increased sales tax revenue from economic development. Let's get our new park, but let's do it gradually...over time......without raising property taxes. Not a popular idea in our "gotta have it now" society.

And....don't ya just love it any time a city uses the term "temporary" sales tax. If approved, the "temporary" tax will expire in 5 years, but then there'll be another project that needs done. The city leaders will want us to approve an extension of the sales tax. They'll tell us that you're already used to paying it so you wont feel a thing. Always happens that way. Once they get their hooks in ya, they wont want to let go.

bille
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Like the idea of a new central park but don't like the cost. At least not right now. The city is flush with money right now due to increased sales tax revenue from economic development. Let's get our new park, but let's do it gradually...over time......without raising property taxes. Not a popular idea in our "gotta have it now" society.

And....don't ya just love it any time a city uses the term "temporary" sales tax. If approved, the "temporary" tax will expire in 5 years, but then there'll be another project that needs done. The city leaders will want us to approve an extension of the sales tax. They'll tell us that you're already used to paying it so you wont feel a thing. Always happens that way. Once they get their hooks in ya, they wont want to let go.

This is why they also made a point to display all the other other citites that have a higher rate as well as a couple with a lower rate. I agree though, once we pass it it'll be here to stay.

rxis
11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I haven't thought much into it, but it seemed like the cities in the proposal didn't concur with Moore's demographic profile.

Well, looks like the park will be here soon.
I was split in the decision due to the high cost it will incur on my families in Moore and now I can't help but feel "buyers remorse." My current neighbors and former neighbors (both in Moore) were for the most part against the park, but maybe this will be a positive addition to the Moore community that can benefit us all.

Just the facts
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
As with anything, construction is only a part of the expense. I'm not sure how much money Moore spends today for maintenance on this parcel of land but whatever it is, it will be a lot more in a few years.

krisb
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Is this a joke? What are all the people in those cars going to do when they get there?

Just the facts
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Is this a joke? What are all the people in those cars going to do when they get there?

No joke. They are going to walk around in a big circle with their car being both the origin and destination of the walking tour. Oh, and a water park that will be usable for 4 months a year.

Plutonic Panda
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
It's amazing how negative people are sometimes. I know multiple people in Moore who are glad that this is happening. I think it is a very nice addition to Moore. As I am an advocate for cars, commenting on the walkability part of it would be bias for me, so I won't. Regarding the water park. If it is closed 4 months out of the year, that means it will be open 8 months out of the year.

Jesseda
11-08-2012, 05:26 AM
I am glad the propostion one passed, we need a new community center and we need a city pool and rec area. I am glad that propostiton 2 passed, hopefully they actually spend some of that money on the girls softball fields which looks like something from a 3rd world country compared to the boys side.

flintysooner
11-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Is this a joke? What are all the people in those cars going to do when they get there?Maybe they'd use the aquatic center or maybe shop at the farmers' market or maybe attend a function at one of the pavillions or maybe attend an event at the amphitheater or maybe walk or run on the marked trail or perhaps meet others to bike or run as a group or perhaps some of the various car club folks will meet there on occasion. And there are probably other uses that have been discussed but these are the ones I remember. Other than that though I guess there's not so much.