View Full Version : How to find out a company's insurer?

UncleCyrus
09-23-2012, 01:52 PM
How would one find out who a company is insured with? I would think there is some type of state register, or is this even public knowledge?

BBatesokc
09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
How would one find out who a company is insured with? I would think there is some type of state register, or is this even public knowledge?

Sue the company - then they will turn it over to their insurance carrier, then you'll know.

I'm self-employed and have two different insurance carriers for two different businesses (video work and PI work) - but I highly doubt you could come up with my carrier's name(s) or even my coverage.

UncleCyrus
09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I am trying to avoid a lawsuit if at all possible.

kevinpate
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Many time litigation is avoidable. Sometimes not.

I am presuming that:
(a) you feel you've been wronged in some manner
(b) you feel the business is responsible
(c) your perspective is not a secret you've withheld from the business

They may suggest you go apply repeated firm pressure to tiny grains of earth near the waterfront, or they may simply tell you.

UncleCyrus
09-24-2012, 10:18 PM
a, b, and c are all correct.

BBatesokc
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
I've gotta think most companies are not just going to hand over the name of their insurer to some annoyed customer or Joe Public. If you have an issue worth pursuing then I'd suggest having an attorney inquire upon your behalf. Other than creating a public record, filing a lawsuit is no big deal and is often simply a required administrative action to put the other party on notice and begin the process of arbitration. Really depends on what type of action you are considering pursuing, IMO.

kevinpate
09-25-2012, 09:22 AM
The vast majority of such matters never see a courthouse or even have any documents filed of record. That's a good thing. The court dockets are not exactly barren,a nd are not likely to get that way any time soon.

Irrespective of whether it is an injured person inquiry or an attorney making inquiry on that person's behalf, someone is generally going to seek to have a discussion with an adjuster for the other side's insurance company. That can happen after a suit is filed of course, but will often take place well before it is necessary to make the yes/no decision to actually file an action.

A company may or may not be at fault for a harm caused. It's rarely ever the owner/manager who makes that decision, unless it is a self-insured situation.

OKCTalker
09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Why would insurance underwriter's identity make any difference, unless yours is a huge liability issue. Even then...

If you feel that you've been wronged by a company - depending upon the specifics - you should probably first seek redress directly from them. If you're still unsatisfied, discuss with an attorney. If he agrees that this rises to the level of potential litigation, he'll write a letter seeking satisfaction of some kind (again - depending upon your specific problem) and threaten to pursue all legal remedies. If that doesn't work and you & your lawyer decide to move forward, sue them. The company may or may not file an insurance claim and subrogate - it's up to them, their underwriter, and the terms of their policy.

Incidentally, companies purchase all types of insurance from all types of underwriters. Liability, property & casualty, work comp, vehicles, etc.

Pete
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I think even if there was a lawsuit brought against a company you would probably still not know who is providing their insurance.

Often, an insurance company hires outside attorneys when needed, so that's likely who you'd be dealing with. The insurance company may be paying his or her bills, but you would probably never even know that.

And I agree, it probably shouldn't matter who carries their insurance.

UncleCyrus
09-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I've gotta think most companies are not just going to hand over the name of their insurer to some annoyed customer or Joe Public. If you have an issue worth pursuing then I'd suggest having an attorney inquire upon your behalf.

Our attorney has been in contact with their attorney, but it has been like talking to a brick wall. Their property adjoins ours, so I have attempted every effort to settle this in a neighborly fashion with no positive results. We will probably just have to move to to be done with this mess.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

BBatesokc
09-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Our attorney has been in contact with their attorney, but it has been like talking to a brick wall. Their property adjoins ours, so I have attempted every effort to settle this in a neighborly fashion with no positive results. We will probably just have to move to to be done with this mess.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I personally would not consider it 'un-neighborly' to file a lawsuit if you have exhausted every other means - especially if you're just seeking a ruling to clarify an issue and not some huge damage amount over something petty.

But I know where you are coming from by not even wanting to deal with it. We were putting an offer in on a home downtown but withdrew it when we got into it with the neighbor during an inspection. It was one of those old homes downtown with a shared driveway leading to your own garage in the back. The wouldbe neighbor came out and promptly told us "for the last 5 years I had a deal with the previous owner. She could use the driveway to park her car and I'd use the street. Now its my turn to use the driveway and I just wanted to let you know in advance."

Of course I laughed and said "I don't think so." Reminded him there is plenty of law on my side - but he said "that'll take awhile to settle, I had a deal and if you tow my vehicle I'm gonna sue."

While the law was on my side and I love a good fight, I really dreaded the idea of living next to a bat sh*t crazy neighbor. So, needless to say, we are still looking.

kevinpate
09-30-2012, 10:02 AM
... I really dreaded the idea of living next to a bat sh*t crazy neighbor. So, needless to say, we are still looking.

Canna blame ya one bit. Been blessed with great neighbors the vast majority of my life. Sure hope my neighbors have always felt the same. :)

There were two exceptions, and both were short-lived. As in they moved or I moved, not that the problems ended with me walking out of the woods alone to a truck on a deserted forest service road in the middle of the night.

Although, it's rather possible such imagery was occasionally inferred by would be suitors of my daughter back in her teen years.