View Full Version : Is Core 2 Shore still in the cards?

bchris02
09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Its been nearly a decade since people started talking about Core 2 Shore. Is it still in planning? If so, what will be included?

betts
09-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I always thought C2S was going to be primarily private development. I don't see much happening until the north portion of the park is complete, but with all the land available for development, I'd be shocked if it didn't happen. Who wouldn't want to live park side?

Snowman
09-22-2012, 12:04 PM
It is only planning for development south of Reno, several of the public features of it are coming up in projects. The Skydance Bridge/pedestrian spine with i40 being relocated and the central park, transit hub & new convention center in maps3. There has also been some work to acquire land to facilitate private development along the park edges. Even if most of it does happen it probably will be over the course of several decades.

CaptDave
09-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I think C2S residential development will begin when the park is complete or nearly complete. The original concept was very good so I hope the reality is close to the "dream". I am watching to see what happens. I wouldn't mind a townhouse or small bungalow in that area.

I think retail may follow once residential gets started - normal stuff like a grocery store (Uptown Grocery is the image I have), and maybe in a HUGE stretch we could somehow convince Target to build one of their urban stores between the park and Farmer's market some day. Hopefully the boulevard will eventually be lined with residential and local retail / commercial mixed use developments.

I think we may see redevelopment move westward along the north side of I40 toward the Farmer's Market before anything happens south of I40. This is why I think getting the boulevard right is critical. The Farmer's Market District could be a very neat area if given a chance.

Then add in the prospect of the streetcar system running through these areas. Easy access to CBD, Midtown, and OU HSC in bad weather and close enough to walk when it is nice. If you can't tell, I am a big-time OKC optimist/cheerleader. I am excited about the future of the city and C2S should be a large part of that future.

Praedura
09-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Is Core 2 Shore still in the cards?

Yes... but it's a loaded deck.
:wink:

CaptDave
09-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Is Core 2 Shore still in the cards?

Yes... but it's a loaded deck.
:wink:

I was trying to avoid that part of it. ;)

bchris02
09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
From what I've seen of Core 2 Shore, its the kind of new urbanism development OKC has needed for a long time. I hope retail and a grocery store like Uptown Grocery is a part of it.