View Full Version : Wild 104.9

bchris02
09-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I know a lot of people aren't into Top 40, but for those who are, has anybody noticed KKWD Wild 104.9 going downhill fast lately? They used to be the best station in OKC and better than stations in several other cities. Now, they sound like a crappy, outdated small-market Top 40 playing songs everyone else, even KJ, was playing 6 months to a year ago. I was a big fan of the station back when it was Wild 97.9 and its sad to see it in the shape its in. It's ratings have also tanked down to a 2.2 share. For years they beat KJ out in the ratings despite their weak signal. I wonder if Cumulus is about to pull the plug and change formats because they obviously aren't even trying to compete.

MDot
09-22-2012, 12:43 AM
I've noticed it. I always try and give them "another shot" but it isn't meant to be. For me, even though the signal is weak in some places around the city, 103.5 is what I listen to most of the time nowadays.

bchris02
09-22-2012, 09:21 AM
I've noticed it. I always try and give them "another shot" but it isn't meant to be. For me, even though the signal is weak in some places around the city, 103.5 is what I listen to most of the time nowadays.

Same here. Power 103.5 is the closest OKC has to what Wild used to be. It's unfortunate their signal is so weak.

windowphobe
09-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Power 103.5 is the closest OKC has to what Wild used to be. It's unfortunate their signal is so weak.

The end result of FCC spacing requirements. The 103.5 tower is out towards Anadarko, that being the original city of license.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KVSP&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

JayhawkTransplant
09-23-2012, 09:37 AM
I have only lived here 3 years, but 104.9 and 102.7 are pretty much the same station to me, music-wise. 104.9 seems to play a few edgier songs, and 102.7 plays a lot more teenybopper stuff, but there have been so many times I've noticed the same song playing on both station at the same time. The DJs on 104.9 are WAY better, though.

I love 103.5, and I am glad to see others on here feeling the same. I hate that the signal is so weak here, though.

I wish we had a decent alternative station here. Everyone in my office streams the Kansas City one at work...surely we could support one here...

Larry OKC
10-01-2012, 11:37 AM
104.9? Didn't that used to be a Jimmy Swaggart owned station back in the day (the Light 105), that eventually switched over to Sports talk???

disinfected
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
One thing they do have on 102.7 is that the songs aren't sped up to fit more songs in. 102.7 sounds like the Chipmunk station.

Haven't listened to either in awhile though, since the car has Sirius XM.

SoonerDave
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
104.9? Didn't that used to be a Jimmy Swaggart owned station back in the day (the Light 105), that eventually switched over to Sports talk???

Yes. 104.9 was the original SportsAnimal, which moved to 98.1 a while back. Actually knew one of the ladies that worked at the old station back when it was a Christian music station, which is irrelevant here..

bchris02
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
One thing they do have on 102.7 is that the songs aren't sped up to fit more songs in. 102.7 sounds like the Chipmunk station.

Haven't listened to either in awhile though, since the car has Sirius XM.

Wild 104.9 actually used to speed up the songs when Citadel owned it. When Cumulus tweaked the format to shift the focus to older music they also stopped pitching it. I would rather listen to a pitched station that played decent music than the same old "most overplayed hits of 2010" that Wild plays.

disinfected
10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm surprised how spoiled I got with Satellite radio. I cringe when I have to take a rental and get the regular radio back.

OKCisOK4me
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Same here. Power 103.5 is the closest OKC has to what Wild used to be. It's unfortunate their signal is so weak.

Even more sad for their weak signal, they always say, "tallest tower in the state!".

I've noticed the signal also fades considerably when pulling up to an intersection. Kinda weird. I guess overhead wires run interference...

bchris02
10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised how spoiled I got with Satellite radio. I cringe when I have to take a rental and get the regular radio back.

I just re-activated my satellite radio. There is a station on there called "The Heat" which pretty much sounds like KKWD Wild 104.9 used to before Cumulus tweaked the format except The Heat plays slightly more R&B and slightly less pop than Wild did.

Even more sad for their weak signal, they always say, "tallest tower in the state!".

I've noticed the signal also fades considerably when pulling up to an intersection. Kinda weird. I guess overhead wires run interference...

Would it benefit Russell Perry at all to buy a less powerful station to get better coverage of the metro? I know he can't move 103.5 because FCC rules won't allow him to be any closer to the stick for Magic 104.1. If he changed the frequency to 103.3, he would run into the same problem with KJ 103. If he could buy a less powerful station though it might work. I think urban would work on 104.9 and it has much better coverage in the areas that need to be covered by the format, most namely NE and north central OKC. 103.5 really starts to fade east of Broadway. I am not sure if Cumulus would sell it but Wild is doing so poorly these days they might as well. I doubt there are a lot of people in western Oklahoma that listen to Power 103.5 even though you can pick it up pretty much all the way to the OK-TX panhandle border.

Soonerman
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
How come OKC doesn't have an Alternative rock station? Surely they could change one of the Classic Rock stations here.