View Full Version : New OKC Police Cruisers hitting the streets.

disinfected
09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Saw this story a couple of times, looks like the police department is upgrading their vehicles to the new Ford Taurus Police Interceptor, complete with an all new black paint scheme. Word is is they will be out on the streets in about two weeks time. It's going to be a bit strange to see after the traditional black and white for all this time.

Full story:
KOKH FOX 25 :: Top Stories - New OKC Police Vehicles (http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kokh_vid_7056.shtml)

Dubya61
09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder what the logic is behind the OHP and OKCPD going to all black cars. The official statement from OHP was that it was cheaper.

disinfected
09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
It could possibly save a little money considering patrol cars come out of the factory solid colors; not black and white. Not sure how big of a difference that makes with the prices of these new cars, however.

CuatrodeMayo
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Sharp.

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 02:55 PM
All black also probably makes them harder to spot (which has its pros and cons). Two color paint scheme application I'm sure adds up when you multiply it by however many cars.

Personally, I still don't understand why virtual no OCPD patrol cars have dash-cams. I know most people assume they do, but they don't. I'm assuming cost is a big factor there too - I would think liability would necessitate their implementation.

Plutonic Panda
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
All black also probably makes them harder to spot (which has its pros and cons). Two color paint scheme application I'm sure adds up when you multiply it by however many cars.

Personally, I still don't understand why virtual no OCPD patrol cars have dash-cams. I know most people assume they do, but they don't. I'm assuming cost is a big factor there too - I would think liability would necessitate their implementation.Will the new cars have dash-cams?

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Will the new cars have dash-cams?

Doubt it. Police Admin have never been in hurry to equip the patrol cars with them. I'm guessing it could easily be $5K each to do so. Mine was a few thousand and it doesn't even have the trunk DVR.

Personally I think street cops should have to wear the over the ear video cameras like some in the UK do. They claim it significantly reduced the number of false claims against officers and is essential in getting many people to plead guilty in disturbance and public drunk charges.

As for the new cars.... they look pretty sweet.

LakeEffect
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Doubt it. Police Admin have never been in hurry to equip the patrol cars with them. I'm guessing it could easily be $5K each to do so. Mine was a few thousand and it doesn't even have the trunk DVR.

Personally I think street cops should have to wear the over the ear video cameras like some in the UK do. They claim it significantly reduced the number of false claims against officers and is essential in getting many people to plead guilty in disturbance and public drunk charges.

As for the news cars.... they look pretty sweet.

I think Citty touched on in-car video cameras at the last Council meeting. Just last year I heard they weren't even entertaining the option, but two weeks ago Citty said getting them was inevitable.

I think the new looks is pretty cool. The OHP all black is nice too, very retro. I hate the excessive graphics on the OK County sheriff's vehicles. My personal favorite is the Comanche County sheriff's cars though. Blue and white instead of black and white.

Plutonic Panda
09-21-2012, 07:42 PM

As for the new cars.... they look pretty sweet.WOW 5K. I never knew they would be that much. I wonder if the Carbon Motors E7(Concept) will ever roll out on the market?

Mel
09-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Big Black Car in my rear view mirror. Don't know what to think of that.

Hollywood
09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
WOW 5K. I never knew they would be that much. I wonder if the Carbon Motors E7(Concept) will ever roll out on the market?

Carbon Motors went under after the government finally stopped giving them money. That was an idea which would never have succeeded.

As for the new cars, sad to see another agency toss aside tradition and ditch the black and white scheme.

RadicalModerate
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
No question about it. It's . .

Black and White . . .
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_266/12101000687Lx07G.jpg

Black and White . . .
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3846392137_c9e19a774f.jpg

Black and White . . .
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2652554282_ede5a14e8a.jpg

Yes . . . Even in the future . . .
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4338529915_3699f309b3.jpg

Plutonic Panda
09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Carbon Motors went under after the government finally stopped giving them money. That was an idea which would never have succeeded.

As for the new cars, sad to see another agency toss aside tradition and ditch the black and white scheme. Do you know how much per car it would've cost to make a CM E7?

MadMonk
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Bring back the bubble gum machine lights! :D

RadicalModerate
09-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Yeah . . . And put them on top of cars with THIS paint scheme . . .
http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/carguide/images/smart-police-car.jpg
oh. wait: if they did that, these cars either couldn't move forward
and might even tip over. bad scheme. nevermind.

Hollywood
09-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Do you know how much per car it would've cost to make a CM E7?

Word on the street they would have run around $70,000. Way more than our cars cost now. Their argument was the one package deal with a super long service life. That failed as one package isn't going to apply to all and it limits your equipment choices throughout the lifespan of the vehicle whereas now you can plug and play equipment in the consoles.

Regarding the lifespan, that was certainly not convincing anyone given the company had no history to back up the claims and the abuse the cars take, I just can't see one making it 250,000. Normally cars are shot by 100,000 then the next 50,000 miles you spend enough trying to keep it running you should have just replaced it.

bombermwc
09-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I will say that I'm less likely to question a black and white car on the road....especially if i'm from out of town. I hate the unmarked cars too, i fell they should be illegal. It's not a matter of me not stopping, it's trusting that the person in the car isn't an imposter. Granted it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen and has happened locally.

Other than that, they things could be purple for all I care. As long as when the guy gets out of the car, it's a real officer.

Mel
10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I saw one of the new cruisers today. Westbound on the Hwy 152 extension about 4:15. Sweet looking ride. No decals on it yet, still had Dealer Tag #1418 on it. Looked like a beefed up taurus. The color seemed like a dark gray instaed of the black I'm used to seeing on LEO vehicles. Might have some metal flake to it. The rear suspension looked awesome.

MustangGT
10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Due to the costs imposed by all the manufacturers black/white police cares will be very rare if not extinct in the future. Mono-colred cars will be the rule from now on. OHP was livid about not being able to get their cars black and white with that stupid triangular/trapezoidal decal on the rear fenders.

Hollywood
10-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Due to the costs imposed by all the manufacturers black/white police cares will be very rare if not extinct in the future. Mono-colred cars will be the rule from now on. OHP was livid about not being able to get their cars black and white with that stupid triangular/trapezoidal decal on the rear fenders.

Our Chargers are painted at a local dealer. Cost work out about the same as if we got a vinyl wrap for the white which would most likely need to be replaced at least once through the life span of the car. Let's hope the single color cars don't take over, that's tradition being flushed as well as a great factor in visibility being tossed aside. OCPD and OHP can copy Whetsel all they want, hopefully the rest don't get a case of monkey see, monkey do.

venture
10-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Go to Michigan, the Highway Patrol still uses (a form of) them there. :)

http://miweb.gat.atl.publicus.com/storyimage/MI/20120923/NEWS/120929791/AR/0/AR-120929791.jpg&MaxW=300&MaxH=240

MustangGT
10-13-2012, 10:48 AM
As for tradition many PD cars/suv's outside the state of OK are mono-colorerd. Look around. Smaller departments that only buy cars in very limited numbers can maybe justify the additional cost. However when you are buying cars in the numbers that OCPD and OHP do economy of scale becomes VERY IMPORTANT. Also the "traditional" coloration makes the cars easier for scofflaws to pick out. I have been a huge proponent of running clean roofs and mounting all the lights behind the glass for more of a low profile/stealth look. It makes traffic enforcement along with all enforcement activities much more effective.

MadMonk
10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Go to Michigan, the Highway Patrol still uses (a form of) them there. :)

http://miweb.gat.atl.publicus.com/storyimage/MI/20120923/NEWS/120929791/AR/0/AR-120929791.jpg&MaxW=300&MaxH=240

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks!

I was wondering what the sign on the hood was for and did some research. I found some interesting info about it, if anyone else was wondering.

"MSP vehicles also feature a clear plastic sign, referred to as a "hood light" or "hailer" or "shark fin" on the hood that lights up when activated. The historical use of this hood light dates from the time when a "side stop" patrol stop would be initiated by pulling up next to an offender and the Trooper would motion them to pull over in daylight; at night the hood light was illuminated displaying the words "State Police" and "STOP" (MSP no longer use the "side stop"). Patrol units also use red and blue LEDs facing to the rear of the vehicle, as well as headlight and tail light flashers. Both the rotating overhead light and the shark fin have traditionally been synonymous with the MSP. The rotating red light has been used by the MSP since 1960 and the current style red overhead light has been in use by the agency since 1979. The red overhead lights on some MSP cars are 20–25 years old."
Michigan State Police - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_State_Police#Unique_lighting)

Anonymous.
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
If departments want black/whites so bad, why not employ or teach employees to vinyl wrap?

I have vinyl wrapped an entire car before with zero experience. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. A dedicated person (or two) that can wrap two white doors and a roof should not be very expensive. Vinyl is basically free when you buy a large roll - the cost of 'vinyl wrap jobs' is all in the labor. I would personally wrap patrol cars on the side, for a department if one was to need someone to do so for a fee less than vinyl shops.

BBatesokc
10-14-2012, 05:12 PM
If departments want black/whites so bad, why not employ or teach employees to vinyl wrap?

I have vinyl wrapped an entire car before with zero experience. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. A dedicated person (or two) that can wrap two white doors and a roof should not be very expensive. Vinyl is basically free when you buy a large roll - the cost of 'vinyl wrap jobs' is all in the labor. I would personally wrap patrol cars on the side, for a department if one was to need someone to do so for a fee less than vinyl shops.

I vinyl wrapped an old ice cream truck a few years back!

Actually, when I was at Children's Hospital years ago we ordered the first vinyl wrapped OKC city bus. A local large sign company had the contract and I got to go over and help them put it on. It was sort of a learn-as-you-go process. Had to then remove the graphics a few months later when the doc featured on the bus was convicted of child sexual abuse.

I like seeing personal vehicles with cool vinyl wrap. You don't see it much here in Oklahoma (except for commercial vehicles) - but I've seen several in other states - like Arizona, Colorado and Nevada.

Hollywood
10-15-2012, 06:47 AM

We looked into that but after speaking with graphics shops determined that the paint was the best way to go. The quality would be better and as told by the graphics guys, the paint would be damaged anyway when we removed the vinyl since the cars are take homes and have a ten year service life. If an agency hot seats their cars and runs them 24/7 requiring a constant rotation of the fleet I think the vinyl wrap fits the role better. Long term, paint.

disinfected
10-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, I learned something new today. Thanks!

I was wondering what the sign on the hood was for and did some research. I found some interesting info about it, if anyone else was wondering.

Kind of looks like what they have in Japan.
http://www.atlas-web.com/keisatu/policetype/P4167900.jpg

Just the facts
10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Is that what the Science Patrol uses now?

h09BbhRTn0U

MonkeesFan
10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
The police car looks cool

Cocaine
10-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Let oppression and racial profiling continue. We all know since the OKCPD got new toys their gonna go on a brutality spree.

RadicalModerate
10-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Is that what the Science Patrol uses now?

h09BbhRTn0U

How can anyone read those Japanese subtitles so fast?
All I could make out at the start was HWTG and ZIPPY.
And don't they know Corvairs tip over?

BTW: I saw an Oklahoma Highway Patrol version of one of these vehicles the other day.
Sharp! (and menacing).

Let oppression and racial profiling continue. We all know since the OKCPD got new toys their gonna go on a brutality spree.

Just be glad you don't live in New Jersey . . .
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8458/0001zhe69623801yt8.jpg
On the other hand, they have to drive VW Things.
Here's the "unmarked" version . . .
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/image/006_vw_thing.jpg