View Full Version : OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
And now for some bad news.... Of course the population is growing so an increase of the raw number of violent crimes would be somewhat expected, but this jump is a bit alarming:

Five weekend homicides in Oklahoma City add to year's growing count

Oklahoma City's 66 homicides so far this year already surpass the 60 homicides seen in all of 2011.

Read more: Five weekend homicides in Oklahoma City add to year's growing count | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/five-weekend-homicides-in-oklahoma-city-add-to-years-growing-count/article/3710694#ixzz26rYXPYuK)

Spartan
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I have been saying all along that we're seeing an incredible spike in violent crime in OKC. I am very worried about my grandparents who still live in Capitol Hill.

OKCisOK4me
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I think you broke it down earlier this year, ya know, those deaths affiliated with gangs, drugs, domestic violence & abuse, police pursing bad guys, sex trafficking, etc...

I don't think the common hard working man is going to be added to these stats unless he's either caught in the crossfire or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My conclusion is, if people are gonna act stupid (as in being a part of everything listed above), then good riddance...

Spartan
09-18-2012, 05:57 PM
I think you broke it down earlier this year, ya know, those deaths affiliated with gangs, drugs, domestic violence & abuse, police pursing bad guys, sex trafficking, etc...

I don't think the common hard working man is going to be added to these stats unless he's either caught in the crossfire or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My conclusion is, if people are gonna act stupid (as in being a part of everything listed above), then good riddance...

Come on, every big city likes to chalk its homicides up to good riddances... that's like the biggest talking point on the local news here in Cleveland.

OKCisOK4me
09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
That's why I turn the news on at 15 after. Weather and sports. ;-)

kevinpate
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Every now and again, a gator gets loose in the shallow end of the bad gene pool.
Don't hop the fence and go swimming in the bad gene pool.

MikeLucky
09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, we ARE an NBA city now... soooo.....

But, Pete, you left out the GOOD side of this coin... you would think we would also see a jump up in strip clubs, quantity AND quality. :)

LakeEffect
09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I've been tracking this all year. We started off hard... Murdering Oklahoma City « Urban Lake Effect (http://urbanlakeeffect.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/murdering-oklahoma-city/)

Something I didn't get into in the post - many of the first 30 homicides were murder/suicides. I think we had at least three to five occurrences of that right away.

Just the facts
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
While it would be great to spend that extra cash on transit, what good is it if we can’t even protect our residents?

Here you go.

The Death and Life of Great American Cities: Jane Jacobs: 9780679741954: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Death-Life-Great-American-Cities/dp/067974195X)

Happy Sid?

LakeEffect
09-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Here you go.

The Death and Life of Great American Cities: Jane Jacobs: 9780679741954: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Death-Life-Great-American-Cities/dp/067974195X)

Happy Sid?

:) Sid and I will discuss this at lunch on Friday, I'm sure.

Spartan
09-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been tracking this all year. We started off hard... Murdering Oklahoma City « Urban Lake Effect (http://urbanlakeeffect.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/murdering-oklahoma-city/)

Something I didn't get into in the post - many of the first 30 homicides were murder/suicides. I think we had at least three to five occurrences of that right away.

Yeah, that's the new trend.

Just the facts
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
:) Sid and I will discuss this at lunch on Friday, I'm sure.

The bottom line is, we have been going down the wrong path for 70 years. If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.

Pete
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.

A streaming version is on Netflix.

Roadhawg
09-19-2012, 04:53 PM

But, Pete, you left out the GOOD side of this coin... you would think we would also see a jump up in strip clubs, quantity AND quality. :)

There's a statistic I could live with lol

soonerguru
09-20-2012, 12:17 PM
It seems that Southwest OKC is far ahead of other areas of town in which homicides are concentrated.

G.Walker
09-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Little Darlin's is just a few years old, and its huge.

Roadhawg
09-20-2012, 03:29 PM
The bottom line is, we have been going down the wrong path for 70 years. If you get a chance watch The Pruitt Igoe Myth. It provides an interesting insight into just how badly things went wrong, and why. We have a lot of undoing to do.

Is that about the housing project in St Louis?

Spartan
09-20-2012, 06:53 PM
It seems that Southwest OKC is far ahead of other areas of town in which homicides are concentrated.

This. Most of SW OKC used to be relatively safe, and now whenever I'd visit my grandparents I would just get a bad feeling, especially after dark. Most of SW OKC used to be just fine after dark even if S Robinson was notorious.

This happened last night two blocks from them:
UPDATE: Name of man shot in head in southwest Oklahoma City released, pickup recovered | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/update-name-of-man-shot-in-head-in-southwest-oklahoma-city-released-pickup-recovered/article/3711360)

CaptDave
09-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Yes it is

LakeEffect
09-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Homicides 67 and 68 have been recorded...

Bellaboo
09-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm sure this will stir a few of you up, but it's kind of a away of thinning out the herd......in a lot of cases.

catch22
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.

LakeEffect
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.

Are the two previous posts trying to bait people for online fights?

Bellaboo
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Are the two previous posts trying to bait people for online fights?

I don't want to fuss, just kind of how it is though.

Just the facts
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm sure this will stir a few of you up, but it's kind of a away of thinning out the herd......in a lot of cases.

Maybe, but a thinner herd shouldn't be our goal. We should want a better herd. Sadly, it does seem if a significant portion of our poplation might be beyond saving, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Bellaboo
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe, but a thinner herd shouldn't be our goal. We should want a better herd. Sadly, it does seem if a significant portion of our poplation might be beyond saving, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

It's hard to watch the local news, every lead in is another shooting. It's usually in some run down apartments. Not sure what the answer is.

Just the facts
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Yes, but only in the most narrow of senses. The Pruitt Igoe housing project was just the vehicle used to deliver a much broader message. If all anyone gets out of watching it is some info on a failed housing project in St Louis then they missed the entire message and should probably watch it again.

LakeEffect
09-24-2012, 03:56 PM

This is a lazy response to a big issue. In 2010 (when we had 60 homicides total), our murder rate based on FBI UCR reporting was 9.4 per 100,000 people. Sacramento, with a very similar population was 0.04 per 100,000. El Paso, with a higher population than hours, was 0.08 per 100,000.

Just the facts
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
This is a lazy response to a big issue. In 2010 (when we had 60 homicides total), our murder rate based on FBI UCR reporting was 9.4 per 100,000 people. Sacramento, with a very similar population was 0.04 per 100,000. El Paso, with a higher population than hours, was 0.08 per 100,000.

Sacramento is only 94 sq miles. If you took all of the police resources of OKC and condensed it into 97 sq mile the crime rate in OKC would be close to 0.

adaniel
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, but where did you get those numbers? A homicide rate of less than 0.5 per 100K is pretty much unheard of in cities over 250K.

Looking at Sacramento's homicide numbers here (http://www.sacpd.org/crime/stats/), they had about 33 murders in 2010, which would give them a homicide rate of around 7.1 per 100,000 based on their 2010 population.

El Paso had 5 murders in 2010 and has a homicide rate around 0.7 per 100K. That's about as low as you get for any city of size. You do have to wonder however how many folks over there hop over the border to do their "business"though

ljbab728
09-24-2012, 09:59 PM

I understand what you're saying but one homicide is a problem. With that said, I don't think there has been any kind of cultural change in OKC or any other significant trend that has contributed to a rise in homicides.

catch22
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I understand what you're saying but one homicide is a problem. With that said, I don't think there has been any kind of cultural change in OKC or any other significant trend that has contributed to a rise in homicides.

I agree every loss of life is a problem. I meant, there's not a new growing "problem". Nothing is "out of control" if the percentage is the same. There is always room for improvement though.

LakeEffect
09-25-2012, 07:22 AM
I agree every loss of life is a problem. I meant, there's not a new growing "problem". Nothing is "out of control" if the percentage is the same. There is always room for improvement though.

That's the issue; the percentage isn't the same. Population growth from 2010 to 2010 was estimated at about 2%. The homicide total is already up 13% over the 2010 and 2011 numbers, and we have over 3 months left in the year.

LakeEffect
09-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, but where did you get those numbers? A homicide rate of less than 0.5 per 100K is pretty much unheard of in cities over 250K.

Looking at Sacramento's homicide numbers here (http://www.sacpd.org/crime/stats/), they had about 33 murders in 2010, which would give them a homicide rate of around 7.1 per 100,000 based on their 2010 population.

El Paso had 5 murders in 2010 and has a homicide rate around 0.7 per 100K. That's about as low as you get for any city of size. You do have to wonder however how many folks over there hop over the border to do their "business"though

I hate myself for it, but I quickly used Wikipedia for that, which referenced the FBI reporting site: FBI — Table 8 (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl08.xls/view)

metro
09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I have been saying all along that we're seeing an incredible spike in violent crime in OKC. I am very worried about my grandparents who still live in Capitol Hill.

What do you think is causing the increase?

LakeEffect
09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Homicide #69 was listed in a press release today. City of Oklahoma City - Notification Information (http://www.okc.gov/PublicNotificationSystem/Forms/publicNotificationInformation.aspx?notificationID= 330c693e-9df9-4254-966e-7734bcc1751d)

adaniel
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I hate myself for it, but I quickly used Wikipedia for that, which referenced the FBI reporting site: FBI — Table 8 (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl08.xls/view)

No problem, just thought those numbers were a bit low. Your point still is valid. I don't know much about El Paso, but Sacramento has never been regarded as a particularly safe city and for us to have a higher homicide rate than them is pretty concerning.

What do you think is causing the increase?

That is a really hard question to answer. It could be everything from economic stresses to the warm weather we have experienced all year. To echo what's been said on here, there really seems to be some issues on the SW side.

Crime, while still historically low, is ticking up nationwide. NYC, Philadelphia, and Houston are all up. Chicago now has a higher murder rate than Mexico City and Sao Paulo.

IMO the deep municipal budget cuts that many cities experienced starting in 2008 are now starting to show up in creeping crime rates.

LakeEffect
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
IMO the deep municipal budget cuts that many cities experienced starting in 2008 are now starting to show up in creeping crime rates.

I definitely think you are on to something. I'm not for hiring cops just to hire cops, but we may have tested the bottom limit of what technology could do for increasing effectiveness and it may be time to start increasing municipal budgets to allow for more service. That may help with gang-related crimes...

However, a big concern for me is the number of murder-suicides and child abuse deaths. Many of those require social prevention. It's nigh impossible for a cop to stop those when they generally occur within a home.

Just the facts
09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
duplicate

Just the facts
09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
I wonder how many murders in OKC involved no previous interaction between the killer and the killed. To me, that would be a true indicator of how safe or unsafe an area is because generally I can choose who I associate with. As has been pointed out, my wife could kill me in my sleep, but that generally does not cause an unsafe condition for our neigbors (although it might hurt property values as my wife can't mow the lawn very well).

OKCTalker
09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
If your wife just read that post, I could see her murdering you in your sleep.

Just the facts
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM
If your wife just read that post, I could see her murdering you in your sleep.

She already knows she can't mow the lawn. I exist for 3 reasons 1) kill bugs, 2) mow the lawn, 3) drive the car (note - I don't get to pick the route, speed, lane, or how far I am from the car in front of us :))

rlewis
09-25-2012, 05:21 PM
I wonder if the count of aggravated assaults is up in OKC this year as well? It's a fine line between an assault and a murder. All it takes is a well-placed bullet to a vital organ to make the difference between life or death.

kevinpate
09-26-2012, 09:44 AM
She already knows she can't mow the lawn. I exist for 3 reasons 1) kill bugs, 2) mow the lawn, 3) drive the car (note - I don't get to pick the route, speed, lane, or how far I am from the car in front of us :))

So, if we were to pitch in, hire her a gardener/driver, and throw in a case of bug spray, the world might just chalk it up as a big coincidence if you suddenly stopped posting?
:)

G.Walker
09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I definitely think you are on to something. I'm not for hiring cops just to hire cops, but we may have tested the bottom limit of what technology could do for increasing effectiveness and it may be time to start increasing municipal budgets to allow for more service. That may help with gang-related crimes...

However, a big concern for me is the number of murder-suicides and child abuse deaths. Many of those require social prevention. It's nigh impossible for a cop to stop those when they generally occur within a home.

OKC Council eyes larger police force after budget adjustment | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2012/09/25/okc-council-eyes-larger-police-force-after-budget-adjustment-finance/)

LakeEffect
09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Homicide #70 last night (Tuesday the 25th).

ShiroiHikari
09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Police: 1 dead, 1 in custody after shooting outside NW OKC Target | OKC - KOCO Home (http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/Police-1-dead-1-in-custody-after-shooting-outside-NW-OKC-Target/-/11777584/16782644/-/1snmvdz/-/index.html)

This is getting scary...what's going on?

adaniel
09-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Police: 1 dead, 1 in custody after shooting outside NW OKC Target | OKC - KOCO Home (http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/Police-1-dead-1-in-custody-after-shooting-outside-NW-OKC-Target/-/11777584/16782644/-/1snmvdz/-/index.html)

I'd be interested to see the breakdown in the homicides in the city this year. Were they violence against innocent people or domestic incidents?

Given the state of gun laws in this state, how much can the police do when two idiots want to go argue and off themselves in a Target parking lot?

The maddening nature about crimes like these, is sometimes they just happen.

Dustin
09-28-2012, 10:19 PM

I was there when it happened. Everyone is saying it was road rage. The victim pulled a knife then the suspect pulled a gun and shot. Scary stuff.

kevinpate
09-29-2012, 05:30 AM
proving once again it is better to have a gun at a knife fight than to have a knife at a gun fight.

RadicalModerate
09-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Everyone is saying it was road rage . . . Scary stuff.

"Road Rage"? Parking Lot Rage, perhaps . . .

I predict many more incidents like this, in this area, due to the addition of two more restaurants and a Sporting Goods MegaMart to an already saturated and grid-locked "Shopping Zone" . . . Especially around Christmas.

(I must say that I'm somewhat surprised that the shooting didn't occur on the other side of the turnpike, but with a name like "Target" I guess I shouldn't be . . .)

BTW: I have a feeling that the next actual "Road Rage" shooting we hear about will take place on what used to be Hefner Road between The Lake Hefner Parkway and Western. That dude who wrote "The Tipping Point" should have included a chapter on traffic density.

ShiroiHikari
09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I was going to make a bad joke about election years and Democrats and Republicans, but I think I'll pass.

On a more serious note, are people just stressed out because of the economy and the general State of the Union, or what?

Just the facts
09-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I was walking today and a guy behind me stepped on my flip-flop. He said sorry and I said no worries. We both just kept going on about our day. Later, a guy with back pack brushed it against me. Neither of us said anything.

ljbab728
09-29-2012, 08:11 PM
I was going to make a bad joke about election years and Democrats and Republicans, but I think I'll pass.

On a more serious note, are people just stressed out because of the economy and the general State of the Union, or what?

There is almost no chance that the economy and the general state of the union has had anything to do with any local homicides this year.

Just the facts
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
I see people yell and cuss at old ladies driving slow, and then see people hold doors open for old ladies walking slow. What is it about driving that brings out the worst in people and walking seems to bring out the best in them? Anyone else ever notice that?

kevinpate
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I see people yell and cuss at old ladies driving slow, and then see people hold doors open for old ladies walking slow. What is it about driving that brings out the worst in people and walking seems to bring out the best in them? Anyone else ever notice that?

Being semi closeted away makes folks meaner and stupider. Hmmm, that might explain some voting booth decisions too, but that's a whole nuther thread for another time.

JayhawkTransplant
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM

YES. I am so mean when I drive! I would never yell directly at someone, but I do honk at people who barely creep into my lane and cuss them out to myself. Then, I pull up to the light next to them, and empathize with them. I think the road rage has something to do with the fact that being in a car takes the human aspect away from the other person. You can generally see the person in the car, but you can rarely see their face or make eye contact.

I am working on my habit of saying "you stupid bizzo!" if someone cuts me off :) .

Just the facts
10-01-2012, 07:59 AM
In a country where we build an every increasing amount urban space that is low density and requires people to drive more and more is anyone still struggling to understand why we are becoming a more violent society?

On a personal note my wife yells at me all the time for not honking my horn at people. I simply reply that we are all trying to live in a society and my honking isn't going to make life more pleasnt for anyone. Of course, that only seems to make her more mad. I noticed that after I started riding my bike more I don't have the same 'bad attitude' when I do drive.

HangryHippo
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Sid, I noticed on Steve Lackmeyer's Twitter account regarding the murder at Quail Springs Target, you posted something about a document from 2007 and Chef Jason followed that with something about an episode of Cheaters. Was the homicide at the Quail Springs Target related to infidelity? I've seen that rumor elsewhere, but I'm curious about this article you mention. Can you share?

HangryHippo
10-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Hmm. Any idea what the Cheaters comment was about? I've heard that this was either road rage or infidelity. Do you know more?