View Full Version : Where can a person go to find arrowheads in the OKC area ?

Bellaboo
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been a collector for years. I have a few spots to collect from, does anyone ever remember finding a point when they were a kid ?

Bill Robertson
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
When I was a kid we had a place on lake Eufaula. There were a few 10 to 20 foot tall dirt "cliffs" along the shore that would wash away some during big storms. Mom would find arrow heads in the newly exposed dirt. She has quite a few in a box somewhere. Funny thing is dad never found a single one. I only found a couple partial ones. Mom just had the touch.

GaryOKC6
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I have a house in the Arbuckle Mountains near Sulphur, OK and go there a lot. I have found them in the Chickasaw National Park as well as around the Lake of the Arbuckles. There is a hiking/horse trail that runs from the National park to the lake and is very remote. My friends and I hike it often and someone always finds either all or part of an arrow or spear head. Of course the guys that I hike with ALWAYS have their eyes focused on the ground and are constantly combing the ground as we walk. They are way more focused than I am but I am learning a lot from them.

Bellaboo
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Some of my spots - believe it or not, back in the late 70's Lake hefner was about half full. I walked straight out from Stars and Stripes Park about 50 yards. I am one of those always looking down also. In the clay was a perfect arrowhead. It is actually a knife from a deep dark red jasper.

Out west of Yukon on Shell creek is a site that the land owner gave me a pestal (stone tool for grinding food) that he dug up in his small garden. Years later I went out and found a partial point, has the tip broken.

I have an extensive collection - I also have some of the oldest artifacts known to man kind that were recovered from Africa by my sister and her husband back in the sixties. I've had the stone tools date tested with an IR Raman Laser Spectograph, and they went off the charts, in excess of several hundred thousands of years old. We think they are from Homo Hibilis, Archulian culture and date to 500,000 to 750,000 BP. This predates Clovis Culture of North America by a few years...LOL

PennyQuilts
09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I lived out on on the east side of town near Coltrane and NE 63rd. My dad was visiting from Texas and collected arrowheads. While he was there, he walked out in the pasture and picked up a few, right on top of the ground. I'd never even thought to look for any.

Bellaboo
09-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I lived out on on the east side of town near Coltrane and NE 63rd. My dad was visiting from Texas and collected arrowheads. While he was there, he walked out in the pasture and picked up a few, right on top of the ground. I'd never even thought to look for any.

I had a minister at our church that lived in Midwest city, and he used to find them at Regional Park along Soldier creek. I also know a couple of people who picked them up under the trees in the dirt when they went to elementary school in Bethany, one at Hilldale and the other over at the school at 30th and Ann Arbor.