View Full Version : Go Sooners beat the Wildcats!

Pages : [1] 2

SoonerQueen
09-15-2012, 09:59 PM

MonkeesFan
09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
I do not the see the Sooners winning this game, it is a trap game, I just have a bad feeling about this...

dcsooner
09-16-2012, 06:00 PM
not really a trap game, Sooners proving to be an ok team, but not elite this year. 9-3 season at best

venture
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I do not the see the Sooners winning this game, it is a trap game, I just have a bad feeling about this...

K State did almost lose to North Texas though, which could mean they were overlooking to OU. I am worried about having a run happy team coming to Norman though. Defense has a chance to get exposed greatly. I still think they win, but extremely close.

I think we lose in Lubbock, as usual, as they focus more on Texas. Kansas is a win. Notre Dame could get very ugly quickly for us. Iowa State is a win. Baylor is a win, as it should be. We lose in Morgantown to WVU. OSU can go either way and it will directly impact if TCU blows us up or we win.

I just don't how schools like Bama can just reload year after year and look down right nasty. Then you have OU which is always hyped but then exposed. Has Stoops lost his touch?

Spartan
09-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Collin Klein.

Bellaboo
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
K State did almost lose to North Texas though, which could mean they were overlooking to OU. I am worried about having a run happy team coming to Norman though. Defense has a chance to get exposed greatly. I still think they win, but extremely close.

I think we lose in Lubbock, as usual, as they focus more on Texas. Kansas is a win. Notre Dame could get very ugly quickly for us. Iowa State is a win. Baylor is a win, as it should be. We lose in Morgantown to WVU. OSU can go either way and it will directly impact if TCU blows us up or we win.

I just don't how schools like Bama can just reload year after year and look down right nasty. Then you have OU which is always hyped but then exposed. Has Stoops lost his touch?

Yes, it's a few years past time for new blood....I've been saying for the last few years he's over paid for his production............look how bad our 'special' teams looked so un-special at UTEP.....it all starts at the top.

adaniel
09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
It wouldn't be football season without at least 1 "Fire Bob Stoops" thread.

ou48A
09-16-2012, 09:31 PM
If the home crowd brings it’s -A- game and if OU keeps its mistakes to a minimum the Sooners should win.

ou48A
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Roll call: Who besides me will be attending the OU KSU game?
Right now the weather looks very good.

Just the facts
09-16-2012, 10:22 PM

You have to look how the SEC schedules their games. Most of the key matchups occur in the first 2 or 3 games of the season and they save nearly all of the powder-puff games for the last 2 or 3 games of the season. So while OU is playing OSU, Michigan is playing Ohio St, etc, Alabama is playing Western Carolina. The SEC also has a complete lack of inter-divisional play. They only play 2 conference games outside their division. This gives every team in the SEC an extra win (and removes a loss at the same time). In short, they can't lose to each other if they don't play each other.

This year Alabma plays Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina BUT only plays Tennessee and Missouri from the SEC East. Meanwhile, Florida plays Bowling Green, Lousiana Rajun Cajuns, Jacksonville State, and FSU, but only play LSU and Texas AM from the SEC West. In fact, Florida's last 3 games are all non-conference games. They end confernce play on Nov 3 against Missouri. Meanwhile, OU plays Baylor, West Virginia, OSU, and TCU during the same time span.

ou48A
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I just don't how schools like Bama can just reload year after year and look down right nasty.

Alabama plays a tough schedule; their November schedule usually includes LSU and Auburn. Alabama often plays in the SEC championship and in a very tough bowl… but their secret is in how they recruit.

Alabama does a very good job of evaluating talent. They receive far friendlier local media coverage than OU. It’s almost like propaganda and as a result very few players leave the state that Alabama wants.

When most teams including OU seldom over sign the maximum of 25 scholarships, Alabama and most other SEC teams have over signed players, often over 30. After players sign’s, they run off their mistakes once they are on campus the following summer. They will also gray shirt a few players.
But this is how Alabama has reloaded in recent years.

While this practices has not been a technical violation of NCAA rules it’s been a violation of the spirit of the rule and enough so that the SEC was finally forced to take action. I don’t remember if it started with the last class or this class, but the SEC has passed a rule that will seriously restrict the number of over signed players... Also the NCAA is going to start being punished teams for low graduation rates. Teams with low graduation rates will have scholarships and post season play restricted. For example had these rules been in place OSU would not have been able to go to the Fiesta bowl last year.

New stricter NCAA eligibility requirements are coming. They will involve tougher high school classes and higher grades. This will make it tougher on teams who have made living with players who were poor students.
In another 2 or 3 years all of this will combine to put a pretty big dent in the run that the SEC has had.

PS: Attending a big game at Alabama is a real treat to a college football fan such as myself.
But Alabama is beatable this year.

BoulderSooner
09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Roll call: Who besides me will be attending the OU KSU game?
Right now the weather looks very good.

i will be there per always

BoulderSooner
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
You have to look how the SEC schedules their games. Most of the key matchups occur in the first 2 or 3 games of the season and they save nearly all of the powder-puff games for the last 2 or 3 games of the season. So while OU is playing OSU, Michigan is playing Ohio St, etc, Alabama is playing Western Carolina. The SEC also has a complete lack of inter-divisional play. They only play 2 conference games outside their division. This gives every team in the SEC an extra win (and removes a loss at the same time). In short, they can't lose to each other if they don't play each other.

This year Alabma plays Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina BUT only plays Tennessee and Missouri from the SEC East. Meanwhile, Florida plays Bowling Green, Lousiana Rajun Cajuns, Jacksonville State, and FSU, but only play LSU and Texas AM from the SEC West. In fact, Florida's last 3 games are all non-conference games. They end confernce play on Nov 3 against Missouri. Meanwhile, OU plays Baylor, West Virginia, OSU, and TCU during the same time span.

what?? wrong .. florida st is that hardest game on florida's schedule .. and bama has played no one so far

ou48A
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
In his press conference today Bob Stoops indicated that he wants a very loud crowd Saturday night.

Just the facts
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM

what?? wrong .. florida st is that hardest game on florida's schedule .. and bama has played no one so far

What exactly did I get wrong? FSU might be the best team on UFs schedule but that game comes right after UF plays Lousiana Cajuns and Jacksonville St. Besides, UF plays FSU on the same day every year, regardless of how good or bad FSU is and it isn't a conference game anyhow.

So far Alabama has played Michigan and Arkansas. OU has played UTEP and Florida A&M. OSU has played Savannah St, Arizona and Louisana Tech (or something like that).

All I am saying is that OU and OSU should have played each other the first game of the season, and then they could have played Florida A&M and Savannah St in November. It is better to lose early. How else do you explain how Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas all ended up 1, 2, 3 last year.

MonkeesFan
09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
In his press conference today Bob Stoops indicated that he wants a very loud crowd Saturday night.

He is worried about a loud crowd instead of the game?

ou48A
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM

No, Stoops is worried about the game.

wallbreaker
09-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Also the NCAA is going to start being punished teams for low graduation rates. Teams with low graduation rates will have scholarships and post season play restricted. For example had these rules been in place OSU would not have been able to go to the Fiesta bowl last year.

Curious here. What would the cutoff be? While OSU's graduation rates aren't the best in the big 12, they're not the bottom, nor near the bottom. They've been in the middle to the top. Are you saying that with these new rules, OU and Texas would be kept out of the post season? Cause I can't see that happening.

dankrutka
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Why on earth would this be an either/or situation?!? And a more accurate description would probably be that he hopes for a good crowd and spends all his time preparing for the game.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but are you really young? Your posts remind of a middle schoolers... Which is finhair that's how old you are... Just curious.

ou48A
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Alabama plays a tough schedule; their November schedule usually includes LSU and Auburn. Alabama often plays in the SEC championship and in a very tough bowl… but their secret is in how they recruit.

Alabama does a very good job of evaluating talent. They receive far friendlier local media coverage than OU. It’s almost like propaganda and as a result very few players leave the state that Alabama wants.

When most teams including OU seldom over sign the maximum of 25 scholarships, Alabama and most other SEC teams have over signed players, often over 30. After players sign’s, they run off their mistakes once they are on campus the following summer. They will also gray shirt a few players.
But this is how Alabama has reloaded in recent years.

While this practices has not been a technical violation of NCAA rules it’s been a violation of the spirit of the rule and enough so that the SEC was finally forced to take action. I don’t remember if it started with the last class or this class, but the SEC has passed a rule that will seriously restrict the number of over signed players... Also the NCAA is going to start being punished teams for low graduation rates. Teams with low graduation rates will have scholarships and post season play restricted. For example had these rules been in place OSU would not have been able to go to the Fiesta bowl last year.

New stricter NCAA eligibility requirements are coming. They will involve tougher high school classes and higher grades. This will make it tougher on teams who have made living with players who were poor students.
In another 2 or 3 years all of this will combine to put a pretty big dent in the run that the SEC has had.

PS: Attending a big game at Alabama is a real treat to a college football fan such as myself.
But Alabama is beatable this year.

I now believe the part of this^ post about OSU not being able to go to the Fiesta bowl because of low graduation rates on their football team is a mistake on my part. I apologize.

Snowman
09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
If these colleges football team graduation rates are unacceptable we might as well cancel the NCAA Basketball Tournament right now.

bluedogok
09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
They have to change the "graduation rate" formula from what it has been, I know there has been talk of it over the years as much of the criteria was unfair. I know that it used to be a player had to graduate from their first school within 5 or 6 years. If a player transferred it counted the same as if someone flunked out or quit school. A player like Ryan Humphrey who transferred from OU to Notre Dame in good standing (he was always considered an excellent student) counted as a negative against OU even though he graduated from Notre Dame within the required time period. It seems to me if a player in good academic standing leaves the school whether to transfer, go pro or just to go to work it shouldn't be counted the same as a guy flunking out.

CuatrodeMayo
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Here is some good general information on Academic Progress Rates:

Academic Progress Rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate)

MonkeesFan
09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Why on earth would this be an either/or situation?!? And a more accurate description would probably be that he hopes for a good crowd and spends all his time preparing for the game.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but are you really young? Your posts remind of a middle schoolers... Which is finhair that's how old you are... Just curious.

Okay then

I am about to be 32 in 2 days

ou48A
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Here is some good general information on Academic Progress Rates:

Academic Progress Rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Progress_Rate)

Thanks

I really don’t think that an athlete who leaves school early to make millions should be counted against the university’s graduation rates. Players who die, suffer from serious injury, disease or serious family hardship should also not necessarily count against the graduation rates.

Dubya61
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks

I really don’t think that an athlete who leaves school early to make millions should be counted against the university’s graduation rates. Players who die, suffer from serious injury, disease or serious family hardship should also not necessarily count against the graduation rates.

Spot on .. but I would love it if the NCAA tied scholarship counts to graduation rates.

OKCisOK4me
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you remember last year when K State was undefeated and OU went right into Manhattan and slapped them silly? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you guys will win by at least two touchdowns (I honestly think you guys will win by three tds but we'll see).

ou48A
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Do you remember last year when K State was undefeated and OU went right into Manhattan and slapped them silly? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you guys will win by at least two touchdowns (I honestly think you guys will win by three tds but we'll see).

I attended last year’s game in Manhattan; it was a tight game at the half.

This year is a new year, anything can happen. KSU returns something like 17 starters, they are a better team than last season. OU has several very young players and will be playing with a defensive front that has lots of unanswered questions.
The fact that it’s at home should help OU…. particularly if the crowd (students) responds to Stoops request for 4 quarters of noise

OKCisOK4me
09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
You're absolutely correct, anything can happen. I sincerely hope for you guys it's not a TTU repeat of last year. I felt bad for my OU homies and I was on vacation in Colorado!

SoonerBoy18
09-19-2012, 08:43 AM

K-State had a trap game last week in my opinion, they will be ready for OU it should be a close one.

ou48A
09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
This is what’s coming to Norman Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCXfqvTZQk

dankrutka
09-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Hilarious and true. Goldfish don't talk.

MonkeesFan
09-22-2012, 02:16 PM
3 straight night games so far? Is next week a afternoon game?

Here is to a good game and a Sooners win tonight, I hope!

SoonerQueen
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
http://youtu.be/YpMdIHgDmCA

venture
09-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Five minutes to go and regardless if some amazing miracle happens...can they please start benching starters (Landry) when they are sucking it up?

dcsooner
09-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Big money Bob and his sidekick brother lose. Prepare for more spin and arse whippings this year. Dudes getting paid handsomely for mediocrity, but many of you clones will blame it all on the players

venture
09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Its going to be a long year. Lubbock is going to be rough. Texas is always up for grabs. Notre Dame will probably beat us at home. WVU is going to be flat out ugly. OSU is anyones guess. TCU is probably a loss unless things improve.

So at least 3 more losses this year? Hello Alamo Bowl.

MonkeesFan
09-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I knew the Sooners would lose and I was right

Achilleslastand
09-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Big money Bob and his sidekick brother lose. Dudes getting paid for mediocrity

Amen to that.....

"big game" Bobby Stoops has been riding on the coattails of a nation title from over a decade ago......which incidently they barely won as the other teams best player was suspended.
OU can play bully or big man on the street against horrid teams like Valdosta State and Midd Tenn State but when it comes to playing top ranked teams they have fared only average or a notch above.
Haha...........

Jake
09-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Can't wait for the Landry Jones "era" to end. Ryan Broyles made him look like a half-way decent quarterback.

Dustin
09-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm not too upset about this loss. At least it wasn't to UTEP.

ljbab728
09-22-2012, 09:24 PM
"big game" Bobby Stoops has been riding on the coattails of a nation title from over a decade ago......which incidently they barely won as the other teams best player was suspended.

Heisman trophy winner, Chris Weinke, was suspended for the game? I never knew.

Achilleslastand
09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Heisman trophy winner, Chris Weinke, was suspended for the game? I never knew.

Marvin "Snoop" Minnis.........................

ljbab728
09-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Marvin "Snoop" Minnis.........................

How amazing. The Heisman winner was not the best player afterall. Maybe we should just give back the trophy even though we limited one of the best offensive teams of all time to 2 points.

OKCDrummer77
09-22-2012, 09:47 PM
The offense scored 0 points. The 2 was on a botched punt right at the end.

Achilleslastand
09-22-2012, 10:19 PM
How amazing. The Heisman winner was not the best player afterall. Maybe we should just give back the trophy even though we limited one of the best offensive teams of all time to 2 points.

No he wasnt the best player.....he was a system QB who had no business{or career} in the NFL. Pretty much like every OU QB in recent memory{besides Bradford}.

G.Walker
09-22-2012, 10:20 PM
The 2000 Championship team wasn't even Stoop's players, all the best players on that squad, coach John Blake recruited. To put it in perspective, Stoop's has never won a National Championship with players he and his coaching staff recruited. Yes, Stoop's has had success, but I only give him partial credit for the 2000 crystal ball. I honestly think its time for the Stoop's era to end.

ljbab728
09-22-2012, 10:51 PM
No he wasnt the best player.....he was a system QB who had no business{or career} in the NFL. Pretty much like every OU QB in recent memory{besides Bradford}.

I didn't think we were talking about the NFL. I bow down to your infinite knowlege of evaluating college talent since you are smarter than everyone who voted for the Heisman trophy that year. But it's really laughable to think that having that one player back would have altered the outcome of the game. I still have it on a CD and am very familiar with what happened.

Also I guess those players on that team that Stoops didn't recruit coached themselves all year. It's amazing that the same players didn't win a national championship before he arrived.

Achilleslastand
09-22-2012, 11:45 PM
I didn't think we were talking about the NFL. I bow down to your infinite knowlege of evaluating college talent since you are smarter than everyone who voted for the Heisman trophy that year. But it's really laughable to think that having that one player back would have altered the outcome of the game. I still have it on a CD and am very familiar with what happened.

Also I guess those players on that team that Stoops didn't recruit coached themselves all year. It's amazing that the same players didn't win a national championship before he arrived.

It was only a 11 pt victory so whos to say......
I stand by my OP that Stoops is quite overrated.......but hey thats hard to see when your beating up on Valdosta State and Midd Tenn State.

ljbab728
09-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I stand by my OP that Stoops is quite overrated.......but hey thats hard to see when your beating up on Valdosta State and Midd Tenn State.

Yes, only an 11 point victory over a team that was heavily favored. I guess Stoops was just very lucky to win.

Maybe OU should have been playing Florida Atlantic this week like Alabama was. But then every other top team only plays top 20 teams every week so who's to say.

MonkeesFan
09-23-2012, 01:32 AM
The 2000 Championship team wasn't even Stoop's players, all the best players on that squad, coach John Blake recruited. To put it in perspective, Stoop's has never won a National Championship with players he and his coaching staff recruited. Yes, Stoop's has had success, but I only give him partial credit for the 2000 crystal ball. I honestly think its time for the Stoop's era to end.

I have to disagree because if Stoops get fired, there is nobody out there that is good as Stoops and we will back in the bottom like in the 90's....

TaoMaas
09-23-2012, 06:47 AM
I have to disagree because if Stoops get fired, there is nobody out there that is good as Stoops and we will back in the bottom like in the 90's....

I totally agree, although it's looking like this may be one of Stoops' down years. Last night, it looked like our problems were with our offensive and defensive lines. We watched the game with some friends and were talking about how, for the first time since we could remember, OU didn't have a major talent on the defensive line. We were also speculating as to how many millions Landry may have cost himself by not going pro last year.

kevinpate
09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
A few more nights like last night, and he'll never know.

Just the facts
09-23-2012, 07:46 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but is it just possible that K-State is a good team?

09/01/12 Missouri State Bears
Won 51-9 ---

09/08/12 Miami (FL) Hurricanes
Won 52-13 ---

09/15/12 North Texas Mean Green
Won 35-21 ---

09/22/12 at Oklahoma Sooners
Won 24-19

venture
09-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Sure KSU could be a legitimate Top 10 team this year. That doesn't discount that OU is probably an average to sub par team (not Top 25 material) this year. Though KSU struggling some with North Texas isn't all that good, but probably rates the same against OU vs. UTEP.

The road doesn't get easier. Texas Tech, while not playing anyone significant yet, is always tough for us on their turf. We haven't won in Lubbock in 9 years.

Texas is an emotional game and go go either way.
Kansas isn't good right now, so that looks like a win there.
Notre Dame is going to be extremely tough for us. They play Miami FL in 2 weeks, so that will be the first "head to head" we can compare with KSU to measure how good they are.
Iowa State has a better record and OU right now. Wow...with one win over Big Ten rival Iowa and the other two Tulsa and FCS Western Illinois. Though OU *should* still be able to beat them easily.
Baylor seems to be back and forth. They can score well, but haven't played anyone yet...changes next weekend in Morgantown.
WVU has been humming along but don't get a real test until they go to Austin and Lubbock.
OSU can light it up, but also get lit up.
TCU hasn't posted any amazing wins, more so on part with OU vs. UTEP.

At the end of the day OU just hasn't been able to get the job done with its talent. Whaley was on tap to have a great game, and they bench him for what? To spread play around to other players? You don't do that when you are down. You keep your best in and let them do their thing. Jones has been growing in inconsistency. His happy feet and scrambling abilities are destroying his focus. Take a freaking sack instead of giving them the ball in the end zone. At some point you have to make the call to sit the players that aren't performing and try new ones. The loyalty to the senior is crap. Let the new kid get some more snaps to see what he can do. If they are going to fumble/turnover anyway, might as well get game experience built up for someone new.

As far as BCS chances, it is only one loss and it is early. However, this team needs to flip a switch and make an immediately 180 to have any shot. The talent is there, but the key players have to do what they are expected to do. At the same time the coaches need to do what is expected as well. Mike Stoops needs to get his players to start blowing up other players and actually playing solid defense. Heupel needs to start calling plays better and utilizing the skill that is available.

Stew
09-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but is it just possible that K-State is a good team?

09/01/12 Missouri State Bears
Won 51-9 ---

09/08/12 Miami (FL) Hurricanes
Won 52-13 ---

09/15/12 North Texas Mean Green
Won 35-21 ---

09/22/12 at Oklahoma Sooners
Won 24-19

As usual you're spot on.

jn1780
09-23-2012, 09:23 AM
We were also speculating as to how many millions Landry may have cost himself by not going pro last year.

He could always start a Mexican fast food chain with four other former players called: Five OU Guys and a Taco.

betts
09-23-2012, 09:43 AM
The talent isn't there this year. While Stoops is clearly not the best division I football coach, he is still one of the best. You don't fire a coach with his winning percentage and a national championship, or at least smart programs don't. You could question recruiting, as our offensive and defensive lines just don't have the size, strength or talent to create a top 5 team, but I don't think it was the coaching. Landry has a lot of talent, but it's unpredictable. He is clearly more mobile than last year, but he hesitates. He had one interception and got a bit lucky on two others where the defense was able to read his eyes because he was hesitating. Gabe Ikard has never played center before, and I think he's responsible for those two critical bad snaps, or at least that's what it looks like from where I was sitting. We miss Ben Habern. I think our receiving corps has a lot of potential, but they're not and may never be at the level of a Ryan Broyles. It's a down year. And any football program has ups and downs.

Bellaboo
09-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Big money Bob and his sidekick brother lose. Prepare for more spin and arse whippings this year. Dudes getting paid handsomely for mediocrity, but many of you clones will blame it all on the players

I totally agree. He's way over paid for his production.

Snyder out coached him in this game, even though Bob had 2 weeks to prepare. I'm an OU fan, but I've been tired of this regime for a while. Only a couple of years (with Sam B) have they really competed since 2003.

Stan Silliman
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM

You can complain about Stoops and his coaching in many ways but his out-of-conference scheduling shouldn't be faulted.

I don't think we've ever played Valdosta State and although occasionally we've had drop outs and had to fill with cupcakes, OU's strength of OOC opponents
have regularly bested most top twenty competitors. Plus, we've been willing to play OOC opponents on the road, or home and homes, something you are
want to find in the SEC.

In Stoops 11 years of in season scheduling OU has played:
Alabama twice (winning both)
Oregon twice (split)
Notre Dame twice (won first one)
North Carolina (Julius Peppers team)
UCLA (split)
TCU twice (split)
Miami of Florida twice (split)
Cincinnati twice (won both)
Louisville
Washington twice
Air Force twice
South Florida (Big East winner)
Fresno State
Florida State twice (won both)
BYU (lost)

The only local cups we kept playing were UTEP (3 times), North Texas (3 times) and Tulsa (5 times) who we had
coaching connections with, fans living near there and in some circles, these were considered good teams.

Criticize Stoops for other things but on Strength of Schedule, considering in most years the Big 12 was pretty
competitive, you can't knock him. It's the reason many of his teams were in BCS bowls, if not the championship
games.