View Full Version : Colorado Football

ljbab728
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
How lucky is the Big 12 that Colorado left the conference? After many years of being at least competitive in the Big 12 and the dominate team in the mountain states, they are obviously now one of the worst football programs in the country. Last week they lost to Sacramento State (Who?) and tonight they are trailing Fresno State 55 - 7 at half time.

Good riddance.

Snowman
09-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Iowa State was fighting them for that title for several years. I wonder if the weakness in the north conference was actually a benefit or more to do with Denver is one of the most over saturated sports markets and the more Colorado slid the more money shifted to the pro teams.

ljbab728
09-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Iowa State was fighting them for that title for several years. I wonder if the weakness in the north conference was actually a benefit or more to do with Denver is one of the most over saturated sports markets and the more Colorado slid the more money shifted to the pro teams.

I don't really think that money is the issue. I think it's just a lack of commitment and interest.

Weakness in the north didn't prevent them from defeating Texas in the Big 12 championship game 11 years ago.

adaniel
09-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Make that 69-14 Fresno State.

Outside of Nebraska, I'm not really missing any Big XII departures. They brought nothing to the league when they were in it and will bring nothing to their new leagues.

Mizzou struggled and barely won against mighty Arizona State, folded like a cheap suit against UGA, and will probably get rocked by South Carolina next week.

Texas A&M is perpetually overrated with their "traditions" and 1939 championship. They choked away a sure thing against UF, much like they did for years in the Big XII, and much like they did in the SWC before it.

Not sure how I feel about Nebraska. If they felt like an afterthought in the Big XII I see nothing that has changed for them in the B1G. I think that school is a little lost right now.

ljbab728
09-15-2012, 11:46 PM
It's true that all of the Big 12 expatriots have struggled. I still thnk the only one to say "good riddance" to is Colorado. The others still had their moments recently and I wouldn't say we're better off without them.

Pete
09-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Jon Embry is Colorado's John Blake (i.e. never even a coordinator at any level and in way over his head) and they better get rid of him soon otherwise their program may never recover. In his second season, they are significantly worse than when he took over, and they were already bad.

They were down 35-0 in the first quarter to an unranked Fresno team and gave up over 500 yards in the first HALF. They lost last week at HOME to a D-II school.

Colorado has never had fantastic support but they should be doing better than what is arguably the worst team in the FCS.

Kevin Sumlin will make aTm much better, but they may still never compete for the SEC title and Mizzou should have stayed hiding out in the Big XII North.

bluedogok
09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Just for selfish reasons I wish Colorado would've stayed in the Big 12, then OU would play up here every so often.....

I think Savannah State takes the title for worst team in I-AA/FCS, Sac State isn't a whole lot better though. You are right about the coach, Embree is their John Blake, the alum "who returns home" who is in over head. The unusual thing is that the Offensive Coordinator (Eric Bieniemy) is the same, the odd thing is that he an Embree have the same salary. The CU alums in my office don't want to talk much about the Buffs, they prefer talking Broncos since most feel the Buffs will be lucky to win a game. One of the reasons why Embree got the job (after it was turned down by a few others) was he was cheap since CU was still paying off Barnett and they had the new buyout for Hawkins. Much of what is going on at CU happens at colleges/universities all over the country, there are strong factions within the university trying to diminish the prominence of sports and others are fighting it. CU has just lose games, they have looked bad and inept and look like they have regressed since last year when there seemed to be some hope, they got smoked by Fresno State yesterday 69-14, it was 55-7 at the half. This excerpt from the AP story (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fresno-state-rolls-past-winless-034838060--ncaaf.html) pretty much says how bad they are

Colorado was outgained 516-123 in the first half, and the Bulldogs had twice as many touchdowns (eight) as the Buffaloes had first downs (four). It was the most yards allowed in any half by Colorado and one point shy of UCLA's 56-point first half in 1980 against the Buffaloes.
This team seems to make some of those teams in the late 70's to early 80's (like the 1980 game in Boulder against former OU coach Chuck Fairbanks 82-42 when OU was ranked #3) look decent, seems to be a new low point for their football program. I don't think that Embree will last the season if they continue like this.

Colorado State is also struggling as well, the win over CU (22-17) is their only win having lost to last years Div. I-AA/FCS champ North Dakota State (22-7) last week and losing at San Jose State (40-20) this week. They do have a new head coach this season who was the O.C. at Alabama last season, I think he will have them headed in the right direction but then the step to being "competitive" in the Mountain West is a lot shorter than it is for CU in the Pac 12.

Air Force looks to be the only decent team in the Front Range, they had a close game at Michigan (31-25) last weekend and beat Idaho State (49-21) for the first game.

MonkeesFan
09-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I am glad they left, Colorado-Sooners games are so boring, I wish Nebraska never left!

Roadhawg
09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I miss the Husker Sooners games. They were usually pretty good and hard fought no matter who the winner was.

MonkeesFan
09-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I miss the Husker Sooners games. They were usually pretty good and hard fought no matter who the winner was.

Just like the 2010 Big 12 Championship game! The Sooners and Huskers have many classic games! Like I said, I wish they never left!

Spartan
09-16-2012, 04:58 PM
I am glad they left, Colorado-Sooners games are so boring, I wish Nebraska never left!

I thought they were occasionally thrilling.

MonkeesFan
09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I thought they were occasionally thrilling.

For Colorado fans when Colorado kicked the game winning field goal