View Full Version : Some Teens May Not Find Summer Jobs

Jay
06-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Summer job market looks bleak for teens
By Shirleen Holt
The Seattle Times

SEATTLE - If the job market is improving again, why can't Barbara Sims get a job at McDonald's?

Other young workers may be wondering the same thing. Despite two years of job gains across the nation, the dramatic drop in youth employment shows no signs of reversing.

Only 36.7 percent of U.S. teenagers will find work this summer, according to the latest forecast from Northeastern University's Center for Labor Market Studies.

That estimate may be optimistic, however. In the past three years, actual employment numbers fell below economists' predictions. If this summer follows that pattern, it could be the worst teen job market on record.

"Normally, 20 months into the jobs recovery, teenagers would not only gain jobs, but they would begin to gain disproportionately," said Andrew Sum, an economist and author of the study released this month. "This time around, they've got zero."

In Washington state, 40 percent of teens held jobs in 2004, compared with 56 percent in 2000. The numbers are better for 20- to 24-year-olds, but still below typical youth employment levels, despite Washington gaining 116,000 jobs over the past two years.

"The lower-wage, entry-level jobs are now being taken by adults," said Caroline Maillard, who heads youth programs for the Workforce Development Council of Seattle-King County. "And when you talk about teens and young adults who don't have a lot of education under their belts, the trends get more severe."

Sims, a 20-year-old former foster child whose frequent moves cost her a high-school diploma, is aiming for retail jobs. "I've applied everywhere. Starbucks, the Bon, McDonald's, Safeway. They're, like, 'We'll call and let you know.'"

Patrick
06-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I think it just goes to show you how desparate some adults are in the current job economy. Sure, the numbers may be encouraging...more people are finding work. But, many people who were layed off from their high paying manufacturing jobs and computer jobs, are now having to take work in other, less paying fields, many fields where teens once worked during the summer.

The economy has improved somewhat since the recession in Bush's 1st term, but it's nowhere close to flourishing like it was in the 90's.

I guess this just means kids will have to stay hoem this summer. Means more chances for teen trouble I guess.

Keith
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
I think it just goes to show you how desparate some adults are in the current job economy. Sure, the numbers may be encouraging...more people are finding work. But, many people who were layed off from their high paying manufacturing jobs and computer jobs, are now having to take work in other, less paying fields, many fields where teens once worked during the summer.

The economy has improved somewhat since the recession in Bush's 1st term, but it's nowhere close to flourishing like it was in the 90's.

I guess this just means kids will have to stay hoem this summer. Means more chances for teen trouble I guess.
Fortunately, my son isn't staying home this summer. Currently, he is working at Chik-Fil-A at Crossroads Mall, however, he went to his second job interview this afternoon at Mardel's Christian and office supply. He says the interview went well. The only downfall is that it is minimum wage, and right now he is making a little more than that. He is just ready to get out of the fast food rat race.