View Full Version : US Ambassador to Libya, killed.

mmonroe
09-12-2012, 08:41 AM
BBC News - US confirms its Libya ambassador killed in Benghazi (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19570254)

The US ambassador to Libya is among four Americans killed in an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, President Barack Obama has confirmed.

Roadhawg
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
That's too bad... Sounds like another Iraq, no plan was in place for when the leader was taken out.

Just the facts
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Who should have been doing this planning?

Roadhawg
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Who should have been doing this planning?

I would say the group of nations who were responsible for the leaders ouster. Be that the UN, NATO or individual countries.

Just the facts
09-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Wouldn't that be the Arab Spring crowd?

Roadhawg
09-12-2012, 02:19 PM
They would need to be part of it I'm sure.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Did I hear--or interpret correctly--on NPR this morning, that the "cause" behind this event and those in other Islamic areas was a Youtube Video dissing Mohammed? (or Muhammed or Muhammad or [however it needs to be spelled] to avoid The Wrath of Morons?)

OKCTalker
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I've seen a lot of images of radicals throughout the compound and significant damage to buildings, but nothing yet showing that we've regained control and have combat troops on the scene. Do we not do that any longer, or do we simply surrender our embassy and withdraw when our ambassador is murder and our compound seized?

metro
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
I've seen a lot of images of radicals throughout the compound and significant damage to buildings, but nothing yet showing that we've regained control and have combat troops on the scene. Do we not do that any longer, or do we simply surrender our embassy and withdraw when our ambassador is murder and our compound seized?

We do with the anti-colonialist Barry in charge, it used to be considered an act of war.

metro
09-13-2012, 09:03 AM

We do with the anti-colonialist Barry in charge, it used to be considered an act of war.

Roadhawg
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Did I hear--or interpret correctly--on NPR this morning, that the "cause" behind this event and those in other Islamic areas was a Youtube Video dissing Mohammed? (or Muhammed or Muhammad or [however it needs to be spelled] to avoid The Wrath of Morons?)

This is an interesting story about what is upsetting them As protests spread, mystery shrouds anti-Islam film - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/13/world/anti-islam-filmmaker/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

Roadhawg
09-13-2012, 09:15 AM

I don't think the embassy has surrendered at all and the local police are handling it, just as what would happen if an embassy was attacked in any other country, with the exception of Iran several years ago. The pictures I've seen of the crowd has been outside the embassy grounds.

HewenttoJared
09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
EVE mourns Vile Rat, aka Sean Smith, Killed in Libya #tweetfleet (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/vile-rat-killed-in-libya-as-gamers-mourn-diplomatic-dogooder-20120913-25tu3.html)

HewenttoJared
09-13-2012, 09:38 AM

The spelling isn't as important as the PBUH. But you don't strike me as the kind of guy to care what the crazies think about you.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2012, 09:40 AM
The spelling isn't as important as the PBUH. But you don't strike me as the kind of guy to care what the crazies think about you.

From the NPR report, neither was OUR Ambassador to Libya. (by all accounts he was a warm, nice fellow who only wanted to do good things. Even in a sh*ithole like where he was posted.)

HewenttoJared
09-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Yep, seems to have been a genuinely good person. Too bad.

Dubya61
09-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Combat ships (presumably loaded with Marines) are there or very close and a small contingent of Marines are already on the site in addition to those that were stationed there.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Again: All of this was touched off by a friggin' Youtube video?
It ain't like someone shot Archduke Ferdinand in The Balkans . . . Geez.
(can you imagine even poll "christians" or "jews" doing stuff like this at MOMA or The Endowment for The Arts over pissing on crucifixes or torahs?)

HewenttoJared
09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
The NPR and Christian Science Monitor articles on this today have been eye-opening.

GaryOKC6
09-13-2012, 12:08 PM
This seems like it was an opportunity to use this protest as an excuse to hit our ebassy on the anneversary of 9/11

OKCTalker
09-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Many here recall an American named Andres Serrano who submerged a crucifix in a glass of urine, photographed it and named the photo "Piss Christ." It became a focal point in the discussion of public funding for the arts. Although the photo was destroyed last year, I don't recall Christianas attacking U.S. Embassies around the world following Serrano's incident for the desecration of a crucifix.

Dubya61
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
A CSM article that HwtJ refered me to (post 19) says this very likely was more about using religion to flex and aggregate power. Not so much about ideology.

Roadhawg
09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
A CSM article that HwtJ refered me to (post 19) says this very likely was more about using religion to flex and aggregate power. Not so much about ideology.

exactly

GaryOKC6
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
By all accounts he seed like a good guy and it is a shame to see this taken out on him. The Middle East is a very dangerous place to be, especially if you are American. Make me really appreciative that I don't live there. It has been that way as long as i can remember and I don't think it will ever change.

metro
09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Looks like new info is coming out Obama has been skipping security briefings since the 5th and the State Dept. knew about the potential danger 48 hours prior.

Report: State Dept. Had ‘Credible Information’ 48 Hours Prior to Libya Consulate Attack | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report-state-dept-had-credible-information-48-hours-prior-to-libya-consulate-attack-but-failed-to-act/)

mugofbeer
09-13-2012, 09:14 PM
To be fair to the POTUS (who I have no love for), he's out on the campaign trail. The security briefing can be put on paper and read which is what he has been doing. It is not the POTUS who orders additional security at embassies but the State Department.

Roadhawg
09-14-2012, 06:37 AM
To be fair to the POTUS (who I have no love for), he's out on the campaign trail. The security briefing can be put on paper and read which is what he has been doing. It is not the POTUS who orders additional security at embassies but the State Department.

I believe, but may be wrong, the hosting country also has a say on if they want armed Marines at the embassy.

Buffalo Bill
09-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Looks like new info is coming out Obama has been skipping security briefings since the 5th and the State Dept. knew about the potential danger 48 hours prior.

Report: State Dept. Had ‘Credible Information’ 48 Hours Prior to Libya Consulate Attack | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report-state-dept-had-credible-information-48-hours-prior-to-libya-consulate-attack-but-failed-to-act/)

Getting "news" from the Blaze is like getting it from the Daily Show.

Roadhawg
09-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Except the Daily Show if funny

Just the facts
09-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Is this source any better?

Revealed: inside story of US envoy's assassination - World Politics - World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-inside-story-of-us-envoys-assassination-8135797.html)

According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

Sadly, these types of attacks have to be responded to with over-the-top retaliation. Otherwise they just embolden the terrorist. Remember all of the small attacks that led up to 9/11? Kobar Towers, the embassies in Africa, USS Cole, etc...

If we have no interest in doing that then we should 100% withdraw from the region and try to get the rest of the world to keep anyone from getting in or out.

Dubya61
09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

We had a meteorologist on one of the ships I was stationed on that we called Doom-and-Gloom. He perfectly predicted every bit of bad weather we ran into ... and a lot we didn't. There is a new warning every day with vaguely credible information. Some intel factories report them all under the assumption that they won't be responsible for ignoring a threat but crying wolf is OK. With each new day a smart intel factory tracking threats can correlate them to actions. We now know that that source was valid -- sadly at the cost of four lives. That's the nature of the beast (and it is a beast).

BoulderSooner
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I believe, but may be wrong, the hosting country also has a say on if they want armed Marines at the embassy.

that would be wrong

Roadhawg
09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
OK... I wasn't sure what control the hosting country had over security.

HewenttoJared
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Is this source any better?

Revealed: inside story of US envoy's assassination - World Politics - World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-inside-story-of-us-envoys-assassination-8135797.html)

Sadly, these types of attacks have to be responded to with over-the-top retaliation. Otherwise they just embolden the terrorist. Remember all of the small attacks that led up to 9/11? Kobar Towers, the embassies in Africa, USS Cole, etc...

If we have no interest in doing that then we should 100% withdraw from the region and try to get the rest of the world to keep anyone from getting in or out.

Slightly better. Slightly different.

wallbreaker
09-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm loathe to play the "we knew something and did nothing" game, unless I see something that says we had SPECIFIC and ACTIONABLE intelligence. Generic "we might get hit somewhere/sometime" rumors are useless. It's the same game people played post 9/11.

Now I'm more interested in discussing if what is going on now is a result of the past 3.75 years of foreign policy. At some point, the current administration has to own that.

BlackmoreRulz
09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Thought this (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201645180959880549419.0004c9a894dfb66defab 9&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=m&source=embed&ll=32.10119,42.1875&spn=57.886601,105.46875&z=3) was pretty interesting, it shows all of the different protest occurrences around the world.

Achilleslastand
09-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Thought this (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201645180959880549419.0004c9a894dfb66defab 9&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=m&source=embed&ll=32.10119,42.1875&spn=57.886601,105.46875&z=3) was pretty interesting, it shows all of the different protest occurrences around the world.

Amsterdam really?
Who woulda thought this would ever happen in the Netherlands. Are we not too far off from this here?
Hopefully they are having 2nd thoughts on multiculturism and diversity........

HewenttoJared
09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Hopefully they are having 2nd thoughts on multiculturism and diversity........

Ooops accidentally sounded like Libyans who dun the killin.

Achilleslastand
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Ooops accidentally sounded like Libyans who dun the killin.

Looks like someone needs to go over some spelling lessons with Tipper......

Bellaboo
09-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I saw the pictures of him being drug through the streets and it's very disturbing in the least.........

BoulderSooner
09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
someone at state should be fired / go to jail over this ..

HewenttoJared
09-19-2012, 01:45 PM

How about we punish the people who did it instead?

PennyQuilts
09-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I saw the pictures of him being drug through the streets and it's very disturbing in the least.........

Agreed. It makes you sick to see any of it. Poor soul.

PennyQuilts
09-19-2012, 03:53 PM

I agree. And at this point, Hillary hasn't even come forward - nor has Obama - to clean up,explain, apologize for all the falsehoods and misinformation they gave out regarding "the video," the claim that it was spontaneous, the absurd decisions regarding security - and the falsehoods provided about that by the state department. Hillary seems to have gone to ground. Coward.

Bellaboo
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Agreed. It makes you sick to see any of it. Poor soul.

Part of what bothers me is that I had read the release and it said a rocket powered grenade had hit them in the compound. When I saw the pictures, his body was in tact, not as if it had been blown to bits. He died a brutal death by beating.

Bellaboo
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I thought the doctors said he died of smoke inhalation.

His body was brutally beaten. He was drug through the streets by thugs. Very disturbing to see those pictures of him being kicked around.

Easy180
09-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Trying desperately to tie this to Obama....Almost there...

CaptDave
09-19-2012, 08:21 PM

I agree. And at this point, Hillary hasn't even come forward - nor has Obama - to clean up,explain, apologize for all the falsehoods and misinformation they gave out regarding "the video," the claim that it was spontaneous, the absurd decisions regarding security - and the falsehoods provided about that by the state department. Hillary seems to have gone to ground. Coward.

This is disturbing for sure. You mean falsehoods like people here saying the Libyans who tried to help the Ambassador drug him through the street and beat him? In that part of the world you can't call 911 and have an ambulance show up nearly anywhere within a few minutes. He was handled in a manner consistent with the Libyan's sense of urgency to get him medical attention - there was no beating or dragging - they were merely carrying him to a random car because that was the only transport method available.

His body was brutally beaten. He was drug through the streets by thugs. Very disturbing to see those pictures of him being kicked around.

Those "thugs" were trying to get the Ambassador to a hospital. Can you set aside your prejudice for a second and consider that maybe they were saying "Allah akhbar" because he was alive?

ThomPaine
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM

You should maybe save the hate speech fueled by "news" reports posted on The Blaze for the Politics forum. This is one of the weakest posts I have seen from you. Shameful.

Bellaboo
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
This is disturbing for sure. You mean falsehoods like people here saying the Libyans who tried to help the Ambassador drug him through the street and beat him? In that part of the world you can't call 911 and have an ambulance show up nearly anywhere within a few minutes. He was handled in a manner consistent with the Libyan's sense of urgency to get him medical attention - there was no beating or dragging - they were merely carrying him to a random car because that was the only transport method available.

I have an email with 2 still pics. He is over someone's shoulder being carried......the other picture has him in the street, being picked up or grabbed
Those "thugs" were trying to get the Ambassador to a hospital. Can you set aside your prejudice for a second and consider that maybe they were saying "Allah akhbar" because he was alive?

I have an email with 2 still pics. He is over someone's shoulder being carried......the other picture has him in the street, being picked up or grabbed from behind. He's purple/blue and it is tramatizing.
Is this how they took him to the hospital ? It is very disturbing, his face has suffered trauma. I tried to embed in this but I couldn't get it to copy...not to good with PC's.....

I'm not blaming anyone, but it just isn't good.
Like you say, maybe this was all they had to get him where he needed to go.....

PennyQuilts
09-20-2012, 07:39 PM
You should maybe save the hate speech fueled by "news" reports posted on The Blaze for the Politics forum. This is one of the weakest posts I have seen from you. Shameful.

My suggestion is that you start watching the news. The WH fairytale has fallen to pieces. In this case, Obama shot first and aimed, later. As did Hillary. Their story is ludicrous and everyone knows it. Even CBS and the like are coming out and expressing disbelief that they tried to spin this like this. And the man went to Vegas, Letterman and swanky campaign parties when there was a successful 911 terrorist attack on our consulate resulting in the assassination of our ambassador. THAT's shameful.

Easy180
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
My suggestion is that you start watching the news. The WH fairytale has fallen to pieces. In this case, Obama shot first and aimed, later. As did Hillary. Their story is ludicrous and everyone knows it. Even CBS and the like are coming out and expressing disbelief that they tried to spin this like this. And the man went to Vegas, Letterman and swanky campaign parties when there was a successful 911 terrorist attack on our consulate resulting in the assassination of our ambassador. THAT's shameful.

So is it safe to say you are leaning towards Romney now?

Bellaboo
09-20-2012, 09:20 PM
So is it safe to say you are leaning towards Romney now?

Don't get the connection between this life lost and the election ?

stick47
09-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Highlights: Pat Caddell Says: Media Have Become an "Enemy of the American people" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBR4g6cBYeA&feature=player_embedded#)!

metro
10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Some of the truth may be starting to come out of the Libya coverup, here's to hoping the house of cards falls.

UPDATE 1-U.S. officials sought security before Libya attack- lawmakers | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/02/usa-libya-security-idUSL1E8L279I20121002)

Dubya61
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I saw this article, too, and wondered if it was a blame-deflection move by an embassy official waving around a standard, recurring annual request from the embassy for security improvements (maybe they have a boilerplate request for funds every year and that request just so happened to be tied to security improvements in Benghazi if there happened to be any end-of-year money laying around?) or was it a legitimate request denied by State? Was it denied by State because there were other funding requests out there that seemed to be more pressing? There is so much about this that we, the American public simply cannot know. If it happens to be a pressing need that the consullate presented but was denied where there were clearly no more pressing matters, that's a shame, but it would be very hard to say without the benefit of hindsight.

Easy180
10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Some of the truth may be starting to come out of the Libya coverup, here's to hoping the house of cards falls.

UPDATE 1-U.S. officials sought security before Libya attack- lawmakers | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/02/usa-libya-security-idUSL1E8L279I20121002)

I've heard Issa is available if y'all need him