View Full Version : Little Sahara (duning)

BBatesokc
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Anyone here gone duning at Little Sahara State Park in recent years?

The wife and I have always wanted to go and have decided to plan a trip in the next few weeks for our 13th anniversary.

Planning on going to Waynoka and staying in town and renting a buggy or two for 24hours.

Anyone have any tips (places to stay, places to eat, places to rent ATV's, other things to do in the area)? Considering doing some searching for a B&B in the area too. Looks like some good hiking also.

Haven't been up that way in year - since going to Freedom and Alabaster Caverns and the Selman Bat Cave.

Buffalo Bill
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Cafe Bahnhof in Waynoka is a must. Check out their Facebook page. It is a gem for that part of the state. Call ahead to see when they are open.

kevinpate
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Probably further out than you'd want, but anytime I've ever needed to lay my head down out that way w/o getting deep into the panhandle itself, I've taken one of the little duplex cabins at Boiling Springs park just on the northeast side of Woodward.

I like them, especially near deer season time. Deer seem to flock for miles around to the safety of the park and in the eve congregate at the day area just off the edge and down a small grade from the cabin area. Also a plus is no phone. Make myself a steak dinner at night, some eggs and small steak for breakfast and then go play/work for the day.

I've never been to the dunes though. Maybe I oughta rethink that sometime soon.

Dubya61
09-07-2012, 10:36 AM
My grandparents owned the Little Sahara motel LONG ago, and we would spend part of the summers with them. We would always go out to the park and take a guided "dune buggy" tour, that was really a 4WD convertible SUV. Once, the guide took us to a spot where we stopped and got out, dug a but in the sand and reached snow. Time and foggy memory makes it so I can't tell you what time of year it was, but it was a great trip. I love that area. I saw a great news story about Cafe Bahnhoff. Said they had great and very authentic Bavarian food.

Wishbone
09-09-2012, 04:51 PM
I used to ride my atv up there all the time. It is tons of fun, you won't be disappointed. Just always made day trips so never stayed the night though. You might be able to take in a Rattlesnake hunt!

yukong
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
There is also a decent mexican restaurant in the old historic Harvey House at the Santa Fe Depot. You need to go see the fully restored Harvey House. it is a great history lesson. And if you have time...ask the attendant in the gift shop to let you go upstairs to see the museum. Very fascinating. Just by way of a bit of history...before airplanes could fly coast to coast...the forerunner to TWA created a transcontinental transportation system. The way it worked was that a person would board a train in New York City and travel all night to Chicago. At Chicago, they would board a plane. That play would fly to Waynoka, Oklahoma. From there, you would ride a sleeper train to somewhere around Clovis, New Mexico. (overnight). Then you would fly from Clovis to LA. It was a 2 day trip coast to coast. At one time, there was a very large airport at Waynoka. And the Santa Fe operation was huge. There was at one time, almost 1000 railroad employees that lived in Waynoka. They had a huge ice plant that made ice for refrigerated train cars. There was a huge round house. (all gone) and many other operations necessary for the train. Waynoka was and is still on the BNSF transcend line from Chicago to LA. Dozens of trains pass through there every day. There are two main lines. East/West. Waynoka is just rich with history. In fact, the Harvey House there was once host to Charles Lindberg. Lindy was part of the Transcontinental Airlines operation and was the one that scouted out the best place for the planes to fly in and out. He picked Waynoka. Sadly, the plane/train operation only lasted about 3 years because of the advancement of airplanes. They were capable of transcon flight within just 3 or so years. The museum there in the Harvey House tells the whole story.

ljbab728
09-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Maybe, I'm not understanding. You can't visit the museum without asking the gift shop attendant to let you in?

yukong
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
the gift shop attendant supervises the museum. Waynoka is a small town. They use volunteers. They don't usually have the people to man both. It really isn't complicated.

Roadhawg
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I may need to take my jeep out there for a weekend.