View Full Version : Has anyone had a reading from a medium?

acumpton
09-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I know it's a little out there, but was wondering if anyone believes that mediums are real or had a reading from one proclaiming to be real? I was watching a show earlier, Long Island Medium, and I can't make up my mind up about it. Figured I would get others opinions on it. Thanks.

Achilleslastand
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
The only thing they are good at is seperating you from your wallet

Bunty
09-03-2012, 09:13 PM
No, I haven't. That spooky stuff is best stayed away from. If you experience other forms of the the paranormal, like by not understanding how it can be happening that the Ouija board is spelling out accurate answers to questions and making people freak out and leave the party, well, it's best to stay away from it.

kevinpate
09-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Never had a reading by a medium. I did get read the riot act by a husky relative a time or two in my younger days, but that's about it.

poe
09-04-2012, 04:59 AM
I had my palm read a few years back. I wasn't looking for anything definitive; a friend a I just thought it would be fun. Turns out it was all a load of crap. :)

HewenttoJared
09-04-2012, 05:26 AM
I think if mediums could tell you anything of substance at least one could have proven it over the centuries.

stick47
09-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Go see a Chinese astrologist. With your date and time of birth they'll be able to give you some real predictions about your future.

BBatesokc
09-04-2012, 06:37 AM
The only thing they are good at is seperating you from your wallet

+1

Roadhawg
09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
I've watched that show a few times and if she does what she say's she does that's pretty amazing. My opinion did go down when she did a Priceline commercial and channeled William Shatner lol

catch22
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
It's an art form of mind manipulation. They start out with very generic interpretations...which lead to what seem like more in-depth "answers" but are really just more focused, but still very generic answers that have a high percentage chance of being accurate. Also, notice how the question/answers get the person talking, they aren't yes or no questions. So you can be fishing for answers to use later or to get a better understanding of what type of person you are interviewing, so you know what set of generic questions/answers should follow.

Interpreter: "Your grandmother, she liked to garden right?"
(Very high chance your grandmother did, that's an easy one)
Which would lead to what seem like more in depth questions but all are still very generic.

Interpreter: "Your grandmother, she liked a certain type of flower....I am feeling....were they bright flowers she liked the most?"
(So we now know she likes to garden, which means she would like flowers and would have a favorite type, most people do like bright flowers so it's a safe answer to present. High percentage chance you will be right) At this point, you will have the person giving you answers.
Person: "Yes, her favorite type of flowers were _____"
Interviewer: "Oh, that's lovely, ______ flowers are usually associated with joy, your grandmother was a happy and active person I am feeling."
(Insert active in the conversation to start fishing for certain activities to start steering questions towards activity so she can present answers of the grandmothers hobbies)

All the interpreter is doing is masking very generic questions with the illusion of being very detailed. Notice when they are wrong, they backtrack and go just a little more generic to get back on track. It's no easy game to play, but it can be done.

zookeeper
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I dropped in on a whim for a card reading one time 15 years ago. My mind tells me it's BS but maybe there are some with an unexplained sort of gift. I was told I would hear a bunch of generic stuff that would fit anyone but this woman nailed several things that were very specific. She told me I had recently lost someone very close to me and was having a hard time letting go, I was considering a move to the west coast and it would be a good fit for me, I had just broken up with a girlfriend and it was for the best. All of these things were true, all of them. I walked out of there blown away and I no longer question things we don't understand.

White Peacock
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll reserve any readings for the mystic who wins Jame's Randi's $1M Paranormal Challenge. That would be an indication that they're the real deal.

Roadhawg
09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Personally I prefer medium rare :Smiley199