View Full Version : Good Local Pizza Options

RadicalModerate
09-03-2012, 07:23 AM
One of the highlights of our recent trip to Minneapolis/St.Paul was a stop at this place (recommended by my son/daughter in law).

http://www.elementpizza.com/

It was superb and I was wondering if The Wedge or one of the other relatively new local pizza places offers the same sort of product.

BTW: A different stop during the trip was the Toby Keith's location in a remodeled warehouse district in St. Louis Park. Sorry to say that it was very average (at least the "Pulled Pork" sandwich was). My wife couldn't even eat her Turkey Melt on account of its less-than-averageness.

betts
09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
The menu you linked looks fairly similar to the Wedge. I personally am a big fan of the Wedge. I think their salads are excellent, love the Trio with artichoke dip, olive tapenade and red pepper hummus. The meatball appetizer is delicious and there are multiple pizza options I really like. Their pizza does not taste like traditional pizza, to me. It's not going to resemble what you'll get at Hideaway, for example. Both appeal to me at different points in time. I know some people who really like Upper Crust as well, and some who have given it so so reviews as well.

RadicalModerate
09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Betts! The "Upper Crust" was the other place I was trying to think of.
We chose to split a 12" "cheese pizza" topped with arugula, basil and prosciuto. As you said, it isn't like a "regular" pizza (although I like a good "regular" pizza as much as the next guy. The pizza was preceeded by an ala carte house salad that contained some of the freshest, crispiest, tastiest greens ever. (Having Summit EPA on tap, by the pint, didn't hurt either. =)

betts
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
You can get COOP F5 at the Wedge, which is my favorite summer beer.

sooner88
09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
That menu does look very similar to the Wedge and Upper Crust. I personally like the Wedge better, but the past few times I have gone to Upper Crust it has been much much better.

WilliamTell
09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
I know this isnt the same type of pizza, but all american pizza (i think there are several locations) is great. Even online reviews are stellar.

Easy180
09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I know this isnt the same type of pizza, but all american pizza (i think there are several locations) is great. Even online reviews are stellar.

Best "cheap" pizza out there IMO

OKC Localvore
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM

I tried Joey's Pizzeria near downtown OKC yesterday and really enjoyed it! I was surprised and happy to see they offer Alfredo sauce as the base for many of their pizzas. We had the Cheesy Garlic Bread and the Spinach Alfredo pizza with chicken on hand-tossed dough. It was really good! The only odd thing about our meal was the marinara dipping sauce that came with the cheesy bread was chilled... I would have preferred it warm. I do recommend trying this place, though!

http://www.joeyspizzeriaokc.com/menu.html

UnclePete
09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Years ago my favorite pizza was from Ned's, Nicolosi's or any one of the Sussy's. Are there any similar tasting pizzas available any where now?

Achilleslastand
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Years ago my favorite pizza was from Ned's, Nicolosi's or any one of the Sussy's. Are there any similar tasting pizzas available any where now?

Im not sure about the other 2 but from what i remember from Nicolosi's as a kid Jo's Famous pizza is somewhat similiar.
http://josfamouspizza.com/

Martin
09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
if you like new york style... papa angelo's. -M

CCOKC
09-05-2012, 04:03 AM

For what it is worth The Nomad at 73 and N. May is supposed to have Sussy's pizza.

ctchandler
09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
CCOKC,
That is true. At one time, Nomad's was a Sussy's store (or Jake Samara's with Sussy's name). I think the pizza is identical with minor changes over the years, like ground Italian sausage instead of sliced.
C. T.

ctchandler
09-05-2012, 10:51 AM
UnclePete,
How could you survive with all that grease from Ned's pizza? I'm only asking because I survived and don't know how. It was good but as much as I like grease, I had to drain it for a minute or two before I could eat it. I ate at Nicolosi's when I was a child but I really was too young and don't remember them.
C. T.

UnclePete
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I let the grease partially drain off like you did. Was it their pizza that was served on a piece of plywood?

UnclePete,
How could you survive with all that grease from Ned's pizza? I'm only asking because I survived and don't know how. It was good but as much as I like grease, I had to drain it for a minute or two before I could eat it. I ate at Nicolosi's when I was a child but I really was too young and don't remember them.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I let the grease partially drain off like you did. Was it their pizza that was served on a piece of plywood?

When I first read this I thought you were making fun of their crust.

As I know that I've said before, to me the crust either makes or breaks a pizza. I've always preferred thin, chewy/crispy, "New York Style" crust and the pizza at Element is sort of like that but not exactly. Whatever differences there are amount to improvements. I tried Papa Angelo's once and it was great, but not long after that they did one of their apparently cyclical business shutdowns. Glad they are open again, but I know that we will be giving the pizza at The Wedge a try before making the drive across town to Angelo's.

Better pizza on a piece of plywood than spaghetti, no . . ? =)

ddavidson8
09-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm saying Mazzio's. I hate not having one within 150 miles. :please:

RadicalModerate
09-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Didn't Mazzio's morph into "Zio's" (for the discriminating, upscale diner)? We have a Mazzio's just up the street (near a Pizza Hut, a Papa John's, and not far from a Little Caesar's). Never been there. Probably why we don't have a Dairy Queen anywhere in the vicinity. (did i forget to mention that "pizza" isn't at the top of my list of culinary delights? with the exception of exceptional pizza? =)

metro
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Papa Angelo's and Humble Pie, that's all you need to know. Crooked Crust in Normand and The Wedge come in a close third.

OSUPeterson
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
No one is going to mention Sauced in Paseo. Great pizza and a really cool place to hang out and drink and eat said pizza.

I personally love their Hawaiian pizza with the fresh jalapenos on it. My fiance loves their giant rice krispy treats.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
We love The Paseo.
But I think The Wedge is closer.
The last--and first--time I ever saw Giant Rice Krispy Treats was last week at the very new location of an old, well established "greasy spoon" restaurant in St. Paul (Keyes alt. sp. Keys) in Forest Lake. They were selling them on behalf of some charity. They were really, really good. With or without the charity connection. =)

Stew
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
No one is going to mention Sauced in Paseo. Great pizza and a really cool place to hang out and drink and eat said pizza.

I personally love their Hawaiian pizza with the fresh jalapenos on it. My fiance loves their giant rice krispy treats.

I ate there a couple of weeks ago and by far the best pizza I've had in OKC.

G.Walker
09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

I tried Joey's Pizzeria near downtown OKC yesterday and really enjoyed it! I was surprised and happy to see they offer Alfredo sauce as the base for many of their pizzas. We had the Cheesy Garlic Bread and the Spinach Alfredo pizza with chicken on hand-tossed dough. It was really good! The only odd thing about our meal was the marinara dipping sauce that came with the cheesy bread was chilled... I would have preferred it warm. I do recommend trying this place, though!

http://www.joeyspizzeriaokc.com/menu.html

Joey's Pizzeria is by far the best pizza I had in OKC, every time I go, I get the specialty pizza called The Heap, it's unbelievable!

Bigrayok
09-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Nomad, Pizza House, and Meiki's are my favorite pizzas in OKC. I do like the Wedge, Upper Crust, Joey's, Pizinni's, All American Pizza, Hobby's Hoagies, Flip's, Papa Angelo's, and numerous other pizza places also. I used to like Pizza Hut's sausage pizza but it appears they changed the toppings to what appears to be larger pieces of sausage but fewer sausage toppings on their pizzas. I loved Nicolosi's pizza and have not had pizza like it since they closed. It was real greasy, which I like. I had heard they used beer in the recipe but I do not know if it was true. I like a thin crust pizza but enjoy deep dish also. No one does deep dish in Oklahoma City like My Pi used to in my opinion. The difference maker with them was the ingredients they used. The sausage on their pizzas was the best I have eaten on a deep dish pizza in OKC. I love pizza and am always open to new places.

Bigray in Ok

SSEiYah
09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Humble pie has a pretty good deep dish.

Martin
02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
i think i already know the answer to this... but do any of you okctalkers know if there's any place in the metro area that does detroit style pizza? i was introduced a couple months ago and have been jonesing for a square. -M

warreng88
02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
i think i already know the answer to this... but do any of you okctalkers know if there's any place in the metro area that does detroit style pizza? i was introduced a couple months ago and have been jonesing for a square. -M

What exactly is Detroit style?

CaptDave
02-20-2014, 04:03 PM
What exactly is Detroit style?

Yes - please tell what makes a pizza Detroit style. I know about NY and Chicago but this is the first time I've heard of Detroit style.

Martin
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
i hadn't heard of it myself until about six months ago when planning a trip to detroit... essentially it's a rectangular pizza cut into squares. thick crust, cheese, toppings, then sauce on top. it's a horrible example, but little caesar's started out near detroit which is why their product used to be square shaped... but trust me, it's a pale imitation of the real thing. while up there, i tried a popular place called buddy's and it was amazing.

here's an example i pulled off gis. notice how there's a ring of burnt cheese around the edges? it's pure deliciousness. -M

http://www.michigan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg

Mike_M
02-20-2014, 04:37 PM
I believe Dominos used to sell pizza like this. Little Caesar's as well. Not sure if there are any locals that specialize in it though.

Garin
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Little Caesars still has it they call it pan pan, and if you order one and ask for it well done it's surprisingly good. Just make sure you don't get it hot and ready ask for well done.

Paseofreak
02-20-2014, 06:14 PM
These guys are one of the places that really got the "Detroit" style square pizza thing going. The edges were so good that side pieces were $1 and corner pieces were $2. That was back in '69 though.

Menu : Original Buscemis (http://originalbuscemis.com/menu/)

Jersey Boss
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
In the greater NYC metro area this would be called a Sicilian Pie.

Achilleslastand
02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
i hadn't heard of it myself until about six months ago when planning a trip to detroit... essentially it's a rectangular pizza cut into squares. thick crust, cheese, toppings, then sauce on top. it's a horrible example, but little caesar's started out near detroit which is why their product used to be square shaped... but trust me, it's a pale imitation of the real thing. while up there, i tried a popular place called buddy's and it was amazing.

here's an example i pulled off gis. notice how there's a ring of burnt cheese around the edges? it's pure deliciousness. -M

http://www.michigan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg

That looks mouth watering....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20VwNxBJ64

Humble Pie in Edmond does make a great pie just not in the square shape.

warreng88
02-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Would the big dinner box from Pizza Hut be considered Detroit style?

Mr. Cotter
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I wish we had a Jet's franchise here. It's Detroit style, and really, really good for cheap pizza.

Bigrayok
02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Like someone mentioned, rectangular pizzas are usually referred to as Sicilian style pizzas. Dominoes and Little Caesar's are both Detroit based companies. That is probably why they serve "Detroit style" pizzas.

Bigray in Ok

Martin
02-21-2014, 02:08 PM
In the greater NYC metro area this would be called a Sicilian Pie.

it's a little different... sicilian style, like most pizza, has a small lip of crust around the edge. detroit style has cheese (but not the sauce) going all the way to the edge that gets browned by the pan. -M

Prunepicker
02-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Papa Angelo's, in Bethany on 66, is darn good pizza. They are located
where Clark's Bakery used to be. Just east of N. Asbury and on the south
side of the street.

metro
02-23-2014, 04:57 PM
papa angelo's, in bethany on 66, is darn good pizza. They are located
where clark's bakery used to be. Just east of n. Asbury and on the south
side of the street.

this!