View Full Version : Joel Osteen - I wonder?

bucktalk
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Anyone on OKCTALK admitting you're going to see/hear Joel Osteen when he comes to down? Isn't it a bit usual to be charging admission for what is typically free when it comes to preaching...

SoonerQueen
08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I have heard his name but haven't ever heard him preach. I'm sure he is very good, but I can't understand having to pay to hear the word of God. I saw Billy Graham once, and if I remember right, you had to have a ticket, but all seats were free. I wouldn't mind seeing Joel Osteen, but can't afford to pay to go. Someone tell us how it was if you go.

Achilleslastand
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
You dont think they lease out the Chesapeake Energy Arena for free do you?

kevinpate
08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I know two folks who are planning to attend. I'll try to remember to ask their thoughts afterwards.

Snowman
08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Isn't it a bit usual to be charging admission for what is typically free when it comes to preaching...

This seems more like a public speaking tour than most preaching, so charging admission is not as usual.

Jersey Boss
08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Property taxes are expensive on homes worth more than a million dollars. His kiddos are also well heeled in their own mansion, bought by dad. Another TV evangelist who rakes in the pension checks.

Roadhawg
08-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Property taxes are expensive on homes worth more than a million dollars. His kiddos are also well heeled in their own mansion, bought by dad. Another TV evangelist who rakes in the pension checks.

At Lakewood Church, Joel Osteen proclaims,"It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty." The pastor of the Houston megachurch and wife Victoria certainly practice what they preach.

The couple has moved to a $10.5 million mansion in River Oaks, while keeping their former Tanglewood residence, valued at $2.9 million. The couple and their children moved to a 17,000-square-foot stone mansion in the Tall Timbers subdivision in River Oaks. The Osteens' new home is situated on 1.86 acres and surrounded by an ornamental fence. The 411: It has six bedrooms, six bathrooms, three elevators and five wood-burning fireplaces, with a one-bedroom guest house and pool house.

They are, however, selling a vacant lot next to their former home. Asking price for the half-acre property at the corner of Doliver and Sherbrooke: $1.1 million.

SoonerDave
08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
At Lakewood Church, Joel Osteen proclaims,"It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty."

Interesting sentiment. Too bad you can't find it anywhere in Scripture that I know of. Now, in fairness, if he's talking about spiritual prosperity, then I might be willing to give him a pass, because Jeremiah 29:11 clearly points out that God's plans for each of us are to "prosper you and not to harm you," although this was a promise from God to the Israeli exiles in Babylon. But to suggest that should be extrapolated to personal material wealth is, IMHO, a tremendous stretch, to be gracious. If anything, Christ promises His followers trouble for preaching His gospel, not wealth (at least not financial wealth).

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no use for Osteen. From what I have heard him say, he sounds like a warmed-over health, wealth, and prosperity peddler. I have yet to hear him preach the gospel of Jesus Christ as Savior. He surrounds himself with evangelical trappings, but be very, very wary of him.

Sorry if that offends anyone who likes Osteen, but on something like this, I just don't think there's a middle ground. He reminds me a lot of the kind of preacher with whom one of my brothers-in-law were hooked up with years ago, who started down this same health, wealth, and prosperity road, which then led to nonsensical "prophetic" teachings, which never happened, and when the whole thing just fell apart, it burned out him on church and God for a long time. I don't want to see anyone roped into that kind of stuff. I fear Osteen is just the next iteration of it, and lots of well-meaning people are being led astray.

ThomPaine
08-27-2012, 08:13 AM
“No one in this world, so far as I know... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.” - H.L. Mencken

Mr. Osteen has not lost any money, but many of his followers have.

progressiveboy
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Interesting sentiment. Too bad you can't find it anywhere in Scripture that I know of. Now, in fairness, if he's talking about spiritual prosperity, then I might be willing to give him a pass, because Jeremiah 29:11 clearly points out that God's plans for each of us are to "prosper you and not to harm you," although this was a promise from God to the Israeli exiles in Babylon. But to suggest that should be extrapolated to personal material wealth is, IMHO, a tremendous stretch, to be gracious. If anything, Christ promises His followers trouble for preaching His gospel, not wealth (at least not financial wealth).

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no use for Osteen. From what I have heard him say, he sounds like a warmed-over health, wealth, and prosperity peddler. I have yet to hear him preach the gospel of Jesus Christ as Savior. He surrounds himself with evangelical trappings, but be very, very wary of him.

Sorry if that offends anyone who likes Osteen, but on something like this, I just don't think there's a middle ground. He reminds me a lot of the kind of preacher with whom one of my brothers-in-law were hooked up with years ago, who started down this same health, wealth, and prosperity road, which then led to nonsensical "prophetic" teachings, which never happened, and when the whole thing just fell apart, it burned out him on church and God for a long time. I don't want to see anyone roped into that kind of stuff. I fear Osteen is just the next iteration of it, and lots of well-meaning people are being led astray. The Bible also warns that their will be many "false teachers" and "false prophets". The world will follow after the beast and it's counterfeit. This prosperity teaching by Olsteen is "so false" and is truly sad for people that believe his word is gospel.

Bellaboo
08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
He needs those 5 wood burning fireplaces in Houston about as much as an Eskimo needs an AC unit in his igloo in the Arctic.

bchris02
08-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Sorry if that offends anyone who likes Osteen, but on something like this, I just don't think there's a middle ground. He reminds me a lot of the kind of preacher with whom one of my brothers-in-law were hooked up with years ago, who started down this same health, wealth, and prosperity road, which then led to nonsensical "prophetic" teachings, which never happened, and when the whole thing just fell apart, it burned out him on church and God for a long time. I don't want to see anyone roped into that kind of stuff. I fear Osteen is just the next iteration of it, and lots of well-meaning people are being led astray.

Agree with this. I believe God intends to prosper us with spiritual wealth and happiness. God does bless some with material wealth but it is important to not let that money become and idol. James 4:3 says "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." If money is to become an idol in our lives, which many times it does for those who are materially wealthy, then God does not look highly on it. If however we are able to have wealth and still keep God first and not let our money control us, then I believe God looks favorably upon that.

The biggest problem I have with Joel Osteen is he does not believe Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. Check out this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKF_QgNezBY

There is partial truth there in that God does indeed look at the heart and we are not to judge whether somebody is going to heaven or hell, but the Bible says plainly that no man comes to the Father except through Christ. If you hold to traditional evangelical beliefs, then that is an essential truth you must hold to.

Roadhawg
08-28-2012, 06:46 AM
He needs those 5 wood burning fireplaces in Houston about as much as an Eskimo needs an AC unit in his igloo in the Arctic.

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Oil Capital
08-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Agree with this. I believe God intends to prosper us with spiritual wealth and happiness. God does bless some with material wealth but it is important to not let that money become and idol. James 4:3 says "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." If money is to become an idol in our lives, which many times it does for those who are materially wealthy, then God does not look highly on it. If however we are able to have wealth and still keep God first and not let our money control us, then I believe God looks favorably upon that.

The biggest problem I have with Joel Osteen is he does not believe Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. Check out this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKF_QgNezBY

There is partial truth there in that God does indeed look at the heart and we are not to judge whether somebody is going to heaven or hell, but the Bible says plainly that no man comes to the Father except through Christ. If you hold to traditional evangelical beliefs, then that is an essential truth you must hold to.

That is pretty much what Joel said in the clip, i.e., that he personally believes that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven but he is not willing to judge and pronounce whether others are going to heaven.

Oil Capital
08-28-2012, 07:20 AM

Dude, the kids still live at home with mom and dad. And it is fair to note that he takes no income from the church. He lives on the income from his books.

Roadhawg
08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Dude, the kids still live at home with mom and dad. And it is fair to note that he takes no income from the church. He lives on the income from his books.

Did the income from his books pay for his house?

Oil Capital
08-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Did the income from his books pay for his house?

Yes.

Larry OKC
08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
And if there were to be another Billy Graham Crusade it would probably be free. But as is often the case with free admission events of the faith based variety, there would be a "love offering" (donations) taken to help defray the cost of travel, food, living expenses, marketing, facility use etc etc etc. A lot of it is volunteer based as well to help keep costs in check.

Plus you can catch Osteen on tv every week.

Bellaboo
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
The Bible also warns that their will be many "false teachers" and "false prophets". The world will follow after the beast and it's counterfeit. This prosperity teaching by Olsteen is "so false" and is truly sad for people that believe his word is gospel.

He's the 'Smilin' Preacher, don't cha know..............................in other words, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

LastManStanding
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Osteen used to do his eevents for free, but the stadiums would fill up and thousands would be left outside unable to get in. Many of them would have travelled long distances to get there. Tickets are $15 (Super-Cheap for tickets these days) and guarantee a seat. The reason he doesn't do a free ticket is because the early birds take too many expecting to bring lots of friends, then don't use them all. Lots of people who would have come don't get tickets because they are all gone, leaving lots of empty seats.

LastManStanding
08-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Osteen hasn't taken a salary from Lakewood Church since 2004, when he began publishing his books... that's a big deal. I wonder how many people would take a second job and give up their salary from the first job while continuing to work at the first job?

Larry OKC
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
If that is true, I commend him for it. He have seen many a tv preacher do both.

Dustin
08-30-2012, 10:18 PM
At Lakewood Church, Joel Osteen proclaims,"It's God's will for you to live in prosperity instead of poverty." The pastor of the Houston megachurch and wife Victoria certainly practice what they preach.

The couple has moved to a $10.5 million mansion in River Oaks, while keeping their former Tanglewood residence, valued at $2.9 million. The couple and their children moved to a 17,000-square-foot stone mansion in the Tall Timbers subdivision in River Oaks. The Osteens' new home is situated on 1.86 acres and surrounded by an ornamental fence. The 411: It has six bedrooms, six bathrooms, three elevators and five wood-burning fireplaces, with a one-bedroom guest house and pool house.

They are, however, selling a vacant lot next to their former home. Asking price for the half-acre property at the corner of Doliver and Sherbrooke: $1.1 million.

God wouldn't want it any other way.

betts
08-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Osteen hasn't taken a salary from Lakewood Church since 2004, when he began publishing his books... that's a big deal. I wonder how many people would take a second job and give up their salary from the first job while continuing to work at the first job?

If I made that much money from my second job, I could afford to be generous about my first salary too. If it weren't for his first job, he wouldn't have his second. Regardless, to me he's always seemed more about the money than about God. I seem to remember a statement about a camel and eye of a needle that contradicts his statement regarding prosperity and poverty.

ddavidson8
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM

That's what offerings are for in these situations.

ddavidson8
08-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I could care less about his wealth and haven't read or listened to him enough to know about his theology. I can say that as an unfortunate resident of Houston there are at least two days a year when fireplaces can be used.

Larry OKC
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
A former employer tried to get me to relocate to Houston once and EVERY apt complex I saw had fireplaces in them. Just didn't get that at all. Of course I was looking in the middle of the summer and a fireplace was the farthest thing from my mind. Could have used some of them at Christmas & decorate the mantle...but many of them were modern ones without mantles! Awkwardly placed where they took up so much real estate of the room making most room non-functional.

Prunepicker
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Anyone on OKCTALK admitting you're going to see/hear Joel Osteen when
he comes to down? Isn't it a bit usual to be charging admission for what is
typically free when it comes to preaching...
Joel Olsteen is not a Biblical teacher and I won't waste my time to see him.
His teaching isn't Christianity by any stretch of the imagination, ergo, not
something worth hearing.

He is a motivational speaker. Nothing more than that.