View Full Version : another sad shooting spree

Roadhawg
08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Ten people were shot outside the Empire State Building, leaving two dead, including the gunman, New York City officials said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24/shooting-reported-outside-empire-state-building/?hpt=hp_t1

Midtowner
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure why these things are reported the way they are in the media. It does no public good and likely encourages copycats.

Lord Helmet
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure why these things are reported the way they are in the media. It does no public good and likely encourages copycats.

Because people watch it...and the ads that are shown.

kevinpate
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not that concerned on coverage breeding copycats. We now have such instant, fairly detailed coverage and not so much ever seems to happens in the copy-cat realm.

PennyQuilts
08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
They are reporting it is a disgruntled former employee who apparently had a personal beef with a particular former co-worker. I imagine we'll get more details such as whether this guy had a history of mental illness. Apparently, he was fired quite some time ago. They are reporting that the victim had a protective order against the shooter at one point. Sad.

Matt
08-24-2012, 12:53 PM
We need more happy shooting sprees.

OSUMom
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
It is looking like the NYPD might have some explaining to do.

PennyQuilts
08-24-2012, 05:39 PM
It is looking like the NYPD might have some explaining to do.

They probably shouldn't have tried to take him down because someone could get hurt? He'd already killed someone and opened fired on others. What were they supposed to do?

Roadhawg
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
They probably shouldn't have tried to take him down because someone could get hurt? He'd already killed someone and opened fired on others. What were they supposed to do?

I agree, they needed to take him down before he shot somebody else.

Easy180
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Another reason why being in management kinda sucks...The person you let go might not find a way to let it go

OSUMom
08-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, if it turns out that more people were shot with bullets the police fired then were shot with the bullets he fired then that's not so good. I know they had to do something. All the facts about that aren't in yet I guess. The one thing I did catch is the guys gun only held 8 shots and 9 people were wounded, something like that.

BBatesokc
08-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Here is the gunman getting taken out by police (warning, graphic)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7419238n&tag=strip

Roadhawg
08-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, if it turns out that more people were shot with bullets the police fired then were shot with the bullets he fired then that's not so good. I know they had to do something. All the facts about that aren't in yet I guess. The one thing I did catch is the guys gun only held 8 shots and 9 people were wounded, something like that.

I saw that and I'm going to do a flip flop and agree with you.... NYPD has some spaining to do

OSUMom
08-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Actually the last article I read (I think it was on CNN.COM) said the police fired 14 rounds. Then they said the guy was hit 3-4 times. Seriously. Someone (or several someones) need to go spend some time at the practice range.

PennyQuilts
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I saw that and I'm going to do a flip flop and agree with you.... NYPD has some spaining to do

My husband, the "firearms enthusiast," also has some questions about it.

PennyQuilts
08-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Actually the last article I read (I think it was on CNN.COM) said the police fired 14 rounds. Then they said the guy was hit 3-4 times. Seriously. Someone (or several someones) need to go spend some time at the practice range.

It is a lot harder to hit someone, even close up, than the way it looks in the movies. Much harder. And it could well be that some of the shots went through and through, then rickashayed. I think the part that bothered me the most was that it looked like there were people directly behind him. I personally have no problem or questions about the multiple shots - it happened in an instant and I doubt there is much anyone could expect, realistically, when they are in such a situation. On the other hand, the guy pulled a gun and they can't just stand there and be shot. Just guessing, but if you were to interview them right afterwards, they probably wouldn't even remember half of what happened. But that's just a guess. I didn't catch it - did they say what sort of shots the police fired?

OSUMom
08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
The article just said '14 rounds'. I haven't read anything else since reading that article. Of course, as I said before, all the facts aren't in at this point. Just doesn't look too good right now.

BBatesokc
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I personally don't have an issue with the fact it appears virtually every citizen injured was injured by a police bullet. This is real life and not some episode of some police drama. I image most were bullet fragments and ricochet. If someone died it would be tragic, but they obviously saved many lives.