View Full Version : Broadway Extension businesses

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
This may not belong here, which is fine. This is just something as an Edmond resident working downtown that I've wondered for awhile. Why are there no decent gas stations off the highway all the way from Edmond to downtown OKC off of the Broadway Extension? It isn't for lack of land, I wouldn't think. I recall a few years back, the McDonalds was placed on Britton and Broadway and that place is always packed at morning rush hour. I would think 7-Eleven or OnCue or someone would see the potential and build something.

NoOkie
08-23-2012, 11:17 AM
This may not belong here, which is fine. This is just something as an Edmond resident working downtown that I've wondered for awhile. Why are there no decent gas stations off the highway all the way from Edmond to downtown OKC off of the Broadway Extension? It isn't for lack of land, I wouldn't think. I recall a few years back, the McDonalds was placed on Britton and Broadway and that place is always packed at morning rush hour. I would think 7-Eleven or OnCue or someone would see the potential and build something.

There's a big Circle K right across the street from that McDonalds. It's always packed in the morning, too.

adaniel
08-23-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people gas up at a place near their homes in the am or near their jobs in the pm as to not risk getting on the highway and run out of gas if they get in unexpected traffic. Also, there is a very large OnCue off 23rd and 235, as well as a few stations off of 63rd.

Truthfully, that whole corridor between 63rd and the Turnpike is surprisingly desolate. Its developed in a very half-arsed way. It is largely a commuter only route (compared to 35 or 44, which gets a lot of traveler traffic), doesn't go through the best area, and there's very little to entice people to get off the highway until you get to 63rd.

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
adaniel, thanks for reminding me about the 23rd street oncue - although I will say it is not at all a convenient on and off and I would say caters more to capitol traffic. Being that it is a commuter route is exactly why I would think a gas station would be welcome.

NoOkie, I must be missing out on the circle K (those still exist?) - I know there was for a time a starbucks across from the McDonalds, but it shut down quickly.

I guess I'm thinking more of a) gas stations that are not the odd ones that always have super high prices and b) are on the right of way of the exit ramp or whatever so you can stop and them and immediately get back on the highway without getting off on a side road, much like you would see a Love's on the interstate.

I know there is also a there is also a station at Bdwy extn & Wilshire, but its one of those rinky dink places that is kind of scary (I think the own of that place was shot and killed a few years back).

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Going to correct myself again here - there is a Conoco at 63rd. I don't know, I guess Im just surprised that there aren't more of the discount gas places/places that manage a quality convenience store at one of those miles.

Pete
08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
There is also a large Circle K on the NE corner of 63rd & Broadway that is easy to hit as you are heading north.

And another service station of some sort on the SW corner of Wilshire & Broadway, another Circle K on NW corner of Britton, just one property west of Broadway.

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2012, 12:07 PM
There is also a large Circle K on the NE corner of 63rd & Broadway that is easy to hit as you are heading north.

And another service station of some sort on the SW corner of Wilshire & Broadway, another Circle K on NW corner of Britton, just one property west of Broadway.

I think the one on Britton is what NoOkie was talking about. I guess I'm thinking more of a nice big shiny place with a good convenience story and lots of gas pumps. And as I mentioned, a place right next to the highway, although looking at aerial maps, it looks like the only spots right next to the highway would be going northbound. All of the spots on the West side are taken.

NoOkie
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I think the one on Britton is what NoOkie was talking about. I guess I'm thinking more of a nice big shiny place with a good convenience story and lots of gas pumps. And as I mentioned, a place right next to the highway, although looking at aerial maps, it looks like the only spots right next to the highway would be going northbound. All of the spots on the West side are taken.

The one at Britton is a little bigger than our usual Circle Ks but isn't as nice as a Quick Trip or On Cue. It does have a lot of pumps(9 islands, I think). I think our local 7-11's are crappy and pretty trashy looking and usually avoid them.

There's no space at Britton on the east side of the highway. Most of the land south of Britton is part of the DOK property. Immediately north is an office building, and then the hospital.

Pete
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
For the longest time, everything along Broadway Extension was industrial, which is why most of those properties were developed they way they were.

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
The one at Britton is a little bigger than our usual Circle Ks but isn't as nice as a Quick Trip or On Cue. It does have a lot of pumps(9 islands, I think). I think our local 7-11's are crappy and pretty trashy looking and usually avoid them.

There's no space at Britton on the east side of the highway. Most of the land south of Britton is part of the DOK property. Immediately north is an office building, and then the hospital.

The newer 7-Elevens are quite a bit nicer, though not as nice as the OnCue's. *The old ones are very trashy. Looks like there are decent spots on the East side at Wilshire and Hefner. Pete, I realize it was very industrial, but heck, even those people need gas and a cold pop!

ShiroiHikari
08-30-2012, 02:43 AM
7-11 has been slowly remodeling a lot of their old stores and building a bunch of shiny new ones. Some of the older stores are pretty scary, I'll admit.

hipsterdoofus
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
7-11 has been slowly remodeling a lot of their old stores and building a bunch of shiny new ones. Some of the older stores are pretty scary, I'll admit.

I agree - wouldn't mind having one of the new ones along there.