View Full Version : Fun themed restaurant

Jesseda
08-22-2012, 05:45 AM
I am turning 30 next weekend and my wife and kids keep asking me about what place I would like to have my Birthday dinner at. I want it to be fun for the whole family. I still miss molly murphys a lot and I want to find a place close to that or something with a fun theme. I cant really think of anything in okc area for that it seems like all the places are the same square box restaurants with little theme to it, can anyone recommend a great place that is out of the normal boring places

Martin
08-22-2012, 07:24 AM
the closest thing i can think of (and this is a bit of a travesty) is joe's crab shack. -M

soonermike81
08-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Maybe a place like Zorba's? They have flamenco/belly dancers every Friday night. We held our rehearsal dinner there, and thought it was a very fun environment. Plus the food is great.

SharkSandwich
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
My kids love Dave & Busters.

ljbab728
08-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Most places are fairly generic. It's nothing fancy but, if the food suits you, Spaghetti Warehouse has an interesting interior theme.

metro
08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Nobody really goes for these concepts anymore, I don't think it would be that profitable.

Martin
08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Nobody really goes for these concepts anymore

well... apparently jesseda does. any suggestions? -M

RadicalModerate
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I think Dave and Busters had their "Fun License" revoked.
If there was just a "ShowBiz Pizza" with a "Joe's Crabshack" theme . . . dang.

Seriously: Happy Birthday Jesseda!. And many returns of the same.
I'm sure that whatever venue in which you choose to celebrate The Big 3-0 will be fun for all.
No joke.

Pete
08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
How about a Japanese teppan restaurant like Shiki or Kabuki?

I've always found that setting fun for a group, with a great show being made of food prep.

http://www.homestayglobal.com/userfiles/teppanyaki.jpg

ereid
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Musashi's. Hibachi is always a hit!

sooner88
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
I would suggest Musashi's as well. Always entertaining, and the last time we went we had Chef Alex who was far and away the best we have ever had (been 10+ times)

Questor
08-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah, hard to find themed places these days. Japanese steak joints where the chefs are kind of funny and are constantly throwing knives and food in the air are entertaining if you've never been (Mushashi's, Yomato, Shogun...).

There's Toby Keith's. It's sort of themed, maybe not exactly, but the fact that you can set in a race-car table kind of reminds me of that scene in Pulp Fiction when they go to Jack-Rabbit Slims and order the $5 shake.... Plus there's the added bonus of being able to hit Bricktown or the theater afterwards. Or get dessert at the sit-down Sonic across the street.

Dave and Busters might be fun, you could eat and hit the arcade. On another note there's Hey Day Family Fun. The food isn't as good, basically just pizza, but it has some really fun laser tag and miniature golf.

Pete
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
You can also rent the water taxis and have food catered.

Questor
08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey if you're willing to drive, go down to Grapevine (e.g. Dallas/Ft. Worth), TX and hit the Rainforest Cafe in the Grapevine Mills Mall. It's a tropical rain forest themed place... it rains in the middle of the building every 30 minutes. That mall is huge and there are lots of entertaining things to do there... ice skating, Sea Life aquarium, a LegoLand, and stuff like that. Just another thought.

Jesseda
08-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey if you're willing to drive, go down to Grapevine (e.g. Dallas/Ft. Worth), TX and hit the Rainforest Cafe in the Grapevine Mills Mall. It's a tropical rain forest themed place... it rains in the middle of the building every 30 minutes. That mall is huge and there are lots of entertaining things to do there... ice skating, Sea Life aquarium, a LegoLand, and stuff like that. Just another thought.

I have been to several of the rainforest cafes, actually my wife and I had our wedding party at the one in vegas. I really wish we had a rainforest here in Oklahoma City . I have been talking to my wife about going down to grapevine mills mall.

Pete
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Since you mentioned Molly Murphy's and get down to the Dallas area, you should know that the restaurant Molly's ripped off is still open in Addison, the Magic Time Machine.

They have a salad car and all the characters:

http://www.magictimemachine.com/

metro
08-25-2012, 08:53 AM
well... apparently jesseda does. any suggestions? -M

I wasn't being rude, but honest as to why these concepts have largely disappeared from the culinary landscape. If there were any, I would have suggested. I think Pete's suggestion of teppanyaki is the closest you'll find on average these days.