View Full Version : Tan & Tone America still billing me... how do I stop it?

oki
08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Tan and Tone America still billed me this week.

Yet, they don't exist.

I went there for the robotics, not the tanning. They were around for decades... I'm floored that they closed. I don't/didn't, have a contract anymore, just the monthly fee. Can't say I went there that much, but... the robotics were helpful for low impact muscle toning. It really did help people tone up.

How do I get the auto-payments to stop?

My bank said they can put a temporary stop payment for a fee MORE THAN the cost of the Tan & Tone membership. Obviously I don't want to let the bank stop it for more than the membership fee. Any other options? Any employees still somewhere at Tan & Tone to stop these payments?

OKCisOK4me
08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I was getting auto charges on my card once so I had BOK send me a new bank card with totally new digits beyond the first 8 of the 16 digit card #. That did the job.

Larry OKC
08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I would check with your bank again, there should be some sort of revokeable(sp) auto debit

Easy180
08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
ACH rules allow you to establish a stop payment on recurring debits...You can also just have them return the item as unauthorized...Pretty sad they won't waive the stop payment fee in this well known situation

Wipfli Regulatory Insight 2 NACHA Rule Changes
• When a stop payment order applies to more than one debit entry under a specific authorization, the order will remain in effect until all such entries have been returned.
• If the receiver instructs the RDFI to stop all future payments related to a specific authorization and originator, the RDFI may require the receiver to confirm in writing they have revoked authorization with

Should be an option on the unauthorized written statement provided by your bank

3. Complete only if you would like to place a Cancel Payment to prevent future transactions from charging your account:
I would like a permanent Stop Payment placed on my account to prevent any future debits from the company listed below from posting to my account.
Company Name: Amount:
Transactions from this company are Not Authorized.
I have revoked my Authorization for transactions from this company.

BBatesokc
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I was getting auto charges on my card once so I had BOK send me a new bank card with totally new digits beyond the first 8 of the 16 digit card #. That did the job.

Same for me. Easiest way to stop a reoccurring charge to your debit card is to cancel the card. However, if you gave them your routing number and acct number and that's what you're being billed to, you might have to go through the mess of a new account - but that often effects auto mortgage payments, etc.

ExtremistPullup
08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
have them do a close reopen, dispute the ACH as unauthorised. all of the above wont cost anything.

OKCTalker
08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
One of my credit cards was involved in a nationwide database hack last year, so the issuer cancelled it and issued another card with new number. I never activated or used the new card. A bill came last month with a $9.95 charge to the new, unused card, so I called to inquire. I was told that recurring charges are automatically paid and charged to the new card as a "convenience." When I asked how I was supposed to know this - that the issuer would automatically authorize a charge and apply it to an unactivated card - I was told that it is in the disclosure statement.

oki
09-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I got charged again this week.

Tan and Tone doesn't even exist anymore, but I get billed.

I had hoped that the billing would stop this month. How can a non-existent company bill me?

My bank again said there's a fee. And, that revoking an ACH debit only lasts 6 months-- then you have to request it again and pay another fee.

The fee is over $30-- more than the $26 Tan and Tone fee. (I joined robotics, not tanning.)

I really want to avoid closing the account, as so much is tied to it.

I guess I'll request the ACH be revoked, and pay the $30-something fee.

Midtowner
09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
You might try contacting the Attorney General's consumer fraud division.

Roadhawg
09-21-2012, 06:44 AM
I got charged again this week.

Tan and Tone doesn't even exist anymore, but I get billed.

I had hoped that the billing would stop this month. How can a non-existent company bill me?

My bank again said there's a fee. And, that revoking an ACH debit only lasts 6 months-- then you have to request it again and pay another fee.

The fee is over $30-- more than the $26 Tan and Tone fee. (I joined robotics, not tanning.)

I really want to avoid closing the account, as so much is tied to it.

I guess I'll request the ACH be revoked, and pay the $30-something fee.

You can't put a stop payment through your credit card company or bank? ACH's can be revoked with no problem.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2012, 07:36 AM
You might try contacting the Attorney General's consumer fraud division.

At the very least . . .
Can people operating a rip-off scam like this be sued for punitive damages?

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 07:37 AM
At the very least . . .
Can people operating a rip-off scam like this be sued for punitive damages?

Good luck collecting.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
The money from the accounts is going somewhere . . . =)
Maybe you could sue the bank for collusion with these scamsters.

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
This is one reason I will NOT do a bank draft (tied to an account number and routing number). I will only do a credit card/debit card auto debit. Much easier to simply cancel the card as lost/stolen and get a new card (thus cutting the errant auto debits).

Jim Kyle
09-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Unless your credit card company helpfully transfers them to the replacement account, which many will do automatically.

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Unless your credit card company helpfully transfers them to the replacement account, which many will do automatically.

I have 11 auto debits that hit my cards every month. I've lost two cards in the last 24 months and of course had cards expire over the years. Not once has the auto debit automatically transferred to the replaced card(s). I have to manually go in and update the debit info with each service provider.

OKCTalker
09-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Sounds like you're using a debit card.

First of all, don't do that again. Don't give someone direct and automatic access to your checking account. Ever. EVER. Got it?

Second, call your bank and stop future drafts. If you already did that, tell them when you did that, with whom you spoke, and provide them with your written confirmation of your previous request. Oh - you didn't do that?

Third, get an email address to send your request confirmation. Keep a copy.

Fourth, ask them to waive the fee - just this one time because you've been a customer since __, and are a responsible account holder.

Fifth, for autopays like this (everything from utility company billings to your AppleID) use a credit card. When this happens - and it will - you'll simply call the toll-free number, speak with someone, they'll send you a brief form which you'll complete and return, and your work is done. This has happened to me several times and I've never been charged a fee or lost a dime. Live & learn.

Jim Kyle
09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Not once has the auto debit automatically transferred to the replaced card(s). I have to manually go in and update the debit info with each service provider.You've been quite lucky. I track an online security forum, which also advises folk on reaction to on-line scams and fraud, and one of the most frequent recurring problems is that after having a cracked credit card replaced, the fraudulent charges get transferred to the new card automatically. I'm sure, though, that this varies from one provider to another and doesn't happen every time.

BBatesokc
09-21-2012, 08:24 AM
You've been quite lucky. I track an online security forum, which also advises folk on reaction to on-line scams and fraud, and one of the most frequent recurring problems is that after having a cracked credit card replaced, the fraudulent charges get transferred to the new card automatically. I'm sure, though, that this varies from one provider to another and doesn't happen every time.

What's frustrating is that more than once I've had a card expire and then the service provider try and charge me a fee because the auto-debit was rejected due to the expired card. Fortunately the fee was always reversed in the end. My primary card is Amex as I like its additional warranty features and I refuse to carry a balance. However, I also have always used bank issued debit cards with a Visa/Mastercard endorsement and I've never had an issue. Even when fraudulently used/charged it was never a big deal. A phone call and usually sign something and the money is replaced by the next day.

JayhawkTransplant
09-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Tan and Tone is definitely the culprit here, but it sounds like your bank isn't being too helpful, either. If they are that unwilling to work with you, why would you not just close your account and switch banks? It's not THAT hard to re-route all your bills to the correct account.

Which bank do you use? I have a friend who had the same problem with Tan and Tone charging her and her credit union not only stopped her ACH payments, but refunded her money.

This reminds me of when I tried to close down my Bank of America account last year. They told me that my ACH had to be canceled for 4 weeks before I was allowed to close my account, because if the account were closed and the payment went through, it would re-open the account. Ridiculous.

venture
09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Definitely would be closing that bank account and moving with the lack of help they are providing. Of course I've never done an auto ACH transaction either...I always pre-authorize before it goes through each time.

OKCTalker
09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Recurring charges do not necessarily stop when a card is cancelled or the account is closed.

My card was among hundreds of thousands affected by a database hack. The card was cancelled, the account closed, and a new card was issued with a new account number. Being disgusted by their lack of security, I never activated the card and began using one issued by another bank. Months went by before I receive a mysterious statement on an account number I didn't recognize with a charge from a domain registration company. A domain I intended to let expire had been automatically renewed and charged to my new credit card account. I called the credit card company and was told that "recurring charges" (she couldn't clearly explain what one is) are automatically billed to new accounts "as a convenience." I told her that I didn't want that charge paid, and assumed that it wouldn't be paid - that it couldn't be paid - because the domain was billed to an account that was now closed, and was charged to an account with a new number that I hadn't even activated. She said that I should have known this because it was in the fine print of my authorization. Annoyed that this was somehow my fault, I asked her about closing my account altogether - kill it dead - she told me that all "recurring charges" would continue to be paid and billed to me, even if I closed my account. She told me that she'd have to read me a disclosure, and that's when I hung up on her.

It's almost Orwellian, but I understand why the credit card companies do this: The more transactions that they process, the more money they make, and the cardholder doesn't know that they've consented to this because no-one reads their EULA, TOS or disclosures.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Tan and Tone America still billed me this week.
Yet, they don't exist.

I went there for the robotics, not the tanning. They were around for decades... I'm floored that they closed. I don't/didn't, have a contract anymore, just the monthly fee. Can't say I went there that much, but... the robotics were helpful for low impact muscle toning. It really did help people tone up.

How do I get the auto-payments to stop?

My bank said they can put a temporary stop payment for a fee MORE THAN the cost of the Tan & Tone membership. Obviously I don't want to let the bank stop it for more than the membership fee. Any other options? Any employees still somewhere at Tan & Tone to stop these payments?

What is RICO's phone number . . ?
(i had it around here somewhere . . . =)

I'm still not happy with all the the "Do Not Call List" violations . . .
(but i'm not ready to make a federal case out of it . . .)

Popsy
09-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Perhaps I can help. The owner's daughter worked there and I was told she was the president of the corporation and owned 60 per cent of the corporate stock. I do not have her direct number, but she lives with her boyfriend or he lives with her,and his cell number is xxx-xxxx If you and others were to dial that number frequently and ask for Jan you might get her on the phone and she could actually do something about stopping the drafts. Her boyfriend's name is Kent.

BBatesokc
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Perhaps I can help. The owner's daughter worked there and I was told she was the president of the corporation and owned 60 per cent of the corporate stock. I do not have her direct number, but she lives with her boyfriend or he lives with her,and his cell number is xxx-xxxx If you and others were to dial that number frequently and ask for Jan you might get her on the phone and she could actually do something about stopping the drafts. Her boyfriend's name is Kent.

FYI - That number comes back to Mortgage Property Recovery Service.

oki
09-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Thanks for trying to help, Popsy and all. I didn't see the phone # in time, but it seems like someone exists somewhere that could make Tan & Tone stop billing people. I read the news article about people being made they prepared for years of service, then the doors were suddenly closed. I feel more sympathetic to the "robotic workout" clients since many were older or rehab folks, moreso than those who tan, but still. While I understand business issues and the economy, it seems like they could have given their customers and employees some sort of notice they were closing. Most companies don't go under overnight. I wonder what's happening with the company-- if they already finished bankruptcy or what. I wish at least the "robotic workouts" could stay around... that really did a lot of people, especially elderly or rehabbing patients, a lot of good to build some muscle.

I can't cancel the bank account right now, so I'll have to pony up and pay the fee every 6 months to stop the ACH debit. ACH debit was the only way you could pay for a Tan and Tone membership, unless you paid the 3 year contract upfront. Nonetheless, A $30+ fee every 6 months beats $26 Tan and Tone membership fee every month. I just figured they would have stopped billing people by now. I asked my bank to waive the fee, with no luck. I'll chalk paying the ACH cancel fee to the bank up to experience. It's just bizarre to me that a company could disappear so quick with no one to handle close-up-shop accounting.

Jim Kyle
09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Have you tried the TV station "In your corner" or other consumer-assistance contacts? They seem to love taking on such projects, especially if they can find a real sob-story angle such as a rehab patient -- and media publicity might get the attention of whatever regulatory agency could have the power to actually do something about it. Even the prospect of having to explain to the public why they would not cancel the debit action for a defunct company would NOT be appealing to a bank president or CEO...

oki
12-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Tan and Tone is STILL billing me about $27 a month.

Um, Tan and Tone no longer exists.

I was curious if the monthly billing would stop after Tan and Tone officially closed everything. Needless to say, it didn't.

I'll finally be calling my bank and paying the $30+ bank fee for an ACH transfer every 6 months. Tan and Tone's fee is $27 a month.

I haven't tried to contact consumer assistance corner. I don't really want to broadcast myself falling for Tan and Tone like that. But, it is an intriguing idea. Perhaps I could do it anonymously. I'll have to think about that one-- it's very tempting. A bank that will charge me $30+ ACH transfer fee every 6 months to stop a monthly billing for a company that no longer exists... sheesh. Disappointed in my bank... might try this.

venture
12-20-2012, 02:37 AM
You need a new bank. At this point for avoiding doing things you are just doing it to yourself and you can't really place full blame on Tan & Tone anymore.

You might also want to contact the BBB to update them: http://newsok.com/qa-with-bob-manista-president-and-ceo-of-the-better-business-bureau-of-central-oklahoma/article/3695155

oki
12-20-2012, 02:49 AM
I probably do need a new bank.

And, I was giving Tan and Tone a month or two or "close their books" to see if the automatic billing would stop. Surprisingly, it didn't stop billing me.
It's Tan and Tone's fault for billing me and not closing their books. Where my fees- and everyone else's fees- are going right now is a mystery. They're billing customers when they aren't providing service. It's of course my fault for joining Tan and Tone in the first place, and my fault for using the bank that I use. My bank, of course, also has poor customer service for requiring me to pay $30+ ACH transfer cancellation fees every 6 months to stop an auto-debit for a company that no longer exists. And, I could've called to get the ACH transfer sooner, but I took a (failed) gamble to try to avoid the greater fee (ACH transfer). Since the billing isn't stopping, I'll of course have to pay the ACH fee and call.

Surely if Tan and Tone is billing me, they're still billing others. How is it legal for a company that went under to continue to bill customers?

Companies that go under are supposed to close their business accounts. So, Tan and Tone customers still being billed is disappearing into thin air?

Plutonic Panda
12-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but out of curiosity, what bank do you use?

Anonymous.
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I am not sure what is more startling, the fact that the company is still billling accounts - or that you are still letting them.

Your bank must be extremely useless. I really hope I do not bank with them... lol

OKCTalker
12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
You can't adbicate your personal responsibility, although it seems to be in vogue. YOU have to cancel the ACH, YOU have to pick a better bank, YOU have to make sure that this doesn't happen again (don't give ACH authorizations unless you have to).

I don't know what the "consumer assistance corner" is, but I wouldn't waste my time unless they have a proven history of getting people's money back, and in this case I don't think you'll find that to be possible. And I've heard nothing good lately about the BBB, but plenty bad.

oki
12-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I have no problem with having to cancel an ACH, even for a company that's gone out of business yet keeps billing people. That's my responsibility.
I do have a problem with having to pay ACH cancellation fees every 6 months indefinitely to stop an auto payment for a closed business.
Yes, I chose the bank. Yes, it's poor customer service that a bank would charge repeated ACH cancellation fees considering the circumstances.
I use a local bank... it's not likely they are unaware that Tan and Tone went under. And, I explained the situation to them but still get the fees. I can't just close the account and the ACH transfers stop-- the bank could still accept them and bill me for using a closed account. I also don't see how a company can legally go under and keep their business account open to collect these auto-payments from customers. Business that go under are supposed to close, or at least freeze. And, if Tan and Tone filed bankruptcy, someone is supposed to be handling their "closing business" matters. I find it bizarre that there's no recourse other than my bank. Usually their bankruptcy lawyers or accountants would handle closing their accounts. How is it that businesses can close up shop and not finalize their accounts upon closing?

oki
12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I am not sure what is more startling, the fact that the company is still billling accounts - or that you are still letting them.

Your bank must be extremely useless. I really hope I do not bank with them... lol

I waited a bit to request an ACH transfer because the bank's ACH transfer fee is more than the cost of a Tan and Tone monthly fee.
I didn't think the Tan and Tone billing would continue, otherwise I would have ponied up the ACH fee in the first place, as many months of Tan and Tone fees would be more than a $30-something ACH fee every 6 months. I'm of course opting to choose the ACH cancellation fee every 6 months now.

oki
12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
I found a solution, so we'll see if I still get billed next month.

I also read that early December the (former) owners of Tan and Tone were sued for $47,000 and $70,000 in building possession related cases.

There were some other lawsuits they were involved in. Needles to say, it appears their "close of business" tasks aren't yet done. I didn't see a bankruptcy case at first glance, but I would imagine there is/was/will be one.

OKCTalker
12-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I found a solution, so we'll see if I still get billed next month.

I also read that early December the (former) owners of Tan and Tone were sued for $47,000 and $70,000 in building possession related cases.

There were some other lawsuits they were involved in. Needles to say, it appears their "close of business" tasks aren't yet done. I didn't see a bankruptcy case at first glance, but I would imagine there is/was/will be one.

They won't necessarily file for bankruptcy unless creditors believe that they're defrauding them and/or moving assets out of their reach that could be recovered by the court or trustee.

venture
12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Plus I don't see why they would file for bankruptcy when they are still making money off of the franchises that are still in operation.

oki
12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
They won't necessarily file for bankruptcy unless creditors believe that they're defrauding them and/or moving assets out of their reach that could be recovered by the court or trustee.

Ah. Yikes.

oki
12-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Plus I don't see why they would file for bankruptcy when they are still making money off of the franchises that are still in operation.

They're not. The few remaining *former* Tan and Tone locations (Stillwater, Shawnee, wherever) are independently/privately owned. When Tan and Tone as a chain closed, those 3 privately owned stores had to change their name. They are not Tan and Tone's anymore, and are called whatever their individual owners renamed them. They had to remove all references from Tan and Tone from their building. Tan and Tone, I suppose, is making some money by continuing to bill former customers even though they have no stores left.

venture
12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
They're not. The few remaining *former* Tan and Tone locations (Stillwater, Shawnee, wherever) are independently/privately owned. When Tan and Tone as a chain closed, those 3 privately owned stores had to change their name. They are not Tan and Tone's anymore, and are called whatever their individual owners renamed them. They had to remove all references from Tan and Tone from their building. Tan and Tone, I suppose, is making some money by continuing to bill former customers even though they have no stores left.

Ah thanks for the correction.

Either way, like OT pointed out...not every business has to go through bankruptcy to close down. You can spin any business down without going that route. They are also likely using a 3rd party billing service that is just going to keep billing over and over. That should all be traceable though, but it depends on your bank. Who is it anyway?

zookeeper
12-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't understand the $30.00 ACH Transfer Fee every six months indefinitely, I'm guessing there's some miscommunication going on somewhere. Go by the bank and talk to the bank manager and explain 1.2.3.4.5. Tell them you expect the transfers to stop, the fee to be waived and be done with it. Right now it would seem Tan & Tone is illegally allowing the draft requests. It's called fraud. Tell the bank you have made your request for the illegal drafts to not be honored, hopefully you've done this in writing, if you haven't then do it tomorrow. If the bank continues to be obtuse, sue the bank in Small Claims Court, it's quick and easy and overlooked by many consumers in situations like this. Just Google how to sue your bank in small claims court and read how simple it really is. The law is on your side here. They settle up quick before having to mess with it. What is the bank? So we know to stay away.

Popsy
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
It probably is not Tan & Tone that is doing the billing. When a person signed a contract they sold that contract to a third party and transferred all rights of the contract, including the bank draft you signed. Tan &Tone could not stop the billing unless they paid the money back that they received from them. They do not plan to file bankruptcy, but some of the creditors are discussing forcing them to file. There are possibilities that fraud charges will be filed due to assigning the same collateral to different individuals and banks.

Easy180
12-21-2012, 02:14 AM
I don't understand the $30.00 ACH Transfer Fee every six months indefinitely, I'm guessing there's some miscommunication going on somewhere.

Believe it is essentially the same as placing a check stop payment which typically stay in effect for 6 months...Banks probably get charged by their processor for each stop payment on the system so they don't want to just leave them out there to infinity

MadMonk
12-21-2012, 05:52 AM
I have no problem with having to cancel an ACH, even for a company that's gone out of business yet keeps billing people. That's my responsibility.
I do have a problem with having to pay ACH cancellation fees every 6 months indefinitely to stop an auto payment for a closed business.
Yes, I chose the bank. Yes, it's poor customer service that a bank would charge repeated ACH cancellation fees considering the circumstances.
I use a local bank... it's not likely they are unaware that Tan and Tone went under. And, I explained the situation to them but still get the fees. I can't just close the account and the ACH transfers stop-- the bank could still accept them and bill me for using a closed account. I also don't see how a company can legally go under and keep their business account open to collect these auto-payments from customers. Business that go under are supposed to close, or at least freeze. And, if Tan and Tone filed bankruptcy, someone is supposed to be handling their "closing business" matters. I find it bizarre that there's no recourse other than my bank. Usually their bankruptcy lawyers or accountants would handle closing their accounts. How is it that businesses can close up shop and not finalize their accounts upon closing?

*Edit*
Never mind.

Anonymous.
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Tanning equipment from 11 abandoned Tan & Tone America locations up for auction | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/tanning-equipment-from-11-abandoned-tan-tone-america-locations-up-for-auction/article/3749253)

RadicalModerate
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
"Abandoned Tan and Tone America[s]" . . . that sounds a little spooky.
Do you suppose any of it is haunted?
Like by the spirits of automatic bank account withdrawal victims . . ?

kevinpate
07-20-2013, 02:05 AM
OK Attorney General files suit against Tan and Tone America

... Friday, the Oklahoma attorney general’s office filed a lawsuit against Tan & Tone America and some of its officers in Oklahoma County District Court, alleging that company officials engaged in deceptive and misleading practices. The AG will seek a $10,000 civil penalty and more than $45,000 in restitution to former customers.

source: Oklahoma attorney general accuses Tan & Tone of misleading Norman customers » Headlines » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1996079972/Oklahoma-attorney-general-accuses-Tan-Tone-of-misleading-Norman-customers)

OKCTalker
07-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Excellent!

mugofbeer
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
It may have already been said but if you haven't already spoken to your bank or credit card company, they should be able to block any EFT payments for a specified amount. Of course, that doesn't stop the health club from altering the draft amount. Otherwise, when I worked for a bank years ago, there were times the account literally had to be closed to keep some health clubs and insurance companies from drafting accounts.