View Full Version : OnCue OKC Expansion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

metro
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM
From the JR.

OnCue Express buys OKC properties
By Brianna Bailey
Oklahoma City reporter. Contact: 405-278-2847, brianna.bailey@journalrecord.com, @briannabailey80.
Posted: 07:46 PM Monday, August 20, 2012

OKLAHOMA CITY – Stillwater-based convenience store operator OnCue Express has purchased three adjacent properties on W. Memorial Road just off the John Kilpatrick Turnpike for about $3 million.
OnCue purchased an existing Conoco station at 1020 W. Memorial Rd. from ABM Investments for $1 million on July 26.
On the same day, OnCue also purchased the Szechuan Bistro restaurant at 1010 W. Memorial Rd. from Ricardo and Rita Lopez for $715,000.
The company also purchased another 4 acres of vacant land from Paul and Anna Donat for $1.2 million on July 26. The land is near N. Western Avenue and W. Memorial Road and has frontage on the turnpike service road.
Calls to OnCue’s offices in Stillwater were not immediately returned.
The company operates six convenience stores and gas stations in Oklahoma City, as well as stores across the state and one in Wichita, Kan.
OnCue began partnering with Chesapeake Energy in 2010 to open CNG fueling stations at its stores across the state. The company operated 13 CNG fueling stations in Oklahoma by the end of 2011, making it the largest operator of CNG stations in the state.

Dustin
08-21-2012, 12:01 AM
W. Memorial Road just off the John Kilpatrick Turnpike for about $3 million.

Is this the area in front of Pablano Grill? If so, I totally called it.

progressiveboy
08-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Is this the area in front of Pablano Grill? If so, I totally called it. The area is on the Southeast corner of Memorial and Western. There is an existing gas station and a Asian Restaurant next door directly to the east. I believe it use to be a Burger King?

ABryant
08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
No,Western and Memorial is where the Taco Bueno and Pancake house are across the street. These properties (Conoco, Szechuan Bistro) are on the southeast side of that intersection.

ABryant
08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
The area is on the Southeast corner of Memorial and Western. There is an existing gas station and a Asian Restaurant next door directly to the east. I believe it use to be a Burger King?

Beat me too it.

bradh
08-22-2012, 06:05 AM
is it true that OnCue was started by a guy who walked in to a QT, copied the entire concept, and then started his own chain?

BillyOcean
08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
is it true that OnCue was started by a guy who walked in to a QT, copied the entire concept, and then started his own chain?

no. i believe it was started from some retired execs of qt, hence the similarities.

dankrutka
08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
QT>All other gas stations

MDot
08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
QT>All other gas stations

I guess. I've personally never really went from gas station to gas station saying -- OMG, Jeanie, u have 2 go 2 this gas station, it's ta best ive evr bin 2. QT's are pretty cool, no doubt, but OnCue's and QT's are so similar that I can easily compromise with OnCue's since OKC won't get a QT for a long time, if ever.

Turanacus
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Tulsans say to me, "I could never live in OKC because you guys don't have QT." I laugh that people are so passionate about their gas stations.

bchris02
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
To me a gas station is a gas station. Yeah QTs are nice but OnCues are just as nice. Then again, I wish OKC had better grocery stores like Publix or similar yet many here are just fine with Super Wal-Mart.

mcca7596
01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
In all reality, I guess there IS somewhat of a cognitive dissonance if you care passionately about having quality grocery stores and other retail but are apathetic about your gas station choices.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
When the departure of the Circle Ks broke my heart, I decided that I would never again allow convenience stores to rule my emotions.
(or plant the seeds of cognitive dissonance)

ljbab728
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
In all reality, I guess there IS somewhat of a cognitive dissonance if you care passionately about having quality grocery stores and other retail but are apathetic about your gas station choices.

Other than price, gas is gas.

jn1780
01-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Tulsans say to me, "I could never live in OKC because you guys don't have QT." I laugh that people are so passionate about their gas stations.

Their just being silly. There are a dozen other factors that are more important with job being on the top of the list. lol

I think Oncues are nicer than 7-Eleven, but I'm not going out of my way to go to one. At the end of the day gas is gas and junk food is junk food. Its like going to a "nice" Mcdonalds branded as a "Mccafe". Lol

bchris02
01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Their just being silly. There are a dozen other factors that are more important with job being on the top of the list. lol

I think Oncues are nicer than 7-Eleven, but I'm not going out of my way to go to one. At the end of the day gas is gas and junk food is junk food. Its like going to a "nice" Mcdonalds branded as a "Mccafe". Lol

I have somewhat of a Circle-K loyalty, but thats only because of living in Phoenix as a small child and pretty much every gas station out there is a Circle-K. It doesn't really matter though, gas is gas and junk food is junk food.

ljbab728
01-27-2013, 11:25 PM
I agree. As long as I don't have to worry about getting mugged in the parking lot I don't worry that much about how pretty my gas station is and I rarely ever buy anything else there. I do use the 7-11 no fee ATM frequently though.

Snowman
01-27-2013, 11:42 PM
I had never thought about it but I have generally favored 7-11's, possibly from back when I was a kid I could walk to one and get icee's

soonerfan_in_okc
01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
seriously?? bro. come on.

mcca7596
01-28-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm really not talking about the product, but just overall cleanliness. Other cities have cleaner gas stations because they have higher standards, which reflects itself even in the most mundane aspects of life (gas stations).

Snowman
01-28-2013, 03:35 AM
I'm really not talking about the product, but just overall cleanliness. Other cities have cleaner gas stations because they have higher standards, which reflects itself even in the most mundane aspects of life (gas stations).

I must have gone to some of the wrong out of town gas stations then

bombermwc
01-28-2013, 07:00 AM
I get a little tired of people thinking QT is some amazing thing that doesn't exist anywhere else. Are you QT folks aware that the concept of that type of gas station was around BEFORE QT stole it from other companies like Racetrac? Just because you didn't see it in Oklahoma before OnCue and QT, doesn't mean they came up with it. Even 7-11 was doing it, just not to the same scale (until recently). Not to mention that even back in the late 90's you'd see the old Texaco's and even some Phillips 66's out there like the "new" QT and OnCues. People just weren't as "in" to the gas station thing back then. Why? Because gas was cheaper and you came in, got gas, and left. More poeple head in for a cheap drink these days and a Tornado or whatever than they used to.

Anyone remember the Texaco cup fad of the 80's? Those were everywhere!

RadicalModerate
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM

I must have gone to some of the wrong out of town gas stations then

Imagine that you have been on the road for about ten hours and find yourself in Albert Lea, MN. Imagine that you have about four choices of where to fill up the vehicle for the last leg of the trip--and maybe grab a quick bite of something to eat. There is only one real option here: Loves. =)

(i will admit that we like the QT on the west edge of Tulsa on the return trip. if i've ever been in an On-Cue it's specialness made little to no lasting impression.)

LibertyOKC
01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Having lived in both OKC and Tulsa, I can understand the pride of having a QT to stop by once a week. They're clean, easy to enter and leave and the employees are always freindly and efficient. 7/11's are the oppisite. They always were located on small parcels, cluttered and employees who are indiferent to your needs or existence. Years ago my business was close to one and it was almost necessary for me to use it. It seemed like every time I went in, there would be three employees, two doing paperwork and one helping the 10 people waiting in line. Things at 7/11 have changed recently because of OnCue entering the market. Yay !!! And what's up with not selling lottery tickets ?!?

kevinpate
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
To sell lottery tickets, the c-stores are required to have more cash readily available than 7/11 is willing to have readily available. For that reason, they decline to sell lottery items.

RadicalModerate
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
I think there ought to be a rule that there is a separate register for the purchase of lottery tickets. I don't have anything against people wanting to burn up five, ten or twenty dollars if that's what they choose to do. I do have something against their holding up the flow of normal commerce when I just want to get in and get out. If 7-Eleven doesn't "do" lottery tickets, I think they just became my convenience store of choice. Thanks for the tip!

kevinpate
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
7/11 seems very popular for their coffee (soda guy myself) and for day labor lunch food, ice for coolers, etc. It may be a wash overall when it comes to in/out speed.

dankrutka
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
No one is saying that QTs should merit a move to a different locale. It's just a far superior product to other gas station options in the area. That's it.

RadicalModerate
01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
No one is saying that QTs should merit a move to a different locale. It's just a far superior product to other gas station options in the area. That's it.

uh . . . huh? (say wha'?)

kevinpate
01-29-2013, 05:11 AM
uh . . . huh? (say wha'?)

oh geeeeesh, when RM doesn't follow an odd thought pattern, you know it's an odd thought pattern

MonkeesFan
01-29-2013, 07:16 AM

I do not think so, it is a just gas station, people get gas, buy drinks/food, use the restroom and leave in 5 minutes, nobody stays in a gas station longer than 5 minutes unless it is a very long line which is rare

LuccaBrasi
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Look for OnCue to put their next facility at the former Hometown Buffet site on the NW Highway.

ljbab728
02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Look for OnCue to put their next facility at the former Hometown Buffet site on the NW Highway.

I guess that's possible but it's only about 2 miles from the one they just opened at NW Expressway and Wilshire.

kevinpate
02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Two miles isn't too close, especially if it precludes another competing company from setting up shop on that corner. The newest 7/11 in Norman is approx. two miles, or less, from a long standing 7/11 in either direction from it along Robinson, with another two miles or less to the NNE. I drive by 3 of the 4 regularly. I don't see any of them sitting empty, not even when I've been out at 4:30 am.

ljbab728
02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Two miles isn't too close, especially if it precludes another competing company from setting up shop on that corner. The newest 7/11 in Norman is approx. two miles, or less, from a long standing 7/11 in either direction from it along Robinson, with another two miles or less to the NNE. I drive by 3 of the 4 regularly. I don't see any of them sitting empty, not even when I've been out at 4:30 am.

I"m not saying it won't happen but I haven't seen any of the On Cue stores that close together in OKC so far. 7 - 11 stores are on almost every corner though.

LuccaBrasi
02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
True, they do not have any that close together, but I think this could be one exception they are exploring with the traffic count on NWH and 63rd. It's a high exposure site on 2 sides. OC initially wanted the corner of McArthur and NWH, but the owners would not sell, so they settled on the Wilshire location. Then the 2owners on that corner decided to sell to 7-11. The Wilshire site works best for morning east bound traffic, not so much for west bound traffic. The Hometown site would capture all the 5pm traffic heading home. I think it could take a lot of business from the 7-11's at Independence and NWH and at 63rd and Portland.

dankrutka
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I do not think so, it is a just gas station, people get gas, buy drinks/food, use the restroom and leave in 5 minutes, nobody stays in a gas station longer than 5 minutes unless it is a very long line which is rare

That 5 minute experience is of a higher quality than other gas stations. QTs are cleaner with nicer, more helpful employees because they actually provide really good benefits. I'm guessing you haven't been to the new model QTs? You actually might stay more than 5 minutes. There is a service, restaurant-style area for ordering smoothies or ice cream mixes. It's just a gas station... that is way better than the other gas stations.

Plutonic Panda
02-04-2013, 12:05 AM
So, I've heard earlier on in this thread that a QT will never happen in OKC. Is that really true or just speculation?

catch22
02-04-2013, 12:25 AM
So, I've heard earlier on in this thread that a QT will never happen in OKC. Is that really true or just speculation?

There is a gentleman's agreement.

1972ford
02-04-2013, 12:39 AM
7-11 gas is bad for your vehicle 100% gas is the way to go

Snowman
02-04-2013, 02:53 AM

Every 7-11 stations in my area either post they either use 100% gas or have the option of both.

1972ford
02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Most of the ones I see only offer 85% to 90% no 100%

MDot
02-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Every 7-11 stations in my area either post they either use 100% gas or have the option of both.

The ones by my house have the option.

MDot
02-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I like QT's, but good grief. Take a chill pill. They're cool, but nothing to have an orgasm over. Lol

Teo9969
02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I"m not saying it won't happen but I haven't seen any of the On Cue stores that close together in OKC so far. 7 - 11 stores are on almost every corner though.

It is NW Expressway though. Lots of traffic that sees the 63rd/Expressway intersection that doesn't see the Wilshire/Expressway intersection.

OKCNDN
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
7-11 could use a little bigger lot. The ones on NW Highway and Independence as well as at NW 50th and MacArthur seem to be particularly small. Hey at least you guys have a clean 7-11 to go to. Out in El Reno most of the gas/convenience stores are old and dirty. Yes, I said clean 7-11. You want to see a dirty gas/convenience store go out to El Reno. Yes QT's are nicer but I ain't complaining about 7-11. I would love to have one out in El Reno. If an OnCue came to El Reno I think my dad would smile for a week straight. He loves the cheap hot dogs.

LuccaBrasi
02-23-2013, 08:22 PM
7-11 is embarking on a mission to upgrade their new stores and remodel many of their existing ones in order to compete with OnCue's gradual onslaught on OKC. They are planning to do some upgrades in terms of design, finishes, and overall branding, somewhat along the lines of QT and OnCue. I will believe it when I see it.....

jbkrems
02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
THere is a 7-11 out in Canadian County; I believe its at Yukon Pkwy and Mustang Rd; and its all re-done and competes with OnCue. In fact, I think it has some things you cannot get at OnCue; stuff I could take home and cook, or eat on the go. :)

Snowman
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
THere is a 7-11 out in Canadian County; I believe its at Yukon Pkwy and Mustang Rd; and its all re-done and competes with OnCue. In fact, I think it has some things you cannot get at OnCue

The one at Yukon Pkwy and NW 10th is only like a year or two old, the one at Mustang road and SW 15th is only a few years older than that one. I don't think either have been modified from there original plan, they were just built off newer plans.

They did build a newer version at Vandament (23rd) and Holly and close the old one (after removing the old gas tanks & pumps) that was at that same intersection.

ljbab728
02-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I think if 7-11 is going to compete we will see it when they build on the land they purchased at the SW corner of MacArthur and NW Expressway. That is a prime location and is near On Cue.

WilliamTell
02-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Im happy about there expansion. Being from tulsa i've been sick and tired of 7-11's since i got here. No matter what side of town you go into one at its like stepping back in time to dirty, cluttered, 3rd world country with crappy employees.

Any time i visit qt in tulsa if 1 cashier is ringing someone up and i walk up another cashier will literally stop stocking and jog over to help check me out. 7-11 would have the other person there on there phone trying to score some drugs or reading a news paper.

Plutonic Panda
02-24-2013, 05:43 AM
Man, I don't know what all this bashing is about 7-11. It is not that bad. There are actually very nice ones out there. The new ones are especially nice and the older ones I've been to aren't horrible. There are a few out there that are pretty bad, but that goes with almost anything.

Easy180
02-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Man, I don't know what all this bashing is about 7-11. It is not that bad. There actually very nice ones out there. The new ones are especially nice and the older ones I've been to aren't horrible. There are a few out there that are pretty bad, but that goes with almost anything.

Agree...New ones are popping up all over time and they are nice...Love the switch to no ethanol as well

jbkrems
02-24-2013, 07:43 AM
The 7-11 I went to was at Yukon Pkway and NW 10th, then. That sounds about right.

bluedogok
02-24-2013, 08:15 AM
In most major metros it is not an option, there three stations that shows up on Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada (http://Pure-gas.org) in the Denver area, there were none in the Austin area and you had to get quite a bit outside of Austin to find real gas. I know that when filling up in OKC (driving between Austin and OKC) I would fill up at the On-Cue at Reno & MacArthur not far from my parents house. On that trip between Austin-OKC we would stop at the QT on the south side of Fort Worth or Denton, the restrooms are usually bigger than many other type of places so there is rarely a line and they have a good selection of beverages and snacks and the line moves pretty quick. One other reason the gas is usually a little cheaper than some of the other stops along I-35. On the drive from OKC to Denver there are a few along I-135 between Wichita and Salina, we usually stop there (and a Pilot on I-70) for those same reasons.

I prefer the OKC 7-11's to the Southland Corp. standard ones like we had in Austin or have up here in Denver. We usually get gas at a Valero by our new house or a Loaf 'n Jug (Kroger/King Soupers gas station) because they average about 10 cents less (for regular, 15-20 for premium) than the Conoco of Circle K/Shell stations around here and they are usually on the way to wherever we are going.

kevinpate
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Most of the ones I see only offer 85% to 90% no 100%

few years back, very true. Some older stations, may still be true. But several (all?) built in the last year or two have no ethanol in three grades and then have an ethanol option as well. It's the only reason I sometimes buy gas at the new one at Robinson & Flood. Well, that they have it and that it was way below the other 100% gas places (though others have come a bit closer to being in line as well)

jn1780
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
few years back, very true. Some older stations, may still be true. But several (all?) built in the last year or two have no ethanol in three grades and then have an ethanol option as well. It's the only reason I sometimes buy gas at the new one at Robinson & Flood. Well, that they have it and that it was way below the other 100% gas places (though others have come a bit closer to being in line as well)

I have seen a lot of 7-11's around the city that have been converted over to include both. Especially in the nicer parts of the city.

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Im happy about there expansion. Being from tulsa i've been sick and tired of 7-11's since i got here. No matter what side of town you go into one at its like stepping back in time to dirty, cluttered, 3rd world country with crappy employees.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe it's just where I live, but disinterested employees, lack of basic cleanliness and amenities, the list goes on. Haven't gone to one in ages since on-cue came to town.

kevinpate
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I guess I'm just fortunate or blessed or something. Even in older dinkier stores, I find decent smiles and courteous folk at the 7/11 most anytime I stop.

I can think of one that isn't really like that, but it's only on a certain shift, and well, I don't think that person would be all that cordial if working elsewhere.
The employee often reminds me of something I once heard ... some folk drink lemonade, some drink coffee, some drink pickle juice.

OKCNDN
02-24-2013, 01:11 PM
7-11 employees are just as nice as those at other stores. I have never encountered a pissy 7-11 employee anywhere. I have encountered a 7-11 employee who just didn't say anything other than the total (and that employee was very busy) but not one has ever shown a particularly bad attitude. Ever think it may not be the employee with the bad attitude?:rolleyes: