View Full Version : OnCue OKC Expansion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

John
05-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Honestly, not a terrible idea...

The east lot could be used for the pump canopy, as well as part of the bank drive thru for the OnCue drive through.

The could slightly expand their offerings and make it their own small version of Buc-ee's.

They have the working capital to make it happen!

OKCDrummer77
05-20-2017, 05:09 PM
I don't know if the land is available, but I've had my eye on the huge open space on the NE corner of Wilshire & Broadway Extension. That's just down the street from where I go to church, so I would love to see one go in there. There's not another location near there. I think either 23rd & I-235 or 36th & May are the nearest locations to that corner.

warreng88
07-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Oklahoma convenience store chains growing

Three operators building larger stores and more of them

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record July 10, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – Stillwater-based OnCue Express is expanding its store size, with seven larger stores already planned and more on the horizon.

The company’s existing stores measure 6,650 square feet. The next generation will measure 8,450 square feet.

“We will have some new features,” said Jim Griffith, CEO. “We just needed a little more space. We’re adding safe rooms so when bad weather hits, our employees will be safe. Our stores have lactation rooms so our nursing mothers have a place to go.”

He said not all the new stores will have lactation rooms. Women who need the space will be temporarily moved to those stores.

Griffith said he’s expecting to close on more sites this week, so there will be more than seven stores in the pipeline.

The store at Interstate 35 and E. 15th Street will open in August. Construction on a store at SW 104th Street and S. Santa Fe Avenue will start in October. It will be one of the new, larger models, Griffith said.

“We’re very happy with the Oklahoma City market,” he said. “The entire metro’s been good to us. We put out a first-class facility that’s clean and safe. We can’t wait to build a few more.”

The company could also take its stores outside state lines in the next few years, he said.

While OnCue is focused on the metro, Oklahoma City-based Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores is filling in sites for its customers in rural Oklahoma.

Love’s Vice President of Real Estate and Development Rick Shuffield said that the company has noticed a traffic increase in several parts of the state, but there’s another reason for its new stores. While the company had several stores in the state, it needed to expand its network across the country. In the last couple of years, Love’s has filled in gaps between its stores. There was once a 200-mile stretch between some locations, but now it’s down to 100 miles.

Oklahoma cities in the Love’s pipeline include Randlett, Wynnewood, Okmulgee, and El Reno. Big Cabin is on the list, but it will be another year before the work starts there, Shuffield said.

Stores have been opened in El Reno, Okmulgee, Valiant, and Union City.

Shuffield said El Reno is an example of meeting customer demand. While the site isn’t far from the Hinton or Morgan Road stores, the El Reno store will be larger. Love’s smaller footprint is about 4,000 square feet with one restaurant concept. The El Reno store will measure 12,000 square feet with multiple restaurants, showers, and a tire and mechanical shop.

The company started 2016 by opening a new store in Texhoma, less than a mile from the Texas state line.

Tulsa-based QuikTrip has Texas-sized plans for two major metropolitan areas, Austin and San Antonio. QT will initially build 100 stores in the two cities.

Company spokesman Mike Thornbrugh said the company will not have to build a new distribution center to accommodate this expansion because there is a large center in Dallas.

It takes about four months to build one store, he said.

“We’re beginning the permitting and application process now,” he said. “We’ll begin construction this winter in both markets. We’ll have at least one store opened by next summer in both markets.”

The company operates 758 stores, with 77 locations in the Tulsa market. A new store will open in Tulsa next month.

Oklahoma City-based 7-Eleven declined The Journal Record’s request for an interview but said in an emailed statement that the company has an ongoing effort underway to update the interior and exterior layouts of its stores.

MagzOK
07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Go OnCue!

MagzOK
07-13-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't know if the land is available, but I've had my eye on the huge open space on the NE corner of Wilshire & Broadway Extension. That's just down the street from where I go to church, so I would love to see one go in there. There's not another location near there. I think either 23rd & I-235 or 36th & May are the nearest locations to that corner.

I think that American Fidelity just bought all that land on that corner. But I agree, an OnCue would go great anywhere along BWX, even Hefner.

Pete
07-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Yes, all that beautiful property on the eastside of Broadway Extension is owned by American Fidelity.

T. Jamison
07-13-2017, 02:06 PM
That corner is still owned by Wilshire Development, L.L.C. (Aubrey McClendon) unless it is currently under contract, and the sale hasn't been recorded with the clerk.

harp23
07-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Noticed a retaining type wall has been built on the south side of the location at 15th and I-35 in Edmond. There's enough brick in that wall to build 5 huge houses and it looks like it's the type of thing that will have support problems from the get go.

corwin1968
07-13-2017, 08:08 PM
It's actually 6 acres on the SW corner of NW 178th and Western.

They've had "coming soon" type signs up for a couple of weeks or more. This store will keep me from having to deal with May Ave traffic going to the NW 150th location.

Pete
07-21-2017, 11:59 AM
There is a story all over the internet today about an incident at the Oncue at I-35 and Waterloo Road.

Evidently it involved a homeless man, his dog and some good Samaritans who were trying to help them with heat-related issues.

Oncue has issued a statement to the effect they are looking into the matter.

You can see the statement and the related discussion on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/OnCueExpress/

Richard at Remax
07-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Sounds like there are two different stories which means the truth is right there in the middle.

OKC2017
08-19-2017, 05:12 PM
idk if anyone else has already mentioned this but i've heard of a new oncue gas station coming to the north east quadrant of the i-240 service road and santa fe crossing. are there any permits filed for this or is it just speculation?

Pete
08-20-2017, 07:49 AM
idk if anyone else has already mentioned this but i've heard of a new oncue gas station coming to the north east quadrant of the i-240 service road and santa fe crossing. are there any permits filed for this or is it just speculation?

Just checked and that property is not owned by OnCue.

Could be under contract but I haven't heard anything.

I'll keep my eye on it.

SoonerDave
08-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm...think there's an established but kinda grungy strip mall with a 7-11 there, with an OnCue-like gas station to the south, and a Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler to the immediate east. Where would there be any place on that corner for an OnCue?

stile99
08-20-2017, 08:51 AM
I believe you're thinking of Walker. NE corner of Santa Fe and 240 is a big emptiness.

SoonerDave
08-20-2017, 09:22 AM
I believe you're thinking of Walker. NE corner of Santa Fe and 240 is a big emptiness.

AHHHH dummy light just went on. You're absolutely right.

gopokes88
08-20-2017, 05:28 PM
I35 and 15th is very close to opening

traxx
08-21-2017, 10:35 AM
OnCue needs to go take a look at *their* next best competition - a currently Texas-only chain called Buc-ees. We were in the DFW area and right at Exit 70 off I-35W is one of their newer locations, and the place is amazing - it's like an OnCue cross-bred with a Hobby Lobby, a State Fair, mixed in with steroids.

This place had, I think, close to *50* gas pumps, to say nothing of a *packed* parking lot in front of a store that's more along the size of a WalMart Grocery Store than an OnCue. I'd conservatively say you could fit *four* OnCue's into this place. There's a section with nothing but camping/fishing gear, another snack section where it looks like they just called EVERY vendor on earth and said "send one-each of every snack food you make." FOUR Icee-drink machines cranking, hot samples of sausage in the middle, along with fresh stuff of all varieties being cooked up in the back - along with bags of roasted nuts and site-made fudge. And we didn't even go into their *home decor* area where they had tons of knickknacks.

Yeah, I know, to be that stunned by a convenience store is a little over the top, but man, this place just reset the bar on what a convenience store really is. This place makes 7-11 look like a vending machine in a bad part of town. It really is to OnCue *exactly* what OnCue is to 7-11 in terms of competitor.
We hit a Buc-ees whilst driving through Texas this summer. I gotta say, it's impressive. The amount of cars they can fuel at the same time is amazing. I tried to count but lost count. For as big and busy as the the store is, they get you in and out. You don't spend much time waiting in line. Their men's rooms were great too. Like the fueling area, it had tons of stalls. Each urinal is separated too, so you're not right up next to another dude. They were clean too.

Pete
09-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Now open at 15th & I-35 in Edmond.

rte66man
09-07-2017, 09:56 AM
We hit a Buc-ees whilst driving through Texas this summer. I gotta say, it's impressive. The amount of cars they can fuel at the same time is amazing. I tried to count but lost count. For as big and busy as the the store is, they get you in and out. You don't spend much time waiting in line. Their men's rooms were great too. Like the fueling area, it had tons of stalls. Each urinal is separated too, so you're not right up next to another dude. They were clean too.

Bucees would be almost impossible to replicate in an urban setting due to the space requirements.

traxx
09-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Bucees would be almost impossible to replicate in an urban setting due to the space requirements.

Ummm...okay

Not sure anyone was advocating for that but...

Brett
09-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Now that the new OnCue on I-35 & 15th St in Edmond is officially open, I am hoping to see some activity at the proposed NW Expressway & Blackwelder location.

Pete
09-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Now that the new OnCue on I-35 & 15th St in Edmond is officially open, I am hoping to see some activity at the proposed NW Expressway & Blackwelder location.

They haven't even filed for a building permit, so nothing is going to happen there any time soon.

rte66man
09-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Ummm...okay

Not sure anyone was advocating for that but...

Not sure why the entire quote from Sooner Dave that you quoted upthread wasn't included, but yes that was exactly what it sounded like to me.

scottk
09-10-2017, 03:33 PM
Any word on when construction starts on the OnCue coming to NW178th and Western? (Across from Louie's and Family Video). Sign facing 178th has been up for awhile now, with no movement on the lot.

Dustin
09-10-2017, 06:48 PM
This was posted on reddit...

https://i.imgur.com/kkHl4jq.jpg

Any idea what he could be doing? lol

Martin
09-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Any idea what he could be doing? lol

maybe he forgot his orange mocha frappuccino?

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ls1fSakB0r7KU/giphy.gif

traxx
09-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Not sure why the entire quote from Sooner Dave that you quoted upthread wasn't included, but yes that was exactly what it sounded like to me.
You're gonna have to help me out here. I don't see what you're talking about. I reread what he said and what I said and nowhere in there could I see either of us suggesting or alluding to the idea of a Bucees being located in the CBD or Midtown or Bricktown or any other place downtown that would be an urban area.

rte66man
09-13-2017, 11:50 AM
You're gonna have to help me out here. I don't see what you're talking about. I reread what he said and what I said and nowhere in there could I see either of us suggesting or alluding to the idea of a Bucees being located in the CBD or Midtown or Bricktown or any other place downtown that would be an urban area.

I've not seen any OnCues except in OKC. My comment was based on assumed land costs, etc if they were to be as big as Bucees. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE stopping at the Bucees on I-45 near Madisonville. While they don't have many more fuel pumps for autos, the building appears to be at least twice the size of any OnCue I've been in. I should have been more exact. There may indeed be room at many suburban locations, but I still think the 2 aren't really comparable. IMO, what a long distance traveler is looking for is different than the urban/suburban customer needs.

traxx
09-13-2017, 12:38 PM
While they don't have many more fuel pumps for autos.

I think OnCue typically has 20 pumps and the larger Bucees have 30+.

OKC2017
09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
is it just me or does a new oncue gas station would totally make sense somewhere along SW 29th Street?
perhaps between western and may, like say, penn or agnew for example.

OKCDrummer77
09-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Heavy equipment is on site and the dirt is being leveled at the Expressway & Blackwelder location.

Pete
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Heavy equipment is on site and the dirt is being leveled at the Expressway & Blackwelder location.

It's sewer work.

They have still not filed for a building permit and I have no idea why.

Pete
10-01-2017, 08:52 AM
They are now doing sewer work at several new OKC locations, which is always their first step before starting in earnest:

- NW Expressway and Blackwelder
- NW 164th and Portland
- SW 104th and Santa Fe
- Highway 66 and Kilpartrick Turnpike

rezman
10-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Pete, any idea as to how far out 178th & Western is?. Right now they're just keeping the lot mowed.

SoonerDave
10-02-2017, 05:45 AM
It's sewer work.

They have still not filed for a building permit and I have no idea why.

I am wondering that myself. I am particularly curious about the new build at 104th, because it's supposed to be a new, larger-format location, but that corner is an oddly shaped, seemingly smallish plot that seems ill-suited for even a normal OnCue. Not sure how they'll make it fit - but no building permit yet...and they said they'd start in October...

d-usa
10-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Didn't realize they were putting one in at 164th and Portland. Will be nice for my commute to work. I leave from NW 174th and May and usually stop at the one just down a couple miles on May. But depending on traffic that can add a good 10 minutes to my commute.

northisland
10-02-2017, 08:13 AM
The one on Portland and NW 164th will be nice. I travel in from the North side of deer creek area. Very Convenient location.

Pete
10-23-2017, 07:26 AM
You can see the work here at NW Expressway and Blackwelder.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue102217.jpg

David
10-23-2017, 07:33 AM
That is going to be so convenient for me once it is open.

AP
10-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Ditto. I live .5 miles south on Blackwelder. So convenient.

Pete
10-24-2017, 07:37 AM
Ingress and egress are going to be a little funny here, as there is no direct access from NW Expressway, only Blackwelder.

I suspect traffic is going to back up at that light going north on Blackwelder.

corwin1968
10-24-2017, 09:48 AM
The one on Portland and NW 164th will be nice. I travel in from the North side of deer creek area. Very Convenient location.

Which corner is this being built on? I go thru that intersection at least twice daily but haven't noticed any land work.

DowntownMan
10-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Which corner is this being built on? I go thru that intersection at least twice daily but haven't noticed any land work.

Northwest

corwin1968
10-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Northwest

Thanks! My drive rotates around the SE corner, so that explains why I haven't noticed any work.

SoonerDave
10-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Still no building permits for SW 104 & Santa Fe for a project that was supposed to have started in October...

RadicalModerate
11-03-2017, 02:15 PM
I've never been in an On Cue I didn't like. If there was an On Cue instead of a QuikTrip up around Tulsa we would have stopped there.

Dustin
11-03-2017, 08:05 PM
The Oncue on 135 in Moore already has Christmas lights up...

jn1780
11-06-2017, 08:37 AM

Not surprising. It seems like everybody immediately switches over to Christmas mode after Halloween.

Pete
11-06-2017, 08:59 AM

I-35 and 15th and Edmond as well. I love it.

BBatesokc
11-29-2017, 09:42 AM
I recently realized that the OnCue by my house at I-35 and East 15th actually has a hot food "OnCue Kitchen" inside. I'm familiar with their hot roller grill area with hot dogs and such (never indulged). But this is different; They offer made to order breakfast items, hamburgers, fries and pizzas from an actual 'kitchen' in the back.

Is this something many of their locations have or is it new? Anyone ever eat a burger from there (any good)? I wanna say there was a sign touting they locally sourced the ground beef from "Ralph's"? Not exactly sure, I'm going from foggy memory.

Roger S
11-29-2017, 09:52 AM
I recently realized that the OnCue by my house at I-35 and East 15th actually has a hot food "OnCue Kitchen" inside. I'm familiar with their hot roller grill area with hot dogs and such (never indulged). But this is different; They offer made to order breakfast items, hamburgers, fries and pizzas from an actual 'kitchen' in the back.

Is this something many of their locations have or is it new? Anyone ever eat a burger from there (any good)? I wanna say there was a sign touting they locally sourced the ground beef from "Ralph's"? Not exactly sure, I'm going from foggy memory.

Pretty sure this is something new... I know the building prototype they use was changed recently.

BBatesokc
11-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Went ahead and stopped in as I headed towards downtown. Had a sausage breakfast burrito. Gotta admit, it was bigger and fresher tasting than anything similar I’ve had from any chain fast food joint. Would eat one again when I some quick breakfast calories.

Thomas Vu
11-29-2017, 11:24 AM
The more I can get a QT like experience without going to Tulsa or Dallas, the better.

cagoklahoma
11-29-2017, 01:34 PM
I’ve had their bacon cheese burger and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

traxx
11-29-2017, 01:51 PM
I'll have to check this out. Sounds good.

Pete
11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
You can see their menu and hours here:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncuekitchen.jpg

Zuplar
11-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Do they list the locations with this? Curious if the one in Mustang has this. I usually only stop for gas so haven't been in it in awhile.

Pete
11-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Do they list the locations with this? Curious if the one in Mustang has this. I usually only stop for gas so haven't been in it in awhile.

Only OnCue with an OnCue Kitchen is the 15th & I-35 Edmond location.

Not sure if they'll be included in future stores.

David
11-29-2017, 04:18 PM
It'd be nice for me if the future Northwest Expy & Blackwelder location has that option.