View Full Version : OnCue OKC Expansion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

shawnw
10-05-2018, 09:48 AM
I emailed them and asked that they AT LEAST engage with the neighborhood, particularly the classen ten penn neighborhood association.

chuck5815
10-05-2018, 11:45 AM
I emailed them and asked that they AT LEAST engage with the neighborhood, particularly the classen ten penn neighborhood association.

I emailed and told them to build whatever they think makes the most sense economically. The proposed design will be really nice for the commuters looking for a safe place to buy ultra premium gas, JUULs, and High Point Beer.

OKC Talker
10-05-2018, 12:31 PM
I emailed and told them to build whatever they think makes the most sense economically. The proposed design will be really nice for the commuters looking for a safe place to buy ultra premium gas, JUULs, and High Point Beer.

Hopefully they'll go for the trifecta and throw in a vape shop and Christie's Toy Box

shawnw
10-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Good design and being economical don't have to be mutually exclusive. A mere rearrangement of the pieces shouldn't change the cost much if any, and nothing about a good design prohibits anyone from being safe or being able to buy the things they want/need. There is also not a negative or costly aspect to engaging with the neighborhood.

chuck5815
10-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Hopefully they'll go for the trifecta and throw in a vape shop and Christie's Toy Box

This is a safe space in a haven of otherwise sh*t gas stations. It should be celebrated. And, of course, you could always patronize the Gulf station right next door if the OC feels too Suburban for you.

5alive
10-05-2018, 11:17 PM
And since this is a safe haven as you put it ...why not make it even better?

chuck5815
10-06-2018, 10:10 AM
And since this is a safe haven as you put it ...why not make it even better?

I don't happen to see any significant benefit to hiding the parking lot behind the building. It will be wildly successful either way. The neighborhood should be ecstatic that such a nicely run establishment would replace the Gulf. I would encourage all of you to not F this up for the rest of us. Thanks.

OKC Talker
10-07-2018, 10:08 AM
The neighborhood should be ecstatic that such a nicely run establishment would replace the Gulf. I would encourage all of you to not F this up for the rest of us. Thanks.
Said every gentrifier ever...

HangryHippo
10-07-2018, 06:43 PM
I don't happen to see any significant benefit to hiding the parking lot behind the building. It will be wildly successful either way. The neighborhood should be ecstatic that such a nicely run establishment would replace the Gulf. I would encourage all of you to not F this up for the rest of us. Thanks...

Plutonic Panda
10-07-2018, 09:03 PM
^^^^ +1

baralheia
10-08-2018, 09:00 AM
I don't happen to see any significant benefit to hiding the parking lot behind the building. It will be wildly successful either way. The neighborhood should be ecstatic that such a nicely run establishment would replace the Gulf. I would encourage all of you to not F this up for the rest of us. Thanks.

The benefit is to make the footprint slightly smaller so we don't lose more 100-year-old homes - one of which was literally just renovated. History should be preserved, but this city is awfully good at destroying our history when we let it.

jedicurt
10-08-2018, 09:37 AM

so if you don't see any significant benefit to hiding it, but think it will be wildly successful either way... then that also means you don't see a significant detriment to hiding the parking lot. so what is the harm in trying to get something that actually looks great in the neighborhood as well as being successful?

chuck5815
10-08-2018, 12:17 PM
so if you don't see any significant benefit to hiding it, but think it will be wildly successful either way... then that also means you don't see a significant detriment to hiding the parking lot. so what is the harm in trying to get something that actually looks great in the neighborhood as well as being successful?

Question: does the existing Gulf look great to you? You guys are acting like Classen Ten-Penn is Lower Manhattan. News Flash: it's not!

Ross MacLochness
10-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Question: does the existing Gulf look great to you? You guys are acting like Classen Ten-Penn is Lower Manhattan. News Flash: it's not!

No. Why is that relevant to this conversation? Why settle for something that reinforces land use of old while everything else in the surrounding area is shifting to a more dense, pedestrian fridl(ier) mode? Why not voice concerns over some historic housing that is being demolished unnecessarily for it? I understand that people are tired of outrage but some things are worth it. Even if some of the ideas to remedy this build are probably unrealistic, this at least gets a conversation started and may indeed incite change for the better. If you disagree with me, great! But please explain why building this gas station as designed is the preferred outcome over any alternative/

MagzOK
10-08-2018, 12:27 PM
I will happily frequent this location. I'm glad they are building here.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2018, 12:54 PM
No. Why is that relevant to this conversation? Why settle for something that reinforces land use of old while everything else in the surrounding area is shifting to a more dense, pedestrian fridl(ier) mode? Why not voice concerns over some historic housing that is being demolished unnecessarily for it? I understand that people are tired of outrage but some things are worth it. Even if some of the ideas to remedy this build are probably unrealistic, this at least gets a conversation started and may indeed incite change for the better. If you disagree with me, great! But please explain why building this gas station as designed is the preferred outcome over any alternative/
+1

chuck5815
10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

I'm not in the business of complaining about the decision-making of a private landowner. If someone decided to sell a historic property to Phillips 66/On-Cue at a significant premium, that's their prerogative.

I think we also need to be clear about what Urban Gas stations look like in other cities. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of them look like the one pictured below. Now, tell me how the Urban Gas station below is materially different from what On-Cue has proposed. Because I'm not seeing any major differences.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-863c29bc0519488c56dd940ebe803a47

jedicurt
10-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I'm not in the business of complaining about the decision-making of a private landowner. If someone decided to sell a historic property to Phillips 66/On-Cue at a significant premium, that's their prerogative.

I think we also need to be clear about what Urban Gas stations look like in other cities. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of them look like the one pictured below. Now, tell me how the Urban Gas station below is materially different from what On-Cue has proposed. Because I'm not seeing any major differences.

just because that is the status quo doesn't mean we can't hope and push for better design. I don't think anyone is upset with OnCue buying the land... i for one am very excited by that and will use it frequently... but that doesn't mean that i can't hope for something that is better than the norm. that is how things get better overtime...

jedicurt
10-08-2018, 02:09 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiOvaLg0_fdAhUEYawKHW7DB1IQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feridon y%2F34715977364&psig=AOvVaw0ER1HPahhmcMEdAl0gLm6P&ust=1539115910220243

HangryHippo
10-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Fair, but if they can be better, can't we require them to be?

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2018, 02:17 PM
chuck, can you clarify something? Are you just against an urban design in general or do you worry that if enough pushback is given that OnCue will pull out entirely instead of building anything?

chuck5815
10-08-2018, 03:01 PM
chuck, can you clarify something? Are you just against an urban design in general or do you worry that if enough pushback is given that OnCue will pull out entirely instead of building anything?

Don't get me wrong. I like urban design. But a gas station is a gas station. Whether the parking lot is exposed or hidden is immaterial to me, especially when the proposed station is far nicer than anything else in the vicinity.

And yes, I do worry that the NIMBY and BANANA folks will get this location 86'd.

Ross MacLochness
10-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like urban design. But a gas station is a gas station. .

There are examples of gas stations that still work to preserve the flow of the Urban design while still being a gas station.. and besides, On Cue isn't really "just a gas station" it's much much larger than most!

Buffalo Bill
10-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Count me in for f-ing this up, just for you.

BG918
10-08-2018, 11:01 PM
They could do something like this:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thepress.net/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/73/c7321382-656e-11e6-9b19-77726f20f1c1/57b5fa4eb9a16.image.png?resize=750%2C485

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like urban design. But a gas station is a gas station. Whether the parking lot is exposed or hidden is immaterial to me, especially when the proposed station is far nicer than anything else in the vicinity.

And yes, I do worry that the NIMBY and BANANA folks will get this location 86'd.Well, I happen to believe that OnCue is doing just fine and have the cash to spare to better the community and try a new urban concept that can diversify the companies store designs. Less cookie cutter isn’t bad.

jonny d
10-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Well, I happen to believe that OnCue is doing just fine and have the cash to spare to better the community and try a new urban concept that can diversify the companies store designs. Less cookie cutter isn’t bad.

While I agree in principle, the old adage "If it ain't broke..." comes to mind. They have a formula that literally allows them to almost name their income. They probably won't deviate from it, even though it would be nice if they did.

chuck5815
10-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Count me in for f-ing this up, just for you.

It's going to feel really good to pump Super Premium Gas on that land. And then maybe crush some High Point Beers.

gopokes88
10-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Flip side of the coin here,

if the neighborhood can convince OnCue to adapt to a more urban friendly without the force of government, isn't that the exact same thing?

I haven't (yet) seen anyone say OKC should come down hard on OnCue and force them to do something, it's mostly just private citizens lobbying a private corporation to do something a better way for their neighborhood. In my Republican mind that is absolutely beautiful and the way it should be.

For all those that have a dog in this fight, OnCue in my experience has been a good corporate neighbor that listens. I met the owners on sight right after they opened 63rd and NW Expressway. They sought me out while pumping gas to ask some questions. They'll listen so long as it doesn't devolve into an angry mob.

stile99
10-09-2018, 12:20 PM
For all those that have a dog in this fight, OnCue in my experience has been a good corporate neighbor that listens. I met the owners on sight right after they opened 63rd and NW Expressway. They sought me out while pumping gas to ask some questions. They'll listen so long as it doesn't devolve into an angry mob.

But see, that's the trick. It seems there's a fine line between politely asking and rabidly demanding. One would think there would be a clear demarcation, but it doesn't always play out that way.

gopokes88
10-09-2018, 01:26 PM
But see, that's the trick. It seems there's a fine line between politely asking and rabidly demanding. One would think there would be a clear demarcation, but it doesn't always play out that way.

It’s not always perfect but I think okc-itans do a good job. I’m trying to think of some examples of citizens successfully lobbying and getting a corp to change plans. If they can get organized and be respectful but clear I think OnCue will listen. OnCue is a well run company, and they freed us from the plight of 7-11s too

shawnw
10-09-2018, 02:39 PM
It's kind of both in this situation...

Nice ask... please build a better designed station - thanks!

Demand... DON'T tear down that 100+ year old house for the love of god!!!

David
10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
It’s not always perfect but I think okc-itans do a good job. I’m trying to think of some examples of citizens successfully lobbying and getting a corp to change plans. If they can get organized and be respectful but clear I think OnCue will listen. OnCue is a well run company, and they freed us from the plight of 7-11s too

Braums at Classen Circle.

Swake
10-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Quit Trip is notoriously difficult to deal with when locals want changes to stores but here is a new "3rd Generation" QT in Fort Worth pushed to the street with the pumps behind the store.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1101+Hemphill+St,+Fort+Worth,+TX+76104/@32.732862,-97.3321137,108a,35y,90h,39.45t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e7174debd9451:0x4060a 1794baf8f7d!8m2!3d32.7324717!4d-97.3312342

And here in Tulsa QT is kind of doing a better store in the Cherry Street area at 15th and Lewis. This is starting construction now:
https://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/14782667_G.jpg?auto=webp&disable=upscale&height=480&fit=bounds

Kind of.

BG918
10-09-2018, 07:58 PM
QT and OnCue probably could care less about building an urban store, they just want to make it easy to pull in, get gas and a drink/snack/cigarettes/etc. QT’s are nice but I wish they would stop building their large stores in Tulsa’s urban neighborhoods and create an urban model like what 7-Eleven has done in some cities like Denver.

PaddyShack
10-10-2018, 01:57 PM
So when I was in Vienna I would pass by this shell station:

Vienna Shell Station (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shell/@48.1903103,16.2943518,81m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x476d079e5136ca9f:0x fdc2e58a51a25b46!2sVienna,+Austria!3b1!8m2!3d48.20 81743!4d16.3738189!3m4!1s0x476da7efe65f771b:0x4539 94419be96391!8m2!3d48.1902705!4d16.2944768)

It is fairly large with an express version of Spar, a grocery but it has trees and stuff on top of where the pumps are. Granted it looks huge and ugly, but the land usage is fairly urban.

floyd the barber
10-10-2018, 09:44 PM
QT and OnCue probably could care less about building an urban store, they just want to make it easy to pull in, get gas and a drink/snack/cigarettes/etc. QT’s are nice but I wish they would stop building their large stores in Tulsa’s urban neighborhoods and create an urban model like what 7-Eleven has done in some cities like Denver.

As far as I am concerned, OnCue is just a poor attempt at copying QT.

Not a factual argument. It's more opinion than anything else.

stile99
10-11-2018, 05:39 AM
If it is a poor attempt, it's a well-executed poor attempt. OnCue is eating 7-Eleven's lunch and is a bit curious about what QuikTrip may have on their plate. Opinions are fine, my opinion is the Happy Meal is a poor attempt at copying Burger Chef's Funmeal. That opinion actually has some objective facts to back it up but that doesn't change the fact that McDonald's kicked their rears and people under a certain age have to Google "Burger Chef Funmeal" today.

jompster
10-12-2018, 12:07 PM
As far as I am concerned, OnCue is just a poor attempt at copying QT.

Not a factual argument. It's more opinion than anything else.

Wasn't one of the first OnCue locations built in an old vacated QuikTrip in Stillwater anyway? Seems like it was on the north side of Stilly on a busy corner, and QT vacated it after their handshake agreement with 7 Eleven. So not as much copy as "QT's little brother".

floyd the barber
10-13-2018, 04:26 AM
Wasn't one of the first OnCue locations built in an old vacated QuikTrip in Stillwater anyway? Seems like it was on the north side of Stilly on a busy corner, and QT vacated it after their handshake agreement with 7 Eleven. So not as much copy as "QT's little brother".

Maybe. I don't know. I'm not from Oklahoma.

I think what bothers me about OnCue is that there isn't any consistency with their catalog. My girlfriend really enjoys their ice coffee, but only a few have them. The same can be said with other stuff; frozen yogurt and drinks come to mind. Sounds like a stupid gripe, but I'm not going to stop in for ice coffee if there's a good chance that location doesn't have it.

QTs and 7-Elevens are very good at product consistency. Each location caries the same products as the other.

But OnCue have some of the cleanest bathrooms I have seen in that industry. I'll give them credit when credit is due.

And I am probably just bitter OKC has no QTs, but that's not OnCue's fault...

okatty
10-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Rumor is an Oncue going in on N. Council just south of Memorial along with some multi-family. Doing a lot of tree removal and dirt work the last couple of weeks along and north of that creek.

Pete
10-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Rumor is an Oncue going in on N. Council just south of Memorial along with some multi-family. Doing a lot of tree removal and dirt work the last couple of weeks along and north of that creek.

US Star owns the corner; they have/had a c-store at Hefner and Council but I believe it is closed.

Could have a contract pending with OnCue. I'll keep my eye on it.

okatty
10-13-2018, 08:04 AM
I understand the neighborhood just south (Canyon Lakes) got a newsletter with that info but I have not seen it. Maybe the dirt work and tree removal is related to the multi-family (south of the corner).

A lot going on in that mile line on council with a new shopping center area going in on the South end (NW 122nd and Council).

roci28
10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
I heard a rumor there was going to be a new OnCue built across from Winco around 39th and Portland where The Porthole and laundry mat are. Any validity to this news??

Driving by this location today there is now a sign up saying "OnCue coming soon"

stile99
10-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Driving by this location today there is now a sign up saying "OnCue coming soon"

If my brain farts are coming true, I guess all I can say is buckle up, things are going to get interesting.

okiefied09
10-13-2018, 05:44 PM
The sign is in front of the old halal market building and the old motel/car lot that was demolished recently. The corner of St. Clair and the service rd.

Ward
10-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Yes, in today's Saturday morning newspaper business section, page 4c, it states OnCue paid $1.2 million to Lowest Price Auto Sales LLC for 3600 NW 39th.

ChrisHayes
10-14-2018, 01:10 PM
I saw where they're building an OnCue on the northeast corner of SW 15th and Mustang Road, right across from 7 Eleven. Great place for an OnCue, right across from one of the better 7 Elevens. Hopefully that's the beginning of that large "town center" development.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Is there any word on the OnCue going in at Northwest Expressway and Blackwelder, by Penn Square?

Pete
10-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Is there any word on the OnCue going in at Northwest Expressway and Blackwelder, by Penn Square?

Still waiting for their building permit to be issued.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Still waiting for their building permit to be issued.

Thanks, Pete. BTW, congratualtions on all the good things happening. Exciting times in OKC media!

warreng88
10-16-2018, 09:11 AM
The JR is reporting:

"OnCue decides working with neighbors is good for business. OnCue plans a convenience store with gas pumps at NW 12th Street and N. Western Avenue in Oklahoma City; the neighborhood association is on board."

I don't have a subscription anymore, so I am not sure what else is going into it, but wanted to put it out there.

d-usa
10-16-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm just ready for the Highway 74 store.

rtz
10-17-2018, 12:20 PM
The new pumps at the station by the Capital handle contactless payments and ApplePay works real nice. Just tried it today.

https://i.postimg.cc/zVN5PMJQ/1179-EF32-D68-C-4-EE5-AB3-A-3-D5858-BF4399.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zVN5PMJQ)

FighttheGoodFight
10-17-2018, 12:23 PM
The new pumps at the station by the Capital handle contactless payments and ApplePay works real nice. Just tried it today.

https://i.postimg.cc/zVN5PMJQ/1179-EF32-D68-C-4-EE5-AB3-A-3-D5858-BF4399.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zVN5PMJQ)

FINALLY. No more CC scamers on machines.

jedicurt
10-17-2018, 12:27 PM
FINALLY. No more CC scamers on machines.

just make sure to check for attached RF detectors... scammers can still get info... it's a bit more difficult to then use, but not impossible

FighttheGoodFight
10-17-2018, 01:16 PM
just make sure to check for attached RF detectors... scammers can still get info... it's a bit more difficult to then use, but not impossible

Not really worried about RF scammers with Apple/Google Pay. As I understand it they send out unique numbers for each transaction to the merchant that aren't even the real numbers of your CC or attached to you at all.

shawnw
10-18-2018, 03:47 PM
aforementioned article
http://journalrecord.com/2018/10/15/oncue-decides-working-with-neighbors-is-good-for-business/

Pete
10-19-2018, 04:36 AM
OnCue buys another key corner (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=555-OnCue-buys-another-key-corner)

OnCue Express continues its rapid acquisition and expansion in the Oklahoma City area.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue082518b.jpg

The Stillwater-based convenience store chain has purchased 3.4 acres on the southeast corner of NW 39th and Portland and has begun clearing the land in advance of building another of their large-scale operations.

Earlier this year OnCue purchased the old Carlyle Motel which had been more recently been operating as a used car lot. That set of buildings was razed in August.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue0825181.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue082518c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue082518d.jpg

On September 30th, the venerable Porthole bar closed for the last time and that property is also being readied for demolition.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue101418b.jpg

And a third property, the OK Halal Restaurant and grocery, has been acquired by OnCue and vacated.

At this time it does not appear that the corner property, Route 66 Laundromat, will be acquired and included.

The new location will be just over a mile away from the 36th & May OnCue.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oncue101418.jpg

akover
10-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Any updates on the OnCue at NW Expressway and Blackwelder? No work has been done there for over a year now and they have a lot of money sunk into that project!