View Full Version : Monkey Bars? Ropes Course?

BBatesokc
08-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I remember a thread seeking the existence of any parks with pulls up bars (or something to that effect) - but couldn't find the thread (because the search feature is horrendous).

But, I'm trying to find (preferably a public space) with real adult sized Monkey Bars. Any suggestions? The wife and I are training for the Tough Mudder and this is one of the obstacles that concerns us because we have no way to test ourselves or prepare for it. Looking for something a 6' adult can utilize that has at least a 10' run (prefer longer).

That said, do we not have any real ropes courses in our around the metro? They had/have a great one in Austin that you could join or simply pay-per-play and train at.

I'd love if they could put some real obstacles - monkey bars, walls, cargo net, etc. - every quarter mile or so along some part of the river running path system (off in the grass of course).

kevinpate
08-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I think the thread you seek is this one:
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30480

kevinpate
08-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't know of any open 9-5 type ropes courses in the areas.

Last Frontier Council has their COPE course with numerous low and high elements at John Nichols Scout Ranch (formerly Camp Kickapoo) off SW 119 and County Line. I know they used to permit outside groups to schedule appointments. I haven't been active with the course crews for several years though.
Their website (http://www.lastfrontiercouncil.org ) may contain info.

There used to be a course at OU down near Hwy 9, but I'm not sure which dept. on campus operates it, nor if it is even still in place. The next closest one that comes to mind, assuming it is still in play, is out at the votech at Chickasha.

ExtremistPullup
08-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I wish there was your best bet is a large school playground.

Angie Debo in Edmond has a long stretch of monkey bars.

I drove back to the ou ropes course not really what you are looking for.

okc needs an adult playground.

metro
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Try Hafer Park in Esmind, they have an outdoor adult workout area. Also there are several ropes courses in the metro. The Lighthouse might be the only public membership type without having a group.

ExtremistPullup
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
i have word that a family friendly "gym" with a climbing wall with foam pit, obstacle course, boxing ring, "crossfit" area is being planned in Edmond near 150th and kelly. maybe opening in September.